What things would you NOT want to see in Starfinder?


General Discussion

1 to 50 of 130 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I personally would like to wish against the following:

Please no Star trek style transporters--or anything that dematerializes or rematerializes living things from scratch, nonmagically

Please no breathable fantasy space gas--please no phlogiston or outer-space fresh air that allows creatures to walk outside on deck without spacesuits.

Please no subjective directional gravity in either deep space or The Drift.

Please no super-colossal space amoebas, planet-sized robots, or really anything defined as a creature that is large enough for escape velocity (ex) to be relevan, aside from some weird magical ability to create an artificial gravity well or something. Starbases, death stars, mobile cities with onboard hyperdrives, that's different, just no oversized creatures.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

No alien hive mind hordes looking to assimilate everyone, it's been done to death.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Zerg, Tyranids, Borg, Slivers, Xenomorphs, Hive Queen (enders game didn't want to assmilate however.), Cybermen, Daleks (but they really just want you exterminated), The Flood, The Fold, Pod people, Brain Slugs, Blue gill, Yeerks, The thing from slither and the things form the faculty which both kind of fall under brain slugs as well.

Wow I bet there is more too. That was just ones I could think of. You may be on to something there but i feel like its almost an essential Space thing at this point.

Can we just use one of those? I think there is already brain slugs in pathfinder.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

4 people marked this as a favorite.
andygal wrote:
No alien hive mind hordes looking to assimilate everyone, it's been done to death.

But resistance is FUTILE.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't want to see player character power out-scale vehicles.


Deathstar wannabes, it's been done to death.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Colossal differences in class design quality and narrative power need to be gone and stay gone; if that means complete loss of pathfinder compatibility so be it.

No space kenders.

And let's try not to shoehorn 'lessons' too heavy-handedly with all the races and what not; the only thing "afterschool specials" ever did was ruin our hopes of getting to watch cartoons and force us to choose between the weather channel and the news.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm just going to have to abandon this thread none of you are making any sense.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:

Zerg, Tyranids, Borg, Slivers, Xenomorphs, Hive Queen (enders game didn't want to assmilate however.), Cybermen, Daleks (but they really just want you exterminated), The Flood, The Fold, Pod people, Brain Slugs, Blue gill, Yeerks, The thing from slither and the things form the faculty which both kind of fall under brain slugs as well.

Wow I bet there is more too. That was just ones I could think of. You may be on to something there but i feel like its almost an essential Space thing at this point.

Can we just use one of those? I think there is already brain slugs in pathfinder.

Live for the swarm!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

12 people marked this as a favorite.

So basically you want sci-fi theme but gutted of all classic sci-fi tropes.

Smh


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Mark Thomas 66 wrote:

So basically you want sci-fi theme but gutted of all classic sci-fi tropes.

Smh

That's what I'm getting.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

giant space monsters are essential.

transporters kinda suck, but done properly, they are pretty cool.

what I want out of Starfinder is to be able to play "Deathstalker". Terrible books, but really cool pulp setting.


Any civilization are going to have military installations regardless of it is being PlanetSide or dare I say it, a star base. That's just a rule of thumb, having a star base will allow a power to deploy their forces faster. How a star base is used would depend on the power in control and the story. Going with classic star wars, tyrannical power with a rebel black ops operation gathering Intel. Democratic power, probably neutral doubling as a trading post. Corporate, could swing either way. Autocratic, strictly military and it's there for rapid troop deployment.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Elminster. >:-(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I am mostly hoping that the "almost always evil" alignment thing for mortal races gets mostly ignored.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Shelton wrote:

I personally would like to wish against the following:

Please no Star trek style transporters--or anything that dematerializes or rematerializes living things from scratch, nonmagically

Please no super-colossal space amoebas, planet-sized robots, or really anything defined as a creature that is large enough for escape velocity (ex) to be relevant, aside from some weird magical ability to create an artificial gravity well or something. Starbases, death stars, mobile cities with onboard hyperdrives, that's different, just no oversized creatures.

So you don't want Starfinder?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

We must have giant space monsters!
I:m hoping not to see as much Cthulhu stuff, as like half of outer space stuff right now in pathfinder basically comes down to something from the Cthulhu type stuff, and I find that really annoying.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Captain collateral damage wrote:
We must have giant space hamsters!

Fixed that for you. How else will the ships be powered?

We can do without the giff, though. They're silly.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p

*throws salt water on the moondoggo*


Firefly.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Freehold DM wrote:
Firefly.

But Avengers would be okay.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Pretty much the same thing.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

The Whedonverse wrote:
Pretty much the same thing.

True!

