Are You Not Entertained - Diversions on Golarion


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion


As we look at the worlds we create and play in we often times overlook how our populace keeps themselves entertained, unless of course that entertainment is the center of our stories. Today we looks at some of the entertainments on Golarion and how our characters may be one of the many folk who come from a background in some of those diversion. Whether you’re people enjoy staged gladiatorial battles, bloody pit fights, or the beautiful arias of the opera how do they keep themselves entertained?

What sort of entertainments have you created for your world/games? Have you had entire games revolve around these diversions? Have you played – or had main characters – who came from a background of one of these entertainments? Have you done it without being a traditional bard?


there's a high lvl PFS scenario that is based completely around an arena fight - can't remember what it's called - there's also an arena in WotR 4 with 1 fight prepared and more suggested to happen - I played the former and GM'd the latter - they're both quite good


dharkus wrote:
there's a high lvl PFS scenario that is based completely around an arena fight - can't remember what it's called - there's also an arena in WotR 4 with 1 fight prepared and more suggested to happen - I played the former and GM'd the latter - they're both quite good

I think the module plunder and peril has a pit fight.


Some version of polo seems like it would be logical. Polo was created to train cavalry. Golarion would have a need of this as well. Maybe in Korvosa, they play air polo...


Waterhammer wrote:

Some version of polo seems like it would be logical. Polo was created to train cavalry. Golarion would have a need of this as well. Maybe in Korvosa, they play air polo...

Polo seems like a very aristocratic game. I could imagine it being played by the crumbling nobility of Taldor.

Liberty's Edge

My answer to this was to create a School of Illusions/Taverns across the world called 'Phantasmal Delights' magical shows that delight tavern goers. Kind of like going to see the movies here, only with Bards & Illusionists


WE know that fireworks are a thing.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Apupunchau wrote:
Waterhammer wrote:

Some version of polo seems like it would be logical. Polo was created to train cavalry. Golarion would have a need of this as well. Maybe in Korvosa, they play air polo...

Polo seems like a very aristocratic game. I could imagine it being played by the crumbling nobility of Taldor.

For much of history, cavalry was aristocratic as well because you needed to be able to afford a horse that wasn't devoted to being a working animal.


Performances: tavern bards (singing, storytelling, etc), traveling circuses (a couple of modules), theater productions (Council of Thieves, part 2)

Games: card games and betting; not sure if we have any specific references to sports besides gladiatorial fighting

Lots of songs

I think there are lots of entertainment outlets throughout Golarion. Bards make entertainment easy, but there's a reason why Perform is an untrained skill set.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We have music (perform skill), magic (prestidigitation), stupid pet tricks (handle animal), fireworks and cards. But we don't seem to have sports. I have surmised Paizo does not appear to be staffed with sports fans.

Pity. I would like to see more sports represented - and I am not talking about all-inclusive, everyone-gets-a-trophy putt putt, disc golf, badminton, etc.

Sports is an untapped mine of adventure and game design ideas. Many concepts already have game mechanics in place - Lord knows we don't need more page-bloating sub-systems.

Imagine a competing distance javelin chucker needing rescue. "Thanks guys! I got five of them before they got too close. The last three surrounded me. Would you like me to autograph your javelins?" Autographed javelins sell for up to 5 gp once authenticity can be verified. Which could beget an adventure to disrupt the fake autograph industry, cuz Linguistics/forgery is a thing.

Imagine a halfling lacrosse team (halfling staff sling), and their adopted, helpful, non-halfling goalie with deflect arrow providing covering fire as you invade a keep.

Imagine a chariot racing circuit with Pimp My Chariot adventures.

Imagine the diplomacy DC to talk the small air elemental into the inflatable bladder for maximum bounce (volleyball, basketball, etc.) or flotation (water polo?).

Imagine the pampering a champion animal would get. A player could buy the grandson of a great racing camel in the hopes of it inheriting the Fleet feat as a bonus. Or, what happens when two druids breed their 70 hp bobcats?

Imagine breaking up an illegal stirge-fighting ring. Or lobbying for its legalization.

Even jousting has historical precedent, but isn't represented well by Paizo, outside of combat.

Harry Potter has Quiddich and their Wizarding tournaments.

Star Wars has pod racing.

ST:TNG has dom-jot.

Pathfinder has ..... a deficit?


ZenithTN wrote:

We have music (perform skill), magic (prestidigitation), stupid pet tricks (handle animal), fireworks and cards. But we don't seem to have sports. I have surmised Paizo does not appear to be staffed with sports fans.

Pity. I would like to see more sports represented - and I am not talking about all-inclusive, everyone-gets-a-trophy putt putt, disc golf, badminton, etc.

Sports is an untapped mine of adventure and game design ideas. Many concepts already have game mechanics in place - Lord knows we don't need more page-bloating sub-systems.

Imagine a competing distance javelin chucker needing rescue. "Thanks guys! I got five of them before they got too close. The last three surrounded me. Would you like me to autograph your javelins?" Autographed javelins sell for up to 5 gp once authenticity can be verified. Which could beget an adventure to disrupt the fake autograph industry, cuz Linguistics/forgery is a thing.

Imagine a halfling lacrosse team (halfling staff sling), and their adopted, helpful, non-halfling goalie with deflect arrow providing covering fire as you invade a keep.

Imagine a chariot racing circuit with Pimp My Chariot adventures.

Imagine the diplomacy DC to talk the small air elemental into the inflatable bladder for maximum bounce (volleyball, basketball, etc.) or flotation (water polo?).

Imagine the pampering a champion animal would get. A player could buy the grandson of a great racing camel in the hopes of it inheriting the Fleet feat as a bonus. Or, what happens when two druids breed their 70 hp bobcats?

Imagine breaking up an illegal stirge-fighting ring. Or lobbying for its legalization.

Even jousting has historical precedent, but isn't represented well by Paizo, outside of combat.

Harry Potter has Quiddich and their Wizarding tournaments.

Star Wars has pod racing.

ST:TNG has dom-jot.

Pathfinder has ..... a deficit?

They have sports, they just don't talk about them much. A lot fo them are track and field events. And animal racing both horses and dogs. Magnimar has the Serpent's Run which instead of holding gladitorial battles - although it does hold staged combat - holds sporting events.

Paizo Employee Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Also, as noted in the Segada chapter of Distant Shores (page 49), Arcadians enjoy playing and watching a sport called boundball, which even has a multinational tournament.

Grand Lodge

Qadira is famous for its horse racing

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Are You Not Entertained - Diversions on Golarion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion