[Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Combat Kickstarter


Product Discussion

101 to 150 of 795 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

You could call it either and I'd be content with the content. However, I think I agree with the Spheres of Might title instead of Combat, because caster and martial alike enter combat together in a party, but not all casters are mighty. (Don't tell the Dex Rogue about being mighty.)


Ohhh, I like that much better. Spheres of Combat certainly works, but the problem with it is it sounds like the first name that popped into Adam's head - a WIP name that no one ever got around to improving. Spheres of Might has just the right twist on the connotation that it instantly calls to mind SoP, while, as you say, conveying the martial focus. It's got my vote.

Edit - CalethosVB wrote:
...content with the content.

Niiice.


"Might" does seem to be a bit more popular... XD And "Combat" sounded like it might have been a BIT more focused as a name than some talk about the content implied. Let's call it a third vote for 'Might'. o wo/


Ssalarn wrote:
It was brought up earlier in this thread that the title "Spheres of Combat" might be a little imprecise and not the best possible title for the book; based on what we've said so far, would "Spheres of Might" appeal to you more as a title?

Damn fine ring to it.


Both I and my wife prefer Might. It has the same kind of connotation that Power does. It is what you need to win Combat, rather than the action itself, which really feels more in line with Power.


Are whips specifically supported or just generally? They are very different from any other slashing weapon.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Baval wrote:
Are whips specifically supported or just generally? They are very different from any other slashing weapon.

Generally supported at the moment, but the fact that they have the disarm, reach, and trip properties means that they're going to have synergy with a broader array of spheres than your average weapon.


Will Spheres of Combat be utilizing Path of War's Knowledge (Martial) skill? Because I think it would be awesome if it did, perhaps allowing those who invest in the skill to determine what combat spheres the target has.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cool, though id like to put in my two cents to recommend considering some specific support (or maybe support for whip like weapons, a chain fighting sphere?) since i can see moves like grappling crossbeams and using it to do swinging kicks and stealing enemies gear from range and the like.

Although..."Vaulting: You use your weapon in such a way that you can move with your strike, causing you to move distance equal to your weapons reach and do some crazy thing" would be a good ability that would both work for whip swinging and using spears to pole vault.

Also, Whips require way more feat investment than any other weapon for very little reason in base, so it would be nice to loosen that a little.

Also, id like to put in my vote for Might too, because then instead of "Sphere Wizard" and "Sphere Fighter" we can use "Powerful Wizard" and "Mighty Fighter"

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Grovestrider wrote:
Will Spheres of Combat be utilizing Path of War's Knowledge (Martial) skill? Because I think it would be awesome if it did, perhaps allowing those who invest in the skill to determine what combat spheres the target has.

Currently no, but that doesn't mean it's not something that could be put on the table.


I'd say yes to Spheres of Might as well. It has a nice ring to it, although I will say Spheres of Combat does sound like a real fighting tactics manual or something.

Oh, something that has been on my mind about the shield sphere;

Will the shield sphere have options that let you do a frigging buckler punch effectively? It's always bugged me you can't shield bash with a buckler even though punching the other guy with it is something people could do in real life.


I also believe Spheres of Might to be a stronger name.


Spheres of Might sounds a little misleading, as when I think of "might" I don't really think of people fighting using skill, two weapons, ect, but someone with(to put it in game terms) a high Strength Score. It also makes melee combat come to mind, not ranged.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ssalarn wrote:

Hey everyone,

We're finalizing the Kickstarter now, and I had a question for everyone who has expressed interest so far:

It was brought up earlier in this thread that the title "Spheres of Combat" might be a little imprecise and not the best possible title for the book; based on what we've said so far, would "Spheres of Might" appeal to you more as a title? I think it does a better job of conveying that this is a martially oriented book that will provide options that are useful for more than just fighting, but we don't want to change things at this point unless there's a broader feeling that doing so would be a positive change.

I like Spheres of Might as well (Spheres of Savagery could also be cool).


