Ship repair


Advice


So I was looking at core spells that fix things and we have mending and make whole. As far as I can tell, neither would be able to fix a ship due to their limitations of 1 lb per level and 10 cubic feet per level respectively.

Specifically regarding make whole, would the cubic feet be taken from the overall size or specifically the material contained? Like a ship has a lot of empty space for people and cargo. How would you figure out the cubic footage of the ship for a spell like this? Would it be simply multiplying the dimensions of the ship or would you exclude the empty space? Excluding the empty space seems like a lot more math, but would possibly make a small ship fall within the spell's effect if the wizard is high enough level.

That said, is there already a spell out there specialized for ship repairs or would I have to home brew one?


A lot of spells vs ships in this link: Spell Effects in Naval Combat: ...

... Make Whole: This spell affects a ship as if it were a construct.

Make whole says in part "This spell functions as mending, except that it repairs 1d6 points of damage per level when cast on an object or construct creature (maximum 5d6)."

Edit: the cubic feet thing should be ignored regarding ships now.


LordBiBo wrote:

So I was looking at core spells that fix things and we have mending and make whole. As far as I can tell, neither would be able to fix a ship due to their limitations of 1 lb per level and 10 cubic feet per level respectively.

Specifically regarding make whole, would the cubic feet be taken from the overall size or specifically the material contained? Like a ship has a lot of empty space for people and cargo. How would you figure out the cubic footage of the ship for a spell like this? Would it be simply multiplying the dimensions of the ship or would you exclude the empty space? Excluding the empty space seems like a lot more math, but would possibly make a small ship fall within the spell's effect if the wizard is high enough level.

That said, is there already a spell out there specialized for ship repairs or would I have to home brew one?

Ships are INCREDIBLY difficult to destroy with the Pathfinder rule set. You need to have basically scores of catapults to do anything significant to them. They're really more set pieces which get your characters into melee range.


Akkurscid wrote:

A lot of spells vs ships in this link: Spell Effects in Naval Combat: ...

... Make Whole: This spell affects a ship as if it were a construct.

Make whole says in part "This spell functions as mending, except that it repairs 1d6 points of damage per level when cast on an object or construct creature (maximum 5d6)."

Edit: the cubic feet thing should be ignored regarding ships now.

Oooh! Thanks! The link of spells is really useful.


MeanMutton wrote:
LordBiBo wrote:

So I was looking at core spells that fix things and we have mending and make whole. As far as I can tell, neither would be able to fix a ship due to their limitations of 1 lb per level and 10 cubic feet per level respectively.

Specifically regarding make whole, would the cubic feet be taken from the overall size or specifically the material contained? Like a ship has a lot of empty space for people and cargo. How would you figure out the cubic footage of the ship for a spell like this? Would it be simply multiplying the dimensions of the ship or would you exclude the empty space? Excluding the empty space seems like a lot more math, but would possibly make a small ship fall within the spell's effect if the wizard is high enough level.

That said, is there already a spell out there specialized for ship repairs or would I have to home brew one?

Ships are INCREDIBLY difficult to destroy with the Pathfinder rule set. You need to have basically scores of catapults to do anything significant to them. They're really more set pieces which get your characters into melee range.

There have been a variety of things that have damaged the ship over time, and gone unrepaired like they have, it has added up. So was looking into options for the players for repairs.


Greater Make Whole tops out at 10d6+10.
A Lyre of Building can protect a ship 1/day for 30 minutes. If the GM is willing, it can also repair/build ships.

/cevah

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Ship repair All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.