Ghostbusters Trailer


Movies

51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Otherwhere wrote:
Jaçinto wrote:
A trailer's job is to show what the movie is about and to get people interested in the quality of it. This trailer has failed on that.

I'm curious: Are you someone who's seen the original(s), and have some basis of comparison? Or are you simply going off of THIS trailer, with no other knowledge of what Ghostbusters could be?

Like I said, I'd be interested in seeing how people who never saw the first ones feel about it.

Ghostbusters 1 and 2 are some of my favourite movies of all time. I have a closet full of the 80s toys, I own the NES and Xbox games, I regularly watch the animated series, I own both movies and just watched them again tonight with my niece and nephew.

Liberty's Edge

I watched the trailer still somewhat hopeful. When it finished and I realized I hadn't even smiled once... not looking forward to this.

What basically hit me was that the trailer started out sounding like the movie is a sequel, then it becomes obvious that it's a remake. But it was... flat. Meh-ish is the best thing I can say about it.

Sad.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Otherwhere wrote:
RHMG Animator wrote:
Otherwhere wrote:

...

Dan Aykroyd is one of the writers on it, so I'm surprised.

...

Dan Aykroyd is the Ghostbuster's IP holder, So NO ONE can make a Ghostbusters movie, unless he OKs it.
I was surprised that the trailer didn't seem funnier given that Dan Aykroyd - who co-wrote the first one - also wrote this. I think he's brilliant! Which is why I suspect the fault is with the people who edited the trailer rather than the movie itself, but until more is released, there's no way to know.

To be fair, Akroyd is absolutely capable of writing some complete crap. Looking in your direction, Coneheads...

Honestly though, as a fan of the original movies (I first saw Ghostbusters when I was around 7, I've had them on tape and DVD, and loved every Ghostbusters cartoon I've seen, including the hilariously "hip and edgy" Extreme Ghostbusters...), I'm still hopeful about this film.

Melissa McCarthy is very hit and miss for me, I've generally disliked her in most films where she gets typecast as the "She's fat and loud so she's funny" character, but she put in a solid performance in St Vincent alongside Bill Murray, and the film she did with Paul Feig last year, Spy, was something I expected to be absolutely terrible and yet became one of my favourite films of the year, because the way they played her was that she was clever, and she was damn good at her job, but people underestimated her because of her looks. Kristen Wiig I only really know for her voicework in How to Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me, but I liked what she did there well enough. Leslie Jones I've never encountered before, but I'm willing to give her a try, Kate McKinnon I think is genuinely funny. And while I may not like most of Paul Feig's films, like I said, he surprised me with Spy, so I'm hoping he can do the same here (plus he directed parts of Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, Weeds, Parks and Recreation, The Office and Bored to Death, and played Mr Pool the science teacher in Season 1 of Sabrina the Teenage Witch).

... Plus I can't resist the eye candy of Chris Hemsworth in a tight white shirt. Mmmmmm. I'm glad they got him and didn't settle for Liam, or even the least popular Hemsworth, Luke (admittedly, neither of them are bad actors, Liam was great in The Dressmaker, and Luke was pretty good in the surprisingly well made Australian sci-fi film Infini).


Lemmy wrote:
Irontruth wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
If you think these 4 comedians in the new film are any less talented than the original cast then you're just wrong.
Since this is a subjective matter, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
Kristen Wig and Melissa McCarthy are objectively funny. They've both anchored successful comedies.

Successful =/= Funny. Carrot Top is successful. "Grown Ups" was a successful movie... Are you saying they're objectively funny too? And notice that you didn't just say they are funny... You said they're just as funny as the original cast, which is a much bigger statement.

And there is no such such as "objectively funny" since humor is a matter of taste. It's funny for some people... And not funny at all for others... Because it's a subjective matter.

You can go for "they are funny to someone, so they are objectively funny" angle, but at that point, you're just discussing semantics.

