Dissapointment


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


I'm a little disappointed. I found a meetup .com group close to my home that plays Pathfinder at a local game shop. However, when I contacted them, they told me that no one plays Pathfinder anymore and they have like 12 people that show up every week to play D&D.

So, is it like that everywhere? No one plays Pathfinder but they do play D&D? I already bought the rule book and the bestiary, and 2 sets of dice for me and my wife. We're looking for groups who want to play with ne players. But now, I just wonder if I'm wasting our time.

Would people rather play D&D than Pathfinder?

The Exchange

Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.


Pathfinder is a good game, but it is... how shall we say... bloated and imbalanced?

5E has the advantage of being a newer and being a lighter system.

There are plenty of PF people out there, but PF is a bit less ubiquitous now.

Liberty's Edge

From my experience it is usually quite the opposite.

In the game I play in with 6 total players, myself and one other player are the only people that own a single Pathfinder resource. The other four simply use the free online tools. With the availability of everything online it makes PF easier to find players in my experience.

I have never heard of a group advertising PF that quit but still kept the group open. That is very clearly an odd bit of fate for you.

I ran a 3.0 D&D campaign that lasted from level 1 to 20. The whole point of it was that none of my players had ever done that and I vowed to give them that experience. So, nothing against D&D.

Look for another group. I'm sure you'll have better luck. Worse case scenario you could play online on a virtual tabletop.


I had trouble finding a 5E game actually. The folks I know feel 5E is boring and doesn't offer enough character options. A shame, because I'd rather run a 5E game than a PF; however im with them on being a player....


Kara Kramer-Rapp wrote:
Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.

Boston North.

Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dratikus wrote:
Kara Kramer-Rapp wrote:
Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.
Boston North.

You might consider giving Pathfinder Society a try. There's a strong contingent in Boston (and Massachusetts in general), which you can find at The Boston PFS page. They're good people with tons of games going and a flexible schedule that allows you to game whenever you like.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
kyrt-ryder wrote:

Pathfinder is a good game, but it is... how shall we say... bloated and imbalanced?

5E has the advantage of being a newer and being a lighter system.

There are plenty of PF people out there, but PF is a bit less ubiquitous now.

Probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. You may consider it bloated, I think it needs more options. If I wanted to just make up rules on the fly D and D 5th is what I would be looking for. I however, don't want that. Also, pathfinder is only bloated if you let it be that. You can limit anything in your own game, and to say pathfinder is bloated when you don't regulate your players is disingenuous. Just my opinion. Variety is the spice of life.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Meaningful variety is the spice of life. Searching through thousands of garbage feats and spells for a handful of good ones is my idea of bloated.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've found my PFS experience to be enlightening, educational, and exciting.

Mileage may vary on one's personal tastes and development.


So what does bring y'all to PF?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
John Compton wrote:
Dratikus wrote:
Kara Kramer-Rapp wrote:
Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.
Boston North.
You might consider giving Pathfinder Society a try. There's a strong contingent in Boston (and Massachusetts in general), which you can find at The Boston PFS page. They're good people with tons of games going and a flexible schedule that allows you to game whenever you like.

From the Society Coordinators page there are almost a dozen folks in Boston who can help you get connected with your local scene, although My guess is they will point you to the same sites that John did.

In our PFS community, people use PFS both for its own enjoyment, and as a spring board to meet people and launch other campaigns.


It's the only thing people around me want to play.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Valantrix1 wrote:
kyrt-ryder wrote:

Pathfinder is a good game, but it is... how shall we say... bloated and imbalanced?

5E has the advantage of being a newer and being a lighter system.

There are plenty of PF people out there, but PF is a bit less ubiquitous now.

Probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. You may consider it bloated, I think it needs more options. If I wanted to just make up rules on the fly D and D 5th is what I would be looking for. I however, don't want that. Also, pathfinder is only bloated if you let it be that. You can limit anything in your own game, and to say pathfinder is bloated when you don't regulate your players is disingenuous. Just my opinion. Variety is the spice of life.
kyrt-ryder wrote:
Meaningful variety is the spice of life. Searching through thousands of garbage feats and spells for a handful of good ones is my idea of bloated.

^^this.

Complexity is not a good thing. Complexity is a bad thing. However, Depth is good, and Complexity is the currency that buys Depth. There are "smart" buys and "not so smart" buys, and Pathfinder has a lot of "not so smart" complexity that gives little to no depth. That is why Pathfinder is bloated. Not because it has a lot of complexity, but because it has a lot of wasted complexity.


