Character advice


Advice

The Exchange

Hey, so I've played 4 games so far now and am about to level my gnome up to second level, but I have reworked her, knowing I could do this until I hit 2nd level. A lot of times I was unable to help the party or nearly died so I have made her a bit more combat ready and given her a nasty weapon. I wanted some advice before I flip the switch and take her to level 2 if people could look her over and judge the best way to finish her off.

http://paizo.com/people/Sprag

http://charactersheet.co.uk/pathfinder/#/statblock/58078450824d0a0003eadb29

Thanks in advance.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Did you slow track two of those adventures, Spicy? Because 3XP is what will take your character level 2.

(If you did not know this, don't fret. The Society is very good about honest mistakes of newcomers. Just retrain as you would have upon reaching 3xp.)

Hmm


Hilary:
Sprag's last game was a 3 xp module, which is why she has 4 xp before "becoming" 2nd level.

SpicyDinosaur: I suggest the following:

1. Take weapon finesse as your 1st level feat rather than two-weapon fighting;
2. Buy a +1 rapier instead of the gnome hooked hammer;
3. Put another skill rank in acrobatics to give you a better chance to get behind enemies to get sneak attack damage without taking an AOO.

If you are intent on the hammer, then keep two-weapon fighting and bump your strength to at least 14. Point 3 above would still be useful.

Scarab Sages

Is this a core character? If you own Pathfinder Unchained, the Unchained Rogue is almost a straight upgrade. If it's for core or you don't have the book, no worries.

EDITED: Removed my advice. For some reason I was thinking that the gnome weapon was finesseable.

The Exchange

yea the gnome weapon is two handed, not very roguelike but it seemed like it would do the job, the links for my character should reflect differently now. I have both weapon finesse from gaining second level as a rogue talent and two weapon fighting.

How do HPs go at second level? Max again or half or what? I am having a hard time finding a lot of the specific info for the society. There's a book that might have the info but it costs about $15 and I just sunk a bunch of money on cathulhu, secret of cats, and cthulhu for president.

Also, I was told by a GM to buy a wand of CLW with prestige points, which I think I still have all of them listed, I may have used some of them on that wand but I'm not sure and I don't see a place where it lists how much prestige one of those wands costs.

Trying to upkeep a character on the kind of barebones list paizo has as well as a more detailed sheet is making for some confusion, if there are any inconsistencies please point them out to me.

I have a Pathfinder game tomorrow, not society though. I will be playing a warpriest with a 23 AC and I am looking forward to not getting beat to a pulp. Any bigger armor and I would have needed a squire or hireling to help me with it hehe.

PS I don't think I have the funds for a rapier +1, so for now it will just be a regular rapier. Can I buy a rapier +1 with prestige, and is it available anytime in between games or does it have to be on the chronicle sheet?

The Exchange

oh and if anyone wants to look over my standard campaign kitsune which I will be playing at Aethercon..

http://paizo.com/people/Chika


Quote:
How do HPs go at second level? Max again or half or what?

Average rounded up.

d6=4
d8=5
d10=6
d12=7

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding a lot of the specific info for the society. There's a book that might have the info but it costs about $15 and I just sunk a bunch of money on cathulhu, secret of cats, and cthulhu for president.

Everything's in the guide. somewhere.. Linky

Quote:
Also, I was told by a GM to buy a wand of CLW with prestige points, which I think I still have all of them listed, I may have used some of them on that wand but I'm not sure and I don't see a place where it lists how much prestige one of those wands costs.

2 prestige. Charts in the guide.

Quote:
Trying to upkeep a character on the kind of barebones list paizo has as well as a more detailed sheet is making for some confusion, if there are any inconsistencies please point them out to me.

the its thingy is annoying...

Quote:
I don't think I have the funds for a rapier +1, so for now it will just be a regular rapier. Can I buy a rapier +1 with prestige

No, it's over the 750 gp limit

It is however always available, any pathfinder with enough cash can buy one without meeting the fame requirements.

Quote:
and is it available anytime in between games or does it have to be on the chronicle sheet?

Any time between games, or even during the game if you're in a large enough city. (I have had characters shop for cold iron weapons going from one encounter to another)

The Exchange

750 gp limit, is that the max I can spend at level 1? What about level 2?


You usually acquire access to equipment from the society in 4 ways:

Guide for newbies.

You usually acquire access to equipment from the society in 4 ways:

It's on a chronicle sheet. You were the one that brought the item in for study, so you can buy it back once they’re done studying it in between adventures.

