What do you hope to see?


General Discussion

101 to 150 of 302 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

A lot less human focused worlds, Just because they removed Golarion doesn't mean that humans are now common place on many of the other planets.

Bioenhancements, cybernetics, genetic engineering, mutant powers, etc.


Dragonchess Player wrote:
Starfox wrote:

I still want a humanocentric setting. It is just too much work to figure out how a society built on another race would work.

Dragonchess Player wrote:
3) Cheap technology and CR adjustments reflecting it. The biggest obstacle I've found in running a space campaign is that the costs in the Technology guide are too high for normal wealth by level and still having a distinct technological feel at first level. I've had to make price adjustments and CR adjustments to compensate and I hope Starfinder does too. I suspect this is one of the main reasons why this is a separate RPG line, since if the classes have the same power level then cheap technology would significantly boost their strength.
The easy way to do this is trough inflation. Base wealth levels are simply MUCH higher. So you can either get a +1 enchantment or a new laser scope for your 2000 credits, both being cheap options in the grand scheme of things. Yes this ups the power level.

You were quoting Malwing, not me.

Although an expansion on technology being cheaper, like the Firearms in Your Campaign section in Ultimate Combat, in a high-tech environment would be useful. If technology is cheap (i.e., 25% or even 10% of the market price listed in the Technology Guide), but magic is still as expensive as in the Core Rules, that could change the balance between the two drastically, without changing the "power level" of either.

I'd especially like a discussion on how different technology is either less or more expensive depending on the advancement level in that field. For example, having races specialize in different technologies (using Core races and the Technology Guide as a basis): dwarves specializing in material technology and robotics (possibly including cybertech), elves specializing in bio-tech and pharmaceuticals, gnomes specializing in gravity manipulation, halflings specializing in nanotech, humans...

I like that idea and it'd be pretty simple for the GM to do that. If a civilization is known for thier gravity tech, then their gravity guns would be a different price than elsewhere.


In my current game technology is 10% of the listed price and psionics are 50%. So far its working out but I have to be careful to not go overboard with single monsters. They are mostly glass cannons because most of them ignored defenses and healing, But then again the same thing happened when I had a party of squshy full casters. One barbarian nearly one shot the whole group.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think it might be a good idea if they codified "laws of magic" upfront. Clearly state what magic can and cannot do. And adhere to that when designing all the normal spells and magical abilities.

Do the same for technology. Make sure there's some overlap (stuff you can do one way or the other) and that there's also stuff the other side can't do or does way better. Somewhat like the split between divine and arcane magic, but more explicitly set up.

If it's done right from the start, I think it can save a lot of heartache about magic (or technology) outclassing other player options, because you'll have delineated what it can't do.


This is just marketing stuff, but I'd like to see a Reaper produced line of iconic minis, 'cause, y'know, c'mon. I also would far prefer Paizo holding back on Paizo funded starship scale minis until we know how well the system takes. Ship counters worked great for Skull & Shackles! :)


I'd like my Oracle of the Heavens I built for Pathfinder in SPPAAAAACE Pbps to still be a valid build. Or at least easily achievable.

Seriously. I want the Guiding Star Revelation back!

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.

This might be out there, but what I'd like to see.

A Dou Bral redeemed.

Maybe even with Shelyn gone from the 'recognized' pantheons. With the dominion of the black out there, I'd love to see a 'good guy' win in the backstory, even if it was unclear if Shelyn redeemed him and then left with Golarion, or if died trying.


Waterhammer wrote:

Being able to play on 'Future Golarion', or that Golarion was destroyed by Rovagug bursting free appeal to me far more than the idea that the planet is hidden by the gods.

Especially the 'devastated by Rovagug' idea. I'm picturing a planet with a giant hole in it's side, still partially habitable. You could run Thundar the Barbarian, type games there.

This would sort out the problems with parts of Golarion they have not revealed yet; conveniently Rovagug left just the areas we are familiar with from the current setting. :)


A lawful portion of the universe, filled with opposing trans-stellar empires so that high-stakes intrigue is available.

A chaotic back-water of the universe, where having enough fuel is a serious uncertainty.

A setup that presents more "destructive" weapons capable of chewing through the blast doors without making the game more rocket-tagy.

Space Fey - including a few massive representatives of the universe on a larger scale... I expect the stars to have spiritual avatars.

Divine Spell-Casting / "Good-Evil" Outsiders to take a back seat, while positive and negative energy remain in the foreground.

