[Player Question] Pirates don't use Backpacks.


Skull & Shackles

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Pirates don't use Backpacks, so how do they carry their stuff?


Why don't pirates use backpacks? Is the set up for a joke?

Grand Lodge

they likely have something similar to a shoulder bag....like a large messenger bag, plus they traditionally travel light because they aren't far from home base so likely aren't regularly using a pack...just my observation. Plus I think the "backpack" can be construed as a duffel bag or something similar.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Shaun wrote:
Why don't pirates use backpacks? Is the set up for a joke?

Nope. Historically, they just didn't.

grimdog73 is correct, they used something like a duffel bag, but there isn't a similar item in game.

I asked this, because the heroes are presumed to have their "starting equipment" with them at the beginning of the AP. So, the "how" became somewhat character relevant.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Well, considering that their "home" is on board their ship, they can store their belongings in their sea-chest and/or cabin.

There is less of a need for a backpack when your stuff is less than 100 yards away...

Dark Archive

Maybe a Chain Belt? They are mentioned under Undine equipment, but aren't specific to them. This, combined with a belt pouch, should be enough to carry the basics with them.

For everything else, they should carry around a treasure chest (until they find/can afford a bag of holding, which is like a Duffel bag, I guess).


Avast ye scurvy dogs! Real pirates use handy hav-ARRR!-sacks, o' course!

'Cept fer them's what lost a hand in shipboard combat an' had a metallic replacement put in its place. Them pirates instead use somethin' called a hooky hav-ARRR!-sack! See what I done there? YAR-HAR!

As ye were, ya lubbers.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Dragonchess Player wrote:

Well, considering that their "home" is on board their ship, they can store their belongings in their sea-chest and/or cabin.

There is less of a need for a backpack when your stuff is less than 100 yards away...

Do you mean that most of their starting gear would have been left behind in Port Peril?


Are we asking about the pirates, or PCs?

Because while pirates may not have used backpacks (which, really, is nitpicking for the purpose of this game anyway since backpack vs duffel bag is a matter of flavor...), the PCs were not pirates before the game started. That's why they were press-ganged, rather than already being part of the crew.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Sundakan wrote:

Are we asking about the pirates, or PCs?

Because while pirates may not have used backpacks (which, really, is nitpicking for the purpose of this game anyway since backpack vs duffel bag is a matter of flavor...), the PCs were not pirates before the game started. That's why they were press-ganged, rather than already being part of the crew.

Review the Skull & Shackles traits again. Most of the Player Characters were pirates before being Shanghaied.

Had they signed on voluntarily, this would be a big problem either, since they would obviously have their stuff in the locker on the ship. How it got there wouldn't be a issue.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:
Sundakan wrote:

Are we asking about the pirates, or PCs?

Because while pirates may not have used backpacks (which, really, is nitpicking for the purpose of this game anyway since backpack vs duffel bag is a matter of flavor...), the PCs were not pirates before the game started. That's why they were press-ganged, rather than already being part of the crew.

Review the Skull & Shackles traits again. Most of the Player Characters were pirates before being Shanghaied.

Had they signed on voluntarily, this would be a big problem either, since they would obviously have their stuff in the locker on the ship. How it got there wouldn't be a issue.

Nope, they were SAILORS of some sort, not necessarily pirates, and not all of the traits even imply they're that. But even if they were "typical" adventurers, it's unlikely they would've been wearing their backpacks, unless they were really suspicious about the security of the place (in which case, why go there to drink, other than hey, not much choice of places that might be "secure").

If they're sailors of some sort, they'd have a sea bag, and if they're paranoid enough to not leave it behind in the room, they'd have it with them under the table or chair at their feet or something. At any rate, it'd be considered "plunder" (even if it was in their room, I'm sure the owner of the place has an "arrangement" with press gangs to let them know what room they had, to get full value of their efforts) and taken with.

And not all of the traits presume you'll actually be in the taproom of the place when you get shanghaied, so yeah, they'd grab your stuff, too, whatever the circumstances.

LB
Da GM

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Skull & Shackles / [Player Question] Pirates don't use Backpacks. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.