It's on the always available list. The society will let any members, including their most junior, buy mundane and alchemical weapons, armor and gear made of normal and special materials (other than dragonhide), alchemical equipment, scrolls and potions of first level spells.

You can spend 1 or 2 pp to buy an item worth up to 300 or 750 gp. Many adventurers use their first two PP to purchase a wand of cure light wounds or infernal healing this way. Even if they can’t cast it themselves, they can hand it to someone who can. This way, you pay for your own healing, even if someone else is operating your wand.

And most importantly, Fame. You can buy any legal item from the society that you meet the fame score for. (See the chart in the guide.) As you adventure your fame grows, and the society is more willing to open their vaults or have their craftsmen make items just for you. This means that if you have a character concept that requires a flaming, shocking, mithril kusarigama you don’t need to pray that you find one on the chronicle, you can get it made. Your purchase limit USUALLY exceeds the amount of gold on hand. While chronicle sheet loot looks very important, in practice only rare items, partially charged wands, and items you can’t normally buy (like an elven cloak of resistance) really matter.


Unchained rogue is unbelievably better. I can figure out how to finesse one end of the hammer but not the other.

The Exchange

I haven't seen myself accrue any fame. Is that normal?

Dark Archive

You get fame every time you get prestige, so you'll have as much fame as all the prestige you've earned. Fame doesn't go away when you spend prestige, though. It stick around and you end up with a pile of it. Also Two Weapon Fighting is pretty fabulous for a Rogue, but two short swords/daggers is generally a significantly better choice than a gnomish hook hammer (sadly) as they are finessable.

The Exchange

I'm sorry to keep asking dumb questions but the link you provided seems to be missing so much and all the info is spread out.

Where is there an exp chart? I played part one and two (I think) of Mummy's Mask. I now have 6 xp based on my chronicle sheets. Am I second or third level? Or just provide a link to the table, if you could.

Since my PP are listed where I can't edit them, do I just mark on my sheet what I've spent?

I'm going to do rapier/dagger for two weapon fighting. Shame I can't finesse that hooked hammer, it would be fun.

Dark Archive

And yeah, absolutely go Unchained Rogue if you can get the book. Its quite literally a straight upgrade.

Dark Archive

There isn't (as far as I know) a chart for XP, but it's pretty straightfoward. Every time you get 3 XP you level up, so if you have 6 you'd be level 3.

The Exchange

unchained isn't core, keeping this character core if possible


SpicyDinosaur wrote:
unchained isn't core, keeping this character core if possible

Can I ask why? Is your local game store running core on your scheduel, you don't want to buy more books?

A two weapon fighting regular rogue is going to be very underpowered at higher levels. I know all the POSSIBLE sneak attack dice look amazing, but full attacks don't always happen, sneak attacks don't always happen, and the convergence between the two can often feel like a celestial alignment.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:

I'm sorry to keep asking dumb questions but the link you provided seems to be missing so much and all the info is spread out.

Where is there an exp chart? I played part one and two (I think) of Mummy's Mask. I now have 6 xp based on my chronicle sheets. Am I second or third level? Or just provide a link to the table, if you could.

XP..Level

0....1
3....2
6....3
9....4
12...5
15...6
18...7
21...8
24...9
27..10
30..11
33..12 Play eyes of ten.

Quote:
Since my PP are listed where I can't edit them, do I just mark on my sheet what I've spent?

Chronicle sheet looks like this

On your first sheet initial fame and inistial prestige are at 0

Running a module it should have +4 Fame. Fame applies to both prestige and fame (Fame is a running total of all the prestige you've ever earned)

If you buy a wand of CLW that's -2 prestige points. So your first sheet looks like

/__O__/ /__O__/

init.Fame..Initial prestige

/__+4__/
Fame

/__-2__?
Prestige spent

/__4__/ /__2__/

Fame.....Prestige

Your second sheet would go

/__4__/ /__2__/

init.Fame..Initial prestige

/__+4__/
Fame

/__0__?
Prestige spent

/__8__/ /__6__/

Fame.....Prestige

The Exchange

are these sheets I'm filling out? The player info sheet under my account settings? the chronicle sheet?

I just want to be able to play in core games, I have a standard character I will probably get to play in Aethercon actually.

I actually do like core better. I have a lot of pdfs, just stopped keeping up after awhile, and I've been investing more in CoC products atm. As well as Fate.

I've worked more on the character, did math on weight carried and money spent. I'm debating spending more money on another cure moderate wounds potion, but I want to save up for magic weapons.

This character is now level 3, the details for that should be added by the GM shortly and I have the chronicle sheet for my last game.