Paizo now needs to get Joss Whedon involved in this project!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

No they don't.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've got more important things to do.

goes back to playing with Star Wars figures all the while thinking of ideas to steal.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Whedonverse wrote:

I've got more important things to do.

goes back to playing with Star Wars figures all the while thinking of ideas to steal.

... and character's to murder for cheap drama.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

rolls dice to see who gets dramatically stabbed/shot in the gut/back just as victory is imminent.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A Blake's Seven ending.

Spoiler alert:
After four seasons of struggling against a Dystopian, tyrannical Earth government, all of the main characters are lured into one location and all are killed. All of the rebellious efforts of the main characters are undone by the tyrannical government. After four seasons of small victories, the audience learns it was all for nothing.


I don't want to see any of the straw "cultures-who-are-way-better-than-you-in-every-way-and-you-pale-in-comparis on-to-me"

In a word, I don't want to see Chakrats. (WARNING, ADDS ARE SOMETIMES NSFW)

But then, seeing on how (probably) none of the Paizo staff are Chaotic Evil, we will probably not have to fear anything among those lines.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Malefactor wrote:

I don't want to see any of the straw "cultures-who-are-way-better-than-you-in-every-way-and-you-pale-in-comparis on-to-me"

In a word, I don't want to see Chakrats. (WARNING, ADDS ARE SOMETIMES NSFW)

But then, seeing on how (probably) none of the Paizo staff are Chaotic Evil, we will probably not have to fear anything among those lines.

Dwarves will still be part of the setting, so their culture - which is way better then you in every way and you pale in comparison to them - will be part of the setting. ;)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p
*throws salt water on the moondoggo*

Can;t stop, won't stop! ;)

I don't want any sci fi tropes that people think are fun or cool. No Firefly, no Star Trek, no Star Wars, no Farscape, no Doctor Who.

If's it's been suggested, I don't want it in Starfinder. No light sabers, no lasers, no spaceships, no aliens, no wormholes. I want everyone's hopes and dreams crushed because I don't like fun. Bah humbag.

Does that cover everything? :p


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Odraude wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p
*throws salt water on the moondoggo*

Can;t stop, won't stop! ;)

I don't want any sci fi tropes that people think are fun or cool. No Firefly, no Star Trek, no Star Wars, no Farscape, no Doctor Who.

If's it's been suggested, I don't want it in Starfinder. No light sabers, no lasers, no spaceships, no aliens, no wormholes. I want everyone's hopes and dreams crushed because I don't like fun. Bah humbag.

Does that cover everything? :p

Well, technically, no; because you wrote, "humbag", which makes your argument null and void and henceforth unavailable for further conversation. Had you invoked the correct terminology of "humbug", your argument would have been held valid this holiday season.

:)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p
*throws salt water on the moondoggo*

Can;t stop, won't stop! ;)

I don't want any sci fi tropes that people think are fun or cool. No Firefly, no Star Trek, no Star Wars, no Farscape, no Doctor Who.

If's it's been suggested, I don't want it in Starfinder. No light sabers, no lasers, no spaceships, no aliens, no wormholes. I want everyone's hopes and dreams crushed because I don't like fun. Bah humbag.

Does that cover everything? :p

Well, technically, no; because you wrote, "humbag", which makes your argument null and void and henceforth unavailable for further conversation. Had you invoked the correct terminology of "humbug", your argument would have been held valid this holiday season.

:)

Also no pedantry in Starfinder :p

harumph


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Paizo's current slash and burn FAQratta and poor rule changes would be nice to see go away, as would waiting to put (good)errata out until you're printing the book again. It's a game set in the future, so get with the times. :p


Odraude wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p
*throws salt water on the moondoggo*

Can't stop, won't stop! ;)

I don't want any sci fi tropes that people think are fun or cool. No Firefly, no Star Trek, no Star Wars, no Farscape, no Doctor Who.

If's it's been suggested, I don't want it in Starfinder. No light sabers, no lasers, no spaceships, no aliens, no wormholes. I want everyone's hopes and dreams crushed because I don't like fun. Bah humbug.

Does that cover everything? :p

Only the DM/GM/etc is allowed to have fun.

8p


Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson wrote:
Elminster. >:-(

Him, Dungeon Master, Gandalf, and Discord have a poker game in Starfinder night.


The "it's all about as many attacks as possible" also needs to go. Snipers and the like need to be viable; "vital strike" is anything but.


Iterative attacks.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I don't want anything more than vague and approximate compatibility with Pathfinder. (Though I do want it to feel like the same universe).

Backwards compatibility is so 2009.


No split between classes bound by what's reasonably possible and other classes that get all the 'over-the-top' stuff they could want. Pick one or the other and stick to it for all the classes. If you don't want warriors who stack up alongside Space Marines, then don't have people who make Yoda or Conway Costigan look anaemic among your 'casters'.


