Justice League


Movies

651 to 700 of 794 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Delightful,

That might be, but it's still stupid for me.

Marc,

Probably but can you blame them? Almost 10 years on after the Dark Knight Trilogy and they can't get anything going?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Marc,

Probably but can you blame them? Almost 10 years on after the Dark Knight Trilogy and they can't get anything going?

Not at all. I’m actually suprised it took this long to finally happen - there have been rumblings it was coming for a while ...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm not. The higher ups at WB aren't known for their brain trust...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At some point someone had to wear the studio meddling that clearly impacted the quality of movies and sales of tickets for those movies.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Reason I never got into the DC movies:

They say they're trying to make a DCU, but when I see the movie previews I see a different actor for the Flash than the one that's on TV.

I shrug and switch the input to HDMI2 to watch some Marvel Netflix.

The End.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Making double the movie's budget is a failure? Some people...

Dark Archive

Zzorn wrote:
They say they're trying to make a DCU, but when I see the movie previews I see a different actor for the Flash than the one that's on TV.

Oh gosh, now I'm flashing back to the fans who were disappointed that Tom Welling wasn't cast to be in the Superman movie, because he'd played Clark on Smallville.

And now I'm picturing the actors they had playing the Flash, Black Canary and Aquaman on Smallville on the big screen. My eyes, they burn!

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hama wrote:
Making double the movie's budget is a failure? Some people...

Typically with a big budget movie like this, a studio spends about the same in marketing as they do to make a movie, so a movie has to make double it’s budget just to break even.

And just breaking even (i.e., just making your money back) is generally seen by studios as a failure


Browman wrote:
At some point someone had to wear the studio meddling that clearly impacted the quality of movies and sales of tickets for those movies.

Or decide that the problem is the directors and that the film should be made by a random amalgamation of studio execs.


Set wrote:

And now I'm picturing the actors they had playing the Flash, Black Canary and Aquaman on Smallville on the big screen. My eyes, they burn!

Did you deliberately leave Green Arrow out of your analysis? :P

Dark Archive

GM PDK wrote:
Set wrote:

And now I'm picturing the actors they had playing the Flash, Black Canary and Aquaman on Smallville on the big screen. My eyes, they burn!

Did you deliberately leave Green Arrow out of your analysis? :P

Yes, because I didn't hate Justin Hartley as Green Arrow and so the thought of him (or Stephen Amell) in a movie as Green Arrow don't bug me as much, and would make a poor example.

Those other people? No thanks.

I grew up with three different James Bonds, and am used to different actors playing the same character, so I'm okay with Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller both playing the Flash, in different mediums, or Henry Cavill and Tyler Hoechlin 'sharing' the role of Superman.

I suppose Dr. Who fans are even more accepting of this sort of thing, with multiple actors playing the same character being kind of the Doctor's schtick! :)


Every time I see Matt Smith on the Crown, I full expect the TARDIS to show up.

Same for David Tennant. ;)


Set wrote:

Oh gosh, now I'm flashing back to the fans who were disappointed that Tom Welling wasn't cast to be in the Superman movie, because he'd played Clark on Smallville.

Tom Welling was a fine CK back in the day, but I think most people who've seen him in his current role on Lucifer would agree, he would no longer make a good Superman.


Nope, he's no longer Clark Kent any more than Dean Cain is. Or even as Superman.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Set wrote:
Zzorn wrote:
They say they're trying to make a DCU, but when I see the movie previews I see a different actor for the Flash than the one that's on TV.

Oh gosh, now I'm flashing back to the fans who were disappointed that Tom Welling wasn't cast to be in the Superman movie, because he'd played Clark on Smallville.

And now I'm picturing the actors they had playing the Flash, Black Canary and Aquaman on Smallville on the big screen. My eyes, they burn!

They should bring Kirk Alyn back to play Superman. :-)

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

Marc Radle wrote:
Hama wrote:
Making double the movie's budget is a failure? Some people...

Typically with a big budget movie like this, a studio spends about the same in marketing as they do to make a movie, so a movie has to make double it’s budget just to break even.

And just breaking even (i.e., just making your money back) is generally seen by studios as a failure

Also, the studio doesn't get all of the box office - the theater gets some. The new Star Wars is getting 65% which is the highest ever for any movie, with most big blockbusters being in the 60%+ range. So double the budget barely covers the costs of making a blockbuster - and not the marketing at all.


Thomas Seitz wrote:

Every time I see Matt Smith on the Crown, I full expect the TARDIS to show up.

Same for David Tennant. ;)

Thing that was always weird for me when I watched torchwood. Always expected to hear that oh so familiar sound and someone to come save the day.


Vid,

Not sure about Torchwood, but any other time I see those two.

It used to be for Eccleston before he mucked things up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Torchwood was kind of meh till they started doing the season mini series thing. That was pretty good and surprisingly dark for the most part.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I only saw the first season or so of Torchwood, and it was *unbelievably dark* when one started wrapping one's brain around some of the ramifications.

And the Prime minister using their resources during one Invasion began to make a LOT more sense.

However, I don't foresee a JL/Torchwood crossover any time soon...


Huh. I did not realize that guy used to be superman.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Torchwood: One Of These Days We'll Actually Save Someone's Life.

Would have made a good Man of Steel crossover... Justice League less-so.


I still don't get the connection...but okay!


Set wrote:


I grew up with three different James Bonds, and am used to different actors playing the same character, so I'm okay with Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller both playing the Flash, in different mediums, or Henry Cavill and Tyler Hoechlin 'sharing' the role of Superman.

