2016 US Election


Off-Topic Discussions

7,001 to 7,050 of 7,079 << first < prev | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | next > last >>

Head of the National "Stop and Frisk" campaign


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh Christ, the bleak feeling I have now.

*head in hands*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Well lets see how the world starts to shape up at the end of 2016, with Brexit and Trump, so many stupid decisions will go down, lets see what no.3 will be...

Things often do come in threes... But we can break that trend... right?

Cubs won.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

My promise, to myself, is to be a better person, try as hard as I can, but just be better, kinder, more patient, more respectful, and more open to listen.


BigDTBone wrote:
Aranna wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Well lets see how the world starts to shape up at the end of 2016, with Brexit and Trump, so many stupid decisions will go down, lets see what no.3 will be...

Things often do come in threes... But we can break that trend... right?

Cubs won.

the cubs did win.

X files was right!


Terquem wrote:
My promise, to myself, is to be a better person, try as hard as I can, but just be better, kinder, more patient, more respectful, and more open to listen.

That is all we can ever be.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigDTBone wrote:
Aranna wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Well lets see how the world starts to shape up at the end of 2016, with Brexit and Trump, so many stupid decisions will go down, lets see what no.3 will be...

Things often do come in threes... But we can break that trend... right?

Cubs won.

That just reminds me that we need to blame 538.com for tempting the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Heck if I know what position Arpaio might try to get.

*Mixes a drink for himself*

My feelings at the moment are... hmm...

Well, for one, I don't think I'm very happy with the generation that's currently in power. First the financial crisis, and now when we're barely edging forward, this. A man whose budget plan is to massively increase the deficit, and who is basically a self-proclaimed figurehead. He doesn't have policies - he just lets other people do the work and take the credit. So that means a VP who was highly disliked as Governor of his State is likely to get a whole lot of power. Most of his promises aren't even remotely possible. We've done the math on the wall, and it's just not going to happen.

As for the rest? Given his talk about "quickly" ending problems, I'm seriously wondering if his plan is simply to send the National Guard en force to hot spots and simply stomp on everyone. But then, he is a liar, and massively so - and in the end, I think the only person he truly wants to look out for is himself. Maaaaaaybe his kids.

Trump is, fundamentally, a con man. His work in life has been to lie, cheat, and bribe his way to success, stepping over everyone else along the way. He's a documented sexist and racist, has the self-control of a child, and barely even seems to understand how Government even functions. And he wasn't even very good at the part where he was trying to make money, since simply putting stuff in an index fund would have made him much wealthier than he is now. I mean, I could kind of understand supporting him if he was actually successful... but by the numbers, he's a pretty bad businessman. And we have no reason to believe he's going to be any different as the most powerful person in the world.

I can understand being unhappy with the current system - but Trump was never the right answer. Unfortunately, hate and fear can still take you pretty far, and until the demographics change enough... looks like this is what we've got.

I don't actually drink alcohol, but given all of this, I think I have a bit more understanding for those who do.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Caught a flu while running around to take care of paperwork. Some of the reactions here are pure gold. Wake me up when there's an actual crisis please.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
FantheFlames wrote:

As I said last night, and still believe, Trump is not the true reason I'm concerned.

I'm concerned that this is going to be the sort of candidate we see from the Republican party, and yes, potentially even the Democratic party, from this moment forward. A Trump victory has proven that this sort of candidate wins. Why fix what ain't broke, right?

I think it was more that Hilary was a horrible candidate combined with the fact that a party rarely keeps the presidency for more than 8 years at a stretch. Frankly - most any other candidate in those circumstances wouldn't have made it such a nail-biter. Trump won "despite" not "because" of the sort of candidate he is.


Freehold DM wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
Aranna wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Well lets see how the world starts to shape up at the end of 2016, with Brexit and Trump, so many stupid decisions will go down, lets see what no.3 will be...

Things often do come in threes... But we can break that trend... right?

Cubs won.

the cubs did win.

X files was right!

X files? What did X files say?

I never saw very much X Files.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Once again, the will of the American people is thwarted by a system of government based around how long it took to get from South Carolina to New York on a horse.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Charon's Little Helper wrote:
FantheFlames wrote:

As I said last night, and still believe, Trump is not the true reason I'm concerned.

