Replacement for Staff of the Masters


Advice


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

With the latest Jeff, I'm trading in my staff of the masters. I'll have about 77k gold to spend. I'm level 13.2 and will be playing in the new seeker series.

Current magic items: ectoplasmic metamagic rod (lesser)APG, elemental metamagic rod (lesser, acid)APG, selective metamagic rod (lesser)APG, aegis of recoveryUE, belt of physical might +2 (Dex, Con), bracers of armor +4, cloak of resistance +5, cracked dark blue rhomboid ioun stone, cracked deep red sphere ioun stone, cracked dusty rose prism ioun stone, dweomer's essence, first aid gloves, handy haversack, headband of mental prowess +4 (Int, Cha), page of spell knowledge (mirror image)UE, ring of protection +2, ring of spell knowledge i (snowball)UE, robe of arcane heritageAPG.


With the Jingasa gone as well, and since you have the funds available, I would suggest picking up this item

Khepresh of Refuge

3 times per day negate a sneak attack, critical hit, or failed saving throw. The best value here in my opinion is the reroll. Almost every other ability you can find (including the pfs reroll) only allows you to use them before the result is known, this one lets you do it after, and up to 3 times a day.


I don't quite get what was happening.

Were people using the staff to pile on multiple metamagic feats on a spell, or feats they did not know? My beef with it was that Paizo only came out with one staff and I never used it because I didn't run arcane necromancers.


I don't believe you're allowed to invest that % of your wealth into one item for PFS, but I may be in error.

If they'd just take out the deflection bonus to AC and fire resistance...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

The reading of the original item allowed you to use charges for metas instead of increasing the spells level. The caster still had to have the feat but it wouldn't take up higher spell slot


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Das Bier wrote:

I don't believe you're allowed to invest that % of your wealth into one item for PFS, but I may be in error.

If they'd just take out the deflection bonus to AC and fire resistance...

I have 74 fame. That allows me to purchase items valued at 157,500.

Edit: Im an aasimar dragonic (red) sorc so the fire resist doesn't do me any good. And if I'm getting hit then I'm playing my sorc wrong (blur+mirror image gives me good defense). I'm looking for an item or items more in terms of offensive power.


Separate rule. What level are you? Are you allowed to purchase an item worth 75%+ of your WBL?


Das Bier wrote:

Separate rule. What level are you? Are you allowed to purchase an item worth 75%+ of your WBL?

He stated in the OP that he is level 13.2, at average WBL values in pfs, this would be well less than 50%


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I'm level 13.2.


Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:

I don't quite get what was happening.

Were people using the staff to pile on multiple metamagic feats on a spell, or feats they did not know? My beef with it was that Paizo only came out with one staff and I never used it because I didn't run arcane necromancers.

They were using it on the spells they cast, any spell that they cast. The errata limits the application of metamagic feats to just those spells cast from the staff.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:

I don't quite get what was happening.

Were people using the staff to pile on multiple metamagic feats on a spell, or feats they did not know? My beef with it was that Paizo only came out with one staff and I never used it because I didn't run arcane necromancers.

They were using it on the spells they cast, any spell that they cast. The errata limits the application of metamagic feats to just those spells cast from the staff.

Which is very limited and not worth 30k.

• Ray of enfeeblement (1 charge)
• Spectral hand (1 charge)
• Vampiric touch (2 charges)


Duncan7291 wrote:
I'm looking for an item or items more in terms of offensive power.

To better help, what kind of sorcerer are you playing? When you are going offensive, you are casting charms and dominations? Summons and battlefield control? Blasting? I am thinking from your bloodline (draconic) that you are a blaster, but more info would help.


Off the top of my head, if you are blasting, the best thing would be a lesser metamagic rod of quicken. Extra fireballs are always fun, or hasting the party with your swift while you cast a blast with your standard.


Jayder22 wrote:
Off the top of my head, if you are blasting, the best thing would be a lesser metamagic rod of quicken. Extra fireballs are always fun, or hasting the party with your swift while you cast a blast with your standard.

Standard Metamagic Rod. Empowered Fireballs quickened are MUCH more useful then normal fireballs.


