Nerdarchy Live Chat #21: Talking Starfinder with James Sutter


General Discussion


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Has anyone seen this yet? Is there any good, new information in this interview? I haven't seen it yet and I cannot because I am at work now.

Here is the link.


Ashanderai wrote:

Has anyone seen this yet? Is there any good, new information in this interview? I haven't seen it yet and I cannot because I am at work now.

Here is the link.

damage math is different.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Steven "Troll" O'Neal wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:

Has anyone seen this yet? Is there any good, new information in this interview? I haven't seen it yet and I cannot because I am at work now.

Here is the link.

damage math is different.

Yeah, that's not new. They have been harping on that since the earliest interviews. So, nothing else new, then, I guess. Oh, well... I'll just have to spend an hour watching after I get home. (Not that I wouldn't anyway.)


Ashanderai wrote:
Steven "Troll" O'Neal wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:

Has anyone seen this yet? Is there any good, new information in this interview? I haven't seen it yet and I cannot because I am at work now.

Here is the link.

damage math is different.
Yeah, that's not new. They have been harping on that since the earliest interviews. So, nothing else new, then, I guess. Oh, well... I'll just have to spend an hour watching after I get home. (Not that I wouldn't anyway.)

James' Skype feed kept cutting out, so it was difficult to say what was "new". There was clarification on the theme mechanic which was interesting.


Yeah, it sounds like everyone can choose skills, not sure if that means every skill is trainable but only certain ones get the +3 kicker or if its more of "choose X skills as class" and then your background theme grants abilities every few levels and thats how you customize classes. They say you should be able to bend any class to be competent for just about any role but some classes will excell over others at those rolls. Cited technomancer or Mystics using guns competently. I didnt hear much to clarify the how or what competent means. They did say that most Mystics get their spells from the gods or worship though which i think is the first time they linked that so closely to divine magic.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yes it seems that there may be more than one theme. It seems weapon scaling is related to getting better weapons. Seems as you level may get access to better weapons. It was mentioned that stamina was viewed like buffer (think word used shield) you get that back faster. Hit point damage took longer to heal. Not much more beyond that. I am not too sure there will be any special effects applied when you take hit point damage. Although Owens Stephens did the Saga Star Wars that had wound levels. So there may be penalties are conditions applied when take hit point damage. We will see. If not it should not be to hard to do. I do seem to remember in the first demo one the characters had condition. I think was off balance or something like that. I would be curious to see how that was applied.

It was mentioned several times this was different game. It was also mentioned a big part of the game would be doing things on ground like combat. With it mentioned several times that it was different game. I think that an extensive preview of ground combat would be good idea. I think somewhere on forum post someone said like going from 3.5 to pathfinder. I would say it would be more like going from Pathfinder to D&D 5th.

For me it will not change me buying 3 copies. I have played systems from Fate to Phoenix Command/ Living Steel. So systems tweaks will not bother me. Will hack and add what I want. However, those wanting Pathfinder in space I do not think this is it.

Dave2


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Off-target. I believe that was the condition


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Has Sutter or anyone mentioned specifically the Scholar or Ace Pilot themes before? That stood out to me as new material. Also ended the ongoing question about the best way to make a scientist PC: anybody with a scholar theme (but especially technomancers and mechanics). I really like the sound of these themes so far. Hoping they have a theme for a hacking background. I've had my eye on an Operative or Mechanic build for a Lisbeth Salander type black hat PI for a while now.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Opsylum wrote:
Has Sutter or anyone mentioned specifically the Scholar or Ace Pilot themes before? That stood out to me as new material. Also ended the ongoing question about the best way to make a scientist PC: anybody with a scholar theme (but especially technomancers and mechanics). I really like the sound of these themes so far. Hoping they have a theme for a hacking background. I've had my eye on an Operative or Mechanic build for a Lisbeth Salander type black hat PI for a while now.

Those themes are new mentions. The only one previously mentioned to my knowledge was Outlaw.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thanks that might be the condition. Off Target.

