Regarding PFS - can we use scenarios from all seasons towards XP / character advancement


Pathfinder Society

1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
1/5

Hi. I have registered for a PFS number. I have read and know that allows me to run a PFS game with my gaming group. What I would like to know is the following:

Can I start with season 1 (or season 0) and have my players earn XP from them or do you only earn XP from current season scenarios? I am thinking of purchasing the pdfs of the previous seasons if they are still valid for my players and myself to earn XP from playing them.

The rules says that players playing through adventure paths can do so using variant rules to earn credit towards XP, Fame/prestige for their characters. Is that accurate? I prefer to use some house rules as well as some of the alternate rules (wounds and vigour, piecemeal armor being two of them).

Would my players need to be register with their own PFS number before I run them through an adventure path or can they register for one at some point during or after they have played through any adventure paths I run for them?

I am currently playing in a game that someone else is running an adventure path for the group. Am I able to gain XP for it if the GM does not have a PFS number?

Is there a statue of limitations for how long we can get credit for running/playing in a adventure path? How long is the statue of limitations if there is one?

Scarab Sages 5/5 5/5 *** Venture-Captain, Washington—Spokane

Can I start with season 1 (or season 0) and have my players earn XP from them or do you only earn XP from current season scenarios? - Yes

The rules says that players playing through adventure paths can do so using variant rules to earn credit towards XP, Fame/prestige for their characters. Is that accurate? I prefer to use some house rules as well as some of the alternate rules (wounds and vigour, piecemeal armor being two of them). - Yes, your players would essentially be running a pregen (the characters they created) and applying the chronicle to an in level PFS character following all the rules outlined in the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide.

Would my players need to be register with their own PFS number before I run them through an adventure path or can they register for one at some point during or after they have played through any adventure paths I run for them? - They would need to be given numbers that you can have generated from the Paizo site but they do not have to be registered. I would make sure they have their numbers before you run the sanctioned portion of the Adventure Path.

I am currently playing in a game that someone else is running an adventure path for the group. Am I able to gain XP for it if the GM does not have a PFS number? - It depends on if the AP is sanctioned and the GM or you are willing provide him with the chronicles. You may be able to get them to allow it if you do the legwork (reporting, PFS numbers, and chronicles).

Is there a statue of limitations for how long we can get credit for running/playing in a adventure path? How long is the statue of limitations if there is one? - As long as you have not run the sanctioned portion of the part of the sanctioned adventure path you are participating in, you can receive PFS credit. You are not able to receive PFS credit for something that has already been completed.

Hopefully that helps. Please feel free to post any other questions you have in the future.

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

D. Masters wrote:

Hi. I have registered for a PFS number. I have read and know that allows me to run a PFS game with my gaming group. What I would like to know is the following:

Can I start with season 1 (or season 0) and have my players earn XP from them or do you only earn XP from current season scenarios? I am thinking of purchasing the pdfs of the previous seasons if they are still valid for my players and myself to earn XP from playing them.

Absolutely. You can play any scenarios in any order that you are in tier for and receive XP for them.

Quote:
The rules says that players playing through adventure paths can do so using variant rules to earn credit towards XP, Fame/prestige for their characters. Is that accurate? I prefer to use some house rules as well as some of the alternate rules (wounds and vigour, piecemeal armor being two of them).

This rule is for playing an entire Adventure Path with non-PFS characters. The Adventure Path characters don't have PFS numbers (xxxxxx-3). However as those characters complete the sanctioned part the players can choose to apply the credit to a PFS character of theirs.

Quote:
Would my players need to be register with their own PFS number before I run them through an adventure path or can they register for one at some point during or after they have played through any adventure paths I run for them?

If they want to receive credit on PFS characters they need to register for a PFS number before they get to the sanctioned part.

Quote:
I am currently playing in a game that someone else is running an adventure path for the group. Am I able to gain XP for it if the GM does not have a PFS number?

Probably not. The GM needs to report a table with a minimum of 3 PFS numbers. In addition, it needs to be one of the sanctioned Adventure Paths. You can do things like just having everyone get a number regardless, but the intention of the AP option is to reward a group of players who also play PFS.

Quote:
Is there a statue of limitations for how long we can get credit for running/playing in a adventure path? How long is the statue of limitations if there is one?

If you are asking if you can receive credit for an Adventure Path you ran 4 years ago, then no. If you are asking how long you have to report a session you are running this week, there's no set time limit but you should endeavour to do so as soon as possible.

1/5

Thank you, Preston and Kevin.

Just to confirm - whenever we run an adventure path for our players, we are allowed to use any alternate/house rule (not just alternate variant rules published in a Paizo Pathfinder book), including allowing item creation feats - is that correct?