A minimum of "terrestrial" creatures: I can re-flavor most magical beasts and giant vermin well enough on my own, thanks.

And yet... a quick-build system that will allow me to quickly modify existing monsters so that I can have "Giant Wasp-like creatures" from three separate star-systems that each bring something new to the table (beyond simple aesthetics).

Multiple ways to run ship-to-ship encounters, or else a system that's robust enough to handle multiple different kinds of encounters without slowing the game down significantly. I should be able to run TIE vs. X-Wing dogfights, Enterprise vs. 2 Birds of Prey, and even racing through the collapsing Death Star to the shuttle bay without needing to house-rule to keep things running smoothly. Or at least, one can hope.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TheMan72344 wrote:
I'm just hoping the rules and the setting are separate products lines, like they are now for the rpg and Golarian. I never really got into Golarian, so I'm more interested in this as a rules set.

I think then, you're heading for a reef of disappointment. I think at the initial release, it's going to be one product that's both.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.

While it seems appealing to have a lot of different species (similar to the Star Wars universe), I would actually prefer to see a stronger focus on different cultures and social backgrounds. In Pathfinder, racial traits are a mix of physical, cultural, and social traits, which leads to powerful racial stereotypes. If Starfinder allows for things to be done differently, I would like for characters to have a species (physical traits like senses, speed, size), culture/ethnicity (weapon proficiencies, starting languages), and social background (skill bonuses, starting equipment/wealth). That makes characters immediately less onedimensional. While not specific to Starfinder, I think it would make sense especially for a multicultural setting where a lot of different people live crowded together.


Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
TheMan72344 wrote:
I'm just hoping the rules and the setting are separate products lines, like they are now for the rpg and Golarian. I never really got into Golarian, so I'm more interested in this as a rules set.
I think then, you're heading for a reef of disappointment. I think at the initial release, it's going to be one product that's both.

Yeah I'm a bit sad about it too. I hope it's a temporary thing. It looks like they're consolidating in case it's a flop. For me I feel like Pathfinder has too many lines and could have used some consolidating instead. Hardcovers for setting neutral and I could really stand for them to kill the Player Companion line and merge it with the Campaign setting line, because the Player Companion line has always been shaky about setting neutral. Could replace it with a small softcover Starfinder Campaign Setting line. I really hope that that ship hasn't sailed yet.

In regards to setting information being in the Starfinder Core rulebook, I wish they didn't. I really like Pathfinder for having setting neutral hardcovers but I'm more concerned about page space. Starfinder already has a lot to do, no need to bog it down with fluff when a campaign setting book would do the same job without shoving setting assumptions down our throats.

Silver Crusade

Let's face it the player companion line is "fluff". I rarely find anything useful in them now


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I hope to see:

  • Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
  • C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
  • Tears in the rain.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Malwing wrote:
Hardcovers for setting neutral and I could really stand for them to kill the Player Companion line and merge it with the Campaign setting line, because the Player Companion line has always been shaky about setting neutral.

The Player Companion line has never been intended to be setting neutral.

Danubus wrote:

Let's face it the player companion line is "fluff". I rarely find anything useful in them now

The Weapon Master's Handbook alone makes that statement almost laughable...

Sovereign Court

I'm hoping for more outrageous tech than in the Technology Guide. I like the simplicity of the rules in the TG, but the actual items just seemed too "sensible" to me. Guns, sure, but where are my cybernetically strengthened jaws, raptor legs, sharkskin and so forth?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
shadram wrote:

I hope to see:

  • Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
  • C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
  • Tears in the rain.

Don't know, I don't know such stuff. I just do eyes, ju-, ju-, just eyes... just genetic design, just eyes. You NuOrc, huh? I design your eyes.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Morris wrote:

This might be out there, but what I'd like to see.

A Dou Bral redeemed.

Maybe even with Shelyn gone from the 'recognized' pantheons. With the dominion of the black out there, I'd love to see a 'good guy' win in the backstory, even if it was unclear if Shelyn redeemed him and then left with Golarion, or if died trying.

It would be sort of cool if Dou Bral is redeemed, but Sheylyn is now dark and corrupted, having sacrificed herself to redeem him.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

I'd like to see a playable race of oozes and/or gaseous creatures.

I'd also like to see flumphs, it's the perfect setting to see more of them.


Ascalaphus wrote:
I'm hoping for more outrageous tech than in the Technology Guide. I like the simplicity of the rules in the TG, but the actual items just seemed too "sensible" to me. Guns, sure, but where are my cybernetically strengthened jaws, raptor legs, sharkskin and so forth?