Feel free to look at what I've done now that it is set in stone, I hope I didn't make any mistakes in leveling up, etc.

I forget, do you get attribute boosts in pathfinder? I vaguely remember that from 3.5.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:
are these sheets I'm filling out?

The chronicle sheet. The other ones aren't official and just if you want to show a dm or someone else what your character looks like.

Quote:
I just want to be able to play in core games, I have a standard character I will probably get to play in Aethercon actually.

I would ask around for the availability of core games. Not all locations have them, and they have a tendency not to fire off at some conventions.

Quote:
I'm debating spending more money on another cure moderate wounds potion, but I want to save up for magic weapons.

That should be an emergency only item. In between combats just hand someone your wand of CLW and have them tap you with it. Most parties will at least have someone that can UMD to the wand if not use it outright.

Quote:
Feel free to look at what I've done now that it is set in stone, I hope I didn't make any mistakes in leveling up, etc.

meh. happens

Quote:
I forget, do you get attribute boosts in pathfinder? I vaguely remember that from 3.5.

eyup. every 4th level. It's why starting with a 17 or 19 is so popular.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Those would be the chronicle sheets. There's sections your GM should have filled out for gold and prestige earned, but the starting and ending gold and prestige sections are usually left blank. It's your responsibility to fill those parts in.

You do in fact get attribute boosts in Pathfinder, and can raise one attribute by 1 every 4th level.

Just so you know, make sure that the games you play your character in are Core games. Playing a single non-Core Campaign game on a character will render him non-Core in the system.

The Exchange

I don't actually have adobe acrobat to fill out those forms but I'll use paint or something I guess.

I don't generally play in in person cons, so I've seen a surprising amount of CORE games being played online.

And yea I know about the non-core games, I have a standard character for those who is, I think, more powerful.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:
I don't actually have adobe acrobat to fill out those forms but I'll use paint or something I guess.

You should print them out and fill them in with.. what do the old people call it? A pen? :)

Quote:
I don't generally play in in person cons, so I've seen a surprising amount of CORE games being played online.

AHH right. Aethercon is online.

I'd get foxit reader. its free, and if you hit the comments tab you get a comment section. the pen is in one color only (red) but it works)

The Exchange

Cool I'll get that, also it looks like I double posted, bleh.

I don't have a printer, though my parents do (they live an hour away though and I visit maybe once a week)

I live in cattle country, there's not really places I could print my stuff out here. It's all loooong drives. Not that that will entirely stop me, but it slows the process.

So I just save these chronicle sheets in case someone asks for them?


SpicyDinosaur wrote:

Cool I'll get that, also it looks like I double posted, bleh.

I don't have a printer, though my parents do (they live an hour away though and I visit maybe once a week)

I live in cattle country, there's not really places I could print my stuff out here. It's all loooong drives. Not that that will entirely stop me, but it slows the process.

So I just save these chronicle sheets in case someone asks for them?

Yeah, you also need some way of keeping track of your gold, prestige, items bought, items used etc. Hero lab has a thingy for it otherwise chronicles are really handy. Because eventually you're going to want to buy stuff..

The Exchange

yea I bought a potion. I've been tracking my gold but it is definitely hard. As is tracking my characters weight allowance.

Oh I think I forgot to ask. Next adventure I should have enough money for a +1 rapier, can I buy it or would it have to be on a chronicle sheet? Do I need a certain amount of fame?


I recommend checking it the Guide. It has a section on this exact matter. :)

Specifically, +1 weapons and armor are Always Available (along with most nonmagical gear, see the Guide for more details), which means you don't need to have any fame to purchase them. So buy the heck out of that rapier.

The Exchange

yea I am also keeping a light mace on my rogue from now on because fighting skeletons sucks otherwise.

The Exchange

Hmm I may actually only be level two. I wish my GMs had been more thorough with these sheets. It's hard for me to figure out what I'm doing with all this paperwork.

I might be 1 xp shy of three or I might be three, I don't know, and I don't think I have a chronicle from the first one so I have requested it.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:

yea I bought a potion. I've been tracking my gold but it is definitely hard. As is tracking my characters weight allowance.

Quote:
Oh I think I forgot to ask. Next adventure I should have enough money for a +1 rapier, can I buy it or would it have to be on a chronicle sheet? Do I need a certain amount of fame?

You usually acquire access to equipment from the society in 4 ways:

It's on a chronicle sheet. You were the one that brought the item in for study, so you can buy it back once they’re done studying it in between adventures.