You could say that what's 'reasonable' and 'realistic' should be within the bounds of its own setting and not our lives.

If the world is full of wyverns, sharks that swim through rocks, titanic humanoids that don't collapse under their own weight, and of f***ing deities and dragons, then "normal human" is something that evolved under THOSE laws of physics as they are, not under ours.

Certainly, one half the classes should not be restricted to real-world limitations just because "they're using per-day spell slots" (especially when those haven't run out the way they pretend they do since 3.0), nor should the other half be allowed to stick their **** in the very fabric of reality while pretending they're playing the same game.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Odraude wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I don't want to see anything fun in Starfinder. No fun allowed here :p
*throws salt water on the moondoggo*

Can;t stop, won't stop! ;)

I don't want any sci fi tropes that people think are fun or cool. No Firefly, no Star Trek, no Star Wars, no Farscape, no Doctor Who.

If's it's been suggested, I don't want it in Starfinder. No light sabers, no lasers, no spaceships, no aliens, no wormholes. I want everyone's hopes and dreams crushed because I don't like fun. Bah humbag.

Does that cover everything? :p

Well, technically, no; because you wrote, "humbag", which makes your argument null and void and henceforth unavailable for further conversation. Had you invoked the correct terminology of "humbug", your argument would have been held valid this holiday season.

:)

Also no pedantry in Starfinder :p

harumph

I second the Moondoggo.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Malefactor wrote:

I don't want to see any of the straw "cultures-who-are-way-better-than-you-in-every-way-and-you-pale-in-comparis on-to-me"

In a word, I don't want to see Chakrats. (WARNING, ADDS ARE SOMETIMES NSFW)

But then, seeing on how (probably) none of the Paizo staff are Chaotic Evil, we will probably not have to fear anything among those lines.

Chakats aren't from a science fiction serial.

And they have way more problems than simply being a Mary Sue race.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Cyrad wrote:
Malefactor wrote:

I don't want to see any of the straw "cultures-who-are-way-better-than-you-in-every-way-and-you-pale-in-comparis on-to-me"

In a word, I don't want to see Chakrats. (WARNING, ADDS ARE SOMETIMES NSFW)

But then, seeing on how (probably) none of the Paizo staff are Chaotic Evil, we will probably not have to fear anything among those lines.

Chakats aren't from a science fiction serial.

And they have way more problems than simply being a Mary Sue race.

*nods*


Say hypothetically that someone had no damn clue what a chakat was, but couldn't risk clicking on the link because while nice old boring text is perfectly fine, any 'images' showing up would basically get caught on camera and result in job loss.

Hypothetically of course.

If such were the case, what might one soon retroactively never-wanted-to-know about the absolute worst parts of this 'chakat' stuff, that one could be told on here using the worksafe thing that is pure text?


Jamie Charlan wrote:

Say hypothetically that someone had no damn clue what a chakat was, but couldn't risk clicking on the link because while nice old boring text is perfectly fine, any 'images' showing up would basically get caught on camera and result in job loss.

Hypothetically of course.

If such were the case, what might one soon retroactively never-wanted-to-know about the absolute worst parts of this 'chakat' stuff, that one could be told on here using the worksafe thing that is pure text?

Probably the incest orgies.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

No more always/mostly evil for any 0HD races.

Not too reliant on equipment like pathfinder/D&D3.0/3.5.

Less Star Wars more everything else.

I don't want to see Castrovel and Akiton loose their pulp style because of the change in timelines/setting.

A lack of backwards compatibility would be a major turn off.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Jamie Charlan wrote:

You could say that what's 'reasonable' and 'realistic' should be within the bounds of its own setting and not our lives.

If the world is full of wyverns, sharks that swim through rocks, titanic humanoids that don't collapse under their own weight, and of f***ing deities and dragons, then "normal human" is something that evolved under THOSE laws of physics as they are, not under ours.

Certainly, one half the classes should not be restricted to real-world limitations just because "they're using per-day spell slots" (especially when those haven't run out the way they pretend they do since 3.0), nor should the other half be allowed to stick their **** in the very fabric of reality while pretending they're playing the same game.

A wizard cannot cast somantic spells, when you disable his hand!

MEDIC!


Bluenose wrote:
No split between classes bound by what's reasonably possible and other classes that get all the 'over-the-top' stuff they could want. Pick one or the other and stick to it for all the classes. If you don't want warriors who stack up alongside Space Marines, then don't have people who make Yoda or Conway Costigan look anaemic among your 'casters'.

Mobile infantry

Imperial guard
Colonial Marines
Star Fleet red shirts
Storm troopers

That should take care of the major chode warriors.

1 to 50 of 130 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / What things would you NOT want to see in Starfinder? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.