Seriously, why can't we just agree to disagree? You go ahead thinking these gals are just as funny as the original cast, and I go ahead thinking they don't come even close. Everyone is happy.

because neither of you have seen the movie yet, and I strongly doubt you will stop complaining about the movie at any rate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jaçinto wrote:
Otherwhere wrote:
Jaçinto wrote:
A trailer's job is to show what the movie is about and to get people interested in the quality of it. This trailer has failed on that.

I'm curious: Are you someone who's seen the original(s), and have some basis of comparison? Or are you simply going off of THIS trailer, with no other knowledge of what Ghostbusters could be?

Like I said, I'd be interested in seeing how people who never saw the first ones feel about it.

Ghostbusters 1 and 2 are some of my favourite movies of all time. I have a closet full of the 80s toys, I own the NES and Xbox games, I regularly watch the animated series, I own both movies and just watched them again tonight with my niece and nephew.

niiiiiice.

But even you have to admit the movie and what came after it are the result of marketing and unrestrained greed with a (large) side of ego.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Lorewalker wrote:
You know, funny thing, Zeddmore was my favorite character. He was so damned pragmatic/stoic about the whole thing. He was a rock against the zany sea. He wasn't a soldier or a scientist, he was just someone looking for a paycheck who stepped up when the time came for stepping up.

Winston and Egon, hands down my two favorites.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As someone who never really got anything out of Ghostbusters except "pretty fun" and lots of sequel jokes from Homestuck: I'm going in.

...

Hey, look, an Angry Birds trailer in the related—no! Focus, KC, focus!

...

Okay, video froze. Erm. Internet literally shut off. Ignore this part.

...

Okay, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but did they really have to make the black character "the black character" twice in a row? I mean, come on. They went to the trouble of making sure they got three white people and one black person, just like before. I guess having the "straight-talking layman" not be the black person would just be too drastic a change.

...

Okay, what the hell, guys? That wasn't horrible or super funny. It was a trailer. Pretty bog-standard trailer style, too. Comedy trailers are in general hard to do because you don't want to blow the good jokes (and because comedic timing is way harder to get across in a short burst).

So why is everyone engaged in this death match over whether the movie will be great or awful? As of now, we know nothing. At best, you can say, "Oh, I don't like those comedians in their other work, this movie probably isn't for me." And even with that, you might be wrong—I know people who despise Josh Gad but didn't really mind Frozen's Olaf, to use a silly example.

Geez. Second trailer's not even out and people are already panicking.

Al that said, I will say that I liked the actresses'...style? I bought them as Ghostbusters. They can pull off the "kooky dumbass scientist nerds" bit. Now let's see if they can do it and also be funny.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:

As someone who never really got anything out of Ghostbusters except "pretty fun" and lots of sequel jokes from Homestuck: I'm going in.

...

Hey, look, an Angry Birds trailer in the related—no! Focus, KC, focus!

...

Okay, video froze. Erm. Internet literally shut off. Ignore this part.

...

Okay, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but did they really have to make the black character "the black character" twice in a row? I mean, come on. They went to the trouble of making sure they got three white people and one black person, just like before. I guess having the "straight-talking layman" not be the black person would just be too drastic a change.

...

Okay, what the hell, guys? That wasn't horrible or super funny. It was a trailer. Pretty bog-standard trailer style, too. Comedy trailers are in general hard to do because you don't want to blow the good jokes (and because comedic timing is way harder to get across in a short burst).

So why is everyone engaged in this death match over whether the movie will be great or awful? As of now, we know nothing. At best, you can say, "Oh, I don't like those comedians in their other work, this movie probably isn't for me." And even with that, you might be wrong—I know people who despise Josh Gad but didn't really mind Frozen's Olaf, to use a silly example.

Geez. Second trailer's not even out and people are already panicking.

Al that said, I will say that I liked the actresses'...style? I bought them as Ghostbusters. They can pull off the "kooky dumbass scientist nerds" bit. Now let's see if they can do it and also be funny.

