The Monkey's Treefort


Off-Topic Discussions

15,901 to 15,950 of 19,931 << first < prev | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | next > last >>

DM Cal,

My mom loves it. But then again she's 71...so. But yeah I wish it was 40 and rain for like most of November, turning to 32-30 and snow from December 1st until January 6th. If it went up 40, I wouldn't mind, but not during December.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm with ya. 5 years ago we actually had a big snowfall over a foot deep (that's big for Arkansas anymore) on Christmas Day. It was wonderful.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I thought when we had 2 feet of snow in 1994 (or was 1998 I forget) that would be our normal...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, my six day long adventure with Donny and Marie, the little lost puppies, has ended. A woman who lives much closer to the lady I've been working with from the Humane Society asked to take them in. It's for the best, because most of the other puppies from the two litters they rescued are also close to her and it's easier for her to distribute supplies to the foster homes. I wasn't able to go pick them up myself because my vehicle isn't in good shape right now, plus driving at night (when she was usually available) is very difficult for me.

They've been gone about an hour and already the house feels a little emptier, but also it's returning to normal. My adult dogs, Rosie and Buster, were really not handling their presence well. They can already sense things are different and are becoming less tense. They never tried to hurt them, in fact they completely ignored them. But they weren't used to their routine being disrupted so much. They'd even stopped eating over the last couple of days.

I just realized I forgot to take a farewell photo of them, dang it. I'm not much of picture taking type, anyway, so it didn't occur to me. But I have the memories of their short stay here that will be with me for a long time. The lady from the Humane Society thanked me over and over for keeping them for the last 6 days and helping them get a good start. I feel pretty good about my contribution and am thankful for the time I got to spend with them.


You're a good man Mister Cal. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks, Thomas.


Oh man nothing better than little puppies, hope I can do that some day Cal!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

They were really sweet. I got to keep them long enough to see them open their eyes for the first time, so that was really special. They'd learned the sound of my voice before they could even see and would come to whichever corner of the box I was at if I spoke to them. And the puppy breath! Oh, the puppy breath!


About nine years ago I did a stint as a foster house for rescued Boston Terriers. I hope one day to get back to it. One of my best dogs ever, Noelle, was a 'foster fail'. She was at my house for about six months. Other dogs that were younger would get adopted, but she was older, and a breeder rescue. No one wanted her. Eventually the foster organization cut her fee to $150 and at that point I couldn't imagine living without her so I adopted her. She was such an amazing dog. I still miss her terribly.


My dog Buster is a foster fail. I was only supposed to keep him awhile, but he's part pit bull and people have that damned stigma about them, so it took forever for anyone to ask for him. By then I was too attached to let him go.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
My dog Buster is a foster fail. I was only supposed to keep him awhile, but he's part pit bull and people have that damned stigma about them, so it took forever for anyone to ask for him. By then I was too attached to let him go.

Which is a shame cause the pitties are such sweet sweet dogs.

However, owning Great Danes means I can't really own another type of dog they rock so damn much.


LOL My brother has a Dane. She doesn't like me so when I come over they have to put her in the crate while I'm there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
LOL My brother has a Dane. She doesn't like me so when I come over they have to put her in the crate while I'm there.

Women right?! :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for doing the foster bit, DMC. I appreciate it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Took the boy (14) to see Thor:Ragnarock last night.

(I made sure he did his homework first!) ;P

It is a classic, Super-hero-action-adventure-comedy movie.

IF you do not like jokes in your super hero movie, (or chocolate in your peanut butter) then this is not the movie for you. Nuff said!

It just possibly slipped ahead of Dr Strange as my favorite Marvel movie ever. Maybe. Time will tell.

It reminded me at times of the action films of the 80's. The good ones. :)

There was drama, action, fight scenes (DUH!) and of course jokes, but they were spaced just far enough apart that it didn't turn into a slapstick routine. There were mentions of other parts of the Marvel-Movie-Verse if you were paying attention enough to catch them, and a couple of brief homages to the classic Thor comics as well.

My 14 yr old son and I loved it. I think it may the boys new favorite too.
(His previous favorite being the Deadpool movie, if that gives you any means of judging it)

Will definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD/Bluray!

Go forth! WatchThor:Ragnarock! Odin has spoken!


Saw it this past Saturday. Will get it as soon as it's released onto DVD.


**Looks at bank account and then list of prescriptions needing filled**. Guess it'll be Redbox for me.


Sharoth wrote:
Thanks for doing the foster bit, DMC. I appreciate it.

It was really a lot of fun. I sort of regret that I won't be able to watch them grow more, but it worked out for the best for everyone involved. I believe they'll be well taken care of by someone who'll care for them as much as I did (and still do. They were the adorbs, to borrow a quote from a friend regarding them).


If anyone is in the Lexington, Kentucky area go see the band deFrance play at the Burl tonight! *shameless plug for the band by the bassist's father*


A five -minute metro delay= getting home a 1/2 hour late. Fncking A


Congrats, Cal.


Thanks, John!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have no shameless plugs. Only shameless pugs I know.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ugh, 30 minutes of my dad's not quite coherent ramblings...

