Let's guess James Jacobs' Secret Project


Paizo General Discussion

451 to 500 of 523 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
SquirrelyOgre wrote:
"Oh, baby, it's chompin time."

and the classic ballad "Hold You in My Tiny Arms"


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
One down, ??? to go;)

Don't worry, by the time all the existing secret projects are revealed, I'm certain he'll be working on new secret projects.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Maybe his new secret project is the delineation and listing of future secret projects!

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

How about this one,
(I hope it wasn't mentioned before, 'cause I didn't read the whole thread) from july 2010...

Quote:


Dryder wrote:

I found this in SINS OF THE SAVIORS:"The Scribbler took this as a sign that Lamashtu’s designs on the region are of great importance, and rightly so,
but for now the Mother of Monsters has chosen to keep her plans
for the Lost Coast a secret."

I Wonder, if we can expect another AP or Module, dealing with Lamashtus Plans on the Region?

Quote:


James Jacobs wrote:

Lamashtu's plans for the Lost Coast are still secret. You've encountered a super-deep easter egg that I put into the adventure to foreshadow some stuff I've got planned for the Lost Coast in an upcoming product... a product that's still quite a ways off.

For now, though, think of it only as the ominous storm clouds on the horizon...

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Dryder, that would fit with the ten year time frame that was mentioned.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*cue the ominous music...*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

JJ acting as a consultant on an Obsidian isometric CRPG based in Golarion using the Pillars engine would solidify it as the most anticipated video game of my 30-odd years of life on this planet. Please let that be a possibility.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

Consulting is sweet, anyhow. JJ could now have surf and turf every day... expensable!!!!!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

The Pillars engine worked because it was a love letter to the Infinity engine games, but I'm not going to buy 2.5D forever. The level of immersion in Pillars was an order of magnitude down from games like NWN2 or Dragon Age that actually allow for full cinematic cutscenes. I'm not sure I will buy in to another 2.5D only game. I've seen enough of little dudes marching around on screen ad infinitum.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Dryder wrote:

How about this one,

(I hope it wasn't mentioned before, 'cause I didn't read the whole thread) from july 2010...

Quote:


Dryder wrote:

I found this in SINS OF THE SAVIORS:"The Scribbler took this as a sign that Lamashtu’s designs on the region are of great importance, and rightly so,
but for now the Mother of Monsters has chosen to keep her plans
for the Lost Coast a secret."

I Wonder, if we can expect another AP or Module, dealing with Lamashtus Plans on the Region?

Quote:


James Jacobs wrote:

Lamashtu's plans for the Lost Coast are still secret. You've encountered a super-deep easter egg that I put into the adventure to foreshadow some stuff I've got planned for the Lost Coast in an upcoming product... a product that's still quite a ways off.

For now, though, think of it only as the ominous storm clouds on the horizon...

You might be very much on to something here! But I doubt that it is "just" going to be another adventure path.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Maybe Jacobsaurus is working on how to free Mikaze from the Pandorica?


He's now working on the KMS (Kyra-Merisiel-Seoni) line of high fashion clothing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Hook Mountain Massacre: The Musical!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Maybe Jacobsaurus is working on how to free Mikaze from the Pandorica?

I will pledge my sword to this cause!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Nah, no need to commit JJ to that. I have it on good authority that the Pandorica will open.

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Samy wrote:
The Pillars engine worked because it was a love letter to the Infinity engine games, but I'm not going to buy 2.5D forever. The level of immersion in Pillars was an order of magnitude down from games like NWN2 or Dragon Age that actually allow for full cinematic cutscenes. I'm not sure I will buy in to another 2.5D only game. I've seen enough of little dudes marching around on screen ad infinitum.

I on the other hand am on the opposite end of this. I love Neverwinter Nights 1 and continue to play it to this day, but NWN2 I never even bothered completing the single-player, much less any of the expansions, and I have yet to touch Dragon Age and don't own any of the sequels.

More games like NWN1 and Pillars of Eternity will be must-buys for me, only second to deliberately-retro-styled games like Axiom Verge and Undertale. Newer-styled games like DA, NWN2, Mass Effect, and so forth just hold no interest for me. Something that I can't quite put my finger on but is vital to my enjoyment of the game is lost in the "full cinematic" environment, something that older-style games retain.