Pretty much my attitude towards it. I mean I'd see it even if I was sure it's going to be rubbish, because I need to review it anyway, but the trailer hasn't got me feeling overly negative or positive. I'm just looking forward to going in, taking it for what it is, and seeing what they do with it.


Lemmy wrote:
Irontruth wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
If you think these 4 comedians in the new film are any less talented than the original cast then you're just wrong.
Since this is a subjective matter, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
Kristen Wig and Melissa McCarthy are objectively funny. They've both anchored successful comedies.

Successful =/= Funny. Carrot Top is successful. "Grown Ups" was a successful movie... Are you saying they're objectively funny too? And notice that you didn't just say they are funny... You said they're just as funny as the original cast, which is a much bigger statement.

And there is no such such as "objectively funny" since humor is a matter of taste. It's funny for some people... And not funny at all for others... Because it's a subjective matter.

You can go for "they are funny to someone, so they are objectively funny" angle, but at that point, you're just discussing semantics.

Seriously, why can't we just agree to disagree? You go ahead thinking these gals are just as funny as the original cast, and I go ahead thinking they don't come even close. Everyone is happy.

First off, I never said "just as funny" (bolded portion) or ever compared them to the original cast. I have no interest in it and think it's pointless. If you want to lie and claim I did say that, I'm going to call b*!#@!@*. If you want to debate that with someone else, feel free.

Second, you can dislike these women. You can dislike the movie. You are fully entitled to do so. What I'm tired of is people pre-judging a movie that hasn't even been released yet (no one has seen the finished product, yet), based purely on the gender of the actors.

If you want to say the trailer looked boring... you are fully entitled to that opinion. I don't think it was as bad as people are saying (go rewatch the original trailer btw, it's not that great, nostalgia aside). I'm just tired of people saying "oh, it's starring women, it'll suck".

I'm not saying you have to like it. I'm not saying you even have to give it a chance. I'm just saying, don't use the gender of the cast as an excuse. Does that sound like an unreasonable request?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We know Melissa McCarthy is in it, and that's enough. She is one of the most offensively unfunny comedians I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing attempt to act in a film.

Every joke she touches withers and dies on the vine while the people acting across from her desperately try to save it from the horrid abuse she put the poor thing through.

The other three seem average, at least, not striking me as terribly good, but nothing stuck out as bad either.

Which is terrible, because it would take a trio of true comedic geniuses to make you able to ignore the terrifying, humor devouring black hole that is Melissa McCarthy.

On a GOOD day she makes the worst movies starring Will Ferrel or Ben Stiller and their ilk look like masterpieces, and neither of them are exactly hilarious on a regular basis to begin with.

I've seen Identity Thief and I'm pretty sure I'd rather smash my left nut with a claw hammer before watching another movie with her in it.

Scarab Sages

I never knew her name before - just that I always found her quite off-turning in every trailer I've seen her in (mind you, a lot of her movies I wouldn't have been interested in regardless). What Tinkergoth had to say about her in Spy was news to me - certainly, the trailer made it look like she was the same off-turning gimmick character (whoever first introduced that word to this thread, thank you so much for helping verbalize my reaction), which did indeed guarantee my disinterest.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sundakan wrote:

We know Melissa McCarthy is in it, and that's enough. She is one of the most offensively unfunny comedians I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing attempt to act in a film.

Every joke she touches withers and dies on the vine while the people acting across from her desperately try to save it from the horrid abuse she put the poor thing through.

The other three seem average, at least, not striking me as terribly good, but nothing stuck out as bad either.

Which is terrible, because it would take a trio of true comedic geniuses to make you able to ignore the terrifying, humor devouring black hole that is Melissa McCarthy.

On a GOOD day she makes the worst movies starring Will Ferrel or Ben Stiller and their ilk look like masterpieces, and neither of them are exactly hilarious on a regular basis to begin with.

I've seen Identity Thief and I'm pretty sure I'd rather smash my left nut with a claw hammer before watching another movie with her in it.

