[Community Project] Wayfinder #16 Call for Submissions


Community Use

51 to 100 of 267 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sent in my article on how outsiders view Numerian technology. Tim, just out of curiosity, how many articles have been submitted in each category so far?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

FallenDabus wrote:
Sent in my article on how outsiders view Numerian technology. Tim, just out of curiosity, how many articles have been submitted in each category so far?

Whoa, there. Still super early in the scheme of things. I don't start itemized lists until the final month. (I'm super preoccupied with Wayfinder #15 right now too....#16 is just a sparkle in my eye at the moment....or is that dust?)

That said....I count 7 submissions right now.

Tim


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Fair enough. Thanks for the update!

Grand Lodge Contributor

Template Fu wrote:
Dotting... missed the last one due to freelance commitments, so need to get back on the Wayfinder horsey again :)

Same here. I'm sad that I had to miss out on submissions and editing on the last one. Hoping to get back into it this time, and bring along some friends.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Dotting.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

My group recently started Iron Gods, so I might just have reason to think about this project after all. Let's see if I can do better than last time. ^_^

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just wanna confirm:

If I add a bunch of comments to my submissions that those will be seen by the editors? Basically, is the submission that is passed on to editors just a copy+paste of the text of what's submitted, or the original file with comments, headers, etc?

Also, for tables, how do we do the word count? Here Timitius mentions putting [table] before and after the table. Does [table]A B C // 1 2 3[/table] count as 6 words or 8, ie. does [table] count towards the word count? I figure 6 and know it's a minor detail, but figured I'd check anyways.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

Yes, generally we forward the original submission file (or a formatted copy), so your comments or notes would be attached. Fair Warning, however...if your submission needs a "bunch of comments" for the editors to navigate your entry, then I'm going to see that IMMEDIATELY in my selection review, as well. What those comments actually ARE could affect our decision to accept or reject.

Tables should be tab delimited...i.e., don't put an actual table in. If you do, we have to convert it to a tab delimited format anyway to use it. As for word count...the [table] qualifier doesn't count towards word count, no. That's only 2 words, though...not enough to trigger our wrath.

Our major issues with word count are usually someone submitting a 550 word article, a 1,100 word article, or a 1,700 word article. That sort of thing....completely nowhere NEAR a 750- or 1,500-word limit.

Also, I should note that our word count limits sort of blow up when you have a stat-block heavy article. Stat blocks waste a lot of space, so if the majority of your article is stat blocks, consider dropping the word count limit a bit. (Example: one article hit the 1500 word limit exactly...but it was ALL small stat blocks. Normally, that's a solid two pages with a half-page illustration. It ended up being 3 pages long.)

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Second article submitted. So many choices for what to submit for #3...

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Hello, Paris/Tim,

I was really jazzed to be part of Wayfinder #15, and want to continue participating in #16. I am an artist as well as a writer. Right now I'm finishing up a Bestiary submission which is coming in at ~550 words for the complete entry. I'm also drawing a picture of the monster which I would like to submit with the Bestiary entry. The drawing I'm working on is 1500x1500pixels. Does 550 words and an image a 750 word Bestiary article make? Is there some different process for submitting art (file size, format, etc)? Thanks in advance.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Holy crap!

Maybe keep it in mind as you work on Iron Gods-themed submissions and try to guessitimate your flavor & crunch accordingly?

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Holy crap! ** spoiler omitted **

Maybe keep it in mind as you work on Iron Gods-themed submissions and try to guessitimate your flavor & crunch accordingly?

(O_______________________________O)!

The Exchange

Good thing I picked up the tech type stuff I didn't have at PaizoCon (in no small part because of that spoiler above)! Haven't actually read or played Iron Gods yet, but I think I've got enough to get started.

Also, I'm interested in doing some editing (or other behind the scenes stuff) for Wayfinder, so how would I go about throwing my hat in the ring with that?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

Brian Minhinnick wrote:

Hello, Paris/Tim,

I was really jazzed to be part of Wayfinder #15, and want to continue participating in #16. I am an artist as well as a writer. Right now I'm finishing up a Bestiary submission which is coming in at ~550 words for the complete entry. I'm also drawing a picture of the monster which I would like to submit with the Bestiary entry. The drawing I'm working on is 1500x1500pixels. Does 550 words and an image a 750 word Bestiary article make? Is there some different process for submitting art (file size, format, etc)? Thanks in advance.

I am happy that you are so pumped up for this! For art, we normally maintain a roster, and I make assignments after we decide which submissions get in. If you are interested in illustrating for us, email me a link to your gallery so I. can get an idea of your style and experience level. If I see that your stuff would be a good fit for the issue, I will put you on the roster.

As far as how I do assignments, I will clue you in once you make the roster. (Seriously, It's a lot of explaining).

Lastly, art does not count toward a word count. Word count limits are set specifically to allow for a set size of illustration.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

owenstreetpress wrote:

Good thing I picked up the tech type stuff I didn't have at PaizoCon (in no small part because of that spoiler above)! Haven't actually read or played Iron Gods yet, but I think I've got enough to get started.