Five of which was explaining that despite us having almost the same name (in different order) I can't sign in his place, and he can't sign in my place. It seems that the concept of signing oneself being a legal declaration to be the person in question is beyond him.


SIgh,...
Complaining about your Cable/internet service provider isn't politics is it?

I hope not, because I REALLY want to complain! ;P

Spoilered for length and whiny-ness. ;P

Spoiler:

I am tired of dealing with Cox. I have been in the same town, with the same service for over 10 years now, and if they call me a 'Loyal customer" ONE more time while continuing to raise my service fees above $200, while giving 'new' customers the exact same services for $80, I am going to beat someone senseless with the Cable box and modem!

I am generally just too lazy to go through switching providers every couple of years just to get the lowest rate possible, provided the service is good. But the service has been getting worse & worse, and the local people are either all completely incompetent, or just clueless about how to deal with customers. Or both.

The straw that broke the camel's back was this latest upgrade requirement.
I am all about the upgrades, newer equipment, improved service, etc, all good. BUT I have been paying far too much for mediocre services for 10 years, and NOW they want to upgrade, and make ME do the work of an installer, so they don't have to pay a worker!
So,... I have to pay TOO much for lousy service, AND I have to do YOUR job for you too?!?

Yeah, I am THIS CLOSE <holds up thumb and forefinger, almost touching> to just washing my hands of the whole situation and calling AT&T. Seriously.

Yeah, sorry, </Rant> All done now.
Thanks for listening. :/

(I know, I know. Not nearly as big a deal in the Big Scheme of things, but this has been slowly festering for 9+ years now. Just wanted to vent.I actually feel better already.) :)

So, how is everyone's Hump Day going? :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Doing okay. Get revenge by posting bad reviews. Give specific reasons why their service sucks. If you do go to AT&T, bring the last set of bills and copies of your complaints. See if AT&T can give you a better deal.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So,... Semi-random question,
I just noticed that my family tends to eat meals in cycles. (Considering that I do most of the cooking, I am really slow on the uptake)

Does anyone else tend to do meals in same/similar format each week?

I don't mean the exact same meals, (although we DO tend to do Friday is Pizza night over at my house) But the same or generally similar meals in cycles?

Example, we usually do Fri=Pizza, and a fish night to make the wife happy. And I try to always grill meat at least once a week, usually on weekend.
The rest tends to revolve around trying out new recipes or repeating favorite dishes. And as i said, we usually run in cycles,

1-2 weeks, try a lot of new dishes, find a couple we really like, repeat those for the next 2-3 weeks, then when they grow old try something new again, repeat endlessly. :)

IS that how everyone else lives? Or am I weird?
How DO the 'normal' people live anyway? I haven't been 'normal' in too long. I cant recall. ;P

Silver Crusade

David M Mallon wrote:
Question for all you responsible adults out there: is it worth it to get an MBA in the current job environment, or is it a waste of time and money?

What’s the MBA in?

Generally, I’ve seen it as a way for folks to “reset” their career paths, but it is no guarantee of anything. I have seen people doing office grunt work with an MBA, and people in high positions without one.

If it is in a specific area (finance, for instance) that may pay off better. But even then, I’d hesitate to advocate taking on any substantial debt to get one.

Also - as Patrick suggested, the school itself is a big differentiator.


Celestial Healer wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
Question for all you responsible adults out there: is it worth it to get an MBA in the current job environment, or is it a waste of time and money?

What’s the MBA in?

Generally, I’ve seen it as a way for folks to “reset” their career paths, but it is no guarantee of anything. I have seen people doing office grunt work with an MBA, and people in high positions without one.

If it is in a specific area (finance, for instance) that may pay off better. But even then, I’d hesitate to advocate taking on any substantial debt to get one.

Also - as Patrick suggested, the school itself is a big differentiator.

Not sure as of yet, considering that I'm currently only considering it as one of many options.

Speaking as someone who knows what they're talking about, what would you recommend?


Whoever invented Raid Max Bug Barrier deserves a g*+~**n Nobel Prize.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ugh. Tapping out battles on a smartphone pad is an exercise in annoyance!


Oh and..


GOOD MORNING TREEFORTNAM!!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Government hacks don't get paid much, but we get a sweet deal on time off! Three day weekend here I come!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, and thank you all my fellow veterans for your sacrifices and dedication to keeping our country safe. We are the .45%


2 people marked this as a favorite.

When German speakers hear Limp Bizkit 's lead singer's name do they automatically translate it in their head as Fred Thirsty?


I'm going to Charlotte NC for the three day to visit a friend. Never been, but it's on my list of possible settlement sites post-Govt


Have fun this weekend, Monkey Man.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
Speaking as someone who knows what they're talking about, what would you recommend?

(Emphasis mine.) Just what do you mean by that, sir? Are you implying that the rest of us who know nothing about the topic aren't allowed to chime in with our ignorant opinion or inane comment? Don't you know where you are? This is the internet, man! A veritable fountain of babble!

I think you should consider an MBA from Kellogg, because I like their cereal and I think words with two g's are really cool. Also, NU rocks.

Oh, and also my great-grandfather was in their sanitarium for a while.

