Gloom Chymist - no fast gloom option?


Pathfinder Player Companion

Liberty's Edge

Hi all,

In Blood of Shadows the Alchemist archetype replaces its Bombs with Glooms.
It goes on to say that Glooms are NOT bombs for the purpose of feats or discoveries.

This would imply that the fast bomb or precise bomb discoveries are unable to be used with glooms.

Im pretty sure this is the case but Im just asking because my searches haven't found much reference to glooms anywhere and I just wanted to make sure.

thanks


As written, that seems to be the intention. It certainly limits your damage capacity as a bomb-thrower, but the glooms do have some other crowd-control utility that bombs don't.


Brew Bird wrote:
As written, that seems to be the intention. It certainly limits your damage capacity as a bomb-thrower, but the glooms do have some other crowd-control utility that bombs don't.

Yep, including a Black Tentacles discovery! Love that one.

Liberty's Edge

Yes I figured it was an archetype that probably lends itself more towards Battlefield control and body modification than out and out ranged damage. Which is fine as I have already played a bomb focused Alchemist.

Paizo Employee Rule and Lore Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.

That's exactly it. Glooms are more for debilitations and crowd control. If there is ever a good chance, I hope to expand on glooms. There are plenty of other nasty effects that I think a gloom is capable of.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Luis Loza wrote:
That's exactly it. Glooms are more for debilitations and crowd control. If there is ever a good chance, I hope to expand on glooms. There are plenty of other nasty effects that I think a gloom is capable of.

Oh please do! Easily one of the most intriguing archetypes for any class. So much fun and creativity possible with this one. Debuffs and battlefield control galore.

And it came from the Player Companion line, my fave of all Paizo products!


Fourshadow wrote:
Luis Loza wrote:
That's exactly it. Glooms are more for debilitations and crowd control. If there is ever a good chance, I hope to expand on glooms. There are plenty of other nasty effects that I think a gloom is capable of.
Oh please do! Easily one of the most intriguing archetypes for any class. So much fun and creativity possible with this one. Debuffs and battlefield control galore.

I agree. It's a great mix of flavor and good mechanics.

Liberty's Edge

Can I make one more question regarding this?

Blood of Shadows said: wrote:

A gloom does not qualify as a bomb for

the purposes of feats or discoveries.

Does this also apply also to the "Bomb Admixture" line of extracts? ie can glooms be modified by these or not?

For the record a quick synopsis of this line:
Targeted+ - no splash, but extra damage to target
Shadowy* - target and up to 3 gain concealment but limited vision
Lightning lash+ - target and up to 3 electrical tether effect.
Viper+ - create venomous snakes that attack target an up to 3 splash victims
Languid* - creates fatigue in target and up to 3 targets.
Caging - creates a force cage of splash radius

* these duplicate discovery effects of Glooms so probably redundant, but lend to the idea that Glooms can be adjusted by this spell line.

+ these effects go against the shadowy vague effects of the glooms so lend themselves against the idea that Glooms can be altered. Also Gloom Chymist loses poison use so venomous snakes are a bit counter concept.

So as you can see the argument can go either way and I'm just curious as to the intent of the writer.

(to be honest the admixture line of extracts don't add much to the Glooms but they are pretty much the only line of Alchemist only 'spells' so I would like to see them retained or a line of Gloom Admixtures ...)

Paizo Employee Rule and Lore Creative Director

No, I'd say that the admixtures wouldn't work. "Gloom" and "bomb" are two unique terms in regards to the rules. While it wouldn't be too tough to imagine an admixture modifying a gloom like it would a bomb, they weren't designed with the admixtures in mind.

i.e. If you try to use these in PFS, don't be surprised if the idea is shut down.

Liberty's Edge

That's fine. Happy to get the intent of that clear. So no admixtures.


Rules as written though, it just says that glooms don't count as bombs for the purposes of feats and discoveries, but not extracts, so you can assume that it counts as a bomb for the admixture exracts.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Pathfinder Player Companion / Gloom Chymist - no fast gloom option? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Player Companion