faction questions


Pathfinder Society


Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding factions in PFS play.

1.) I have a character who started in the Andoran Lodge and is now in Liberty's Edge. Do the faction titles and prestige awards listed for Andoran in the PFS Field Guide still apply? For example, can he spend 1PP when he has 20 Fame and gain the title Eagle Knight?

2.) In the Guild Guide 8.0, there is a list of favored skills by faction. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that these favored skills provide any real mechanical bonus for PFS characters. Are they just for flavor / assistance in understanding what the factions are all about?

3.) Both of my PFS characters have faction journal cards from seasons 6 and 7. They've accomplished some of the goals on each sheet ... but I've played so infrequently over the past couple seasons that I haven't even bothered starting a season 8 card. 3 questions: a.) Is it worth it to start a new card? b.) Are the goals transferrable from one card to the next? c.) Do goals achieved in past seasons still apply for the current season?

Any insight that anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dark Archive 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

1. Faction titles and prestige awards form the Field Guide are still legal, as long as the faction is still around. This means nothing from the Shadow Lodge, Lantern Lodge, or Sczarni can be gained.

2. The list for favored skills is in reference to the faction pins, and explains which skills get the additional bonus.

3. A PC joining a faction can only acquire the most recent version of a faction’s card; however, a PC who has checked at least one box on the earlier faction card may still continue to fulfill its goals and earn its rewards even into the new season. The number of goals completed is measured by those fulfilled on that card only—goals completed on a different Faction Journal Card do not contribute to those on the first card. It's up to you if you think it's worth it to start a new card for season 8.
Each Faction Journal Card provides one or more new rewards as well as at least one reward that appeared during a previous season. If a PC would receive a duplicate reward that she earned on a previous card, she instead treats her effective number of goals completed on all cards as though it were one higher.


Alanya wrote:

1. Faction titles and prestige awards form the Field Guide are still legal, as long as the faction is still around. This means nothing from the Shadow lodge or Sczarni can be gained.

2. The list for favored skills is in reference to the faction pins, and explains which skills get the additional bonus.

3. A PC joining a faction can only acquire the most recent version of a faction’s card; however, a PC who has checked at least one box on the earlier faction card may still continue to fulfill its goals and earn its rewards even into the new season. The number of goals completed is measured by those fulfilled on that card only—goals completed on a different Faction Journal Card do not contribute to those on the first card. It's up to you if you think it's worth it to start a new card for season 8.
Each Faction Journal Card provides one or more new rewards as well as at least one reward that appeared during a previous season. If a PC would receive a duplicate reward that she earned on a previous card, she instead treats her effective number of goals completed on all cards as though it were one higher.

Thanks, Alanya! Some follow-ups:

1.) By this reasoning, since Andoran isn't technically a faction anymore, does that mean that its rewards in the Field Guide are irrelevant?

2.) I can't believe I missed that part!

3.) Got it, thanks.

Dark Archive 5/5

Most of the rewards are usually taken for character flavor instead of mechanical effect, but they do provide small, sometimes situational bonuses. I know of a few scenarios in which an Eagle Knight character receives either a bonus, or a negative (depending on where the scenario takes place), or can try a knowledge check untrained because it's assumed you would have had access to that particular information.


Alanya wrote:
Most of the rewards are usually taken for character flavor instead of mechanical effect, but they do provide small, sometimes situational bonuses. I know of a few scenarios in which an Eagle Knight character receives either a bonus, or a negative (depending on where the scenario takes place), or can try a knowledge check untrained because it's assumed you would have had access to that particular information.

I guess I should rephrase my question: Since Andoran isn't technically a faction anymore, can my character still buy its rewards, or is that no longer an option?

Sorry for the confusion.