I'm concerned that this is going to be the sort of candidate we see from the Republican party, and yes, potentially even the Democratic party, from this moment forward. A Trump victory has proven that this sort of candidate wins. Why fix what ain't broke, right?

I think it was more that Hilary was a horrible candidate combined with the fact that a party rarely keeps the presidency for more than 8 years at a stretch. Frankly - most any other Republican candidate wouldn't have made it such a nail-biter given those circumstances. Trump won "despite" not "because" of the sort of candidate he is.

I understand that there were a lot of factors in play, including the fact that Hillary was not a good candidate.

However, the entire night sort of gave Trump credence, and legitimacy. He pulled in a rural vote that no Republican in ages has been able to do. He caused a fervor and voter turnout that shocked basically everyone. He seemed to absolutely destroy the primaries, which has brought us to today.

I hope, and sort of expect, that in 4 years, Republicans will still put forward a more levelheaded individual, especially if Trump's presidency is an insane one. But I can't shake this fear that a victory for Trump spells a potential future to political candidates.


FanTheFlames wrote:
hope, and sort of expect, that in 4 years, Republicans will still put forward a more levelheaded individual, especially if Trump's presidency is an insane one. But I can't shake this fear that a victory for Trump spells a potential future to political candidates.

That would be admiting that they made a mistake. Republicans are based around the perception that they are the better option, it's easier to fake that than to admit that they're wrong and change what they're doing.


I keep trying to find the right words for the absolute madness that has just occurred, all to no avail, nothing seems quite right.

All I keep thinking is...We have made our bed, now we have to lie in it.

A simple, but to me in this moment, terrifying little saying.

As Americans, we just took a huge step in a direction we have not been before (not exactly anyway)...I fear the path we are now on goes nowhere good.


BigDTBone earlier in this thread wrote:

Clinton supporters (like myself) NEED to be vigilant that there appears to be a polling bias in her favor this season.

Suck.

Sovereign Court

I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM_Beernorg wrote:


As Americans, we just took a huge step in a direction we have not been before (not exactly anyway)...I fear the path we are now on goes nowhere good.

We have been there before

It sucked

Thats what annoys me for why people decided to do it anyway


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Pan wrote:
I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.

The glimmer of hope is that, despite his rhetoric, there is the fact that Donald Trump seemed at least somewhat moderate in 2008 and 2012 before he decided to call for revolution over the Popular Vote.

What I hope is that Trump played the long con and appealed to a voter base that felt disenfranchised. Now that he's actually been elected, I hope to see a more moderate form of himself. The first few weeks in office will decide that.

The thing is...I think Trump has some good points. I think that there should be more focus on the common man worker. I do think that the government has gone into their ivory towers and are not focused on the common man. It's just that of all the people who should be the rallying cry of this message...Billionaire, son of a real estate tycoon Donald Trump, is not the man that I would have pictured doing it. Which is why I am extremely skeptical. I hope he proves me wrong.


All too true there BNW...what was it Merlin said in Excalibur?

"For it is the doom of men that they forget."

Our short memory may well cost us all more than we can afford...

Sovereign Court

FantheFlames wrote:
Pan wrote:
I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.

The glimmer of hope is that, despite his rhetoric, there is the fact that Donald Trump seemed at least somewhat moderate in 2008 and 2012 before he decided to call for revolution over the Popular Vote.

What I hope is that Trump played the long con and appealed to a voter base that felt disenfranchised. Now that he's actually been elected, I hope to see a more moderate form of himself. The first few weeks in office will decide that.

The thing is...I think Trump has some good points. I think that there should be more focus on the common man worker. I do think that the government has gone into their ivory towers and are not focused on the common man. It's just that of all the people who should be the rallying cry of this message...Billionaire, son of a real estate tycoon Donald Trump, is not the man that I would have pictured doing it. Which is why I am extremely skeptical. I hope he proves me wrong.

I hope he proves you wrong too. I think Trump has made a living off the "common man worker" and sees them as nothing but opportunity. Hope he proves me wrong too.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pan wrote:
I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.

Well, I'm not a great scholar of world history, but as I understand it after the camps and ghettos are up and running the rest of the country should start being a lot more unified.


Aranna wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
Aranna wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Well lets see how the world starts to shape up at the end of 2016, with Brexit and Trump, so many stupid decisions will go down, lets see what no.3 will be...

Things often do come in threes... But we can break that trend... right?

Cubs won.

the cubs did win.