For example one of the house rules I have come up which my players like is how I handle magic item creation and how item creation items work. With my house rule item creation feats gives the caster the ability to learn different magic item creation formula (costing 10% of the market value of the magic aspect of the item) with gaining two formulas for free when a character selects an item creation feat (exception being spell completion and spell trigger items not needing recipes for). The imbuing of items is time sensitive and needs to be done during the time the mundane item is being crafted.

So I would be able to use my above house rule when I run any of the adventures paths for my players, correct?

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

D. Masters wrote:
So I would be able to use my above house rule when I run any of the adventures paths for my players, correct?

As long as these are not PFS characters, yes.

You can run an Adventure Path any way you want. Heck, you could use 1st edition rules or a d6 system. It's completely up to you, no one is going to tell you how to run your AP.

However when the PFS chronicles are awarded they must go to a legal PFS character playing under all the PFS rules. So a completely different character than the ones that are in the adventure path. The chronicle is awarded as they finish each sanctioned portion as explained on the first page of the chronicle .pdf.

1/5

Thanks, Kevin.

Regarding legal faction choices. I plan to start with season 0 or 1. Are the now-current retired factions legal for the earlier season scenarios or do you always use the current valid legal factions regardless of which season a scenario you are running is from? I do not recall this being mentioned in the PFS guide.

I used to be the regional manager for WWE Raw Deal ccg tournaments and I am the creator of the WWE Raw Deal Nobody Rules (played and enjoyed by people across the globe - increasing their leisure time fun). Once I have run PFS scenarios for my friends for a few months (so I get more comfortable with running PFS) I plan to apply to become a VO for my area). Any advice regarding that.

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

You have to use the current factions. Make sure to download the Secondary Success Conditions document for those earlier seasons. (Prestige was tied to faction missions but that has been phased out. That document now contains the requirements for gaining prestige. The faction missions can be handed out for flavor and roleplaying but have no mechanical effects any more (unless the SSC document says otherwise).

As far as becoming a VO...where are you located? Most likely you should get in touch with your local Venture Captain.

Scarab Sages 5/5 5/5 *** Venture-Captain, Washington—Spokane

D. Masters wrote:

Thanks, Kevin.

Regarding legal faction choices. I plan to start with season 0 or 1. Are the now-current retired factions legal for the earlier season scenarios or do you always use the current valid legal factions regardless of which season a scenario you are running is from? I do not recall this being mentioned in the PFS guide.

I used to be the regional manager for WWE Raw Deal ccg tournaments and I am the creator of the WWE Raw Deal Nobody Rules (played and enjoyed by people across the globe - increasing their leisure time fun). Once I have run PFS scenarios for my friends for a few months (so I get more comfortable with running PFS) I plan to apply to become a VO for my area). Any advice regarding that.

As far as factions are concerned, you should always use the current season's active factions regardless of what season you run. If you do run anything from Season 4 or earlier, you will want to download the Secondary Success Conditions document from the Pathfinder Society Free Products section of the Pathfinder Society page.

The best advice I can give you on becoming a VO is get in contact with the Venture-Captain in your area and help them out when you can with events. Basically, get involved in your local PFS community. Then express your interest to them and let them know you would like the increased involvement that comes with being a Venture-Officer. Your Regional Venture-Coordinator will be able to help if your area does not have any Venture-Officers.

Hope that helps and good luck.

2/5

Only the currently approved factions are allowed regardless of what season the scenario is from. The faction missions found in early seasons have been replaced with a blanket secondary success condition for the scenario. The secondary success conditions can be found here.

For players who like the feeling that their faction has an agenda beyond the Pathfinder Society's, Faction Cards are also an option.

1/5

Thank you.

I am in Hamilton, Ontario. I am not sure if there is currently any PFS VOs in my area and will look into it when I am ready to start volunteering my time to run PFS events.

What is the minimum number of games a VO must run per month?

3/5

Don't forget: there are some early scenarios that are retired and not legal for PFS.

robertness wrote:

Only the currently approved factions are allowed regardless of what season the scenario is from. The faction missions found in early seasons have been replaced with a blanket secondary success condition for the scenario. The secondary success conditions can be found here.

For players who like the feeling that their faction has an agenda beyond the Pathfinder Society's, Faction Cards are also an option.

^ One caveat is that while the prestige gained is based on the secondary success conditions PDF linked above, the faction missions in the scenario can still be provided - they are optional to do and gain the player nothing extra. If your group is casual and time constraint isn't a mitigating factor, the faction missions can be useful for RP and what not.

You will find that with many of the earlier season scenarios will tend to go quick without the faction missions as about half of the scenario content no longer matters. I can run some of the lower tier early season scenarios in 2 to 3 hours even with any optional encounters if I cut out the optional faction missions.

Shadow Lodge 4/5 *** Venture-Captain, Michigan—Mt. Pleasant

D. Masters wrote:

Thank you.

I am in Hamilton, Ontario. I am not sure if there is currently any PFS VOs in my area and will look into it when I am ready to start volunteering my time to run PFS events.