At least one of the PaizoCon slidshow photos for the Horror Adventures hardcover listed two pages of fleshcraft/bioware items, so maybe the Starfinder hardcover will just reference them with any modifications for price/availability/illegality?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

I'd also like the fist expansion of products for Starfinder beyond APs to be a fiction line. I'm much more interested in setting the tone through immersive fiction before expanding the rules/player's companion type lines. I'm very happy with a slower release rate of RPG products for Starfinder.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I want arcane magic to be the most prevalent, with Skald-esque punk rockers, sorcerers created through genetic modification, and wizardry being ridiculously more common since it's science (witches would probably be ridiculously rare or completely gone).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd like to see the Hellknights survive, shifting to a much more LN bent, as a (inter?)galactic policeforce, sorta a mix of Peacekeepers and Judges.


I hope Shelyn and Desna are still around with the same alignment and domains. I don't really care what they do with rest though I will miss Rovagug.


Milo v3 wrote:
I want arcane magic to be the most prevalent, with Skald-esque punk rockers, sorcerers created through genetic modification, and wizardry being ridiculously more common since it's science (witches would probably be ridiculously rare or completely gone).

I want the opposite. We have people complaining about god wizards in the fantasy setting as is; lets not replicate that problem in Starfinder as well. Let Tech and other types of magic get their chance to shine in the sun.

Liberty's Edge

Milo v3 wrote:
I want arcane magic to be the most prevalent, with Skald-esque punk rockers, sorcerers created through genetic modification, and wizardry being ridiculously more common since it's science (witches would probably be ridiculously rare or completely gone).

This, very much this.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Amanuensis wrote:
While it seems appealing to have a lot of different species (similar to the Star Wars universe), I would actually prefer to see a stronger focus on different cultures and social backgrounds. In Pathfinder, racial traits are a mix of physical, cultural, and social traits, which leads to powerful racial stereotypes. If Starfinder allows for things to be done differently, I would like for characters to have a species (physical traits like senses, speed, size), culture/ethnicity (weapon proficiencies, starting languages), and social background (skill bonuses, starting equipment/wealth). That makes characters immediately less onedimensional. While not specific to Starfinder, I think it would make sense especially for a multicultural setting where a lot of different people live crowded together.

That would be interesting, though to some extent, the current system does allow for such modifications with alternate racial traits filling in for both alternate physical traits and culture/ethnicity, and the trait system for a social background. So a more conservative approach could be to divide racial traits into physical/cultural, and include alternate racial traits for various common cultures, and make the trait system a fundamental part of character creation instead of being alternate.

I would also like alternate physical racial traits, though, given that this is a future, allowing for some degree of body modification, whether stemming from genemodding, cybernetics, mutations, mixed ancestry, etc. Though that's something else I would like being nailed down...who can breed with whom, when it comes to aliens? Is it common, or almost unheard of, with only certain combinations being feasible...or perhaps requiring extensive magical or technological assistance, such offspring perhaps being entirely artificially created?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just a few random thoughts from me mostly on taking stuff from Unchained and putting it to work here.

Have the loyalty system replace alignment.

Automatic Progression for magic as per Unchained.

Keep the magic as a way of adapting classes from Pathfinder to Starfinder

Add Space/Void to the list of choices of favored terrains for rangers.

Consolidated or Group Skills as per Unchained.


I'd really like aliens with alternative biochemistries. Ammonia and silicone bases life would be interesting to see.


Another call for ruleset rather than Campaign Setting. Not interested in Golarion's fate or attached universe.

But it seems unlikely.

We can always just strip out what we need, though how much that will leave of 500 pages will be the rub....


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I want to see mutations and mutants and radiation.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

The flavor and background material is what I'm becoming most curious about. That's what drew me to Paizo initially (plus it's what kept me buying Shadowrun for thirty years, despite only ever playing one session).

I don't really know what I want. But I didnt realise it included ratfolk techies until now, so I'm sure they'll think of more cool stuff I want. :)


MMCJawa wrote:

I want new weird races that are not simply Gnomes in space. Give us genuinely alien looking races that wouldn't seem odd showing up in Star Wars. I would say limit the core races from Pathfinder to Humans and maybe one other race in the setting (elves?)

Alien (in mindset) races have always been my favorite characters to play.

My Sky-Priest from a Triaxus based module (And Madness Followed, IIRC) was great fun, and just complete flavor-wise I love the space-faring version of the Thri-Kreen from Spelljammer. The ones that basically hold body modification as a sacred right so all of them look completely different.