It's on the always available list. The society will let any members, including their most junior, buy mundane and alchemical weapons, armor and gear made of normal and special materials (other than dragonhide), alchemical equipment, scrolls and potions of first level spells. <--- You can get a +1 rapier this way. I might consider waiting a little bit to get one made out of a special material, but getting a +1 now is important if you hit ghosts or things with dr magic.

You can spend 1 or 2 pp to buy an item worth up to 300 or 750 gp. Many adventurers use their first two PP to purchase a wand of cure light wounds or infernal healing this way. Even if they can’t cast it themselves, they can hand it to someone who can. This way, you pay for your own healing, even if someone else is operating your wand.

And most importantly, Fame. You can buy any legal item from the society that you meet the fame score for. (See the chart in the guide.) As you adventure your fame grows, and the society is more willing to open their vaults or have their craftsmen make items just for you. This means that if you have a character concept that requires a flaming, shocking, mithril kusarigama you don’t need to pray that you find one on the chronicle, you can get it made. Your purchase limit USUALLY exceeds the amount of gold on hand. While chronicle sheet loot looks very important, in practice only rare items, partially charged wands, and items you can’t normally buy (like an elven cloak of resistance) really matter.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:

Hmm I may actually only be level two. I wish my GMs had been more thorough with these sheets. It's hard for me to figure out what I'm doing with all this paperwork.

I might be 1 xp shy of three or I might be three, I don't know, and I don't think I have a chronicle from the first one so I have requested it.

The DM has no way of filling out that part of the sheeet, since they don't know what your starting values are.

The Exchange

ahh Okay. All right so I have done three adventures and one was a two part. One lists itself as worth 3 exp, but I read somewhere that each adventure is only worth one exp. So either I have 5 exp or 4 exp I think. Level two either way. But I need to work that out.

There is a huge amount of paper work involved in all of this. You guys have been very patient and helpful with me and I appreciate it.

The Exchange

https://uploadfiles.io/4ea13
https://uploadfiles.io/faf10
https://ufile.io/7ab11

These are the three sheets that have been sent to me.


Scenarios are worth 1 xp.

Modules are worth 3 xp (one entire level)

The Exchange

Is penumbral accords a scenario or a module? A scenario I assume.

Is We b4 Goblins a scenario or a module? Also a scenario?


Penumbral Accords is a scenario worth 1 xp

We B4 Goblins is a module but it is a specially short one that is listed as worth only 1 xp

The Exchange

okay so I am level 2, time to go back and reverse that heh.


Those are pretty complete on the DMs side(certainly more than I usually fill out online...)

The penumbral accords one is old and predates being able to use prestige points, so it doesn't have a slot for them or spending it. Just split it in half and put fame on one side and prestige on the other

tried to fill these out and send them back but you're either missing a sheet and need to poke the dm or have an error where the half dead city lists you as having 3xp. didn't see we be goblins in the pile. We be goblins is 1 xp, penumbral accords is 1 xp.

Welcome to pathfinder is just a (really awesome) boon, it doesn't give xp or anything. So thats your first sheet, gives zero gold zero xp. It would be sheet. the upper right would be chronicle 1 , you start with 150 gold

The Exchange

half dead city was actually two encounters. We explored two separate areas on two separate days. And yea I poked the gm of We B4 Goblins earlier.

I know how much gold I have now, I've been keeping track meticulously for the most part. I bought some stuff after the last adventure.

DO I actually need to fill out all these sheets if I can just keep a running tally of worth, etc somewhere?

It's awkward using the sheets, tbh.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber

So half-dead city.. That is a level from Mummy's Mask, right? That would be a 3xp adventure?

You should fill in your sheets and keep them in a folder of Google Drive. That way you can point to them when dealing with other GMs. There are some who do audits. It will also be good to be able to reference those sheets for boons and other items.

Hmm


SpicyDinosaur wrote:


It's awkward using the sheets, tbh.

Remember you're playing online and most? of pfs is done face to face. lot easier to manage in person.

The Exchange

okay so what do I fill in for the character chronicle number?


SpicyDinosaur wrote:
okay so what do I fill in for the character chronicle number?

1 on your first one. 2 on your second. 3 on your third in the order that they're applied (which should be just the date for you) it really doesn't matter if "Welcome to pathfinder" is the first or second one.

The Exchange

okay perfect, the only document I can't seem to edit is the new player book one.

Bit frustrating.


SpicyDinosaur wrote:

okay perfect, the only document I can't seem to edit is the new player book one.

Bit frustrating.

Just skip it, start everything on the next one and call it 2.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Character advice All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.