There are currently 2 Venture-Lieutenants in Toronto David Creighton and Geoffrey Peart. I believe your closest Venture-Captain is Glen Shackleton in Ottawa.

D. Masters wrote:


What is the minimum number of games a VO must run per month?

I believe all VOs are supposed to run two public games every month.

1/5

Thank you, Eric.

A few questions regarding things that were overlooked and other topics.

What is the phonetic pronunciation of Golarion?

According to PFS human characters gain Common and the language tied to their ethnicity for free. I know Azlanti are not allowed. Chelaxians and Taldans do not have a language listed (aside Common - both in the Inner Sea Guide and the PFS guide. Do they not get one? If they do which one(s) are their ethnicity-tied languages they gain for free?

Clarification regarding equipment. In the character creation chapter it lists all equipment in the Core Ruleook as being legal (including special materials. In a later chapter it states that all equipment in the Core is 'always available' including special materials except for dragonhide. Is a new character allowed to start with dragonhide (but then is not allowed access to it unless a Chronicle Sheet opens it up as an available option)?

Are characters restricted to choosing heights and weights that fall within the random height and weight tables? What about for humans who take the racial heritage feat for a Small race?

Do they have to have a starting age that is within the random starting age range for their race and class?

Can a group of Core Play rules characters become a group of Standard Play rules characters without needing an existing Standard Play rules character to be seated at the legal table?

I believe this is legal (confirm it for me, please): A player can play pre-gen characters for any number of scenarios, and then apply the credit for playing pre-gens towards any of their official characters (even brand new ones), thus allowing players who only play pregens for a few/several scenarios to create brand-new official characters that they can apply the XP (and prestige, gold, etc.) credit to, making it possible for them to create a higher level character before they play them in a scenario for the first time.

Seeker-level scenarios/modules: Who is allowed to run them? Are they allowed in home games? Are they only official run at conventions? [the PFS guide does not cover them in detail much).

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

D. Masters wrote:
What is the phonetic pronunciation of Golarion?

go-lare-e-on (not a linguist)

Quote:
According to PFS human characters gain Common and the language tied to their ethnicity for free. I know Azlanti are not allowed. Chelaxians and Taldans do not have a language listed (aside Common - both in the Inner Sea Guide and the PFS guide. Do they not get one? If they do which one(s) are their ethnicity-tied languages they gain for free?

Their racial language (along with Andorans, Absalomites, and a few others) is Taldane - which is so widespread it is just referred to as "common."

Quote:
Clarification regarding equipment. In the character creation chapter it lists all equipment in the Core Ruleook as being legal (including special materials. In a later chapter it states that all equipment in the Core is 'always available' including special materials except for dragonhide. Is a new character allowed to start with dragonhide (but then is not allowed access to it unless a Chronicle Sheet opens it up as an available option)?

All equipment in the CRB is legal for play but you may not be able to access it immediately. The fame mechanic determines the maximum cost of any piece of equipment. The later chapter you found is specifically saying "these items are exempt from the fame requirement, anyone can by them." So anyone can by a mithral breastplate regardless of fame but you can't buy a dragonhide breastplate unless your fame score is high enough. You still have to pay for everything (including your starting gear).

Quote:
Are characters restricted to choosing heights and weights that fall within the random height and weight tables? What about for humans who take the racial heritage feat for a Small race?

Yes. That's in the PFS FAQ somewhere. Please avoid racial heritage unless you want to get into arguments, (But the answer is that you are still the same size).

Quote:
Do they have to have a starting age that is within the random starting age range for their race and class?

No. You can't be a child but you can be any other age. However there are no stat modifications based on age. So if you're a 60 year-old human you still have the stats of a young adult. Basically to prevent "elderly spellcasters."

Quote:
Can a group of Core Play rules characters become a group of Standard Play rules characters without needing an existing Standard Play rules character to be seated at the legal table?

Yes. Just report it as Standard. (But remember you can never go back.)

Quote:
I believe this is legal (confirm it for me, please): A player can play pre-gen characters for any number of scenarios, and then apply the credit for playing pre-gens towards any of their official characters (even brand new ones), thus allowing players who only play pregens for a few/several scenarios to create brand-new official characters that they can apply the XP (and prestige, gold, etc.) credit to, making it possible for them to create a higher level character before they play them in a scenario for the first time.

Not quite. If you play a pregen you must either apply the credit to a level one character (with a reduction in gold) or hold it for a character that is a lower level than the pregen. In other words if you have a level 7 and a level 5 character and you play a pregen in a Tier 7-11 scenario you either give the chronicle to a level one character or "hold" it and apply it to the level 4 character as soon as it reaches level 7. You can't give the credit to the level 7 character as it was eligible to play in the scenario anyway.

Seeker-level scenarios/modules: Who is allowed to run them? Are they allowed in home games? Are they only official run at conventions?