Moar dark tapestry stuffs plox.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I alluded to this elsewhere, but I want to see Mengkare emerge from a thousands of years hibernation to buy Space-Konstruction Inc. (S-K for short), the premier heavy industry megacorporation, and serve as its CEO and implement his benign corporate growth plans.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't want to see trappings of cyberpunk - no Megacorps that replace governments (the occasional megacorp is fine), no real netrunning. Cybernetics is fine in and of itself. I'd liek to avoid transumism mostly. very little Mythos/Darkness between starts, unless a well armed battleship can take out one of the old ones.

Basically a hopeful setting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can agree on the megacorps, at least for some nations. I really like transhuman stuff though. I love the idea of uploading consciousnesses and the ramifications of that, especially for what it does to one's soul if they become digitized. I'll admit, it would be a bit of a logistic nightmare if you could implant yourself into another biological body. Do you get the stats of that body? How do you balance it, if even? If the body can cast magic, do you suddenly cast magic? Do you lose some class features, all, or keep them? Maybe for sleeving, it would be confined to being downloaded into robots, androids, and cyborgs.


There are already possession rules that are pretty on point for that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At least one cult that worship science and technology instead of gods.

A group who collects magic items because of the novelty. Maybe they are very rich and bored with mundane tech. Maybe they are just obsessed with myths and legends.


Lord Mhoram wrote:

I don't want to see trappings of cyberpunk - no Megacorps that replace governments (the occasional megacorp is fine), no real netrunning. Cybernetics is fine in and of itself. I'd liek to avoid transumism mostly. very little Mythos/Darkness between starts, unless a well armed battleship can take out one of the old ones.

Basically a hopeful setting.

I don't want all megacorps all the time but one planet or section of space that was largely run by them would be nice. Basically I want as far as setting design goes, something like the kitchen sink of Golarion, where if you want to run one type of adventure, there is some nation/region well suited for you.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

The regions accessible via AI-empowered-hyperspace could well answer that 'kitchen sink' need. If you want a system dominated by megacorporations, you can allow travel there. If you don't like it - there's no need to even mention it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cyberpunk is fine, but my preference for this is Space Opera.


A Cosmic Horror that physically fail at the Horror part, but when he/she/it starts asking if something or someone is edible...

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Gundams. Don't even rename them, just a gundam using class.


Slithery D wrote:
There are already possession rules that are pretty on point for that.

True, but the bookkeeping on that would be a bit daunting. Especially if players want to begin collecting bodies to resleeve into. Still, if they can do it, I'd be very happy.


MMCJawa wrote:
Lord Mhoram wrote:

I don't want to see trappings of cyberpunk - no Megacorps that replace governments (the occasional megacorp is fine), no real netrunning. Cybernetics is fine in and of itself. I'd liek to avoid transumism mostly. very little Mythos/Darkness between starts, unless a well armed battleship can take out one of the old ones.

Basically a hopeful setting.

I don't want all megacorps all the time but one planet or section of space that was largely run by them would be nice. Basically I want as far as setting design goes, something like the kitchen sink of Golarion, where if you want to run one type of adventure, there is some nation/region well suited for you.

Yeah. That was what I was trying to get at. Megacorps in areas, but not dominating and hanging over everything. Babylon 5 (my favorite SF) had a couple of megacorps, but we still had Earthgov and such.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

- starships and starship combat rules (d20 star wars was pretty good; starfinder can do better)
- best pilots be non-magic types (a-la-scout class from d20 star wars)
- full compatibility with regular pathfinder classes (i.e. drop a random cleric or fighter in the setting, and that character would be balanced with the starfinder ones)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N. Jolly wrote:
Gundams. Don't even rename them, just a gundam using class.

* Gundam (Gundam)

* Variable Fighters / Valkyries (Macross), Hell, the Macross themselve make cool starships.
* Para-Mail, Ragna-Mail, Ryuu-Shin-Ki (Cross Ange).
* etc...

- - - - -

some nods to /parody of the Fallout series...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steve Geddes wrote:
The regions accessible via AI-empowered-hyperspace could well answer that 'kitchen sink' need. If you want a system dominated by megacorporations, you can allow travel there. If you don't like it - there's no need to even mention it.

I agree with this. If Golarion is any indication then the whole solar system will likely be a series of compartmentalizations featuring whatever subtrope of space fantasy you can think of.


Non humanoid shaped races, including PC ones.

101 to 150 of 302 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / What do you hope to see? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.