X files was right!

X files? What did X files say?

I never saw very much X Files.

just something

About the world being doomed when the cubs win the series.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Trump's history is stepping all over other people to get what he wants. Not just once or twice - over and over and over, stiffing people even when they gave him exactly what he wanted, usually just to help pad his own pocketbook. I don't think he's going to champion anyone but himself.

I would be delighted to be wrong on this, by the way, and no small part of me hopes I am. Unfortunately, decades of abuse suggest otherwise.


Rednal wrote:

Trump's history is stepping all over other people to get what he wants. Not just once or twice - over and over and over, stiffing people even when they gave him exactly what he wanted, usually just to help pad his own pocketbook. I don't think he's going to champion anyone but himself.

I would be delighted to be wrong on this, by the way, and no small part of me hopes I am. Unfortunately, decades of abuse suggest otherwise.

Unfortunately I agree, I hope I am wrong,as well. But the evidence of how he got here and what he has said and done, make me dread what he will do with the power he just got. his track record does not bode well for any of us.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM_Beernorg wrote:

I keep trying to find the right words for the absolute madness that has just occurred, all to no avail, nothing seems quite right.

All I keep thinking is...We have made our bed, now we have to lie in it.

A simple, but to me in this moment, terrifying little saying.

As Americans, we just took a huge step in a direction we have not been before (not exactly anyway)...I fear the path we are now on goes nowhere good.

Real shame we continue to support a system that allows the Plutocracy to push puppets and give people no real choice. The entire system is deeply flawed. We could have stepped up and said no to both terrible candidates. We did not, instead choosing to sensationalize and rage and grasp at the person who promised to give more and take less depending on who we are. So We get what we deserve because we get what we chose.

Such a shame the dems pushed Sanders out. He was ok-ish and he would have beat Trump.

The words you are looking for, btw.
"Now we are all sons of b~@#&es."- Dr Bainbridge


Pan wrote:
I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.

by segment you mean the slight majority?


8 people marked this as a favorite.

As a result of yesterday's vote, I am going to lose my health care. There is a strong possibility I will also lose my job. I won't be able to get health insurance, either, without the PPACA, because of my pre-existing medical conditions.

If you voted for Trump because you felt that the most transparent candidate in U.S. history "couldn't be trusted," then I hope you are happy. I wish you all the best in your efforts to make a living and support yourself under the Trump administration and beyond. Even after I am gone.

Liberty's Edge

Rednal wrote:
Consolation prize: Sheriff Joe Arpaio lost his bid for re-election.

Best election news I've heard so far!

Actually... the only other even 'good' election news I heard was that the fake solar ammendment in Florida was defeated.

Nobody I voted for actually won. I really need to move.

Silver Crusade

CBDunkerson wrote:
Rednal wrote:
Consolation prize: Sheriff Joe Arpaio lost his bid for re-election.

Best election news I've heard so far!

Actually... the only other even 'good' election news I heard was that the fake solar ammendment in Florida was defeated.

Nobody I voted for actually won. I really need to move.

Pot I believe was legalized.


BigNorseWolf wrote:
Pan wrote:
I'm curious, yet dubious of Trump's claim to work on unification. Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population. Be an interesting couple of years ahead of us all.
by segment you mean the slight majority?

Actually, I'd suspect he has contempt for an overwhelming majority - pretty much everybody who isn't Trump.

Grand Lodge

Arizona voted to up the minimum wage but against legal pot. This is bizarre.


Rysky wrote:
CBDunkerson wrote:
Rednal wrote:
Consolation prize: Sheriff Joe Arpaio lost his bid for re-election.

Best election news I've heard so far!

Actually... the only other even 'good' election news I heard was that the fake solar ammendment in Florida was defeated.

Nobody I voted for actually won. I really need to move.

Pot I believe was legalized.

In several places.

Liberty's Edge

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Arizona voted to up the minimum wage but against legal pot. This is bizarre.

Can't have those burger flippers wasting their new fortune on weed?

Liberty's Edge

Rysky wrote:
Pot I believe was legalized.

Good. We'll be needing it as a pain killer.

Yeah, I guess that and minimum wage increases passing in some states was good. So... some state level initiatives and no more America's Worst Sheriff. A glimmer in the darkness.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

he lost the popular vote. Why is no one pointing this out?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

This goes far beyond Trump. Ignorance beat reality. An obstructionist congress was rewarded with total control. There is no longer any motivation for things to get better. There is no reward...