Anyone can run one. They are allowed in home games or conventions. In fact, playing at home is often better because you aren't bound by the time limit of the convention slot.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Kevin Willis wrote:
Quote:
According to PFS human characters gain Common and the language tied to their ethnicity for free. I know Azlanti are not allowed. Chelaxians and Taldans do not have a language listed (aside Common - both in the Inner Sea Guide and the PFS guide. Do they not get one? If they do which one(s) are their ethnicity-tied languages they gain for free?
Their racial language (along with Andorans, Absalomites, and a few others) is Taldane - which is so widespread it is just referred to as "common."

To be pedantic, the OP rightly asked about the Chelaxian and Taldan ethnicities, whose language is known as "Common". Andorans are mostly Chelaxian and Taldan by ethnicity. Many Absalomites are of Garundi ancestry so could (if the player chooses) take Osiriani as an ethnic language. Any ethnicity can occur in any nation - a Tian (-Min) brought up in Varisia, as a well-known example.

1/5

Thank you.

Clarifications:

I was not asking if a human with the racial heritage feat could become Small size. I was asking if players are restricted to choosing height and weights within the range from the random height and weight table. Some of the human ethnicity write-ups in the Inner Sea Guide state heights that are outside of the range on the table.

The PFS Guide states that humans gain a free (non-Common) language based on their ethnicity. What is the bonus (non_Common) language that Chelaxians and Taldans receive for free?

I want to find out which scenarios, modules and adventure paths open up new races (and which race each one does). How do I find that information (before deciding to purchase them)?

The adventure paths: is it 3 XP for playing through the entire adventure path or 3 XP for each part (for a total of 18 XP) ?

Which adventure paths include sanctioned content towards earning PFS XP credit for PFS characters?

1/5

Is Serpent's Skull a sanctioned AP for PFS?

Is Skull and Shackles AP a sanctioned one?

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

D. Masters wrote:

Thank you.

Clarifications:

I was not asking if a human with the racial heritage feat could become Small size. I was asking if players are restricted to choosing height and weights within the range from the random height and weight table. Some of the human ethnicity write-ups in the Inner Sea Guide state heights that are outside of the range on the table.

Officially, I believe you are restricted to the numbers in the CRB, but as long as you aren't too extreme, most GMs will probably let it slide.

D. Masters wrote:
The PFS Guide states that humans gain a free (non-Common) language based on their ethnicity. What is the bonus (non_Common) language that Chelaxians and Taldans receive for free?

Theirs is Taldane, so they don't get a bonus language. You may consider this unfair, but I know of nothing that countermands that info.

D. Masters wrote:
I want to find out which scenarios, modules and adventure paths open up new races (and which race each one does). How do I find that information (before deciding to purchase them)?

It's considered a breach of PFS etiquette (known as "Chronicle fishing") to play scenarios specifically for this purpose; most users will be hesitant to share this info.

D. Masters wrote:
The adventure paths: is it 3 XP for playing through the entire adventure path or 3 XP for each part (for a total of 18 XP) ?

It's shown on the freely downloadable Chronicle sheets for each AP (see below). Definitely closer to 18 than 3, though.

D. Masters wrote:

Which adventure paths include sanctioned content towards earning PFS XP credit for PFS characters?

In the Additional Resources, under each legal AP, there will be info on its sanctioning and a link to freely downloadable Chronicle sheets. If there's no link, it's not PFS-sanctioned.

Does this satisfactorily answer your questions? ^_^

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

D. Masters wrote:

Is Serpent's Skull a sanctioned AP for PFS?

Is Skull and Shackles AP a sanctioned one?

No and yes, respectively. ^_^

Silver Crusade 4/5

Kalindlara wrote:
D. Masters wrote:


I want to find out which scenarios, modules and adventure paths open up new races (and which race each one does). How do I find that information (before deciding to purchase them)?

It's considered a breach of PFS etiquette (known as "Chronicle fishing") to play scenarios specifically for this purpose; most users will be hesitant to share this info.

I don't believe any of them open up races anyway. Race boons are generally earned by GMing at conventions, or occasionally other ways, but they're separate from playing specific scenarios.

4/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Finland—Tampere

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fromper wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
D. Masters wrote:


D. Masters wrote:
I want to find out which scenarios, modules and adventure paths open up new races (and which race each one does). How do I find that information (before deciding to purchase them)?

It's considered a breach of PFS etiquette (known as "Chronicle fishing") to play scenarios specifically for this purpose; most users will be hesitant to share this info.

I don't believe any of them open up races anyway. Race boons are generally earned by GMing at conventions, or occasionally other ways, but they're separate from playing specific scenarios.

There's at least one that does open a race.

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

Rei wrote:
There's at least one that does open a race.

This is correct. I won't name it here... but I will say that it's an amazing scenario in its own right, and the way the unlock works is very well-done. ^_^

1/5

Thank you, everyone.