Hmm, PFS doesn't use normal WBL tables. For a level 13 character, wbl should be 140k, and you can buy a single item worth more then that?

Oh, and 74 fame actually lets up buy an item up to 205k!

I thought they had a rule about no item being able to cost more then 30% or something of your wealth. Must be an old rule. Ah well.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Current metamagic feats I possess: quicken, empower and toppling (magical lineage magic missile toppling low level fun)

Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 13th; concentration +21)
6th (5/day)—major curseUM (DC 24), disintegrate (DC 24), form of the dragon I
5th (7/day)—baleful polymorph (DC 23), spell resistance, communal stoneskinUC, wall of force
4th (8/day)—black tentacles, dimension door, enervation, fear (DC 22), greater invisibility
3rd (8/day)—dispel magic, fireball (DC 21), fly, haste, lightning bolt (DC 21)
2nd (8/day)—false life, flurry of snowballs (DC 20), glitterdust (DC 20), invisibility, mirror image, resist energy, scorching ray
1st (8/day)—burning hands (DC 19), grease, mage armor, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement (DC 19), shield, snowball (DC 19)
0 (at will)—daze (DC 18), detect magic, detect poison, ghost sound (DC 18), light, mage hand, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic


Can you retrain magical lineage to Fireball, and Toppeling to Maximize or Energize?

You should probably have Feather fall in your Spells Known...


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Das Bier wrote:

Can you retrain magical lineage to Fireball, and Toppeling to Maximize or Energize?

You should probably have Feather fall in your Spells Known...

I have natural wings from dragonic bloodline power. No need for feather fall. I could retrain but probably expensive and can't remember if you can retrain mid level in PFS. With the Staff of Masters, The expense of retraining wasn't worth it. Now, it could be. Just another frustrating aspect of nerf as without the staff I probably would had retrained at lower. Level and lesser cost.

Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Duncan7291 wrote:
Das Bier wrote:

Can you retrain magical lineage to Fireball, and Toppeling to Maximize or Energize?

You should probably have Feather fall in your Spells Known...

I have natural wings from dragonic bloodline power. No need for feather fall. I could retrain but probably expensive and can't remember if you can retrain mid level in PFS. With the Staff of Masters, The expense of retraining wasn't worth it. Now, it could be. Just another frustrating aspect of nerf as without the staff I probably would had retrained at lower. Level and lesser cost.

That's part of the reason there's a special consideration for staff of the master enthusiasts who might not have otherwise wanted to take metamagic feats.

Also yes, you can retrain mid-level. Unfortunately, there's been very little trait retraining, historically speaking.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

/hugs for John. Got any suggestions on how to spend my now 77k in gold to bolster my offense?


Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets one Medium or smaller free-falling object or creature/level, no two of which may be more than 20 ft. apart
Duration until landing or 1 round/level
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (object); Spell Resistance yes (object)

Feather Fall is an immediate action you can use to cast on others, not just for yourself. And you can cast on objects, regardless of weight, to slow their fall/damage down. Immediate Actions are really useful.


Das Bier wrote:

Hmm, PFS doesn't use normal WBL tables. For a level 13 character, wbl should be 140k, and you can buy a single item worth more then that?

Oh, and 74 fame actually lets up buy an item up to 205k!

I thought they had a rule about no item being able to cost more then 30% or something of your wealth. Must be an old rule. Ah well.

People who have played up a lot and who have gotten a few of the extra-lucrative specials under their belt (like Bonekeep) will probably have a lot more wealth than the standard WBL table.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

@Das thanks for recommendation but I've not encountered a need for this spell as most people have their own ways to address falling. Being a sorcerer I have very limited spell options. I'm even using a ring of spell knowledge to adds level 1 spell (snowball).

WBL isn't an issue. I have 77k to spend and more than enough levels, prestigie and fame to buy an item up to the 77k amount. The problem is what item(s) to buy


What do you want to accomplish? I mean, you could simply upgrade the big 6 and eat all of that up quickly.

A Featherfall Page of Spell Knowledge is 1k, I think.

