Wonder Woman


Movies

51 to 100 of 418 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think Gal is doing fine in WW.

Also regarding Zeus as her father, I think it's more "Zeus uses God magic to make Diana live" rather than father another child with Hippolya.

Also I think the Rebirth stuff MIGHT give us clues as to her origin being changed...again!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

She can't fight, well that is why you use stunt doubles, but there are no acting doubles for those that can't act;)

Also I hope someone does a music video with footage from the new movie using the original theme song from the 70's Wonder Woman show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

...Are we actually going to have a plot for Wonder Woman? I mean, I'll be honest... I've always known that she was supposedly an important member of the DC Universe, but I've never actually figured out what she's really about. Something about... some kind of Greek Warrior who left her island and... came to... do... stuff? And she has an invisible jet, a lasso that forces people to tell the truth, and bullet-deflecting bracers as her main bits of gear?


Rednal,

She's a woman in a predominately male patriarchal world. Unlike the women she's been with, these women and the people around her aren't used to some of her ways of thinking. Especially as it relates to how women are treat versus how they should be.

To me, this movie's plot will be about Diana exploring her role as a protector of the weak and innocent in a world where it's not always clear who that is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So... social commentary on sexism. Gotcha.

*Rubs chin*

Actually, that plot you just described sounds like a pretty good movie. I'll give it a fair shot to prove itself, at least - it deserves that much, and I'll never learn what characters are about if I don't pay attention when they try to show me. XD


I hope the main villain is Ares. I hope the sequel has her fighting monsters from Greek myth.


Dragon,

I have feeling based on the woman in the mask that it's more likely Circe. But I could be wrong.

Red,

I really think you'll enjoy this take. I've read different versions of Wonder Woman. This one seems to do the best at keeping her core self.


9 people marked this as a favorite.
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.


I just wish I had a girlfriend to take to see this. :p :)

Scarab Sages

I'm debating on whether my then 5 y/o daughter will be OK to watch it at the theater. I know I have like a year ahead of me on this, but considering she is already a big monster movie fan, and was loving Starship Troopers when I was busy the other day and she wandered in from her playroom (is that star wars daddy?), I don't think the violence will be an issue. But by the time captain marvel comes out in 3 or so years, she'll be right in the target 8-12 demo that these superhero movies fill theaters with. And if it can stay far away from ubergrimdark (TM DC Comics) as this trailer implies, I think we'll be OK.


Uhm not sure about 5 year olds but 8-10 might be able to handle it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Given how much work on Wonder Woman was done before B vs S. release, I don't know if the trailer will be an accurate reflection of the movie or if the wonderwoman movie will be just as grim dark as B vs. S. You can easily cut a trailer to give any perspective you want on a movie.

Sovereign Court

It should really. If it wants to accurately portray the horrors of war.


Hama wrote:
It should really. If it wants to accurately portray the horrors of war.

Is "accurately portray the horrors of war" what we want from a super hero movie though?


thejeff wrote:
Hama wrote:
It should really. If it wants to accurately portray the horrors of war.
Is "accurately portray the horrors of war" what we want from a super hero movie though?

Speaking for myself only,..... no. Especially since the target market for superheroes is generally fairly young, and "the horrors of war" would almost certainly draw an NC-17 rating or it's nowhere close to "accurate."

I think Deadpool was the only successful superhero movie with an R rating, and that was largely due to sexual content, not over-the-top violence. I can't really see the Wonder Woman backers being so willing to write off the tweener moviegoers' money.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rednal wrote:
...Are we actually going to have a plot for Wonder Woman? I mean, I'll be honest... I've always known that she was supposedly an important member of the DC Universe, but I've never actually figured out what she's really about. Something about... some kind of Greek Warrior who left her island and... came to... do... stuff? And she has an invisible jet, a lasso that forces people to tell the truth, and bullet-deflecting bracers as her main bits of gear?

Wonder Woman is part of the Trinity of the Heroes most often described as the Gods of the DCU. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.

Ah. Your right, no one is forcing me to go see it. (because i won't)

Any chance i get to trash on this movie, i'll take it. I may not have the popular opinion, but i'm still allowed to express it.

Your also right on this; The truth is that the film is in no way meant for me. My biggest problem is that i like Wonder Woman, and wanted her portrayed accurate to the depiction in the Comics (as an Amazon Warrior) and my own personal head canon (based in amazonian Greek Myth). She will be the first Greek character in any comic cinematic universe that isn't an assassin, terrorist, goofy, or a villain. This movie was super important to me.

I also agree that its time we see a Female Lead in a Comic Movie, and Wonder Woman is iconic.

I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

Gal is a horrible fit for the role, and as much as others have attacked Gina's acting ability, Gal isn't winning Oscars any time soon on hers. (i only attack Gal on her choreography in Batman Vs Superman)

I would venture to say that Gina isn't a great actress, but certainly more believable than Gal when portraying an Action Role like this.


Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Rednal wrote:
...Are we actually going to have a plot for Wonder Woman? I mean, I'll be honest... I've always known that she was supposedly an important member of the DC Universe, but I've never actually figured out what she's really about. Something about... some kind of Greek Warrior who left her island and... came to... do... stuff? And she has an invisible jet, a lasso that forces people to tell the truth, and bullet-deflecting bracers as her main bits of gear?
Wonder Woman is part of the Trinity of the Heroes most often described as the Gods of the DCU. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

She's described and treated that way, but she's often had trouble sustaining the popularity of the other two. They've usually held multiple books, she's had trouble keeping one.

She's iconic, but not that popular, which is kind of weird.

Sovereign Court

thejeff wrote:
Hama wrote:
It should really. If it wants to accurately portray the horrors of war.
Is "accurately portray the horrors of war" what we want from a super hero movie though?

I'd love to see one. Yes.


ravenharm wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.

Ah. Your right, no one is forcing me to go see it. (because i won't)

Any chance i get to trash on this movie, i'll take it. I may not have the popular opinion, but i'm still allowed to express it.

Your also right on this; The truth is that the film is in no way meant for me. My biggest problem is that i like Wonder Woman, and wanted her portrayed accurate to the depiction in the Comics (as an Amazon Warrior) and my own personal head canon (based in amazonian Greek Myth). She will be the first Greek character in any comic cinematic universe that isn't an assassin, terrorist, goofy, or a villain. This movie was super important to me.

I also agree that its time we see a Female Lead in a Comic Movie, and Wonder Woman is iconic.

I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

Gal is a horrible fit for the role, and as much as others have attacked Gina's acting ability, Gal isn't winning Oscars any time soon on hers. (i only attack Gal on her choreography in Batman Vs Superman)

I would venture to say that Gina isn't a great actress, but certainly more believable than Gal when portraying an Action Role like this.

yes...let the hate flow through you...

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ravenharm wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.

Ah. Your right, no one is forcing me to go see it. (because i won't)

Any chance i get to trash on this movie, i'll take it. I may not have the popular opinion, but i'm still allowed to express it.

Your also right on this; The truth is that the film is in no way meant for me. My biggest problem is that i like Wonder Woman, and wanted her portrayed accurate to the depiction in the Comics (as an Amazon Warrior) and my own personal head canon (based in amazonian Greek Myth). She will be the first Greek character in any comic cinematic universe that isn't an assassin, terrorist, goofy, or a villain. This movie was super important to me.

I also agree that its time we see a Female Lead in a Comic Movie, and Wonder Woman is iconic.

I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

Gal is a horrible fit for the role, and as much as others have attacked Gina's acting ability, Gal isn't winning Oscars any time soon on hers. (i only attack Gal on her choreography in Batman Vs Superman)

I would venture to say that Gina isn't a great actress, but certainly more believable than Gal when portraying an Action Role like this.

So because you're butthurt the rest of us have to suffer through your b~@%#ing, even though the movie is not out yet and we literally don't know anything about it except that it is set in WW1 and she'll be killing some folks and wearing a blue dress for a while?


ravenharm wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.

Ah. Your right, no one is forcing me to go see it. (because i won't)

Any chance i get to trash on this movie, i'll take it. I may not have the popular opinion, but i'm still allowed to express it.

Your also right on this; The truth is that the film is in no way meant for me. My biggest problem is that i like Wonder Woman, and wanted her portrayed accurate to the depiction in the Comics (as an Amazon Warrior) and my own personal head canon (based in amazonian Greek Myth). She will be the first Greek character in any comic cinematic universe that isn't an assassin, terrorist, goofy, or a villain. This movie was super important to me.

I also agree that its time we see a Female Lead in a Comic Movie, and Wonder Woman is iconic.

I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

Gal is a horrible fit for the role, and as much as others have attacked Gina's acting ability, Gal isn't winning Oscars any time soon on hers. (i only attack Gal on her choreography in Batman Vs Superman)

I would venture to say that Gina isn't a great actress, but certainly more believable than Gal when portraying an Action Role like this.

Isn't the actress herself, properly Greek at least?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
i'm just going to say it again. not a fan. hope that film dies like fan4stic

Not all films, or superheroes, are beloved or enjoyed by all filmgoers. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to go see them.

But to hope the film fails just because you're "not a fan?" Maybe just accept that this film wasn't meant for you, and let those who are fans enjoy it? Me? I'm excited to finally see a woman lead in a solo superhero summer blockbuster. I wish I had young nieces or female cousins to take to it.

Ah. Your right, no one is forcing me to go see it. (because i won't)

Any chance i get to trash on this movie, i'll take it. I may not have the popular opinion, but i'm still allowed to express it.

