Starfinder and the death of PFS?


Pathfinder Society

51 to 100 of 169 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

If you look at the list of names of active volunteers in PFS, it looks an awful lot like the list from LG.

1/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, I have absolutely no interest in futuristic RPGs, including Starfinder. At all. And I also hate that it's in the same world as my fantasy genre.

Like, "Look, nothing bad can happen since we made it to the future OK." Did they have to lower the stakes on my Fantasy game??

So I hope they do not dial back their releases of the things that I do care about (Pathfinder) for the things which I do not (Starfinder).

(Not saying that it is a bad game or that other people who like it are wrong - just that I do not)


Beckman wrote:

Well, I have absolutely no interest in futuristic RPGs, including Starfinder. At all. And I also hate that it's in the same world as my fantasy genre.

Like, "Look, nothing bad can happen since we made it to the future OK." Did they have to lower the stakes on my Fantasy game??

So I hope they do not dial back their releases of the things that I do care about (Pathfinder) for the things which I do not (Starfinder).

(Not saying that it is a bad game or that other people who like it are wrong - just that I do not)

Well, the whole planet did go away. It's possible something might have gone wrong somewhere along the line. :)

Silver Crusade

How does Starfinder lower the stakes?

And you do know Numeria is a thing in Golarion? And that's without getting into all the other planets in Pathfinder that have advanced tech.


thejeff wrote:
Beckman wrote:

Well, I have absolutely no interest in futuristic RPGs, including Starfinder. At all. And I also hate that it's in the same world as my fantasy genre.

Like, "Look, nothing bad can happen since we made it to the future OK." Did they have to lower the stakes on my Fantasy game??

So I hope they do not dial back their releases of the things that I do care about (Pathfinder) for the things which I do not (Starfinder).

(Not saying that it is a bad game or that other people who like it are wrong - just that I do not)

Well, the whole planet did go away. It's possible something might have gone wrong somewhere along the line. :)

I'm pretty sure Drandle Dreng is involved somehow.

Or perhaps Torch stole the planet.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber
Jason Wu wrote:

I'm pretty sure Drandle Dreng is involved somehow.

Or perhaps Torch stole the planet.

You say that like you think they're different people.

I mean -- have you ever seen both of them in the same place at the same time?

Shadow Lodge 4/5

Yes.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 **

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

4/5 5/55/55/55/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't want any Starfinder Society briefings for missions to be held about 'The Osprey'.

You just know you are going to be beamed into the middle of some horrible pitched battle in a lava storm.

Sovereign Court 4/5

TOZ wrote:
Yes.

Well sure. But I've also seen Drendle Dreng in the same place as... Drendle Dreng. He's tricky like that.

Dark Archive 5/5 * Regional Venture-Coordinator, Gulf

Jason Wu wrote:
If you look at the list of names of active volunteers in PFS, it looks an awful lot like the list from LG.

If you look at the list of Paizo staff, you will notice a lot from some other game company that was creating content for a famous RPG company during that era.

You are right, there are more than a few Triad members, organizers, and other leaders who are VOs and players in PFS.
I am hoping for more gaming, and another new campaign is not a problem for me.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 ** Venture-Agent, California—Los Angeles (South Bay)

I am personally glad to see that some of the same names from Living Greyhawk are now involved with Pathfinder Society. I played in Living Greyhawk and liked a lot about it, but there were problems. Among these that Pathfinder Society has addressed has been the issue of crafting (I had other players ask me to have my wizard make items for them in Pathfinder Society), wealth by level, and the LG problem of why adventurers are conveniently all in the same place.

Scarab Sages 5/5 5/5 * Venture-Captain, Netherlands

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

I'd buy that shirt.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 ** Venture-Agent, California—Los Angeles (South Bay)

Tineke Bolleman wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

I'd buy that shirt.

I think that a lot of people would be willing to buy it.

Grand Lodge 4/5 *** Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento

Shifty wrote:

I don't want any Starfinder Society briefings for missions to be held aboard 'The Osprey'.

You just know you are going to be beamed into the middle of some horrible pitched battle in a lava storm.

Fixed that for you.

4/5 5/55/55/55/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aboard, about - if Osprey is involved (even tangentially) you know you are just moments away from a TPK :p

The Exchange 2/5

William Ronald wrote:
Tineke Bolleman wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

I'd buy that shirt.
I think that a lot of people would be willing to buy it.

Drendle Dreng, VC in charge of spurring developments in horology.

4/5

Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

Will the real Drendle Drang please stand up?

Shadow Lodge 4/5

We're gonna have a problem here.

Silver Crusade 4/5

I'm Spartacus.

1/5 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So.... Drendle Drang = Spartacus?

5/5 5/5

EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Paizo Employee 5/5 Contributor—Canadian Maplecakes

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Evil Horse wrote:
EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

I made a bet with myself, that I could guess who the owner of this alias was before checking.

Spoiler:
I was not disappointed.