Orville Redenbacher wrote:
So what does bring y'all to PF?

The promises of preserving 3.5 and compatibility with 3.5 resources and improvement brought me here during the Pathfinder RPG playtest, the community kept me here


Dratikus wrote:
Kara Kramer-Rapp wrote:
Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.
Boston North.

There are a whole bunch of venues in the greater Boston area. For actual game schedules they use Warhorn.

Maybe I will see you at the Compleat Strategist on Saturday.


In my region Pathfinder is the main RPG played, but as you get closer to Sydney 5e starts to be more popular.


You might want to look into playing online with roll20. Having a consistently good group was my problem along with actually finding people at all.


Here in the San Francisco Bay Area when I started playing Pathfinder Society at my local gaming store five years ago it seemed like PFS was the only game in town. We were fielding 5 or 6 tables of Pathfinder Society every week. Now, for the past year, that store has several tables of Dungeons and Dragons throughout the week. They always schedule a table of Pathfinder Society each week but sadly nobody signs up for it.

On a related note, shortly after the Pathfinder Core Rulebook came out I started noticing 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons books appearing on the shelves at my local Half-Price Bookstore and when 5th Edition came out even more began piling up, but for the past several months their have been scads of Pathfinder books added to the shelves. Just this week I picked up a half-priced copy of Bestiary 5. Only recently have I encountered a single 5th Edition book there.


Dratikus wrote:
Kara Kramer-Rapp wrote:
Where are you guys located? Here in Sacramento we have a pretty decent group.
Boston North.

I'm in southern NH and have seen a number of local places with Pathfinder games. Myriad Games in Manchester or maybe Game Castle in Londonderry could be a place to look... you know... if you want to travel to NH.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

There was a store just 2 minutes away from my house that never got any RPG action. The store owner said there's no interest in it in my area. The only thing people care about are cards. I do some research and find on some message boards that no one likes running games there because the weekends are always packed with card tournaments and there's no private place for board gaming.


Reading this topic, I realize I have no idea what's more common here in Los Angeles. I play pathfinder with a group that is 5 people I went to high school with, 2 who went to my high school after I graduated (but went with the younger classmates that I did) and 1 person who was recommended to us by friends of friends.

We play pathfinder because we have the stuff, we know it, and for what we don't have there's the prd/d20pfsrd/archives of nethys.


I don't know why anyone would play 5E. I've heard that certain places favour certain systems, though, for whatever twisted delusion they may have. Our tiny-ass gaming community where I live uses Pathfinder; they used to use 3.0/3.5, but I introduced my friend to Pathfinder as an improved version, and she introduced it to everyone else. As far as I know, 5E thankfully hasn't taken off here. A larger game store in a relatively nearby city apparently favours 5E, so I'm half-glad that it's still two hours' drive away.


Lots of people play lots of different systems, you're not wasting time by getting invested in Pathfinder, your books won't fade away if you don't find a table right away. There are niche communities for every game, if you're new to the hobby it will probably blow your mind how many different games are out there. Honestly I'm jealous that you have a local shop with a 12 player gaming community, regardless of the system they're playing.

I recommend introducing yourself and getting involved anyway, maybe after you make friends you can wrangle a few of them into a private Pathfinder game. Offer to run it, that always helps.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Remember, there is always the internet.


Bloodrealm wrote:
I don't know why anyone would play 5E. I've heard that certain places favour certain systems, though, for whatever twisted delusion they may have. Our tiny-ass gaming community where I live uses Pathfinder; they used to use 3.0/3.5, but I introduced my friend to Pathfinder as an improved version, and she introduced it to everyone else. As far as I know, 5E thankfully hasn't taken off here. A larger game store in a relatively nearby city apparently favours 5E, so I'm half-glad that it's still two hours' drive away.

I have a couple of friends who keep trying to push 5E on the rest of the group. Neither of them like reading rules, so 5E's minimalism appeals to them. I hate it, though, so I've taken up DMing to keep playing PF.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As someone who really likes a whole bunch of fairly obscure tabletop games, I find that if you want to be in a game for a specific system one thing that really helps get the ball rolling is "offer to run one." If you offer to run a game, and it goes well then someone else will probably want to run it next time.

Be an ambassador for the games you love and they will often thrive proportionally to how good an ambassador you are. This is as true for Pathfinder as it is for Castle Falkenstein (which is, FWIW, rad.)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Dissapointment All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.