That was pretty much how I felt about her before St Vincent and Spy. I'd recommend both of those. I still don't like her films usually, but I'm beginning to suspect the issue is her being the go to for the "she's fat and stupid so let's all laugh at her" character, and not being given a whole lot to work with. Spy is still very over the top offensive, but it's much more fun watching her actually turn out to be good at what she does despite what the other characters expect from her. The scenes with her and Rose Byrne getting up in each others faces get really intense, which just makes it funnier.


I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
I never knew her name before - just that I always found her quite off-turning in every trailer I've seen her in (mind you, a lot of her movies I wouldn't have been interested in regardless). What Tinkergoth had to say about her in Spy was news to me - certainly, the trailer made it look like she was the same off-turning gimmick character (whoever first introduced that word to this thread, thank you so much for helping verbalize my reaction), which did indeed guarantee my disinterest.

Yeah. Trailer for Spy had me cringing the whole way through it, apart from the bits with Jason Statham. I expected to hate it. Only went to see it because we were reviewing it on the show that week. Barely stopped laughing.


Next time I run out of things to watch, I may give one of them a look.

The hammer will be at the ready though.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Whoever puts the trailers together may need to go back to the drawing board with their design philosophy.

This may be a dated reference, but I remember that after seeing the trailers for Bicentennial Man, the last thing I expected going into the theater was a tear-jerker (let alone a quasi-prescient one).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sundakan wrote:

Next time I run out of things to watch, I may give one of them a look.

The hammer will be at the ready though.

St Vincent is the biggest departure from the norm for her. Spy still has similar humour to her other movies, the difference is that she isn't really the butt of the joke for most of it.

St Vincent is actually a comedy-drama, and while her role is as a supporting character, she handles the portrayal of a single mother dealing with a rough divorce and trying to balance caring for her son with her work as a medical tech surprisingly well. She's funny when she needs to be, but she's a very sympathetic character.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tinkergoth wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
I never knew her name before - just that I always found her quite off-turning in every trailer I've seen her in (mind you, a lot of her movies I wouldn't have been interested in regardless). What Tinkergoth had to say about her in Spy was news to me - certainly, the trailer made it look like she was the same off-turning gimmick character (whoever first introduced that word to this thread, thank you so much for helping verbalize my reaction), which did indeed guarantee my disinterest.
Yeah. Trailer for Spy had me cringing the whole way through it, apart from the bits with Jason Statham. I expected to hate it. Only went to see it because we were reviewing it on the show that week. Barely stopped laughing.

I'm kind of the opposite. I thought the trailer was hilarious for Spy and even moreso for Identity Theft. Just the core concept looked like gold.

And they both were 'close'... but the vile language and crude raunchiness killed both the movies for me. I see them both as missed opportunities and am REALLY concerned that's what Ghostbusters will be. The 'joke' about slime in cracks is a serious red flag for me.

Gotta wait to hear more. If it's a sequel like the trailer hints at... I may give it a shot. If it's a reboot with a raunchier cast... I'm out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Let's be real here, Ghostbusters was pretty raunchy to begin with. :P


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Ghostbusters was never a kid's movie about busting ghosts in the first place. That's like saying 28 Days Later was about zombies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sundakan wrote:

We know Melissa McCarthy is in it, and that's enough. She is one of the most offensively unfunny comedians I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing attempt to act in a film.

Every joke she touches withers and dies on the vine while the people acting across from her desperately try to save it from the horrid abuse she put the poor thing through.

The other three seem average, at least, not striking me as terribly good, but nothing stuck out as bad either.

Which is terrible, because it would take a trio of true comedic geniuses to make you able to ignore the terrifying, humor devouring black hole that is Melissa McCarthy.

On a GOOD day she makes the worst movies starring Will Ferrel or Ben Stiller and their ilk look like masterpieces, and neither of them are exactly hilarious on a regular basis to begin with.

