Favored Class Option-Shaman


Rules Questions


Is there a favored class option for an Aasimar Shaman? I looked in the Advanced Class Guide and could not locate it anywhere.


No, the ACG only has core race FCBs.. If there isn't an Aasimar FCB listed on the PFSRD, there likely isn't one in any published source (That isn't third party.) You'll have to select either HP or skill points.

Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

That said, it is worth noting that the Pathfinder Player Companion line has recently included new favored class bonuses for some classes printed after the publication of the Advanced Race Guide. The recent Blood of Shadows stands out as an example for wayangs, fetchlings, and drow. Aasimars have not received that treatment so far, in part because they already have an entire Player Companion dedicated to them (i.e. Blood of Angels). That said, Paizo staff often take customer requests into account when considering what to include in future publications.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

This is definitely a part of the game I'd like to see expanded in future publications. ^_^


Thanks for the quick responses: this particular Shaman is one I am using GM credit to build for PFS play and I was hoping for the bonus to Hex (1/6 of a hex) or perhaps the additional Cleric spell option.

Oh well, additional HP each level it is!

And I agree that updating the Favored Class Bonuses for all race/class combinations would be helpful moving forward.


Krell44 wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses: this particular Shaman is one I am using GM credit to build for PFS play and I was hoping for the bonus to Hex (1/6 of a hex) or perhaps the additional Cleric spell option.

Oh well, additional HP each level it is!

And I agree that updating the Favored Class Bonuses for all race/class combinations would be helpful moving forward.

If you legally can, you can swap your celestial language to count as human, thus granting you access to the human FCB if you're interested.


Chess Pwn...thats fantastic! How would I find out if its actually legal? This is almost exactly what I was looking for, though I would have preferred the 1/6 to Hex, but this will work wonderfully!

Aasimar Alternate Racial Trait
*Scion of Humanity: Some aasimars' heavenly ancestry is extremely distant. An aasimar with this racial trait counts as an outsider (native) and a humanoid (human) for any effect related to race, including feat prerequisites and spells that affect humanoids. She can pass for human without using the Disguise skill. This racial trait replaces the Celestial language and alters the native subtype.*

Human Favored Class Bonus-Shaman
*Shaman: Add one spell from the cleric spell list that isn't on the shaman spell list to the list of spells the shaman knows. This spell must be at least 1 level lower than the highest-level spell the shaman can cast.*


So the racial ability trade IS legal, but you'd find out by checking the additional resources page. But you'd need to own a source that includes it as an option. Which I think the advanced race has.
That's the legality part I was talking about.

Scarab Sages

seems like an awful lot to go through just to get a 0th level spell. Or am I reading this wrong?

Human Favored Class Bonus-Shaman
*Shaman: Add one spell from the cleric spell list that isn't on the shaman spell list to the list of spells the shaman knows. This spell must be at least 1 level lower than the highest-level spell the shaman can cast.*

most favored class abilities are as follows
1 skill point or 1 hp per level

most other "notably cooler" powers are 1/2, 1/4, or 1/6

this has no enumerator... thus at 1st level you gain one singular 0th level spell. I am uncertain as to think that an extra spell per level is the same as a hit point or a skill point.


Yasha Vienne wrote:

seems like an awful lot to go through just to get a 0th level spell. Or am I reading this wrong?

Human Favored Class Bonus-Shaman
*Shaman: Add one spell from the cleric spell list that isn't on the shaman spell list to the list of spells the shaman knows. This spell must be at least 1 level lower than the highest-level spell the shaman can cast.*

most favored class abilities are as follows
1 skill point or 1 hp per level

most other "notably cooler" powers are 1/2, 1/4, or 1/6

this has no enumerator... thus at 1st level you gain one singular 0th level spell. I am uncertain as to think that an extra spell per level is the same as a hit point or a skill point.

You are correct that it’s prolly not worth it to get an additional 0 level spell. I generally go with the HP or skill point until I’m casting level 2 spells before taking that FCB. Then I can add level 1 and higher spells which is totally worthwhile, especially considering the shaman’s poopy spell list. It’s not like the choice is locked in and you have to take the same FCB every level.

Scarab Sages

born_of_fire wrote:


It’s not like the choice is locked in and you have to take the same FCB every level.

right, but you cant take it EVERY level is my point... you can only take it ONCE?


Every level you take in a favored class you get your choice of an FCB.


a human (or aasimar that counts as human) can take the FCB every level and every level they do they get to add a cleric spell one level lower to their spell list from the cleric list.

this FCB is very much the same as the sorcerer's, bard's, wizard's, witch's, and oracle's human FCB

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Favored Class Option-Shaman All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.