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer Spheres of Combat over Spheres of Might, perhaps because the latter sounds like it focuses more on herculean strength than other forms of battle. Perhaps Spheres of Battle? Spheres of Valor has a ring to it, but does seem to imply a certain kind of nobility that not all characters might have...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Sphere of Combat just seems too vague to me, and rather lackluster when you compare it to it's big sister Spheres of POWAH.

I don't have a problem with Spheres of Battle, and you're right, Spheres of Valor/Savagery would seem overly specialized.


Spheres of Battle seems best to me, too.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Yes, then we call proudly call ourselves SoBs for backing this!


Blake Edwards is the man.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In all fairness, Spheres of Power is also a rather vague name, since power could refer to almost anything, though I'll agree it sounds a bit cooler than Spheres of Combat.


Curious -

I prefer Spheres of Valor, but I'm not satisfied with it. Nonetheless, I feel fairly comfortable rejecting (at least for me) the generic options of "might," "battle," and "combat".

I think it's inevitable that we in the real world will associate things like "might" and "battle" and even "combat" with physical fighting capabilities as enhanced by skills, armor, melee weapons, and missile weapons. This is because battles and combats are only fought physically in the real world. Thus, we have many more examples in our real lives of "might" being physical might, not (for instance) spell casting might.

But in a Pathfinder world, who would be foolish enough to say to the Archmage, "You are not mighty"? Who would sneer, "Those Archmages know nothing of combat, nothing of battle"? Fireball is a mighty spell as well as one tailored for combat, for battle. Likewise the ArchDruid, the High Priestess, and more classes who simply do not fall within the core of this supplement's concept.

(I believe) Thinking from the perspective of someone who lives within the world of Pathfinder is a more helpful path to a final name than thinking from the perspective of those who live lives in our mundane world. So I'll take SoV for now, but I'm still mulling it over. The real problem is that making the name generic enough to encompass any kind of physical combat is inevitably going to create some overlap with mystical, spiritual, and dimensional spheres. Of the proposals listed here, however, Valor best distinguishes the warrior's world from those others.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Luthorne wrote:
In all fairness, Spheres of Power is also a rather vague name, since power could refer to almost anything, though I'll agree it sounds a bit cooler than Spheres of Combat.

*nods*

Agreed, vague, but cooler still.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
CripDyke wrote:
But in a Pathfinder world, who would be foolish enough to say to the Archmage, "You are not mighty"? Who would sneer, "Those Archmages know nothing of combat, nothing of battle"? Fireball is a mighty spell as well as one tailored for combat, for battle. Likewise the ArchDruid, the High Priestess, and more classes who simply do not fall within the core of this supplement's concept.

The came could be said for Spheres of Power. Is a raging Barbarian not powerful?


I'll just put my vote down as "Not Combat". My opinion is based mostly off its poetic qualities: "combat" just doesn't "flow" like the alternates of "might", "battle", "valor", and probably other suggestions.

One title that might work is "Spheres of Skill" (alliteration FTW): in Pathfinder there is a definite divide based on the anti-magic field between the seemingly "unnatural" (because it can be negated) magic and the "natural" martial skill (because you can't remove it from the universe). I acknowledge that there are multiple reasons why not to use that title.


Spheres of Carnage? For these talents do lean toward laying waste across all battlefields.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Oooo, I like Carnage :3


The thing I don't like about "Carnage" is it sounds too "bad guy". Also too "savage" focused.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
The thing I don't like about "Carnage" is it sounds too "bad guy". Also too "savage" focused.

*offended gasp sound effect*

You shame the noble Barbarian class.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't care what you call it, just hurry up and open the Kickstarter so I can give you my money !

However, I do kinda like Spheres of Valor. Nice ring to it.

-- david

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I like Spheres of Might.

I think Might appeals more to the character's PoV, while Combat sounds more player-bound/metagaming.

After all, Combat is the title of a chapter of the CRB (like Magic) while Power and Might are not.

Also Might makes me think of Might & Magic

I do not like Valor. Way I see it, Valor does not help you win a fight. It helps you lose in a noble way

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Yes, then we call proudly call ourselves SoBs for backing this!

Stack here, one of the contributors.