I've seen Identity Thief and I'm pretty sure I'd rather smash my left nut with a claw hammer before watching another movie with her in it.

she's made some bad movies.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Let's be real here, Ghostbusters was pretty raunchy to begin with. :P

indeed, this is one of the reasons why I find criticism of any new Ghostbusters film to be hard to swallow. People look at the original (not 2) with glasses so rose colored they could have kid named Steven. It wasn't a fun, family romp. It wasn't a marvelously acted Sci fi adventure. It wasn't an unflinching look at the lives of men who find out ghosts are real and team up to save humanity. It is a comedic love letter to New York from the cast and friends of Saturday night live that had (for the time period) some rather dirty jokes and ahead of its time (still f%*~ing AMAZING) special effects. It's the ultimate buddy movie of the time period. This isn't to say it's not a good movie. It is a classic. But not for the reasons most fans seem to think it is. I don't think it can ever be done again - it's why 2 was so different(which actually was about saving New York from ghosts), why the animated series was so different(a marvelously animated Sci fi adventure), and why it's been in development hell for so long(and cast and friends has unfortunately moved on in one way or another).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Let's be real here, Ghostbusters was pretty raunchy to begin with. :P

Different eras.

Ghostbusters had some adult humor in it, but it was a much subtler humor at the time. Much like a lot of other 'kids' movies today, there were some sly jokes tossed in for the adults that kids didn't understand.

Compare that to something like... Police Academy? Same era, Nudity and swearing galore, still found itself as a Saturday morning cartoon.

Ghostbusters wasn't strickly a 'kids' movie... but it wasn't a raunch-fest either.

If they keep the humor around the same level as the original, i'll be happy. If they kick it up to Identity Theft level... i'll be very disappointed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
phantom1592 wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Let's be real here, Ghostbusters was pretty raunchy to begin with. :P

Different eras.

Ghostbusters had some adult humor in it, but it was a much subtler humor at the time. Much like a lot of other 'kids' movies today, there were some sly jokes tossed in for the adults that kids didn't understand.

Compare that to something like... Police Academy? Same era, Nudity and swearing galore, still found itself as a Saturday morning cartoon.

Ghostbusters wasn't strickly a 'kids' movie... but it wasn't a raunch-fest either.

If they keep the humor around the same level as the original, i'll be happy. If they kick it up to Identity Theft level... i'll be very disappointed.

I'd say prepare to be disappointed then. Feig's films tend towards the kind of humour you seem to dislike.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
phantom1592 wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Let's be real here, Ghostbusters was pretty raunchy to begin with. :P

Different eras.

Ghostbusters had some adult humor in it, but it was a much subtler humor at the time. Much like a lot of other 'kids' movies today, there were some sly jokes tossed in for the adults that kids didn't understand.

Compare that to something like... Police Academy? Same era, Nudity and swearing galore, still found itself as a Saturday morning cartoon.

Ghostbusters wasn't strickly a 'kids' movie... but it wasn't a raunch-fest either.

If they keep the humor around the same level as the original, i'll be happy. If they kick it up to Identity Theft level... i'll be very disappointed.

SOME adult humor?

There is a woman having air sex complete with simulated orgasm as a major part of the film.

She is not wearing a bra. You can see her(albeit humble) breasts through her gauze-like shirt without a problem.

Not different eras, rose colored glasses.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:

SOME adult humor?

There is a woman having air sex complete with simulated orgasm as a major part of the film.

She is not wearing a bra. You can see her(albeit humble) breasts through her gauze-like shirt without a problem.

Not different eras, rose colored glasses.

Ah yes, a formative moment in the life of young Tinkergoth. That and Jennifer Connolly riding that rocking horse in Career Opportunities. I'm still crushing hard on both those ladies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
because neither of you have seen the movie yet, and I strongly doubt you will stop complaining about the movie at any rate.

Wow... How could we judge a movie based on its trailer? It's not like trailers are supposed to show what the movie'll be like and pique people's interest... Nope. They are just a random assortment of scenes.