Shadow Lodge 5/5

Thurston Hillman wrote:
Evil Horse wrote:
EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

I made a bet with myself, that I could guess who the owner of this alias was before checking.

** spoiler omitted **

Doom Thursty, Doom.

The Exchange 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 **

I came to bring you your doom, Thursty, and just the way you like it!

Grand Lodge 5/5

Evil Horse wrote:
EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Send in the Goblin Paladins!


Michael Meunier wrote:
Evil Horse wrote:
EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!
Send in the Goblin Paladins!

We would love to sir however it seems that shortly after coming into existence 95% of them fell. Thankfully most where still in rebuild levels so we have the standard assortment of alchemist, sorcerers, and barbarians to throw at the horse.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Fine then, just blow it up.


*Salutes* Yessir! Readying Goblin Sapper Squads 1-6, and readying the Necromancers guild to work with whats left.

5/5 5/5

Thurston Hillman wrote:
Evil Horse wrote:
EVIL HORSE TRAMPLES UPON YOUR WEAK PATHFINDER SOCIETY'S FUTURE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

I made a bet with myself, that I could guess who the owner of this alias was before checking.

** spoiler omitted **

PUNY HUMAN, EVIL HORSE LIKES BOURBON AND EXPECTS DELIVERY OF SAID FOR WINNING BET YOU MADE.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

5/5 5/55/55/5

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

That just shows how good an actor Drendle Dreng is. Any kitsune with the right feat can impersonate someone, but to impersonate two people at the same time? Genius.

Because, of course Drendle impersonates himself. No one else gets it quite right.

We really need an "I'm the real Drendle Dreng" t-shirt for PFS rerolls.

Overflow archives:
The party thought that the one gamboling about the room with a crocodile was the real Kreighton shane, not the one who gave the serious mission briefing, and tried to trade shane back to the fish as part of their deal. When they realized their mistake... they wanted to cut a deal with the kitsune to give them a promotion if they helped him take shane's place.
Grand Lodge 5/5

I fully concur with the Horse on this one.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Does this post actually belong in a Pathfinder Society thread? (It would have been better placed in a Pathfinder Campaign Setting General Discussion.)

Beckman wrote:

Well, I have absolutely no interest in futuristic RPGs, including Starfinder. At all. And I also hate that it's in the same world as my fantasy genre.

Like, "Look, nothing bad can happen since we made it to the future OK." Did they have to lower the stakes on my Fantasy game??

So I hope they do not dial back their releases of the things that I do care about (Pathfinder) for the things which I do not (Starfinder).

(Not saying that it is a bad game or that other people who like it are wrong - just that I do not)

While I actually am looking forward to Starfinder, your second point (the harm of setting Starfinder in the same universe as Pathfinder) I do agree with.

But then again, I do believe that there are other settings being developed for Starfinder.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 **

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am the real Drendle Drang! I just shrank with age.

It makes it easier to fit in the space ships!

3/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

How does Starfinder lower the stakes?

And you do know Numeria is a thing in Golarion? And that's without getting into all the other planets in Pathfinder that have advanced tech.

I think the argument is that in the long run, we know how things turn out, so what's the point of us adventurers doing anything because the future is now written. The planet is gone. The fate of everything is known. Our choices are now futile.

I can understand the sentiment, but I look at it from the multiverse perspective. Starfinder is how the Golarion universe ended up in one instance. Pathfinder exists in another Golarion universe, and we may not end in the same place as Starfinder.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Add in the fact that we don't actually known how everything got there. So we don't know the fate of everything, and our choices do still matter. To our own characters if nothing else.

Silver Crusade

The Fourth Horseman wrote:
Rysky wrote:

How does Starfinder lower the stakes?

And you do know Numeria is a thing in Golarion? And that's without getting into all the other planets in Pathfinder that have advanced tech.

I think the argument is that in the long run, we know how things turn out, so what's the point of us adventurers doing anything because the future is now written. The planet is gone. The fate of everything is known. Our choices are now futile.

I can understand the sentiment, but I look at it from the multiverse perspective. Starfinder is how the Golarion universe ended up in one instance. Pathfinder exists in another Golarion universe, and we may not end in the same place as Starfinder.

I could understand that effect if the Gap was closer to Pathfinder's timeline but "thousands of years later the planet disappears" affects... absolutely none of my characters or their stories.

Silver Crusade

TOZ wrote:
Add in the fact that we don't actually known how everything got there. So we don't know the fate of everything, and our choices do still matter. To our own characters if nothing else.

This.

The fact that Golarion disappears 1,000s of years in the future doesn't actually affect character agency at all.


Rysky wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Add in the fact that we don't actually known how everything got there. So we don't know the fate of everything, and our choices do still matter. To our own characters if nothing else.

This.

The fact that Golarion disappears 1,000s of years in the future doesn't actually affect character agency at all.

*best Nappa voice* What where did it go.........or was it ever even there to begin with?