As for 'chronicle fishing. I would suggest Paizo rethink that. GMs who have a regular group know their players and what would make them more enthused or less enthused about playing a specific official PFS scenario/module. As the overall goal of Pathfinder/PFS/D&D is for everyone at the table to have fun - part of the best asset along the way is for GMs to know some of the 'fun rewards' that would make their players enjoy a given session even more than a standard one. Add to the fact that most GMs need to pay money for the PFS sanctioned materials, it could lead to some GMs losing interest/desire in purchasing additional PFS sanctioned materials (and thus loss of the players of his group as ongoing active PFS players).

I have read through the short summaries of the existing adventure paths. I am impressed with the variety of different campaigns (which makes it easier to know for GMs which ones have more player appeal for their home gaming groups.

An example of a good etiquette (and a smart play on Paizo's part) is to at the very least list which sanctioned scenarios add firearms (otherwise a gunslinger PC is restricted to only his starting battered firearm until 'luck of the draw' regarding how many scenarios he has to play in until he can finally gain a different firearm - something none of the other core/base/advanced classes have as a 'roadblock' to playing the character they envision. That 'luck of the draw' could make it so a gunslinger character reaches level 11 without every gaining access to any firearm (aside his initial battered firearm). [If I have overlooked something regarding this, please let me know.]

I take it the individual Chronicle sheets list which ones have firearms, but there is a lot of Chronicles sheets with 6 full seasons of PFS worth of scenarios. That could lead to a fair bit of time-consuming research just to find a scenario for a firearm for a gunslinger character. Time that otherwise could have been used to be reading and preparing/running a scenario.

The race option is the same thing. For players who enjoy/prefer to play non-Core races...for them to discover months (even years later) that they could have been playing a preferred race but could not because his/her GM was unaware of there is a sanctioned material that opens up such a race.

I understand that the details of scenarios of the current season of PFS should be kept 'secret' until discovered in game, but previous seasons' scenarios should have a search engine for key Chronicle race/equipment 'unlocks'.

5/5 *****

Quote:
An example of a good etiquette (and a smart play on Paizo's part) is to at the very least list which sanctioned scenarios add firearms (otherwise a gunslinger PC is restricted to only his starting battered firearm until 'luck of the draw' regarding how many scenarios he has to play in until he can finally gain a different firearm - something none of the other core/base/advanced classes have as a 'roadblock' to playing the character they envision. That 'luck of the draw' could make it so a gunslinger character reaches level 11 without every gaining access to any firearm (aside his initial battered firearm). [If I have overlooked something regarding this, please let me know.]

You have overlooked the fame system which is the main way people gain access to more expensive equipment. You don't have to find things on chronicles to buy them, that simply opens access to them outside of the fame system.

Occasionally chronicles will also make available items which are not otherwise available such as partially charged wands or higher caster level scrolls and potions but otherwise your fame and additional resources dictates what you can buy.

1/5

Yes, Kalindlara, your answers do.

For any Paizo employee reading this, I suggest one of the revisions you make to the PFS guide is in the section regarding bonus languages for humans that you state that Taldanes and Chelaxians do not get a free bonus language (which as the sentence currently in the PFS guide states humans receive two free languages (Common and one base on their ethnicity). If you decide to actually give them one each I suggest the ethnic language of the surrounding countries of Chelax (for Chelaxians) and Taldan (for Taldan). Infernal would make a sensible (in-game) reason for Chelax (depending on just how much the language of the devils became common practice or not for the residents of that county).

As the goal (from the start) of the PFS is to have all characters be created on equal ground (thus the 20 point buy method), some players might view it being unfair that all but 2 of the human ethnicities start with two languages.

1/5

Thanks, Andrew.

I just rechecked. I remembered the guide stating it was equipment in the Core Rulebook that was considered always available. It was the sentence "All mundane (completely nonmagical) weapons, armor, equipment, and alchemical gear found in any other source that is legal for play are considered always available." that I did not recall.

So gunslinger (or any other character with the needed feat prerequisites) can not gain a firearm (aside the initial battered firearm) until the character reaches level 4 (9 fame and increasing max item cost from 500 gold to 1500 gold).

13 fame for most +1 weapons (so potential to buy it after playing first scenario of being level 5 opens them up). 18 fame for a +1 pistol (so potential to purchase one once a gunslinger (or other fire-arm using character) reaches level 7.

Am I a missing any relevant information regarding the earliest a non-magical pistol and a magical pistol can be purchased? (unless a specific Chronicle makes it available sooner)

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

D. Masters wrote:

I just rechecked. I remembered the guide stating it was equipment in the Core Rulebook that was considered always available. It was the sentence "All mundane (completely nonmagical) weapons, armor, equipment, and alchemical gear found in any other source that is legal for play are considered always available." that I did not recall.

So gunslinger (or any other character with the needed feat prerequisites) can not gain a firearm (aside the initial battered firearm) until the character reaches level 4 (9 fame and increasing max item cost from 500 gold to 1500 gold).