¬¬'


Irontruth wrote:
First off, I never said "just as funny" (bolded portion) or ever compared them to the original cast. I have no interest in it and think it's pointless. If you want to lie and claim I did say that, I'm going to call b+~~%~~@. If you want to debate that with someone else, feel free.

What...?

Irontruth wrote:
If you think these 4 comedians in the new film are any less talented than the original cast then you're just wrong.

There! You literally said that if I think they are any less talented as the original cast, "I'm just wrong". C'mon! It's right there in the post you quoted! Later, you went as far as to say that they are objectively funny.

Irontruth wrote:

Second, you can dislike these women. You can dislike the movie. You are fully entitled to do so. What I'm tired of is people pre-judging a movie that hasn't even been released yet (no one has seen the finished product, yet), based purely on the gender of the actors.

If you want to say the trailer looked boring... you are fully entitled to that opinion. I don't think it was as bad as people are saying (go rewatch the original trailer btw, it's not that great, nostalgia aside). I'm just tired of people saying "oh, it's starring women, it'll suck".

I'm not saying you have to like it. I'm not saying you even have to give it a chance. I'm just saying, don't use the gender of the cast as an excuse. Does that sound like an unreasonable request?

Again... What?

Seriously? Are you so eager to assume everyone is a bigot that you don't even bother to read what they write anymore and instead just put words in people's mouth so they fit your narrative?

Here... Let's read what I actually wrote:

Me, earlier wrote:
I don't care what gender the characters are... I just don't think any of these actresses are particularly funny or in-synch with each other... I think this movie will suck because its cast is not very funny and its writers have no idea of what made the original Ghostbusters great. The producers just took a famous franchise, hired a mediocre cast, added a pointless gimmick and decided that was good enough.

How does that translate to "I think the movie will suck because they are female"? That's basically the opposite of what I said! I even added a point where I said changing the gender of the characters in a movie or story isn't necessarily bad!

If you're going to get offended over nothing and accuse me of bigotry, at least be honest about it and read and reply to what I actually wrote!

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I actually dug up my ancient VHS with Ghostbusters and actually found out I have a functioning VHS player in my basement. So I watched the movie. And, honestly, it didn't make me laugh once. Once.

So I guess that they are just continuing with the tradition.

Ok that part with the ghost librarian shushing them was funny.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Cole Deschain wrote:
Lorewalker wrote:
You know, funny thing, Zeddmore was my favorite character. He was so damned pragmatic/stoic about the whole thing. He was a rock against the zany sea. He wasn't a soldier or a scientist, he was just someone looking for a paycheck who stepped up when the time came for stepping up.
Winston and Egon, hands down my two favorites.

Same here.

Just curious, it looks like Chris Helmsworth is eye candy. I never saw Annie Potts as eye candy (and it's my understanding they fill the same role.) Amusing.

And no, I've less desire to see this than I did the Fog remake.


Matthew Morris wrote:


Just curious, it looks like Chris Helmsworth is eye candy. I never saw Annie Potts as eye candy (and it's my understanding they fill the same role.) Amusing.

She definitely wasn't in the first movie, but I think Annie Potts was actually pretty attractive back in the day. Just not done up as Janine and doing her obnoxious accent.

(Something they actually made into a plot point in the cartoon, oddly enough.)

As for the trailer itself, my reaction was pretty "meh" but my wife really liked it. I'm willing to hold off on judgement until we have more to go on.


I've got an old DVD set of GB and GB2, and I still enjoy watching them. I love Bill Murray's Venkman. I love the interplay between Ray and Egon. I love Rick Moranis' nerdy accountant/lawyer. I love Sigourney Weaver in these. They've got some classic comedic moments. Good stuff!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Okay, I just decided to look up the original trailer for Ghostbusters on Youtube. And honestly... It's kind of not like the movie. It's missing some of the best jokes, barely shows Zeddmore (he doesn't even have a speaking role in the trailer!), and is taking itself very seriously. Don't believe me? Look at it.