Also, consider upgrading your Ring of Spell Knowledge to level 2 or 3, and putting together a true spellbook of spells you'd like to cast on demand. Let the group wizard go green with envy at just how many different spells you can cast with a round's need.

Like, say, bard Cure Moderate Wounds! OR Witch versions, which you can actually put in a spellbook instead of on a scroll.

A Blessed Book and 100 levels of spells is cheap.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

How does a Blessed book help a sorcerer? We don't use spellbooks.


Look at the ring of spell knowledge. It requires you to make a spellcraft check on any spell you encounter...and that includes spellbooks.

Spellbooks are half the price or less (if you have a blessed book) to collect spells in then scrolls.

So, get a spellbook going! Collect spells just like a wizard on the cheap!

Oh, and you can use them with the Versatile Spontaneity feat and the Mnemonic Vestment, too...

==Aelryinth


Das Bier wrote:

Look at the ring of spell knowledge. It requires you to make a spellcraft check on any spell you encounter...and that includes spellbooks.

It will hold only one spell though.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I see what ha doing. Nice trick. Not sure if with the 12k investment so late in this guys career though. As for mnemonic vestment, I use robe of arcane heritage in that slot. I like the plus 4 to level for determination of bloodline powers.


Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Das Bier wrote:

Look at the ring of spell knowledge. It requires you to make a spellcraft check on any spell you encounter...and that includes spellbooks.

It will hold only one spell though.

It holds one spell at ONE TIME.

You can retrain it to another spell with a spellcraft check. That literally takes SEEING THE SPELL.

Are you thinking that the spell, once put into the ring, is fixed forever? That's not the case. You can swap the spell in the ring every six seconds if you keep making spellcraft checks.

as far as spell versatility goes, for low level spells, this hands down beats any and everything the wizard has to offer. Quick Study? Yes, you do that while I glance at my own spellbook and cast the spell five times before you even memorize it so you can cast it once...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Here's some examples of how to use the Ring of Spell knowledge.

--------------------------------------------
Oh, I don't have snowball as a SPell Known and we're fighting Fire creatures.
I pull out my spellbook, glance at Snowball, and cast it at the fire newt. Because spellcraft checks to identify a spell take no time at all.

----------
The party wizard is always gloating at having more spells that can fit any solution then me. I let him. Any time he casts a level 1-4 spell I don't know, I make a spellcraft check, and write the spell into my Blessed Book with another spellcraft check for no cost.

I do the same whenever I see a bard or witch cast a level 1-3 spell not on the sorc list. Because I can cast those, too. Although I have to make a scroll out of the bard spell.

----------
Hexodus the Shameless casts Bigby's Interjoining Finger, a personally reasearched unique level 2 spell, at the party wizard. In between laughing at his expression, I make my spellcheck to understand this custom level 2 spell I've never seen before ON THE ENEMY'S TURN.
On my turn, I cast Bigby's Interjoining Finger back on the incredulous wizard who thought he had a unique spell, enjoying the look on BOTH of their faces as I do so.
And gloat as I wonder how much I'm going to charge wizards to copy this spell after I put it in my own book.
-----------

We're in a dungeon! Trap goes off! Room flooding! Aie! Thirty seconds until it's full, and who in their right mind keeps Water Breathing on tap!
It'll take the Party wizard with his Quick Study (TM) advanced discovery a whole minute to study the spell with one of his active spell slots, and he'll be under water by then!
I whip out my spellbook, glance at the spell, make my spellcraft check, and cast the first one THAT ROUND.
Then I cast it four more times on the rest of the party, as the wizard watches with disbelief. I've got all these level 3 slots to burn, after all...
The room fills up, and takes three hours to empty out. Happily, since I didn't have to split the duration of the casting, we're all perfectly fine, if bored and wet. If neccessary, I could have cast Enduring Water breathing on everyone, then rested, and kept this up indefinitely.

----------------
The orcs are running away to get reinforcements,and we've got maybe five rounds to heal up to face them.
The party bard casts cure moderate wounds, looking somewhat helpless as he realizes he can't get everyone up and moving by himself, and just CLW wands won't be fast enough.
I make my spellcraft check, stick his Cure Moderate Wounds into my Ring, and hurriedly start spending level 3 slots to help get everyone back on their feet.