3/5

TOZ wrote:
Add in the fact that we don't actually known how everything got there. So we don't know the fate of everything, and our choices do still matter. To our own characters if nothing else.

Yeah, but unless I'm missing something, if Starfinder and Pathfinder are in the same universe, the how and what is mostly irrelevant. I'd say that they were relevant in finding a way to bring it back (if possible), but the devs have said that the what, how, and where of the missing Golarion planet is going to be Starfinder's Aroden question. If we can't figure out those questions, we won't figure out a way to bring the planet back.

So really the only relevant question to Pathfinders is when, and only on a personal level. Will it happen in my lifetime? No? Well then Golarion is doomed, but I'll die before it's gone, so why do I care? Especially if it's going to happen no matter what I do. Yes? Well, I'm either space refugee, or dead, or gone with Golarion. I can't stop it. The future is written.

It's why after thinking about it, I prefer the multiverse idea.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

7 people marked this as a favorite.
The Fourth Horseman wrote:
So really the only relevant question to Pathfinders is when, and only on a personal level. Will it happen in my lifetime? No? Well then Golarion is doomed, but I'll die before it's gone, so why do I care? Especially if it's going to happen no matter what I do. Yes? Well, I'm either space refugee, or dead, or gone with Golarion. I can't stop it. The future is written.

So the heat-death of the universe renders our lives meaningless?

I believe we are at the point of discussing the merit of Rogue One given we already have Episodes IV-VI.

3/5

TOZ wrote:
The Fourth Horseman wrote:
So really the only relevant question to Pathfinders is when, and only on a personal level. Will it happen in my lifetime? No? Well then Golarion is doomed, but I'll die before it's gone, so why do I care? Especially if it's going to happen no matter what I do. Yes? Well, I'm either space refugee, or dead, or gone with Golarion. I can't stop it. The future is written.

So the heat-death of the universe renders our lives meaningless?

I believe we are at the point of discussing the merit of Rogue One given we already have Episodes IV-VI.

The only point I'm going stick with here, is that yes, some meaning is taken from our choices when the future is so written. It sounds like much of the detail of the future will be set with the writing of Starfinder.

With real life, there are so many variables that we don't know what's going to happen up until the heat death or after. All Civilizations / existence may die. Maybe humanity figures out how to escape to another universe. Maybe we, or some other people, figure out how to extend the life of the universe. Maybe humanity won't have to worry about it because we all die long before due to some other calamity. There are so many questions for Earth.

In either case, I'll have to read Starfinder to figure out how much is set in stone, and how much it will or won't affect Pathfinder. I'm sure the writers of Starfinder have thought about all this to some extent.

I think I'm done arguing the point. I see it as valid, but I'm not particularly tied to it, and I'm excited to read and play Starfinder while I still play Pathfinder. As Rysky said, there are stories to be told.

------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Rogue One

Yes, it takes away from the suspense of Rogue One to know certainly that Jyn (sp?) and crew get the plans to the rebels. Doesn't mean the movie wasn't good, but the stakes seemed less, since we know, without any doubt, that they are successful with their mission.


PFS is a major sales generator for Paizo. It'd be plain suicide to kill it.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/5

Golarion has not disappeared in Starfinder it has been one of

Eaten by Rovagug

Placed in a pocket dimension by Asmodeus to prevent it being eaten by Rovagug (in exchange for every soul on Golarion of course)

Has been absorbed into the blanket that covers the shell of the great space turtle Hao Jin that swims through space

Or see below


Jeff Cook wrote:

Golarion has not disappeared in Starfinder it has been one of

Eaten by Rovagug

Placed in a pocket dimension by Asmodeus to prevent it being eaten by Rovagug (in exchange for every soul on Golarion of course)

Has been absorbed into the blanket that covers the shell of the great space turtle Hao Jin that swims through space

Or see below

Only Jacobs knows and he's not telling..... :P

Silver Crusade 4/5

It has been reunited with Aroden.

4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Agent, Minnesota—St. Louis Park

1 person marked this as a favorite.

One of his aspects was the thief...

Liberty's Edge

The Fourth Horseman wrote:
I think the argument is that in the long run, we know how things turn out...

Really? Cool, I've got some questions then.

Where did Golarion go?

What happens after that?

In short... no we really don't know how things turn out. We know that Golarion moved. That's a big world shaking event... like the death of Aroden... or the opening of the Worldwound... but not the end of all history.

Some time in the distant future Golarion will be relocated. Knowing that doesn't change anything about the significance of its past or prevent that past from impacting its future. Did your party destroy Tar-Baphon? Well then he won't be around to plague Golarion after its relocation. The Pathfinder present still matters to Golarion's future.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

The Fourth Horseman wrote:
The only point I'm going stick with here, is that yes, some meaning is taken from our choices when the future is so written. It sounds like much of the detail of the future will be set with the writing of Starfinder.

Remember the most important rule. It also applies to the setting.

51 to 100 of 169 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Starfinder and the death of PFS? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.