Here you go.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that you can't always just judge off of one trailer.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Trailers from the 80s were bad tho.

But I do agree with you. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lemmy wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
because neither of you have seen the movie yet, and I strongly doubt you will stop complaining about the movie at any rate.

Wow... How could we judge a movie based on its trailer? It's not like trailers are supposed to show what the movie'll be like and pique people's interest... Nope. They are just a random assortment of scenes.

¬¬'

Several movies have trailers that have nothing to do with the film whatsoever when they aren't giving the film away.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tinkergoth wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

SOME adult humor?

There is a woman having air sex complete with simulated orgasm as a major part of the film.

She is not wearing a bra. You can see her(albeit humble) breasts through her gauze-like shirt without a problem.

Not different eras, rose colored glasses.

Ah yes, a formative moment in the life of young Tinkergoth. That and Jennifer Connolly riding that rocking horse in Career Opportunities. I'm still crushing hard on both those ladies.

Between this and your Hemsworth comment above, we have very similar tastes. :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
mourge40k wrote:

Okay, I just decided to look up the original trailer for Ghostbusters on Youtube. And honestly... It's kind of not like the movie. It's missing some of the best jokes, barely shows Zeddmore (he doesn't even have a speaking role in the trailer!), and is taking itself very seriously. Don't believe me? Look at it.

Here you go.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that you can't always just judge off of one trailer.

also this.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

As another example of McCarthy playing well against type, may I suggest The Heat?


MeanDM wrote:
As another example of McCarthy playing well against type, may I suggest The Heat?

that movie was awful.

Liberty's Edge

The trailer for the original undersells the comedy because the movie more or less plays it's premise straight and relies on the interplay of the characters for laughs. It doesn't need to constantly scream "I'm a comedy!" because no sane person in 1983 would look at a movie staring Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Dan Akroid and thing it was anything other than a comedy.

The new one needs to cinstantly remind the viewers it's a comedy because the stars are just not funny.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
phantom1592 wrote:
Ghostbusters had some adult humor in it, but it was a much subtler humor at the time. Much like a lot of other 'kids' movies today, there were some sly jokes tossed in for the adults that kids didn't understand.

I'm sorry, but subtlety went out the door when a ghost gave one of them a blowjob.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kalshane wrote:
She definitely wasn't in the first movie, but I think Annie Potts was actually pretty attractive back in the day. Just not done up as Janine and doing her obnoxious accent.

Yeah, there's a world of difference between her in Ghostbusters and in Pretty in Pink or Designing Women.


Actually, two of the stars are pretty funny, Kristen Wiig and (especially) Kate McKinnon.

Unfortunately, this thing looks to be wasting their talents, as well as bogging them down with Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones (possibly the worst SNL performer of all time).


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
MeanDM wrote:
As another example of McCarthy playing well against type, may I suggest The Heat?
that movie was awful.

Huh. I liked it, and we often seem to have similar tastes. *shrug*


mourge40k wrote:

Okay, I just decided to look up the original trailer for Ghostbusters on Youtube. And honestly... It's kind of not like the movie. It's missing some of the best jokes, barely shows Zeddmore (he doesn't even have a speaking role in the trailer!), and is taking itself very seriously. Don't believe me? Look at it.

Here you go.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that you can't always just judge off of one trailer.

Freehold DM wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
because neither of you have seen the movie yet, and I strongly doubt you will stop complaining about the movie at any rate.

Wow... How could we judge a movie based on its trailer? It's not like trailers are supposed to show what the movie'll be like and pique people's interest... Nope. They are just a random assortment of scenes.

¬¬'

Several movies have trailers that have nothing to do with the film whatsoever when they aren't giving the film away.

True, but the majority of them give you at least a somewhat accurate picture of the movie. Acting like the trailer doesn't tell us anything about the movie is disingenuous. If that were the case, then you saying the movie looks good means nothing as well.