Dave2


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Ace Pilot and Scholar are definitely news to me! i like the idea of themes, curious to see which one comes across the most like a medic, ala Star Trek


So i wonder where the breaks are between classes and themes now, would you get weapon and armor proficiency from both? But that would mean a Soldier with a gunslinger theme would lose out on redundant proficiency. Would a shootist theme add extra combat abilities like a move action to add +X/X to your attack to stack on to your spell or static boosts?

Ace Pilot and Scholar sound like they are easy enough, one touches flying which i doubt any class has an integral ability with and the other could be a prepackaged bardic lore which if no other class has it already (The Envoy seems like the closest to bard but doesnt seem to have the integral knowledge role) so great, anyone can take up some skill monkey aspects. But what about combat themes? That seems like a much more limited design space since every class should already have a thing they bring for combat and action economy is such a tricky thing to balance. I would be surprised to see a combat theme that adds actions that compete with what a class can already provide (what theme ability could compete with spell casting as we know it? What action could be better than a martial getting a full attack?)


What's the role of a Bard in a futuristic setting? I think one problem is a bard is going t be much more famous with the public due to recording devices and mass media, he's going to be chased around by his fans and getting cornered for an autograph at every place he is recognized. He would have to spend part of his time touring, just so he can keep himself relevant and the sales of his albums up, and don't forget the entertainment media, they'll be snapping pictures of him at the most inopportune times!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tom Kalbfus wrote:
What's the role of a Bard in a futuristic setting? I think one problem is a bard is going t be much more famous with the public due to recording devices and mass media, he's going to be chased around by his fans and getting cornered for an autograph at every place he is recognized. He would have to spend part of his time touring, just so he can keep himself relevant and the sales of his albums up, and don't forget the entertainment media, they'll be snapping pictures of him at the most inopportune times!

Technology is already making that less necessary in our world. In the Starfinder setting, a Bard could just upload videos of himself performing during downtime to his "studio" service.

In addition, since that process is so easy, the sheer number of "famous" entertainers would virtually guarantee that few of them are too famous -- there would just be too many such entertainers for any of them to stand out in most cases.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tom Kalbfus wrote:
What's the role of a Bard in a futuristic setting?

Obviously, to make it super green!


Tom Kalbfus wrote:
What's the role of a Bard in a futuristic setting? I think one problem is a bard is going t be much more famous with the public due to recording devices and mass media, he's going to be chased around by his fans and getting cornered for an autograph at every place he is recognized. He would have to spend part of his time touring, just so he can keep himself relevant and the sales of his albums up, and don't forget the entertainment media, they'll be snapping pictures of him at the most inopportune times!

A Bard is a lot more than the stereotype of a medieval rockstar though, they are the scholars and professors of Golarion just as much. There are archetypes to play the super famous but that was not exactly their core role, just a thing they could be used to portray. Wandering diplomatic or explorers or archaeologists or researchers are all just as Bardic as that. Since we have Envoys taking over the Bard's role i would assume they focus more on the social and knowledge based skills. Perhaps there is a theme for playing a celebrity? Why not be a famous athlete or war hero instead of a singer, i could see it as a universal background...


Torbyne wrote:
Yeah, it sounds like everyone can choose skills, not sure if that means every skill is trainable but only certain ones get the +3 kicker or if its more of "choose X skills as class" and then your background theme grants abilities every few levels and thats how you customize classes. They say you should be able to bend any class to be competent for just about any role but some classes will excell over others at those rolls. Cited technomancer or Mystics using guns competently. I didnt hear much to clarify the how or what competent means. They did say that most Mystics get their spells from the gods or worship though which i think is the first time they linked that so closely to divine magic.

That's unfortunate. I was hoping with the 'no arcane or divine magic, just magic' that the classes wouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing as the default flavor. Was looking more for a 31st century sorcerer in the mystic, not a cleric lite. Pathfinders already choking on too many variations of the same divine class, was hoping not to see another here.


Voss wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Yeah, it sounds like everyone can choose skills, not sure if that means every skill is trainable but only certain ones get the +3 kicker or if its more of "choose X skills as class" and then your background theme grants abilities every few levels and thats how you customize classes. They say you should be able to bend any class to be competent for just about any role but some classes will excell over others at those rolls. Cited technomancer or Mystics using guns competently. I didnt hear much to clarify the how or what competent means. They did say that most Mystics get their spells from the gods or worship though which i think is the first time they linked that so closely to divine magic.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping with the 'no arcane or divine magic, just magic' that the classes wouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing as the default flavor. Was looking more for a 31st century sorcerer in the mystic, not a cleric lite. Pathfinders already choking on too many variations of the same divine class, was hoping not to see another here.

If you havent had the chance to check out the video yet, they more fully explain that while a lot of mystics gain their powers from the gods not all do and that where ever the powers come from it is not thought of as divine as it would have been back on Golarion. So it could be considered that they are the old Oracle, Witch and Sorcerer classes all rolled into one. It sounds like you could pray for powers or have an eldritch patron or just have some weird genetic quirk that makes a Mystic.


Torbyne wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:
What's the role of a Bard in a futuristic setting? I think one problem is a bard is going t be much more famous with the public due to recording devices and mass media, he's going to be chased around by his fans and getting cornered for an autograph at every place he is recognized. He would have to spend part of his time touring, just so he can keep himself relevant and the sales of his albums up, and don't forget the entertainment media, they'll be snapping pictures of him at the most inopportune times!
A Bard is a lot more than the stereotype of a medieval rockstar though, they are the scholars and professors of Golarion just as much. There are archetypes to play the super famous but that was not exactly their core role, just a thing they could be used to portray. Wandering diplomatic or explorers or archaeologists or researchers are all just as Bardic as that. Since we have Envoys taking over the Bard's role i would assume they focus more on the social and knowledge based skills. Perhaps there is a theme for playing a celebrity? Why not be a famous athlete or war hero instead of a singer, i could see it as a universal background...

I think celebrities in Starfinder would be much like celebrities now. Sure there are people that are known the world over. If I say the name "Kanye", it's safe to assume that most of you are aware I'm talking about Kanye West. That doesn't necessarily mean you like him or would be able to pick him out of a crowd though.

And at that, there's a lot of minor celebrities and people who are only famous in certain regions or areas. Even with the internet. Tim Duncan is pretty famous, and quite the big deal in San Antonio. Pretty sure he's known outside of San Antonio too, but I doubt everybody here knows who he is.

There's going to be occasions where you've heard of them, but don't know what they look like or even how they got famous. I assume most people don't know why the Kardashians are famous. Im pretty unaware of what they look like.

I think a lot of the time, a lot of celebrities aren't celebrity enough that it will be a problem.

Also though, there isn't a Bard class, and I don't think besides archetypes that specifically gave fame, bards were really that famous. Envoys probably won't be musical, but just inspiring I feel?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think you would go with a "Celebrity" theme (there is a character in the Wraith Squadron series who was a movie star).

Meanwhile, an Envoy Scholar would cover most of the functionality of a bard.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Dave2 wrote:

I am not too sure there will be any special effects applied when you take hit point damage. Although Owens Stephens did the Saga Star Wars that had wound levels. So there may be penalties are conditions applied when take hit point damage. We will see. If not it should not be to hard to do. I do seem to remember in the first demo one the characters had condition. I think was off balance or something like that. I would be curious to see how that was applied.

Not a direct answer, but in the GAMA space combat demo they showed critical thresholds that gave conditions when enough damage was taken to the ship. Pretty much a, "For every HD of HP you lose you gain a malfunction."

There's ground to argue on that this may translate, in a way, to the character combat as well.

Link to the ship demo here.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Nerdarchy Live Chat #21: Talking Starfinder with James Sutter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.