Also, I'm interested in doing some editing (or other behind the scenes stuff) for Wayfinder, so how would I go about throwing my hat in the ring with that?

We are in the process of restructuring our editing team. If you are interested in joining, send us an email expressing that, and we can go from there.

Tim

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Oh, I should email you about editing...

How long do I have to figure out my schedule?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kalindlara wrote:

Oh, I should email you about editing...

How long do I have to figure out my schedule?

We will be assembling the team in early to mid September.....if you are interested, send us an email expressing that interest.


I see. Thank you! ^_^


Holy cow! I only just noticed this thread was up!

Dark Archive

How are we doing on Submissions?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I mentioned upthread some Druid/Ranger animal companion / wild shape options from alien fauna and flora, via some sort of 'xenonaturalist' Archetype or Feat or whatever (which could also apply to Animal Domain Clerics, Nature Oracles, Cavaliers, Hunters or even Paladins, and if alien familiars are included, Wizards, some Sorcerers, Witches and Shamen, as well!).

This could be a fun opportunity to look through the latest Bestiary (Bestiary 5) or the Occult Bestiary for Universal Monster Rules options that aren't currently represented among animal companions, like bleed, blood rage, burn, etc. (bearing in mind to keep them balanced against the sorts of things already available, and that 'balance' ranges from the woeful bear to sexy options like tiger, velociraptor and roc. Ideally, something alien and exotic and player-made shouldn't be as good as the *best* of the best...).

Alien companions (particularly those gated off from casual use by a Feat or Archetype) could be the usual suspects of Animals, Plants and Vermin, but also funkier fare, like Aberrations, as well.

Best of all, it's a 'two-fer.' Create a monster entry, and then create a short 'X as Companion' blurb or 'If taken as a familiar, it grants a +2 to Skill Y' or 'A Xth level Wizard/Witch can take this critter as an Improved Familiar' for the better-than-tiny-animal-equivalent alien beasties. Monster entry *and* class option.

Write ups on Numeria have focused quite a bit on the robot side of things, but not nearly so much on the alien wildlife that may have escaped one of the habitat modules and managed to eke out a living in the Felldales, and even an alien herd animal, or alien carrion scavengers, or a dangerous form of alien plant-life, could make for an interesting encounter, and use the sorts of mechanics not generally used by earth-like Golarion animals, such as all-around vision, distraction or sound mimicry.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
ulgulanoth wrote:
How are we doing on Submissions?

We have some. We're still 2 and a half months away from the deadline, so it's way too soon to start counting submission types.

Although this isn't directed at ulgulanoth, the question reminded me that I need to share something:

We probably aren't going to be answering as many of the "what kinds of submissions do you need?" questions from here on out. Other magazines don't do that with their submitters. They (and we) are relying on those submitting articles to make good choices and write about things that interest them. The goal is to write something awesome, not just write something to fill a niche.

Now, I will qualify that by saying, if we are getting close to the deadline and we have a real lack of articles of a certain type, we may put out a call, but that has rarely been necessary in the past.

Given the number of our submitters who have gone on to do paid freelance work for Paizo and/or 3PPs, most of you know how to pick a topic and write a good article. New submitters need to learn that skill and, frankly, the way that happens is by taking a chance and learning from both the acceptances and the rejections.

We are a volunteer magazine. We don't pay people for their work, but we work really hard to make sure people who do work for us get noticed by folks who can and will pay. I think one of the main reasons we have such great content and such a strong track record of having folks who want to do freelance work get their start through us is that we treat all of our submitters like they are already professionals.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Cut for brevity

A question for you Paris:

If you've submitted an article, how long does it normally take before you're informed if it's been accepted or rejected? Is there any sort of guideline or rule for this? Or is it a matter of "you'll know when Wayfinder is published"?

Thanks in advance. :)

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Last issue they let us know a while before release here in the thread and by e-mail. Then there was an editing phase. That’s the normal proceedure if I’m not mistaken.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Curtisin wrote:
Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Cut for brevity

A question for you Paris:

If you've submitted an article, how long does it normally take before you're informed if it's been accepted or rejected? Is there any sort of guideline or rule for this? Or is it a matter of "you'll know when Wayfinder is published"?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey, Curtisin!

We don't select articles until after the submission deadline. Our process is to read and take notes on all the submissions, then our core editorial staff discusses them and makes the selections. While we strive to get through that as quickly as possible, it usually takes at least a few weeks.

Once we have made our selections, we focus on getting articles assigned to our volunteer editors, which usually takes a few days. After all that's done, we notify writers via email and post a list of accepted writers here and on our Facebook page.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It's not listed in the opening post, but would I be correct in guessing that you guys are still looking for ACG articles?

(ignoring the fact that I have no clue HOW I'm going to write an ACG article for Numeria...)

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Iammars wrote:

It's not listed in the opening post, but would I be correct in guessing that you guys are still looking for ACG articles?

(ignoring the fact that I have no clue HOW I'm going to write an ACG article for Numeria...)

ACG articles are definitely options for submission!