Dark Archive

Matthew Morris wrote:
And no, I've less desire to see this than I did the Fog remake.

HAHAHAHA -uuggghhh.

I remember being sick one day and being home from work. The Fog remake came on in the afternoon and I watched it/tried to watch it. I regretted being home, I regretted being sick, I regretted turning on the TV, I regretted my cable service, I regretted waiting for a payoff and then after I realized that the time spent watching the remake of the Fog was time taken off my life clock putting me minutes closer to my eventual demise.

As to this movie - it just seems empty. No chemistry, no spooky-fun (of the original, or any other spooky-fun movie), and not funny. So far Holtzmann seems like the only remotely interesting character reminiscent of the weirdness and geekiness of the original cast.

Looks like s+@%, but who knows - maybe after more trailers?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Norman Osborne wrote:
phantom1592 wrote:
Ghostbusters had some adult humor in it, but it was a much subtler humor at the time. Much like a lot of other 'kids' movies today, there were some sly jokes tossed in for the adults that kids didn't understand.

I'm sorry, but subtlety went out the door when a ghost gave one of them a blowjob.

To an adult eyes sure... but even that was pretty subtle for a kid to see. The ghost lady was hovering... then completely invisible.

Belt gets undone on it's own... Ray gets a weird look on his face. To the average 8 year old... they wouldn't have a clue what just happened.

There were multiple quotes from Ivan about how a lot of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor because they wanted to keep it as 'family friendly' as possible.

Again... compared to something like Police Academy or the Vacation movies?? this was REALLY tame. Ghostbusters was a solid PG in a time before PG-13, and outside of that one scene (that's part of a 'time passes' montage) I think it would still get the PG rating today.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was pretty young when I recognized what that meant.

Also, are we forgetting the whole "two ghost-possessed people have to literally bang to make the apocalypse thing happen" plot point? :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Related, but off topic. So, in light of this thread I started watching GB videos on Youtube. Watched the Stay Puft Marshmallow man part...

We had some kids wandering around the house...and all of them were wondering...what is a Marshmallow man.

They also didn't know why their was a thing made out of Marshmallows.

Makes you realize how old the original is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:

I was pretty young when I recognized what that meant.

Also, are we forgetting the whole "two ghost-possessed people have to literally bang to make the apocalypse thing happen" plot point? :P

Also off screen. If we have to discount every movie where someone has sex off screen... it's going to cut out a LOT of shows.

They kept that sex very ambiguous. The prophecy was that they had to get together... they meet... Moranis has a goofy look on his face, but they are both still completely clothed.

Just them being in the same area could have opened the gate for Gozer. At least as far as the 8 year old mentalities are concerned. This was a great example of how to make a movie for multiple audiences.

GreyWolfLord wrote:

Related, but off topic. So, in light of this thread I started watching GB videos on Youtube. Watched the Stay Puft Marshmallow man part...

We had some kids wandering around the house...and all of them were wondering...what is a Marshmallow man.

They also didn't know why their was a thing made out of Marshmallows.

Makes you realize how old the original is.

That surprises me... HULU seriously limits my commercial exposure now, but are there not anymore stupid goofy corporate mascots? The Chester Cheetahs and Captain Crunches?

I could have sworn that wasn't a 'days gone by' concept... is that really not a thing anymore??

/climbs into rocking chair


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
GreyWolfLord wrote:

Related, but off topic. So, in light of this thread I started watching GB videos on Youtube. Watched the Stay Puft Marshmallow man part...

We had some kids wandering around the house...and all of them were wondering...what is a Marshmallow man.

They also didn't know why their was a thing made out of Marshmallows.

Makes you realize how old the original is.

A few years back, while TAing a undergrad biology lab. I made a joke referencing one of the Mad Max movies and got a blank stare from most folks (and at least some students that seemed to think "Thunderdome" was the actual appropriate technical term for the enclosure our pillbugs were in. I felt very old to say the least :(

51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Ghostbusters Trailer All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.