Later that night, I've still got level 2 slots open, so I pull out my scroll of bardic CLW, glance at it, teach it to my ring, and spend 4 slots of CLW on that fighter who can't heal himself, giving him another 9.5 hp per casting.

----------------
"Fireball it!" the wizard screams at me, waving his wand.

Fireball, how gauche. But they ARE trolls. He triggers his wand, a 5dice fireball goes roaring out, the trolls sound annoyed at taking 17 HP damage, and I make my spellcraft check to let my ring learn it.

On my turn, I use Empower on my new Spell Known to do a full round casting and smash a 15dice fireball into the trolls, who take it with much less grace then something out of a wand.

The Wizard wonders where I pulled THAT out of, and I just smile at him.
=============
Gorshten the minion is going to cast one of his odd necromantic spells at us, I'm sure. I prepare myself to counterspell his spell.

He casts Empowered Vampiric Touch, chortling with glee. I made the spellcraft check to identify his spell, put the base Vampiric Touch into my Ring, and then proceed to counterspell the sniveling idiot with the spell he just taught me.
He looks kind of perturbed when I do that to him.
---------------------------------------

I want to make a Gizmo of Thingowitz. I've been wanting one for a LONG time. Unfortunately, it requires you to know the spell Deeppockets, or take that +5 to your crafting DC.
I chortle to myself as, just like a wizard, I dive into my spellbook, teach the spell, and proceed to make my magic item.
I reflect I can make any Wand/Potion I want now, as long as its on the bard, sorc or witch list, and wonder who might be willing to pay for me to do so.
-------------------

You can make scrolls of any bardic spells you want, and stick any witch spells you want into a spellbook with your new wizard spells.


Das Bier wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
Das Bier wrote:

Look at the ring of spell knowledge. It requires you to make a spellcraft check on any spell you encounter...and that includes spellbooks.

It will hold only one spell though.

It holds one spell at ONE TIME.

You can retrain it to another spell with a spellcraft check. That literally takes SEEING THE SPELL.

Are you thinking that the spell, once put into the ring, is fixed forever? That's not the case. You can swap the spell in the ring every six seconds if you keep making spellcraft checks.

as far as spell versatility goes, for low level spells, this hands down beats any and everything the wizard has to offer. Quick Study? Yes, you do that while I glance at my own spellbook and cast the spell five times before you even memorize it so you can cast it once...

My thought is that once the spell is removed, you need to go through the discovery process again to regain it.


There is no 'removed' condition on that item. It's teaching the Ring a spell, and a new spell. If you teach it a new spell, it overwrites the old one.

It doesn't say you need to take a swift action, move action, standard action, full round action, or any period of time whatsoever. It says you have to 'encounter' a spell (which you can guarantee by having scrolls or a spellbook) and Make a Spellcraft Check...which is fast enough to identify a spell in midcasting for a Counterspell, ergo, takes no time at all.

Your DM may rule it takes a round or two rounds or SOMETHING...but by the item and the rules, it's just a spellcraft check, and takes no time at all.

If you are thinking the spell is 'spent' after casting it once...no, it makes it one of your Spells Known, not Spells Memorized.


Random suggestions of the top of my head:

Orange Prism Ioun Stone (+1 caster level) - 30,000gp
Metamagic Gems (Maximizing Sapphire & Widening Emerald at 4,000gp ea and Quickening Diamond at 8,000gp each, especially)
Conduit Rod - 12,000gp
Amulet of the Blooded (Elemental - Fire?) - 12,000gp (for the vulnerability to energy factor)


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I thought about orange prism and ring of wizardry. I have lesser rods for converting damage to acid and ectoplasmic. I hadn't thought about those other items. I'll look into them.


I don't play pfs, so I don't know what's allowed.

Things that may be useful -

a lesser dazing spell metamagic rod
a selective spell metamagic rod
a persistent spell metamagic rod

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Replacement for Staff of the Masters All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Advice