Only three James Bonds? Wow, you're just a kid. ;)

*Technically*, if you count "Never Say Never Again," I grew up with five, since I was born a few years after the one Lazenby film.

In all seriousness, switching actors is a long-time Hollywood tradition. I mean, if you look closely, you have two different actors playing the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz!


I rarely count Lazenby, but I do count Connery, Moore, Dalton, Bronson,
and now Craig.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TarSpartan wrote:
Only three James Bonds? Wow, you're just a kid. ;)

Oh, I'm not counting the new guys, 'cause I didn't 'grow up' with them.

Connery, Lazenby and Moore were the Bonds of my youth. Dalton, Brosnan and Craig didn't get the job until I was an adult. (And I never saw the one with David Niven as Bond...)


Set,

You weren't the only one to not see Niven. But while I too grew up with Connery and Moore (not Lazenby), I also had Dalton, Bronson and then Craig.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Somehow I barely remember Lazenby - though I do remember the movie. He just sort of blurs into the other two.

Moore was the one I saw in theaters as a youth. Connery on tv reruns, I assume.

Craig is kind of different - It's a reboot, with a different take on the character. The others were much more recasting and continuing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Niven and Lazenby were one-offs, so it's reasonable to ignore them when considering Bonds one "grew up with."

My first Bond film was The Man With the Golden Gun. I pretty much think of Connery and Moore as the only "real" Bonds until I was 27, though I have seen the Niven and Lazenby movies along with all of Connery's and Moore's.

I think I've seen maybe half of the Dalton/Brosnan/Craig movies.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Craig is actually more accurate to the novels. Bond is supposed to be a borderline ruthless thug with just enough polish to get him in where he needs to go, but there's always this simmering boil of potential violence just beneath the surface. Craig does it flawlessly.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I've gotten into considerable arguements regarding this.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah I've begun reading the novels and I remember thinking to myself "This guy is not nearly sophisticated enough to be what Connery and Moore or Brosnan did for him"

Dalton was much closer to the character. So was Craig.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Even Connery came off as a bit of an ass, and felt truer to the book Bond than Moore, who was far too charming and sometimes goofy (even when his mouth wasn't smiling, it felt like his eyes were, and his Bond movies felt, as a result, more like feelgood movies, like those Ocean's Eleven movies where the movie itself may not be great, but the cast are visibly having so much fun that's it's a bit infectious). Dalton was a good colder Bond, and then Brosnan leaned back into Moore's 'charming sophisticated Bond' territory (the sort of Bond that Sterling Archer thinks he is). :)

Craig just jerked the needle back to 'jerk Bond,' which was cool.

Batman's gone through the same sort of evolutions, with some actors adding some charm, and others adding some badass. We are currently at 'grumpy old Connery' Batman, I think. :)

Superman, too, now that I think of it, from charming Reeves to scowly Cavill, although I think that's turning around.

In another few decades, perhaps there'll be internet discussions about which of the four or five actresses to play Wonder Woman did the best / most accurate / most entertaining take on the character (and some yob will go all George Lazenby and bring up Adrienne Palicki's hard-to-find unaired pilot, or Justin Hartley's Aquaman!). :)


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The first James Bond was Barry Nelson, in 1954's "Casino Royale", an hour long episode of The Climax! Mystery Theatre. If I saw it, I don't remember it, but then I was seven. :-)

There have been 16 James Bonds, if you count them all, including such as Bob Simmons, who played the JB in the opening credits of "Dr. No" who you see through the barrel of a bad guy's gun, who JB then shoots.

Shadow Lodge

I don't think I've ever managed to watch a Bond film in full, now that I think about it.


So I guess that means we're done talking about DCEU then and this movie huh?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What thomas said. Hmmm I just need to make an alias :what Seitz said: I'l just post in replys with a single period.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME

Heh

Sovereign Court

Laughing now


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I truly enjoyed it.

I picked out the whedony pieces and left them on my plate.


Like Aquaman sitting on the lasso and spilling his silly guts or the annoying final voiceover?
Yeah, me too.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

I loved the Aquaman sequence.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

yeah! I remember that happened in a comic back in the hook hand days. He was making small talk and ranting about how much he hated the fact that people thought they had anything in common because they were both 'royalty' and he finds her off-putish and snobby... and despite it all he can't figure out why he wants her so badly!!

Then wonderwoman looked down and comment that his foot was tangled in her lasso....

Classic Awkwardness :D


Vid,

As long as you don't use Doctor Seitz or Mister Seitz. The former was my dad. The latter is probably one of my brothers. :P :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

T-Seitz it is. I am ok with bing called mister Vid you can call me Dr. Vid but it would me inacurate. (unless im useing my doom alias.)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.
phantom1592 wrote:

yeah! I remember that happened in a comic back in the hook hand days. He was making small talk and ranting about how much he hated the fact that people thought they had anything in common because they were both 'royalty' and he finds her off-putish and snobby... and despite it all he can't figure out why he wants her so badly!!

Then wonderwoman looked down and comment that his foot was tangled in her lasso....

Classic Awkwardness :D

Also reminded me a bit of this

Sovereign Court

Freehold DM wrote:

I truly enjoyed it.

I picked out the whedony pieces and left them on my plate.

Which were those?


Anything quippy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

He's like a reverse stalker.

651 to 700 of 794 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Justice League All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.