13 fame for most +1 weapons (so potential to buy it after playing first scenario of being level 5 opens them up). 18 fame for a +1 pistol (so potential to purchase one once a gunslinger (or other fire-arm using character) reaches level 7.

Am I a missing any relevant information regarding the earliest a non-magical pistol and a magical pistol can be purchased? (unless a specific Chronicle makes it available sooner)

There are two rules. One concerning firearms and one concerning all other weapons.

Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide page 24:
Quote:

You may always purchase the following items or equipment so long as you’re in an appropriately sized settlement (see above).

.
.
.
+1 weapons (2,000 gp + 300 for the masterwork weapon cost + item cost)

However the Additional Resources Document states

Quote:
No character may purchase a firearm unless she possesses the Gunsmithing feat and firearms are never considered Always Available.

So you've got the fame requirement for the pistol correct. Non-firearm +1 weapons can be bought any time you have the gold.

However you're likely underestimating how quickly the players will get to that fame level. The design expectation is about 4.5 Fame per level but in practice it's often faster. Even if they are exactly at the expectation the firearm will be available at level 5.

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

D. Masters:

I suggest you try to make it to a PFS game in Toronto if at all possible. I went through the same confusion when I started playing but just seeing it in action makes it so much easier.

It looks like they play on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Saturdays.
http://www.ontariopathfinders.com/toronto/

1/5

Not really feasible for me to travel to Toronto to play (12 hour night continental shifts). I will keep it in mind for down the line though.

Ah, I was working 3 XP and 3 fame/character level. Thanks for the clarification.

Regarding my players gaining credit for sanctioned AP I run for them using their 'pre-gens'. Do they have to apply the PFS credit for each of the six parts of a specific adventure path to the same PFS character or can they choose which of their PFS characters to apply credit to on a per each of the 6 parts of the adventure path?

1/5

I do not recall for sure. Has Paizo collected a second adventure path into hardcover format (like they did for Rise of the Runelords); and if they did which one is it?

Dark Archive 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

They have collected the second AP, Curse of the Crimson Throne, into a single hardcover book, similar to the Anniversary Edition of RotRL, but it hasn't been released yet... I think it's due out some time in September?

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

Keirine, Human Rogue wrote:
They have collected the second AP, Curse of the Crimson Throne, into a single hardcover book, similar to the Anniversary Edition of RotRL, but it hasn't been released yet... I think it's due out some time in September?

This is correct. It's likely that we'll be seeing Chronicle sheets for that Path sometime thereafter. ^_^

1/5

Ah, that is why I could not find it in the AP products thus far (was still browsing...).

Thank you, everyone.

Clarification, please: I am going to be running adventure paths (with sanctioned content) for my players. The first level range is 2-4. This means the players have two options: wait until they reach level 2 with an existing PFS character and then apply the Chronicle sheet to it OR apply the Chronicle sheet to a brand new lv 1 PFS character (with reduced gold). Is this correct?

When they play through the next sanctioned part (lv 5-7), do they have to apply PFS credit to the same character they applied the previous sanctioned section to, OR can they apply the credit to ANY of their PFS characters?

1/5

Are the current non-sanctioned adventure paths going to become sanctioned ones at some point in the future?

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

D. Masters wrote:
Are the current non-sanctioned adventure paths going to become sanctioned ones at some point in the future?

Possibly. The PFS team has a lot to do, but they may get to others in the future.

I wouldn't expect to see Legacy of Fire or Second Darkness, as they're both 3.5. Kingmaker's format makes it unlikely for inclusion, but not impossible. Due to the alignment of Hell's Vengeance, I doubt it will be sanctioned. The rest are all possible.

1/5

Thank you, Kalindlara. :) I will wait to run Serpent's Skull then and hope that one becomes a sanctioned one.

Now to decide on which sanctioned AP I am going to run and do some prep work before some of my players show up tomorrow to create characters.

1/5

:(

It has been a while since I purchased a pdf from the store. How long should it take for the pdfs I just purchased to show up in my downloads (and my order history)?

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

Should be pretty quick. ^_^

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
D. Masters wrote:
Clarification, please: I am going to be running adventure paths (with sanctioned content) for my players. The first level range is 2-4. This means the players have two options: wait until they reach level 2 with an existing PFS character and then apply the Chronicle sheet to it OR apply the Chronicle sheet to a brand new lv 1 PFS character (with reduced gold). Is this correct?

That is correct.

Quote:
When they play through the next sanctioned part (lv 5-7), do they have to apply PFS credit to the same character they applied the previous sanctioned section to, OR can they apply the credit to ANY of their PFS characters?

Either one. If they apply it to the same character it gets "held" until the character reaches level 5 and then is immediately applied.

Silver Crusade 2/5

Remember the two ways the modules in Adventure Paths can be run: Campaign Mode and Sanctioned Mode. I don't have a handy link for the descriptions, but only in Campaign Mode do you play the entire content.