Are "ACG articles" just articles relating to the Advanced Class Guide?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

ACG also stands for the Adventure Card Game

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I usually use PACG for the card game. ^_^


Oh, derp. I should've thought of that.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Timitius wrote:

526f626f74732e20204c61736572732e204a6f696e2075732e

54686973206f6e652077696c6c206a6f696e2e

Testing a possible bestiary submission against my players tomorrow.


Would a playable race fall under Bestiary or New Rules?

My gut says bestiary but what if it were done in the ARG layout, including things such as alternate racial traits and new equipment/magic items/spells? Not to mention the slightly heftier description of personality and culture beyond "like sharp objects, gives sharp objects to others forcefully".

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

The Black Bard wrote:

Would a playable race fall under Bestiary or New Rules?

My gut says bestiary but what if it were done in the ARG layout, including things such as alternate racial traits and new equipment/magic items/spells? Not to mention the slightly heftier description of personality and culture beyond "like sharp objects, gives sharp objects to others forcefully".

I would aim for a separate article if you think it is going to exceed the 750 word limit for bestiary entries. If you do go past 750, then you will HAVE to make it 1500 words, to make it a 2-page article, as specified in our guidelines.

Good luck!

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

3 people marked this as a favorite.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION>

REMINDER: ONE MONTH LEFT FOR SUBMISSIONS!>

END TRANSMISSION>

Silver Crusade

Question here, does wayfinder claim ownership of all submissions regardless of if they're accepted or not? I mean I'll probably still submit since I did just get an idea for this, I was just moreso curious here. It'd be fun to actually write something for one of my fave areas in Golarion.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
N. Jolly wrote:
Question here, does wayfinder claim ownership of all submissions regardless of if they're accepted or not? I mean I'll probably still submit since I did just get an idea for this, I was just moreso curious here. It'd be fun to actually write something for one of my fave areas in Golarion.

Nope; it's still yours, either way. The only thing they claim (and only if the work is accepted) is the right to reprint that submission. See the linked post for details on this policy. ^_^

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Isabelle Lee wrote:
N. Jolly wrote:
Question here, does wayfinder claim ownership of all submissions regardless of if they're accepted or not? I mean I'll probably still submit since I did just get an idea for this, I was just moreso curious here. It'd be fun to actually write something for one of my fave areas in Golarion.
Nope; it's still yours, either way. The only thing they claim (and only if the work is accepted) is the right to reprint that submission. See the linked post for details on this policy. ^_^

Aces, thanks for the last reply, makes me feel a lot more comfortable about entering.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

dotting


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Patrick Curtin wrote:
dotting

Begin transmission...

SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!

End transmission...

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just a friendly reminder also to fully read and follow the guidelines when submitting your article(s). I've seen a lot of submissions without the name, contact email, and word count at the top. I've even received a few that are NOT in .doc or .docx format.

So, please follow the guidelines.


I had this idea for a system of AI-style Haunts, but it seems like other people already started collaborating on a haunts collection, so I may steer clear of that.

If I didn't, could I ask if it's alright to use Horror Adventures material in this?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Absolutely OK to use Horror Adventures material! VERY MUCH SO!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I hope to see a lot of Corruptions pop up over the next few issues.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
I hope to see a lot of Corruptions pop up over the next few issues.

Mmm, Cyborg Corruption. The more cybered up you get, the more those little nanites start mucking with your brain, and turning you into something NPCish...

Not to mention Plasma Corruption. Energy creatures a la 'The Color Out of Space,' only made of plasma energy and learning to live inside of a human(oid) nervous system, with a side-effect of the host occasionally bursting into flame.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

UPDATE....

I know we said we weren't going to do this, but I will put it out there for those still wondering what to do.

We have 30 submissions right now.

4 Bestiary
12 Class
3 Crunch
3 Fiction
2 Gazetteers
1 Flavor
3 Side Trek Seeds
2 Weal or Woe

So, you can see where things stand, and what we still need.

Little over 2 weeks left....get to it!


On the assumption I'm not the only one who would be curious and look up last issue's submission totals, here they are:

Two weeks before deadline: 22
One week: 30
One day: 63
Final total: 108

So, at the moment at least, Numeria is attracting more creative interest than the River Kingdoms.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have a bestiary entry that will be coming that I'm quite pleased with. I may have an archetype as well, but we'll see where that goes.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
I hope to see a lot of Corruptions pop up over the next few issues.

Mmm, Cyborg Corruption. The more cybered up you get, the more those little nanites start mucking with your brain, and turning you into something NPCish...

Not to mention Plasma Corruption. Energy creatures a la 'The Color Out of Space,' only made of plasma energy and learning to live inside of a human(oid) nervous system, with a side-effect of the host occasionally bursting into flame.

There is one of the corruptions I am working on and another very similar to the other...

/me shakes his fist at Set


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Regarding Plasma corruption: I strongly recommend Lost Cities of Golarion.

The chapter on the Sun Temple Colony (by the always-magnificent Brandon Hodge) has a boatload of inspiration for you. ^_^

51 to 100 of 267 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Community Use / [Community Project] Wayfinder #16 Call for Submissions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.