We considered battle, but thought is would bring to mind Tome of Battle. As this system is taking a different approach, we thought that would give people the wrong idea. The first question that often pops up is whether it will be like ToB/PoW, so we rather not reinforce that. Hence Spheres of War also not working.

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:

I'll just put my vote down as "Not Combat". My opinion is based mostly off its poetic qualities: "combat" just doesn't "flow" like the alternates of "might", "battle", "valor", and probably other suggestions.

One title that might work is "Spheres of Skill" (alliteration FTW): in Pathfinder there is a definite divide based on the anti-magic field between the seemingly "unnatural" (because it can be negated) magic and the "natural" martial skill (because you can't remove it from the universe). I acknowledge that there are multiple reasons why not to use that title.

While your explanation makes sense, skill would, I think, put people in the mind of a 'rogue book', a skill-focused release.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
I do not like Valor. Way I see it, Valor does not help you win a fight. It helps you lose in a noble way

Eh...I don't know, I think you probably need at least some degree of determination in the face of danger, the capacity to not hesitate when you're in trouble and do what needs to be done, and the willpower to not give into fear to actually win a fight...hard to see how being an indecisive, vaccilating coward gets you too far.

The only other thing that really springs to mind would be Spheres of Technique, which really doesn't sound that flashy...

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I prefer Might out of all the options mentioned, also because it hearkens back to Might and Magic. I think it would compliment Spheres of Magic better that way.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
TriOmegaZero wrote:
I prefer Might out of all the options mentioned, also because it hearkens back to Might and Magic. I think it would compliment Spheres of Magic better that way.

It's Spheres of Power, actually.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Damn my memory!


Spheres of Arms?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

well my idea for book name is martials of power if any one needs


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kryzbyn wrote:
Spheres of Arms?

A little disturbing. Sounds like the description a GM uses to clarify that this is, indeed, the BBEG's lair.


LOL

A beholder with arm stalks?

WHO'S GOING TO THE GUN SHOW? *flexes all the flexes*

Dark Archive

I'm torn. I like Spheres of Might as a name the best, but as someone who prefers dex based characters to str based ones, it'd sound like this book isn't for me.
Spheres of Combat DOES sound like it'd pertain to me, though I think it's the less appealing sounding name.
I dislike Spheres of Valor, for the same reasons other people have listed.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Spheres of Badassery

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ectar wrote:
I'm torn. I like Spheres of Might as a name the best, but as someone who prefers dex based characters to str based ones, it'd sound like this book isn't for me.

Spheres of Prowess ?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Rysky wrote:
Spheres of Badassery

Spheres of the Batman

Might get into some hot IP waters though ;-P

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

To get back on topic, being able to get SoP (and its descendents) through an add-on would be great.

I would love to be able to get SoP/SoC compiled in a hardback book (maybe even Deluxe) but it seems a bit too early for this.

As far as the playtest is concerned, I would like for it to be as open as possible, rather than restricted to backers (even though I will definitely be one). More playtesters means an enhanced quality of the end product, which is what I wish for as a future backer

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Maybe this product would be a good place to bring enhanced Non-magical healing (as in HP and ability healing and condition removal) to the game.

Maybe a Medic Sphere ?

Liberty's Edge

So I'll have to beg my GM to retrain my Swashbuckler. Luckily she's still level 1.

For the name, I'll agree that "Combat" sounds a bit too generic. To my ears, "Might" sounds good for Dexterity characters as well, after all, Wasp and Hawkeye are among Earth's Mightiest Heroes.


It might help to have a voting poll made and placed on the Kickstarter page for all the suggested names, that way a more accurate counting for votes and popularity of names could be made.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, another vote for Might here. I can see why it might bring to mind STR based characters if all you're used to is D&D, but it reminds me of Might and Magic where whether you were attacking with a two hander or dual wielding daggers, Might increased damage. In any case, I think overall people should be able to figure it out in context.

And it sounds so, so much better.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Of the of the two main I prefer might. I think Prowess as someone suggested, or something similar, works to denote the mundane but still exemplary skill of these characters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Prowess would be nice. Downside is we'd have to all change our abbreviation for Spheres of Power. :P

101 to 150 of 795 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Combat Kickstarter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.