Your also right on this; The truth is that the film is in no way meant for me. My biggest problem is that i like Wonder Woman, and wanted her portrayed accurate to the depiction in the Comics (as an Amazon Warrior) and my own personal head canon (based in amazonian Greek Myth). She will be the first Greek character in any comic cinematic universe that isn't an assassin, terrorist, goofy, or a villain. This movie was super important to me.

I also agree that its time we see a Female Lead in a Comic Movie, and Wonder Woman is iconic.

I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

Gal is a horrible fit for the role, and as much as others have attacked Gina's acting ability, Gal isn't winning Oscars any time soon on hers. (i only attack Gal on her choreography in Batman Vs Superman)

I would venture to say that Gina isn't a great actress, but certainly more believable than Gal when portraying an Action Role like this.

Isn't the actress herself, properly Greek at least?

She is israeli. Her real name is Gal Greenstein.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Wasn't Gina in Deadpool? She's monstrous. Not a good fit for WW.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Gal Gadot is ex military and a model for several Israeli magazines. I like her.


10 people marked this as a favorite.

I liked Gina Carano in Haywire and Deadpool, but neither movie relied on her ability to act. I think it's a lot easier to crash teach the right actress to believably hold her own onscreen in Hollywood-style action choreography than it is to teach a someone without the acting knack how to (or at least well enough to fake it). That isn't meant as a knock on Carano (or Ronda Rousey). Unlike most Hollywood fight & action choreography with strategic camera angles/setups and film cuts, Soderbergh filmed Carano in fairly authentic combat choreography for Haywire; she excels at it and it really makes the film work. But she just doesn't have the acting range of Gadot.

I'd like to see someone pull off the mythological physicality of an Amazon and still act competently, but such actresses are currently rare (Frankie Adams pic). I'd like to see a much wider range of body types for both women and men onscreen in superhero/action movies, but it's often easier for an actor to shatter that glass ceiling after previous actors have put cracks in it. And right now, the glass ceiling is even lower at just getting a solo superheroine movie.

As for Gadot not being muscular enough to play Wonder Woman, that's horsesh!t from a physics & biology standpoint. No human, woman or man, has a physique that accurately represents the massive physical strength and resilience of Diana. If Kal'El can derive his incredible strength from solar power without grotesquely massive muscles, then Diana can from being a magical being.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
If Kal'El can derive his incredible strength from solar power without grotesquely massive muscles, then Diana can from being a magical being.

THIS! Spot on!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
I'd like to see someone pull off the mythological physicality of an Amazon and still act competently, but such actresses are currently rare (Frankie Adams pic). I'd like to see a much wider range of body types for both women and men onscreen in superhero/action movies, but it's often easier for an actor to shatter that glass ceiling after previous actors have put cracks in it. And right now, the glass ceiling is even lower at just getting a solo superheroine movie.

But Bobbie's only a superhero when she's wearing her formal wear.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

*agrees with Ambrosia*

Diana doesn't need to be extremely well muscled, just well toned. Gal has that.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

In spades.


Krensky wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
I'd like to see someone pull off the mythological physicality of an Amazon and still act competently, but such actresses are currently rare (Frankie Adams pic). I'd like to see a much wider range of body types for both women and men onscreen in superhero/action movies, but it's often easier for an actor to shatter that glass ceiling after previous actors have put cracks in it. And right now, the glass ceiling is even lower at just getting a solo superheroine movie.
But Bobbie's only a superhero when she's wearing her formal wear.

I like Gal Gadot and think she is a very attractive woman, but damn I have been crushing so hard on Frankie Adams.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ravenharm wrote:
I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

This indicates you have little conception of how studios run these things.

If it fails to the degree you seem to hatefully hoping for, it will not "go to another director" who will then pick an actress you have less frothing hatred for.

It will be taken as a sign that the property "just isn't viable on its own."


Cole Deschain wrote:
ravenharm wrote:
I still hope the movie fails, but only in the sense for it to go to another director who can do the movie better, and pick an appropriate lead.

This indicates you have little conception of how studios run these things.

If it fails to the degree you seem to hatefully hoping for, it will not "go to another director" who will then pick an actress you have less frothing hatred for.

It will be taken as a sign that the property "just isn't viable on its own."

It wasn't a presumption, estimation, or foresight, it was simply a hope. More then likely the movie will do just fine. Gal already has a strong following as per SDCC shows. Most critics seemed to like it.

You are correct in that fact i have little experience with how studios run. These days though, i am unsure as to how well studios know how to run their own studios. If we are to reflect back to how MCU has done, well Marvel / Disney/ Paramount is unique to its successes and not a standard.