To each their own =)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Newer games like Wasteland 2 and the latest Divine Divinity did a pretty good job on PC games and perspective in my eyes.

For a Pathfinder PC game, being able to view it from above is important i think. After all you have a party of PCs and want to place them strategically.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Newer-styled games like DA, NWN2, Mass Effect, and so forth just hold no interest for me. Something that I can't quite put my finger on but is vital to my enjoyment of the game is lost in the "full cinematic" environment

That attitude boggles me so much as it's 180 degrees from mine, but I respect your opinion. I wonder which of us is in the majority. (And even if it's the cinematic people, are we enough of a majority to make the better graphics investment economically viable.)


Having AP's be published for both a PF and a 5e to increase sales?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Samy wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Newer-styled games like DA, NWN2, Mass Effect, and so forth just hold no interest for me. Something that I can't quite put my finger on but is vital to my enjoyment of the game is lost in the "full cinematic" environment
That attitude boggles me so much as it's 180 degrees from mine, but I respect your opinion. I wonder which of us is in the majority. (And even if it's the cinematic people, are we enough of a majority to make the better graphics investment economically viable.)

I would say, given the current gaming market, that your group is a definite majority - the vast trend of major publishers is toward higher-end graphics and largely cinematic styled gameplay.

I on the other hand am in the indie market's core demographic, which by its very nature is a smaller, more focused slice of the economic pie.

To put it in perspective:
I can think of one console game post-PS2/GameCube era that has drawn my attention positively, and that's Xenoblade Chronicles, and I don't even own a Wii/WiiU (yet) to play it on. I don't own any "modern" consoles, just a PS2 and a couple of Nintendo handheld systems (a DS and a 2DS, and I might shell out for a New3DS this fall, but maybe not).

My favorite games of all time are either SNES-era classics - usually games from the JRPG Heyday such as Chrono Trigger, FF6, Earthbound, and Mario RPG - or indie/low-budget Steam games, such as the above-mentioned retro-style games or cult favorites like Psychonauts. JRPGs tend to be my bread-and-butter as far as gaming goes, followed by adventure games, MetroidVania, platformers, and Pokemon.

Part of this, no doubt, is that the "default" game mode of the modern day tends to be the FPS, which... well, to be blunt, I hate FPSs, with very very very few exceptions (Metroid Prime series!). Compare back in the 90s, where the "default" game was the 2D sidescrolling platformer, which I've always been a fan of. I'm not a huge fan of most WRPGs either - Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher, Demon/Dark Souls, etc. - and those seem to be a big chunk of the modern market also.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I was initially going to get into a deeper discussion on the nature of CRPGs today, but then I noticed what thread this is. Maybe I will stop derailing.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

We could make another thread about that.
Feedback on a possible Pathfinder PCRPG might be really useful and prevent some desasters as well as disappointments.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have to admit, my biggest want out of anything like that is not so much anything about the game itself, but a hope that it comes with a toolset/builder similar to NWN1, one that's fairly flexible while remaining user-friendly (unlike NWN2's toolset, which was an unholy mess), and a capability for making online persistent worlds, again like NWN1 could do.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Clearly the answer is a Casmaron Campaign Setting Hardcover. That is so obvious. :D /me waits for James to come shoot down the idea. :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
I have to admit, my biggest want out of anything like that is not so much anything about the game itself, but a hope that it comes with a toolset/builder similar to NWN1, one that's fairly flexible while remaining user-friendly (unlike NWN2's toolset, which was an unholy mess), and a capability for making online persistent worlds, again like NWN1 could do.

That´s exactly what i hoped for Pathfinder online to have been.

Still would be nice and i think NWN 1 did a really good job there too.
Would Paizo do something like that for Pathfinder, that could really explode due to the awesome community.
Also: Mods!


Nullpunkt wrote:

James Jacobs mentioned before and wrote in one of the most recent Adventure Path issues that he had been pulled from Strange Aeons to work on a super-secret project that has been on his mind for at least 10 yeaers now.