Liberty's Edge

BigNorseWolf wrote:
he lost the popular vote. Why is no one pointing this out?

It's almost as if the system doesn't work...


BigNorseWolf wrote:
he lost the popular vote. Why is no one pointing this out?

Does look like it. Second disaster in recent years caused by the difference between the electoral college and the popular vote.

Doesn't change the outcome of course.


9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pan wrote:
Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population.

That's very true. And I think it's part of the reason that the map ended up being so red. Liberal contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with them completely is a real thing, and it was a large factor.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Knight who says Meh wrote:
This goes far beyond Trump. Ignorance beat reality. An obstructionist congress was rewarded with total control. There is no longer any motivation for things to get better. There is no reward...

That's the beauty of the Republican message. Government is bad, so making it worse by obstruction is good and gets you votes.


Well, thus far, I was wrong about the nation, but right about New Hampshire.*

Guess I'm out 20 Paizobucks but can stay on the OTD fully clothed for the next four years.

Now, off to work to put up with TST's gloating.

---
*Was up to two waiting for the NH vote to come in. Wtf?!? East coast state and all.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Norman Osborne wrote:
Pan wrote:
Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population.
That's very true. And I think it's part of the reason that the map ended up being so red. Liberal contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with them completely is a real thing, and it was a large factor.

Exactly. When you mainstream classism and racism against rural and blue-collar whites, don't be surprised when they fight back. And after the violence against Trump supporters in places like San Jose, it's no surprise they didn't make themselves known to the pollsters.

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Norman Osborne wrote:
Pan wrote:
Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population.
That's very true. And I think it's part of the reason that the map ended up being so red. Liberal contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with them completely is a real thing, and it was a large factor.

That may well be true, but frankly... I'm finding it very difficult NOT to have contempt for the people who just elected Donald Trump President of the United States.

I guess we can still say it is a historic election. Instead of the first female president we now have the first president to boast of being a sex offender. Well done 'morality voters'.


Comrade Anklebiter wrote:

Well, thus far, I was wrong about the nation, but right about New Hampshire.*

Guess I'm out 20 Paizobucks but can stay on the OTD fully clothed for the next four years.

Now, off to work to put up with TST's gloating.

---
*Was up to two waiting for the NH vote to come in. Wtf?!? East coast state and all.

Probably a recount for the Senate race. Hope Maggie holds on.

And Sunnunu won the governor's race.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
CBDunkerson wrote:
Instead of the first female president we now have the first president to boast of being a sex offender. Well done 'morality voters'.

Selective amnesia?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
RainyDayNinja wrote:
Norman Osborne wrote:
Pan wrote:
Kind of hard to accomplish when you have contempt for a segment of the population.
That's very true. And I think it's part of the reason that the map ended up being so red. Liberal contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with them completely is a real thing, and it was a large factor.
Exactly. When you mainstream classism and racism against rural and blue-collar whites, don't be surprised when they fight back. And after the violence against Trump supporters in places like San Jose, it's no surprise they didn't make themselves known to the pollsters.

as opposed to the mainstream classism and racism against urban, white collar folks and non whites espoused by Trump supporters?

That's an ugly part of every election cycle.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Norman Osborne wrote:
CBDunkerson wrote:
Instead of the first female president we now have the first president to boast of being a sex offender. Well done 'morality voters'.
Selective amnesia?

Bill has the decency to pretend to be ashamed of himself.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Norman Osborne wrote:
CBDunkerson wrote:
Instead of the first female president we now have the first president to boast of being a sex offender. Well done 'morality voters'.
Selective amnesia?

Do you not understand the difference between unproven allegations against a person (e.g. Donald Trump has been accused of raping a 13 year old girl) and the person themself saying they committed the crime (e.g. Donald Trump was recorded saying he sexually manhandles women against their will)?


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Democrats: lets fund this healthcare thing out of the general fund.

Republicans: no, lets fund people that don't have health insurance by making people who do have it pay more

Democrats: well if thats the best deal we can get then it's the bes

Republicans: YOUR RATES ARE GOING UP! YOU"RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY MORE! GET THEM! STOP THEM!

7,001 to 7,050 of 7,079 << first < prev | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / 2016 US Election All Messageboards