I like big swords and I cannot lie.


Advice


OK, so I know that carrying a sword that's only slightly smaller than the hulking brute who wields it isn't a good tactic. I know that it's not the best things for a martial, or at all optimized.

But sometimes, you just wanna make Cloud Strife weep bitter tears of envy.

So I feel like playing a character that can carry a large sized weapon. Now, I don't know who the poor, unsuspecting victim GM for this campaign will be, so I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to take the simplest route and either used a Half-Giant or a version of Monkey Grip from 3.5.

So instead, I suppose I'll have to use the Pathfinder options - the Titan Fighter who gets a -4 to hit and looses a point of that at third, and every 4 levels thereafter, and the Titan Mauler, who takes a whopping -6 to hit, but looses a point at third and every level after.

Ouch. That's a hell of a penalty for 1d6 damage.

So, would the following work - taking a level in Titan Fighter to get Giant Weapon Wielder, and then three more in Titan Mauler to get to Massive Weapon, and the -1 per three levels to using overzied weapons? In essence, would the reduction to the penalty from Massive Weapon work with the Titan Fighter's Giant Weapon Wielder, as with the Mauler? I'm not seeing any reason why it would only cover using itself, but...I'm not a full rules expert.

After that, I'm thinking of using a Oni-Spawn Tiefling with the Superior Clutch trait. Any other suggestions on race would be appreciated, as well as weapon, and feats for that matter. Power Attack might have to be a bit of a late starter on this one...


Large Bastard Sword... get the EWP proficiency and you can use it two handed... the way the iconic Barbarian went... for a mere -2 to hit.


Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Large Bastard Sword... get the EWP proficiency and you can use it two handed... the way the iconic Barbarian went... for a mere -2 to hit.

Wouldn't that only up it to 2d6 damage, making it kinda cool but basically a greatsword you'd have to spend a feat and take a -2 to hit with? Or does a bastard sword go up to 2d8?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

OR EWP (or an ioun stone) + effortless lace (iffy, technically the bastard sword is still a one-handed slashing weapon for a sufficiently large enough creature) + impacting enchantment = Gargantuan. Take away one of those and you can still hit huge legitimately.

1d10 => 2d8 or 2d6 depending on if you're using the FAQ. Each further increase adds in a die.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Bastard sword goes to 2d8


12 people marked this as a favorite.

You other Fighters can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty hilt
And a sharp thing in your face
You get stabbed~

Sir Crits-A-Lot - "Baby Got Snicker-Snack"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

And, of course, the Vital Strike line of feats are great here. The larger your weapon, the more benefit the feat chain provides, and the combination of oversized penalties and iterative decrement makes iterative attacks mostly useless. Better to stay mobile and still be able to smack people with a tower of dice.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Two levels of metal oracle will also add lead blades, which increases the damage dice of your weapon as though by one size category. Demon-spawn tiefling gets the Strength and Charisma bonus so you don't have to put any points into the latter.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
JonGarrett wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Large Bastard Sword... get the EWP proficiency and you can use it two handed... the way the iconic Barbarian went... for a mere -2 to hit.
Wouldn't that only up it to 2d6 damage, making it kinda cool but basically a greatsword you'd have to spend a feat and take a -2 to hit with? Or does a bastard sword go up to 2d8?

1d10 weapons are on a separate growth path.

DominusMegadeus wrote:

You other Fighters can't deny

That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty hilt
And a sharp thing in your face
You get stabbed~

Sir Crits-A-Lot - "Baby Got Snicker-Snack"

That (stabbing, crits a lot weapon) would be a large estoc, rather than a bastard sword, wouldn't it?

Or as it is known in the Demon's Souls community: The penetrator.


If you are cool with faking it, a telekineticist can take kinetic blade and "wield" anything they have enough strength to hold in one hand. So, if you're strong enough to hold a huge greatsword in one hand, you can wreck faces with it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you don't mind being race-locked, you can go with a Tiefling. Either ask really nicely with a chocolate offer to use option 16 of the variant Tiefling ability table.

"You have over-sized limbs, allowing you to use Large weapons without penalty."

Or you can bite the bullet and pay for the feat to gain the ability the hard way.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
lemeres wrote:
Or as it is known in the Demon's Souls community: The penetrator.

And to Fat Ministers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Green Smashomancer wrote:

If you don't mind being race-locked, you can go with a Tiefling. Either ask really nicely with a chocolate offer to use option 16 of the variant Tiefling ability table.

"You have over-sized limbs, allowing you to use Large weapons without penalty."

Or you can bite the bullet and pay for the feat to gain the ability the hard way.

Heya boss.

Well, bribery online is awkward (I still haven't managed to bribe Owen Stephens with booze) and most of my IRL GM's are immune to such low level bribery (one's my best friend and the others my wife) so I suppose the feat is an idea, but I was under the impression that taking an item was a roll on the table, or if you had the feat three rolls and choose the best?

Melkiador wrote:
If you are cool with faking it, a telekineticist can take kinetic blade and "wield" anything they have enough strength to hold in one hand. So, if you're strong enough to hold a huge greatsword in one hand, you can wreck faces with it.

Sounds potentially doable, I'll take a look.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
lemeres wrote:
JonGarrett wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Large Bastard Sword... get the EWP proficiency and you can use it two handed... the way the iconic Barbarian went... for a mere -2 to hit.
Wouldn't that only up it to 2d6 damage, making it kinda cool but basically a greatsword you'd have to spend a feat and take a -2 to hit with? Or does a bastard sword go up to 2d8?