Dark Archive 5/5

Yes, you can still take the rewards. The factions moved away from being country based, but the rewards are still relevant in their new form/goals:

Andoran = Liberty's Edge
Cheliax = Dark Archives
Grand Lodge = unchanged
Lantern Lodge = n/a
Osirion = Scarab Sages
Qadira = The Exchange
Sczarni = n/a (was absorbed into The Exchange, but lost all it's previous resources)
Shadow Lodge = n/a
Silver Crusade = unchanged
Taldor = Sovereign Court


Alanya wrote:

Yes, you can still take the rewards. The factions moved away from being country based, but the rewards are still relevant in their new form/goals:

Andoran = Liberty's Edge
Cheliax = Dark Archives
Grand Lodge = unchanged
Lantern Lodge = n/a
Osirion = Scarab Sages
Qadira = The Exchange
Sczarni = n/a (was absorbed into The Exchange, but lost all it's previous resources)
Shadow Lodge = n/a
Silver Crusade = unchanged
Taldor = Sovereign Court

Excellent, thanks again!

Dark Archive 5/5

You're welcome :)

Grand Lodge 4/5

Alanya wrote:

3. A PC joining a faction can only acquire the most recent version of a faction’s card; however, a PC who has checked at least one box on the earlier faction card may still continue to fulfill its goals and earn its rewards even into the new season. The number of goals completed is measured by those fulfilled on that card only—goals completed on a different Faction Journal Card do not contribute to those on the first card. It's up to you if you think it's worth it to start a new card for season 8.

Each Faction Journal Card provides one or more new rewards as well as at least one reward that appeared during a previous season. If a PC would receive a duplicate reward that she earned on a previous card, she instead treats her effective number of goals completed on all cards as though it were one higher.

You might consider that continuing with a previous season's card gets you closer to completing its goals and earning rewards, but if you have multiple cards, you might be able to check off a goal that isn't available on the earlier one. Thus I think it's beneficial to put all the faction journal cards you can on a character but primarily work on the one that's already most complete.

Alternatively, if you regard an earlier season's card as reflecting the faction's goals for that season, you might only keep or concentrate on the current season's card, or the card for the season for which you expect to play the most adventures.

Grand Lodge 5/5 ⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

I think that is great advice.

I often put a single check on faction cards in order to keep them open. Also sometimes (especially with Grand Lodge when it comes to countries) there may nothing that you can check on your most complete card, but you can check off items on one of the others.

Hmm

Grand Lodge 3/5

@Alanya - the section of the guide that let you buy prestige rewards from the old factions isn't in the Season 8 guide anymore. It's not clear if that was intentional or not.

Dark Archive 5/5

Markov Spiked Chain wrote:
@Alanya - the section of the guide that let you buy prestige rewards from the old factions isn't in the Season 8 guide anymore. It's not clear if that was intentional or not.

I didn't notice - thanks for pointing that out. I know there are quite a few things that were inadvertently removed form the guide, this may have been one of them, or it might have been intentional. I've put in an inquiry, and if I get an answer I'll let you know!

5/5 Venture-Captain, Ohio—Northern aka GinoA

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The previous guides did make it clear that certain factions were renamed, not eliminated and replaced. So it's quite reasonable to assume that older naming doesn't affect availability.

Until I hear otherwise, that's the stance I'm taking.

Grand Lodge 3/5

Does anyone know if the Season 8 guide has been clarified at all here? I'd really like to buy Master of Trade. :)

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

Markov Spiked Chain wrote:
Does anyone know if the Season 8 guide has been clarified at all here? I'd really like to buy Master of Trade. :)

Go ahead and buy it. we're too close to season 9 for a clarification

The season 8 guide tried to trim the fat to come in with a word count under gone with the wind and a few important rules got cut with it.

Scarab Sages 5/5 Venture-Captain, Washington—Spokane

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:
Does anyone know if the Season 8 guide has been clarified at all here? I'd really like to buy Master of Trade. :)

Go ahead and buy it. we're too close to season 9 for a clarification

The season 8 guide tried to trim the fat to come in with a word count under gone with the wind and a few important rules got cut with it.

I second this, go ahead and buy it. The section on Faction Rewards being allowed from old to current factions was accidentally removed from the 8.0 guide and we are too close to Season 9. The Master of Trade is a Qadira Faction reward which converted to Exchange.

Dark Archive 5/5

Tonya said at PaizoCon that at this point there would be no season 8 guide revision, it's just turned into the season 9 guide. A lot of stuff was accidentally trimmed out in their effort to reduce word count, though she didn't mention particulars. As a VL, I would allow anyone in my region to get this until there's an official reversal.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / faction questions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.