Liberty's Edge

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Krensky wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
I'd like to see someone pull off the mythological physicality of an Amazon and still act competently, but such actresses are currently rare (Frankie Adams pic). I'd like to see a much wider range of body types for both women and men onscreen in superhero/action movies, but it's often easier for an actor to shatter that glass ceiling after previous actors have put cracks in it. And right now, the glass ceiling is even lower at just getting a solo superheroine movie.
But Bobbie's only a superhero when she's wearing her formal wear.
I like Gal Gadot and think she is a very attractive woman, but damn I have been crushing so hard on Frankie Adams.

So... Mommy issues? ;)


Probably TMI about slaad issues:
Krensky wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Krensky wrote:
But Bobbie's only a superhero when she's wearing her formal wear.
I like Gal Gadot and think she is a very attractive woman, but damn I have been crushing so hard on Frankie Adams.
So... Mommy issues? ;)

Nah, Adams looks nothing like my mom or my family. I'm not sure I have a specific type, but I definitely like tall women, especially taller than me. And I seem to skew somewhat toward different ethnicities than my own (Pantone 51-8C: Ultra Honky). The Kiwi accent is a plus. She projects confidence, competence, and determination. And she looks like she could wrassle a bit. :)


thejeff wrote:
Hama wrote:
It should really. If it wants to accurately portray the horrors of war.
Is "accurately portray the horrors of war" what we want from a super hero movie though?

Okay, let's approach it from a different angle:

If it wants to faithfully portray the tone of classical Greek tragedies, it must be even more GrimDark than Dawn of Justice.
The follow-up question is:
Do we want a superhero movie nominally inspired by Greek Mythology to remain true in tone to the source material?
For me, personally, the answer to that question is "no." Sort of. I wouldn't mind Odyssey-levels of anti-heroism, but I'd also be fine with it being even lighter, and I'd prefer if it didn't go full-out Sophocles. At the end of the day, though, I don't really care about how "light" or "dark" it is: just tell a good story with interesting characters and I'll enjoy it. Tell a bland story with flat 1-dimensional characters and I won't.

Do we have any idea who the villain is going to be in this film? Does she have in obvious arch-nemesis in the comics that would be an obvious choice for a villain for this movie? If she is a demi-goddess and daughter of Zeus, the source material would suggest Hera as a natural antagonist. Does she have noteworthy foes in the comics that aren't taken form "real-world" myths?

As to the whole debate over her appearance, I don't see why she needs to look super-extra-beefy when she has divine super-strength. Does Arthur Curry look huge and completely muscle-bound? The origin of his super strength is far more "mundane" than WW's, but I don't see people complaining that he doesn't look buff enough.

Liberty's Edge

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
So you haven't read Caliban's War?

137ben wrote:

Okay, let's approach it from a different angle:

If it wants to faithfully portray the tone of classical Greek tragedies, it must be even more GrimDark than Dawn of Justice.
The follow-up question is:
Do we want a superhero movie nominally inspired by Greek Mythology to remain true in tone to the source material?
For me, personally, the answer to that question is "no." Sort of. I wouldn't mind Odyssey-levels of anti-heroism, but I'd also be fine with it being even lighter, and I'd prefer if it didn't go full-out Sophocles. At the end of the day, though, I don't really care about how "light" or "dark" it is: just tell a good story with interesting characters and I'll enjoy it. Tell a bland story with flat 1-dimensional characters and I won't.

Do we have any idea who the villain is going to be in this film? Does she have in obvious arch-nemesis in the comics that would be an obvious choice for a villain for this movie? If she is a demi-goddess and daughter of Zeus, the source material would suggest Hera as a natural antagonist. Does she have noteworthy foes in the comics that aren't taken form "real-world" myths?

Ares is her most common Olympian enemy, though she's fought many of them from time to time.

In older versions Hera wasn't her enemy, but then in older versions she wasn't the daughter of Zeus.

The Cheetah is a likely mortal villain. Circe would be another human, but mythological foe. If it's a WWI period piece, they might repurpose one of her WWII villains.


Krensky wrote:
Spoiler:
So you haven't read Caliban's War?

Spoiler:
Nope. When The Expanse was on TV, I heard everyone talking about Gunnery Sergeant Roberta "Bobbie" W. Draper, so I googled her. I got through the first 1/4 or so of the her wiki page, then immediately closed it because she sounded so badass and I want to be surprised. I heard the casting announcement, I've read that she'll be in the upcoming season (something about Martian Marines), and I've seen the season 2 trailer, but that's it so far.
Liberty's Edge

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Krensky wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Ah. Like the superhero and formal wear comment it's a refrence to that book. Bobbie avoids guys with a thing for big women because they "usually have unresolved mommy issues" that she doesn't want to deal with. Lack of them is part of why she begins a relationship with *coughing* much later in the series. It was an injoke, not an insult.
51 to 100 of 418 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Wonder Woman All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.