Intriguing, isn't it? What could be so important to pull Mr. Jacobs from developing what would probably be his favorite theme for an Adventure Path ever?

Now people around here have always shown a remarkable ability to come up with inside information, rumors, and competent guesswork to figure out stuff like this so I pose the question to the community:

What could James Jacobs be working on?

(If a thread like this already exists, I apologize and would like the link. My search-fu was not enough to find any.)

epic level handbook? pretty please?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Samy/Hayato Ken/Orthos and anyone else interested in discussing an Obsidian Pathfinder RPG, here you go!

Shadow Lodge

Frogsplosion wrote:
Nullpunkt wrote:

James Jacobs mentioned before and wrote in one of the most recent Adventure Path issues that he had been pulled from Strange Aeons to work on a super-secret project that has been on his mind for at least 10 yeaers now.

Intriguing, isn't it? What could be so important to pull Mr. Jacobs from developing what would probably be his favorite theme for an Adventure Path ever?

Now people around here have always shown a remarkable ability to come up with inside information, rumors, and competent guesswork to figure out stuff like this so I pose the question to the community:

What could James Jacobs be working on?

(If a thread like this already exists, I apologize and would like the link. My search-fu was not enough to find any.)

epic level handbook? pretty please?

Extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely. Paizo devs have stated on multiple occasions that they do NOT like 3rd edition's Epic level ruleset, and that Mythic was/is intended to cover that niche as necessary. It would be a rather extreme change of stance to suddenly turn around and make an epic level progression book after several years of such a firm stance against it and the repeated assertion that if that's the kind of play you want Mythic is how to do it in Pathfinder.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
roysier wrote:
Having AP's be published for both a PF and a 5e to increase sales?

And the birth of the anti-christ is your follow up I guess.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Frogsplosion wrote:
Nullpunkt wrote:

James Jacobs mentioned before and wrote in one of the most recent Adventure Path issues that he had been pulled from Strange Aeons to work on a super-secret project that has been on his mind for at least 10 yeaers now.

Intriguing, isn't it? What could be so important to pull Mr. Jacobs from developing what would probably be his favorite theme for an Adventure Path ever?

Now people around here have always shown a remarkable ability to come up with inside information, rumors, and competent guesswork to figure out stuff like this so I pose the question to the community:

What could James Jacobs be working on?

(If a thread like this already exists, I apologize and would like the link. My search-fu was not enough to find any.)

epic level handbook? pretty please?
Extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely. Paizo devs have stated on multiple occasions that they do NOT like 3rd edition's Epic level ruleset, and that Mythic was/is intended to cover that niche as necessary. It would be a rather extreme change of stance to suddenly turn around and make an epic level progression book after several years of such a firm stance against it and the repeated assertion that if that's the kind of play you want Mythic is how to do it in Pathfinder.

I'd rather play something like Mythic than epic any day of the week. Oh look, more levels. Bigger maths. Just don't care. On the other hand, having distinct, unique abilities that represent "above and beyond the best of the best", that's worth playing.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So, now that Starfinder has been announced, is that the secret project? It seems like there's a connection, given The Forgotten Futures game James has been working on ...

Sovereign Court

Or has this been a bluff, distracting us from Sutter's really secret project?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What if Sutter's secret identity is James Jacobs. Or vice versa.

Do you ever see them in the same picture together... o_O


I think the second secret project is the AP for Starfinder which they will probably announce at Gencon :)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Oh that's a good guess. It makes perfect sense for him to inaugurate that AP line, being such a veteran of that line.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
ladydragona wrote:
I think the second secret project is the AP for Starfinder which they will probably announce at Gencon :)

They announced that there will be an AP for Starfinder, containing additional rules and Setting material, but that other details (storyline, title etc.) are still up in the air (not unannounced, actually not fully locked down)

What is secured is that it Will be developed by Rob Mcreary, who is part of the core Starfinder team along with James Sutter and Owen KC Stephens

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marc Radle wrote:
So, now that Starfinder has been announced, is that the secret project? It seems like there's a connection, given The Forgotten Futures game James has been working on ...