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

DesolateHarmony wrote:
Remember the two ways the modules in Adventure Paths can be run: Campaign Mode and Sanctioned Mode. I don't have a handy link for the descriptions, but only in Campaign Mode do you play the entire content.

That's a good point.

I was assuming you are planning to play in Campaign mode and give the chronicles to PFS characters. If you are playing just the sanctioned parts you need to do that with actual PFS characters of appropriate level.

1/5

I will be running it as a campaign with non-PFS characters (letting my players not be as 'restricted' and enjoying the entirety of the AP and being able to earn XP credit towards PFS characters they create.

1/5

Does anyone know why the Skulls and Shackles Player's Guide (and possibly Part of 1 of the AP) does not print out properly? It prints about the top 1/5 of the first page I send to the printer and the rest of the sheet (and all subsequent sheets) are blank.

I have successfully printed out the Inner Sea Primer without an issue (before and after discovering the issue with the Skull and Shackles Player's Guide and AP).

Anyone know how to resolve this as it has to be coming from the pdf side of things and not the printer.

Silver Crusade 4/5 5/55/55/5 RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

I have previously printed it with no problems.

1/5

Regarding legal table size for players using 'pre-gens' for credit in Advebbnture Paths.

Is it okay if some of the players are PFS members (who will put credit towards one of their official PFS characters) and players who want to play PF (and the AP) but do not want to be part of the PFS?

If the following is allowed...how does legal table limit work? A) the players who will be putting the AP towards PFS credit must make a legal table (with the non-PFS players being ignored for legal table purposes); OR B) the total number of players at the table (PFS and non-PFS members) must constitute the legal table limit of 4-6 characters.

If the GM needs to play a pre-gen in an AP (in which players are using non-PFS characters towards PFS character credit) does the pre-gen the GM runs also have the removal of standard PFS legal characters? (see next paragraph for an example).

I am going to be using the wounds and vigour system (modified slightly so Constitution bonus applies to vigour points as well as wound points - see next paragraph for why I modify the wounds and vigour posts). So all my players at the table will have PCs using wounds and vigour. If needed I will run a pre-gen for the sanctioned sections of the AP. Will my pre-gen NPC have to use the standard pre-gens unmodified or would they have the wounds and vigour added to their stats because all the PCs have wounds and vigour. Since players' 'pre-gens' they use in an AP do not have to be official pre-gens for PFS play, does that mean a pre-gen the GM plays (if needed to make a legal table) not have to be one of the official PFS pre-gen characters as well?

A generic question/clarification regarding GMs playing a pre-gen for the purposes of making a table legal. The legal table size is 4 to 6 players. I know the PFS scenarios have level range tiers so you can run them for PCs of different levels. Do they also modify things based on the number of players playing? (for example does a party of 4 PCs face the exact same threats/encounters as a party of 6 PCs do?) If they do...then has PFS 'guildmasters' consider allowing GMs (for home games at least) to play a pre-gen as long as doing so does not increase the table above the legal limit of 6?

Many GMs across the globe enjoy table-top gaming and would like to have and play their own PCs but are the only GM in the group/area. So regarding home table games would appreciate the option of being able to play pre-gens even if they do not need to to make a legal table. For example people in small town/villages (with no large town/city within 2 hours (and possibly no public transit to the closest larger town/city) might be part of the only group in the town/village (or even a group of villages/small towns) and has a group of 4 to 5 players. The GM can get credit towards official PFS characters of his own (BUT will never be able to play them as he is the only person to run PFS in possibly a 100+ mile radius). He dutifully runs PFS for his 4-5 players, but since they already constitute a legal table size, by the rules (presented in the PFS guide) he is not allowed to run a pre-gen (so he is continually running the games but never gets the privilege/pleasure of actually being able to run a PFS character. To avoid possible conflict of interest if allowed he simply only be allowed to run official pre-gens.

For some of you reading the above who think such a situation does not occur - that was my situation where I was raised (albeit PFS and PF did not exist - but that is how it would have impacted my enjoyment of the game - wanting to play my own official character but not being allowed to regardless of how many years I ran official games for my gaming group.

Grand Lodge 4/5

For running an AP in campaign mode:
No need to use PFS table size limits.
No requirement to use the Pathfinder game system, although it is, usually, easiest.
No need to use the PFS pregens to help fill out the table, you can use a custom NPC, if you need to beef up the party.

Some things to remember:
Most APs are designed around an assumption of 4 PCs, built using 15 point buy, with a probable combat animal as well.
However, if you want to run it for 10 players, suing 50 point buy and Mythic rules, go for it. Or, if you want to use the Amber Diceless rules, or Fudge, or Hero System, or GURPS, go for it. Most of those will require a fair amount of effort on the GM's part, for converting the NPCs and creatures to the game system...
The main rule, if you use a different game system, is that, in campaign mode, you need to retain the flavor of the storyline, it should be recognizable as AP Y to someone else who also played that AP.

