Your favorite thing that people hate


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion

701 to 721 of 721 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Don't I remember... I tried to convert my psi able AD&D1 characters, I had to use the gestalt system, since multiclassing would have nerfed them too much in both their main class and psi aspects.

and I don't see why the spell point system would bother the DM, it's up to the player to do his bookkeeping.


Trivy wrote:
I love psionics. Lot of people hate them because "psychic powers don't fit in a world of magic and spells."

IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.


I'm kind of neutral on psionics in a thematic sense. There have been balance problems with some of the latter day psionic stuff as well though. Of course there are balance problems with magic and other stuff too, but since psionics isn't used as much often all people see of it is the unbalanced thing "that one guy" did one time. For instance, we had a guy in 3.5 who would summon an Astral Construct as a Swift action <insert most gripe threads about the APG Summoner>

What makes it memorable is that first time he summoned one somebody handed him a cow mini, and it was dubbed "The Astral Cow" (even though in game terms the creature was probably more humanoid). Years later people still laugh out loud and complain bitterly about the psionic PC and his Astral Cows. Ever since the player moved away nobody I play with has tried psionics as a PC again though DMs throw in psionic monsters from time to time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Vancian Casting


johnlocke90 wrote:
Trivy wrote:
I love psionics. Lot of people hate them because "psychic powers don't fit in a world of magic and spells."
IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.

As I recall, 1e psionics were often more of a curse than a boon unless your percentiles were really hot. Having just a wee smidge of psionic talent in 1e was a great way to get your brain melted by all manner of horrible monsters, let alone a mind flayer.


Speaking of Psionics, I am posting leveled mutations in homebrew. Telekinesis and Telepathy are separate, unless you take the mutant class or a defect, you can't have both. The will saves for one and reflex saves for the other make them spell like enough that some game balance is mostly retained.

Some people seem to hate homebrew. They might as well play PFS. If they want to go all the way to Core, they shouldn't object to my wanting to play homebrew. If someone suddenly reports this thread and insists it should be moved to homebrew(This has happened in the past) they should be rebuffed. One post does not turn the whole topic into homebrew.:(


Wow, after reading through here it seems I'm a fan of a fair amount of things people don't like.

Paizo
The Core Rulebook
Vancian Spellcasting
Non PFS games


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
LizardMage wrote:

Wow, after reading through here it seems I'm a fan of a fair amount of things people don't like.

Paizo
The Core Rulebook
Vancian Spellcasting
Non PFS games

I'm a fan of all those. though, I wouldn't say i'm a fan of all of paizo, just specific employees.


I'm a fan of all of paizo.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
voideternal wrote:
I'm a fan of all of paizo.

even steve who works in accounting?


Bandw2 wrote:
voideternal wrote:
I'm a fan of all of paizo.
even steve who works in accounting?

Even Cosmo?


kyrt-ryder wrote:
Bandw2 wrote:
voideternal wrote:
I'm a fan of all of paizo.
even steve who works in accounting?
Even Cosmo?

Even Sebastian?


Turin the Mad wrote:
johnlocke90 wrote:
Trivy wrote:
I love psionics. Lot of people hate them because "psychic powers don't fit in a world of magic and spells."
IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.

As I recall, 1e psionics were often more of a curse than a boon unless your percentiles were really hot. Having just a wee smidge of psionic talent in 1e was a great way to get your brain melted by all manner of horrible monsters, let alone a mind flayer.

I suspect it's 2nd ed psionics that were grossly overpowered...

3rd ed never struck me that way, then again, I never got to truly try them out.


Klorox wrote:
Turin the Mad wrote:
johnlocke90 wrote:
Trivy wrote:
I love psionics. Lot of people hate them because "psychic powers don't fit in a world of magic and spells."
IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.

As I recall, 1e psionics were often more of a curse than a boon unless your percentiles were really hot. Having just a wee smidge of psionic talent in 1e was a great way to get your brain melted by all manner of horrible monsters, let alone a mind flayer.

I suspect it's 2nd ed psionics that were grossly overpowered...

3rd ed never struck me that way, then again, I never got to truly try them out.

3rd was rough 3.5 wasn't as bad


Unchained Barbarian. Rage-cycling is ridiculous.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
johnlocke90 wrote:

IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.

Yea, I once played a totally different game with totally different rules. That game had a subsystem with the same name as a common synonym for supernatural power. I didn't like that subsystem. Therefore, any other game using that word is automatically terrible, even if the only thing it has in common is the name and is in a totally different game system.


Sarcasm Dragon wrote:
johnlocke90 wrote:

IIRC, the original psionics were super overpowered, which turned people off from them.

Yea, I once played a totally different game with totally different rules. That game had a subsystem with the same name as a common synonym for supernatural power. I didn't like that subsystem. Therefore, any other game using that word is automatically terrible, even if the only thing it has in common is the name and is in a totally different game system.

Very fitting name. I'll admit I'm rather indifferent to psionics, though I had a friend who did some minor work on one of 3PP psionics books and was always trying to get me to check it out. For whatever reason it just never grabbed me.


And it doesn't help that psionics are 3rd party. The majority don't allow 3rd party regardless.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kahel Stormbender wrote:

Ah, looks like PF changed sleep and lightning bolt. Sleep is now a flat 4 hit dice worth of creatures, and lightning bolt no longer reflects back if it hits a wall. Hadn't used those in PF yet so hadn't been aware of the changes to those particular spells. I generally play a fire based sorcerer when I make a caster. But the sleep spell STILL says it affects lowest HD creatures first. So an ogre and 3 level one PCs in the radius, players have to make their saves THEN it can affect the ogre, assuming there's enough HD left to do so.

Huh, looks like they reduced the radius of a fireball too by a bit. I'd still stand by a ruling of a fireball in a 5 foot wide hall and a backstop 10 feet beyond the target is going to spread back and affect someone standing 40 feet away from the target. Normally, the caster and company would be safe. But in that situation, the fireball's spread is channeled towards them.

Some if not all of these rules are from second edition DnD :p

The Exchange

swoosh wrote:

Summoners. They're really flavorful and cool and while problematic for balance, so are many other things. I just use the "don't be a dick" rule and things work fine.

HeHateMe wrote:
The only thing I dislike about Occult classes is how underpowered they are compared to pretty much every class that was designed before them.

That's pretty much just the kineticist though. Psychic, Occultist, Medium, Spiritualist and Mesmerist are all solid as hell.

HyperMissingno wrote:


HyperMissingno wrote:
Why can't everyone accept this CLEARLY better way as standard?
Because people hate fractions.
HyperMissingno wrote:
This, combined with a perception I see a lot that multiclassing is fundamentally cheesy.

If the people do not like fractions, decimate them!


This catfolk picture, as well as catfolk in general. Not sure if a majority hates them, but at least some people hate the race, and some more hate just that picture.

(Don't get me wrong, I can see several reasons people could be bothered by them, but I don't mind Anime cat girls, and I consider spines optional for depictions of cat and snake people. I used to describe my high-dex vishkanya mesmerist as "giving chiropractors nightmares".)

701 to 721 of 721 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Your favorite thing that people hate All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.