1d10 weapons are on a separate growth path.

DominusMegadeus wrote:

You other Fighters can't deny

That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty hilt
And a sharp thing in your face
You get stabbed~

Sir Crits-A-Lot - "Baby Got Snicker-Snack"

That (stabbing, crits a lot weapon) would be a large estoc, rather than a bastard sword, wouldn't it?

Or as it is known in the Demon's Souls community: The penetrator.

The Bestoc, proving that Pocus is truly the strongest combat style there is.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Or as it is known in the Demon's Souls community: The penetrator.
And to Fat Ministers.

+2 to crit confirmation rolls against overweight clerics.

Also, remember to steal one of the clerics' hats for a +10 disguise check in castle jails.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was expecting something more phallic and maybe one or two gladius related jokes in here... And now I'm sad.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The Giant-Blooded Trait should be helpful if you want to play such a character in the (thematically-appropriate) Giantslayer Adventure Path.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
lemeres wrote:
Rysky wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Or as it is known in the Demon's Souls community: The penetrator.
And to Fat Ministers.

+2 to crit confirmation rolls against overweight clerics.

Also, remember to steal one of the clerics' hats for a +10 disguise check in castle jails.

Poor Yuria ;_;


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rub-Eta wrote:
I was expecting something more phallic and maybe one or two gladius related jokes in here... And now I'm sad.

I'll try and make sure there's some Armoured Kilt innuendo for your viewing pleasure somewhere.

Ventnor wrote:
The Giant-Blooded Trait should be helpful if you want to play such a character in the (thematically-appropriate) Giantslayer Adventure Path.

Oh, that is useful, yes.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Johnnycat93 wrote:
OR EWP (or an ioun stone) + effortless lace (iffy, technically the bastard sword is still a one-handed slashing weapon for a sufficiently large enough creature) + impacting enchantment = Gargantuan. Take away one of those and you can still hit huge legitimately.
Effortless Lace wrote:
If the weapon is wielded by a creature whose size matches that of the weapon's intended wielder [...]


That giant blooded trait and varient tiefling thing dont actually allow you to wield big weapons.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CWheezy wrote:
That giant blooded trait and varient tiefling thing dont actually allow you to wield big weapons.

I don't how you can parse 'can wield large weapons without penalty' as not being able to wield large weapons.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

How to make Gutz.


swoosh wrote:
CWheezy wrote:
That giant blooded trait and varient tiefling thing dont actually allow you to wield big weapons.
I don't how you can parse 'can wield large weapons without penalty' as not being able to wield large weapons.

Can u explain the penalty for bob the vanilla fighter trying to wield a large greatsword?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CWheezy wrote:
swoosh wrote:
CWheezy wrote:
That giant blooded trait and varient tiefling thing dont actually allow you to wield big weapons.
I don't how you can parse 'can wield large weapons without penalty' as not being able to wield large weapons.
Can u explain the penalty for bob the vanilla fighter trying to wield a large greatsword?

Medium creatures can some wield large weapons, just not all large weapons.

Large 'one handed' weapons are 'effectively' medium two handed weapons at -2 to hit.

Large 'light' weapons are 'effectively' medium one handed weapons at -2 to hit.

I believe those abilities take away the -2 to hit but do not alter the weapons relative sizes or the hands needed to use them. Hence large weapons at no penalty.

It does not say Large weapon at no penalty and no size differential.

In the core rules Bob the vanilla fighter cannot wield a large greatsword as it is physically too unwieldy to possibly do so because it is a large 2 handed weapon. But Bob can use a large longsword as an effectively medium two handed weapon or a large short sword as an effectively medium one handed weapon, both at -2 on attacks.

As to the original posters request, the only time I have seen a medium creature able to use large, 2 handed weapons without penalty have been the Goliaths and Half Giants from 3.5. Their powerful build ability allows such and that conclusion is also backed up by the stat blocks for NPC's and example characters of those races in each of the supplements they are printed in.

I am unsure if there are such for Pathfinder but I think there is a 3rd party Psionics product for Pathfinder that has 1/2 giants with powerful build and the wording is identical to 3.5 from what I have seen on the boards.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you do go Vital strike, make sure to pick up the Furious Finish feat as well. That thing maxes out all your damage dice, including those from flaming enchant and whatnot :)

Big sword. Big numbers. MAXIMUM DAMAGE!
Imagine the crit \^_^/


Hi gilfas. Im glad you agree with my original point of not being able to wield big weapons with the named traits.

You can wield like, a huge aklys or something but that seems obviously not the point if you want to make guts.

Tbh its very strange the aversion to big weapons from the paizo devs. Druids get big dice why not fighters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Half-elf hunter (divine hunter, Plant/Growth domain); take the Ancestral Arms alternate racial trait to pick up bastard sword proficiency. Take lead blades as one of your 1st-level spells known and gain enlarge person as both a domain spell and a swift action SLA at 3rd level. Use a large bastard sword: 2d8 -> 3d8 with lead blades -> 4d8 with enlarge person and lead blades.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cleric's and Warpriests and inquisitors of Gorum get Lead Blades as a 3rd level spell...that means you can use cheap ass first level wands.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / I like big swords and I cannot lie. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.