If you have players who don't want to join PFS, you can always just not give them chronicles, or, alternatively, once you setup the event in the system here on Paizo, you can get a sheet of 10 unassigned PFS numbers, and just use them for your other players, and keep the relevant card and chronicles together, and let the player know, if they ever decide to try PFS, that you have the stuff for them, especially if they want to start play with a PC higher than 1st level.

Also, as the GM, you also get a chronicle for the PFS sanctioned sections, that you can assign to your own PC, which you can then use at other PFS games, either at conventions, at a local store which has PFS games, or even online via either a VTT or PbP/PbF.

Hope this all makes sense.

1/5

Thanks, Martin. The PFS guide states that the players do not need to use PFS characters, but it does not cover table size and such for AP that are being running through with non-official PFS characters.

I have successfully printed out the AP Player's Guide. It took closing the tab the pdf was open in and opening up the file again a few times before it finally started printing correctly. So I would suggest that for anyone who has similar issues printing out any of the pdfs.

I will be using Pathfinder (which I have referred to as the 'true 4th edition of D&D' since I first started playing/running it, since it is the obvious evolution from the 3.5 edition).

Clarification please, Martin. Is not our PFS (player, not character) number only able to be created while we are logged into our personal account. Would not each individual player need to create his/her own Paizo account to then register and get a PFS account number?

Did you mean I could create 10 new PFS numbers (using my player number as the prefix) which my players could use (with the specific character number attached to the character they play in PFS)?

Grand Lodge 4/5

D. Masters wrote:

Clarification please, Martin. Is not our PFS (player, not character) number only able to be created while we are logged into our personal account. Would not each individual player need to create his/her own Paizo account to then register and get a PFS account number?

Did you mean I could create 10 new PFS numbers (using my player number as the prefix) which my players could use (with the specific character number attached to the character they play in PFS)?

Okay, when you create an event in the Paizo reporting system, which is under the PFS area of yoru Paizo account,

Directions:
Go to My Account, log in.
Find the Pathfinder Society block, and click on the title or other embedded link, which will bring you to the My Pathfinder Society page.
Click on the GM/Coordinator tab.
If you haven't already, click on the Create New Event button, and fill out your event information.
Once you save that event, a new section will appear at the bottom of the page:
Pathfinder Society Cards
Below that will be two buttons:
- Reserve Ten More Pathfinder Society Cards
- Download Ten Most Recent Pathfinder Society Cards
I am not sure if you need to reserve first, or can just use the Download link right away, but when you can, it downloads a single page PDF containing ten ID cards.
Those cards will have a PFS number, around the middle of the card, and a confirmation code at the bottom.

I print out two copies, one I cut up, one I leave whole, and use the whole sheet to notate who I gave the individual cards to, for you I would just use a paper clip and the card as a piece with the chronicles, so they are all a bundle; and use the whole sheet just as a reminder as to whom you assigned each number. The ten numbers are typically sequential.

Hope that makes sense...

1/5

It does. (so new players who show up are given their own unique PFS player number)

Are we allowed to do that for home table games or just public sanctioned events we run? I am running the AP for a group of friends, not as a public event.

Sovereign Court 5/5 * Venture-Captain, Texas—Houston

D. Masters wrote:

It does. (so new players who show up are given their own unique PFS player number)

Are we allowed to do that for home table games or just public sanctioned events we run? I am running the AP for a group of friends, not as a public event.

Every new player should have their own number if they are going to have a character that they will use in PFS, the event does not need to public.

If the player is not going to play PFS, then they do not have to have a number (you may want it for reporting purposes, but they do not have to have one).
If you think you will be giving chronicle sheets, you should either have them sign up or you can provide them their numbers at the table.
Martin gave you the steps for the latter, I have enclosed below.

Martin Weil wrote:

Directions:

Go to My Account, log in.
Find the Pathfinder Society block, and click on the title or other embedded link, which will bring you to the My Pathfinder Society page.
Click on the GM/Coordinator tab.
If you haven't already, click on the Create New Event button, and fill out your event information.
Once you save that event, a new section will appear at the bottom of the page:
Pathfinder Society Cards
Below that will be two buttons:
- Reserve Ten More Pathfinder Society Cards
- Download Ten Most Recent Pathfinder Society Cards
I am not sure if you need to reserve first, or can just use the Download link right away, but when you can, it downloads a single page PDF containing ten ID cards.
Those cards will have a PFS number, around the middle of the card, and a confirmation code at the bottom.

I print out two copies, one I cut up, one I leave whole, and use the whole sheet to notate who I gave the individual cards to, for you I would just use a paper clip and the card as a piece with the chronicles, so they are all a bundle; and use the whole sheet just as a reminder as to whom you assigned each number. The ten numbers are typically sequential.

1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Regarding PFS - can we use scenarios from all seasons towards XP / character advancement All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.