The name of my post-apocalyptic RPG is "Unspeakable Futures" and while it was where I did all the initial design work (plus a lot more) for the Technology Guide, it does not have anything to do with "Starfinder." Nor do I, really—I'm not on the Starfinder team. That's James Sutter, Rob McCreary, and Owen Stephens pretty much, with the design team helping to get things off the ground at first..

Starfinder is NOT the secret project I was talking about in Hell's Rebels—that project is already announced: the Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover.

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:
So, now that Starfinder has been announced, is that the secret project? It seems like there's a connection, given The Forgotten Futures game James has been working on ...

The name of my post-apocalyptic RPG is "Unspeakable Futures" and while it was where I did all the initial design work (plus a lot more) for the Technology Guide, it does not have anything to do with "Starfinder." Nor do I, really—I'm not on the Starfinder team. That's James Sutter, Rob McCreary, and Owen Stephens pretty much, with the design team helping to get things off the ground at first..

Starfinder is NOT the secret project I was talking about in Hell's Rebels—that project is already announced: the Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover.

Shoot! Right, Unspeakable Futures! Sorry, not sure where I came up with Forgotten Futures ...

Got it! The Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover sounds very cool - looking forward to it!

Thanks James!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Starfinder is NOT the secret project I was talking about in Hell's Rebels—that project is already announced: the Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover.

Which is just proof that human sacrifice works! Er... I mean, glad to see all the feedback had an impact...


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Starfinder is NOT the secret project I was talking about in Hell's Rebels—that project is already announced: the Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover.

Got to think you're being a little coy here. My understanding was that you're off AP coordination for ~18 months because of multiple secret projects. Curse of the Crimson Throne is announced, yes, but it's also releasing in three months. That kind of leaves a year or more still unaccounted for. The fans of James Jacobs remain avidly interested in clues.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Anguish wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Starfinder is NOT the secret project I was talking about in Hell's Rebels—that project is already announced: the Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover.
Got to think you're being a little coy here. My understanding was that you're off AP coordination for ~18 months because of multiple secret projects. Curse of the Crimson Throne is announced, yes, but it's also releasing in three months. That kind of leaves a year or more still unaccounted for. The fans of James Jacobs remain avidly interested in clues.

I'm off AP development because we're getting new folks at Paizo the chance to build them. There may well be some other projects that I might start working on later in the year, but currently I'm still working on Crimson Throne and will be for 2 more weeks, while also working on five "regular" products spread across the Campaign Setting and Player Companion lines, all of which are announced.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Mh, so there was only one secret project after all or do you have something up the sleeve?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Fingers crossed it's Shadows Under Sandpoint.

Liberty's Edge

Crude was hopping It was a "Pathfinder" movie script :(


JPSTOD wrote:

Crude was hopping It was a "Pathfinder" movie script :(

Maybe they already began filming?


The secret project is to keep us all distracted for a few years by making us guess a secret project.

Liberty's Edge

Nutcase Entertainment wrote:
JPSTOD wrote:

Crude was hopping It was a "Pathfinder" movie script :(

Maybe they already began filming?

If Warcraft and D&D can get movies why Can't Pathfinder?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
JPSTOD wrote:
Nutcase Entertainment wrote:
JPSTOD wrote:

Crude was hopping It was a "Pathfinder" movie script :(

Maybe they already began filming?

If Warcraft and D&D can get movies why Can't Pathfinder?

Money-wise, Warcraft is enormous, D&D is huge, Pathfinder is tiny.


Gorbacz wrote:
JPSTOD wrote:
Nutcase Entertainment wrote:
JPSTOD wrote:

Crude was hopping It was a "Pathfinder" movie script :(

Maybe they already began filming?

If Warcraft and D&D can get movies why Can't Pathfinder?

Money-wise, Warcraft is enormous, D&D is huge, Pathfinder is tiny.

Warcraft is kinda tanking right now, movies might give it a new source of money.

D&D/WotC is lucky to have Hasbro (and M:tG).

Paizo is pretty good at the indie stuff, improvising and making money.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Paizo should talk to the team responsible for THIS movie. I found it on Netflix titled "Curse of the Dragonslayer" some time ago, and it's really good. The fight scenes are great.

451 to 500 of 523 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Let's guess James Jacobs' Secret Project All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.