Inanity accomplished!


David M Mallon wrote:
Whoever invented Raid Max Bug Barrier deserves a g++~#+n Nobel Prize.

*Makes a note to buy some*


Well, I bit the bullet and called AT&T. Switching from COX to AT&T next week.

The deal is great, lots of bonuses and guaranteed pricing for 2 years. It's going to save me a good bit.
But now I'm hearing supposed internet speed issues w/ AT&T?.
(Speeds supposedly slow to a crawl if you have all of your TV's and/or PC's on at the same time?)

Anyone in the treefort use AT&T? Any one of those play any online games or notice any speed issues when you have multiple devices online?

Well, I believe that I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not. I'll know in two weeks or less if I'm going to have issues. :/


I was with AT&T for a year. I don't play games but I did experience trouble downloading files sometimes. A lot of times. I now use my city owned internet and I get 25 Mbps for less money that AT&T cost me. What sort of deal did they offer you and how many Mbps?

Silver Crusade

David M Mallon wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
Question for all you responsible adults out there: is it worth it to get an MBA in the current job environment, or is it a waste of time and money?

What’s the MBA in?

Generally, I’ve seen it as a way for folks to “reset” their career paths, but it is no guarantee of anything. I have seen people doing office grunt work with an MBA, and people in high positions without one.

If it is in a specific area (finance, for instance) that may pay off better. But even then, I’d hesitate to advocate taking on any substantial debt to get one.

Also - as Patrick suggested, the school itself is a big differentiator.

Not sure as of yet, considering that I'm currently only considering it as one of many options.

Speaking as someone who knows what they're talking about, what would you recommend?

Human Resources is a tough market. I wouldn’t recommend it. Marketing can also be challenging, but might synergize well with your BFA. Finance and Accounting are a better bet for the job market, but may not be the most exciting fields (boring field = fewer candidates = better opportunities). I don’t know much about IT or industrial operations type of MBAs, but I suspect those fields will look for other education/experience apart from the MBA.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I was with AT&T for a year. I don't play games but I did experience trouble downloading files sometimes. A lot of times. I now use my city owned internet and I get 25 Mbps for less money that AT&T cost me. What sort of deal did they offer you and how many Mbps?

I am paying Cox $175 month, AFTER arguing with them to lower my bill. :(

(They keep trying to charge me $250) :P
That is for TV, Internet and phone. TV is not basic (No premium channels, but all of the other choices) and I have a decent speed internet. I do light online gaming with no trouble. And basic phone service for the bundle deal.

AT&T promised me all of the TV channels (no premium channels other than the freebie 3 months to try and get you to want to pay for them) and phone and their top speed internet for a little over $100 /month.

I know my mother loves her AT&T service, but she doesn't watch online videos or play games. She sometimes logs in to do her work (Computer programmer), check her emails, and watches her TV's. I'm just concerned about the 'internet speeds slowing down if all your TV's are on' issue I'm now hearing about.

Ah well, if I don;t like AT&T, I have the local company (LUS FIBER) to still go to. :)
(Supposedly, LUS did SO well setting up their system, that Google paid them to show them exactly how they did it, so that they could copy it!) ;P


*grumble-grumble* mild headache.

Going to bed soon, as I am getting up in the morning for a temporary job - packing board games for mailing over the weekend.


I have a really bad headache and am about to lie down, too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So the drums, cymbals, and fireworks are a no go?


Ragadolf, it's all about bandwidth. The more devices that you're using, the less each device can use. For example, let's say that the base speed is 500 Mb/s. If you're using just the computer, you'll get the full 500 Mb/s. If you've got the Computer and the TV going, the Computer gets 500 Mb/s minus what the TV needs. Likewise for the phone. And so on. Hope this helps.

Edit: Ask what the bandwidth of the service plan is.


Sharoth wrote:
So the drums, cymbals, and fireworks are a no go?

Right out. I tried to take a nap, but the aforementioned items inside my head wouldn't let me.

Shadow Lodge

Ragadolf wrote:

Well, I bit the bullet and called AT&T. Switching from COX to AT&T next week.

The deal is great, lots of bonuses and guaranteed pricing for 2 years. It's going to save me a good bit.
But now I'm hearing supposed internet speed issues w/ AT&T?.
(Speeds supposedly slow to a crawl if you have all of your TV's and/or PC's on at the same time?)

Anyone in the treefort use AT&T? Any one of those play any online games or notice any speed issues when you have multiple devices online?

Well, I believe that I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not. I'll know in two weeks or less if I'm going to have issues. :/

I had AT&T DSL for the two years I was in my apartment because my only other option was Comcast cable and pardon me but hells no.

I was very pleased with it the entire time. It wasn't as fast - DSL, obviously - but I remember no significant downtimes that weren't due to local mechanical issues or weather. Customer service was always helpful, relatively quick, and had reasonable hours.

I can't comment on the multiple devices thing as I only ever had my laptop and phone on the network, and was rarely using both at the same time. I had internet only, no TV and no landline phone, for about $45/month.

Overall: Recommended.

15,901 to 15,950 of 19,931 << first < prev | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / The Monkey's Treefort All Messageboards