Mythic Rebels?


Hell's Rebels


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I must say I was bemused to see Book 6 included an option for the PCs to become Mythic with one Mythic Tier upon finishing the second part of the book. It's also heartening as it suggests Paizo hasn't just abandoned Mythic Adventures. While the rules do need a couple revisions, they do have some enjoyable aspects to them.

And I will admit some curiosity as to if Mythic goes off the rails for a high-level PC with only one or two Mythic Tiers. I'm suspecting not, though your mileage may naturally vary. ;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Interesting.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.

By including the option to become mythic not as an assumption of the adventure but as merely that... an OPTION... I hope/think we can avoid lots of the complaints from people who don't want to turn their game into mythic and vice versa. It works for some groups and not others, and building it in as an option covers that well, I hope.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
By including the option to become mythic not as an assumption of the adventure but as merely that... an OPTION... I hope/think we can avoid lots of the complaints from people who don't want to turn their game into mythic and vice versa. It works for some groups and not others, and building it in as an option covers that well, I hope.

More of this please. While I understand some people's reluctance to go mythic, I love it. This makes me much more likely to run this AP in the future.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
By including the option to become mythic not as an assumption of the adventure but as merely that... an OPTION... I hope/think we can avoid lots of the complaints from people who don't want to turn their game into mythic and vice versa. It works for some groups and not others, and building it in as an option covers that well, I hope.
More of this please. While I understand some people's reluctance to go mythic, I love it. This makes me much more likely to run this AP in the future.

We'll wait and see how folks respond to this, but you do know that you can drop mythic opportunities in for your group in ANY adventure path, yes? All adventure paths are filled with important and memorable events that can double for a moment of mythic apotheosis.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
We'll wait and see how folks respond to this, but you do know that you can drop mythic opportunities in for your group in ANY adventure path, yes? All adventure paths are filled with important and memorable events that can double for a moment of mythic apotheosis.

Yes I know. In fact, I've been thinking the end of each volume would be the perfect place to add a mythic tier to most campaigns.

I just know I need to be vocal on the forums about my love of Mythic, since my subscription means my likes and dislikes rarely translate into measurable sales figures.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I know I've added Mythic to Runelords, and did with Reign of Winter as well.

As for Hell's Rebels... I'm more reluctant to add it early on, though a player of mine is unhappy with learning it's added (if the GM wants it to be) at the very end of the AP. Personally I think it makes spellcasters far more powerful and decreases the difficulty of some encounters (like casting cold resistance when facing an unexpected white dragon in Runelords). (Then again, a Wizard with a Bonded Item can do that as well. Once.)


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am glad mythic will be optional. I consider even a low level of mythic power will be a massive increase in power for a character, particularly a full caster who need the boost least at high levels, but at least it will not be a bad as 10 mythic ranks


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

That said, you know where I have no problem with Mythic?

Very small groups.

If you have two players (like my current tabletop group - I'm leaning away from mixing tabletop and Skype after scheduling problems killed the last game) then having them run Mythic characters makes up for the massive lack of bodies. And you could even end up with characters who reach level 20 at the end. :)

I know I'm giving my tabletop group the option of either having two characters each and no Mythic (I know both players are capable of doing this and of RPing effectively), or of one character each that become Mythic (around level 3). And in all likelihood, one Mythic Tier per book should work fairly well.


What about Hell's Vengeance, Tammy could use some mythic love, not that she'll need it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We'll wait and see how folks respond to this, but you do know that you can drop mythic opportunities in for your group in ANY adventure path, yes? All adventure paths are filled with important and memorable events that can double for a moment of mythic apotheosis.

Yes I know. In fact, I've been thinking the end of each volume would be the perfect place to add a mythic tier to most campaigns.

I just know I need to be vocal on the forums about my love of Mythic, since my subscription means my likes and dislikes rarely translate into measurable sales figures.

Ah; fair enough. Carry on! :-)


Im actually debating having my pcs pick up the first mythic tier when the Song of Silver is first performed, flavoring it as a sign of great faith in them from Milani.


exactly what was the intention of giving mythic in this campaing? kill Mephistofeles

Shadow Lodge

I'm of two minds about adding mythic themes to Hell's Rebels. My initial, visceral reaction is against it, because it opens a definitive chasm between the PCs and the movement they've led hitherto. Mythic-ness marks the PCs off thematically as Special in a way they weren't when they were simply high-level. On the other hand, refusing to grant mythic power means that the story really is one of Mephistopheles's pawns on both sides, that the image of a new world kindled by the Silver Ravens was never more than a figment, because some powers will remain forever out of reach.


zimmerwald1915 wrote:
On the other hand, refusing to grant mythic power means that the story really is one of Mephistopheles's pawns on both sides, that the image of a new world kindled by the Silver Ravens was never more than a figment, because some powers will remain forever out of reach.

You don't think the personification of the plane of Hell itself is worthy of that?

By most accounts, Mythic rules were a game-breaker in a game written to handle them. I don't think this AP would fair any better.

Shadow Lodge

Shaun wrote:
You don't think the personification of the plane of Hell itself is worthy of that?

No, frankly, I don't. If we're in the business of creating new worlds, we can say no to the Thermidorians, no matter who they may be.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Having used 1 tier of mythic power in a long-running campaign where the mythic power was earned by the PCs in the final sessions... it actually felt really pretty good. At that point, the PCs are already powerful (level 15 or 16 or so), and the addition of mythic power is an excellent late-game reward that lets the players feel like the previous 15 levels really built up to something. You'll ABSOLUTELY want to be familiar with how the mythic rules work, though, so that you can bolster a few monsters here and there as needed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

That is interesting, James. I will admit I've been curious as to what the impact of low levels of Mythic to high level games, as certain aspects of Mythic are... potentially overpowered. But one or two Tiers? Well, I've had a two-Tier Runelords game for a bit (though I'm thinking of giving them a third Tier at the end of the Runeforge) and while it has made things more powerful in some ways, in others it has proven quite inventive.

I am willing to bet at higher levels, one Mythic Tier probably counts much closer to one level rather than half a level. While a level 10, Tier 10 character probably couldn't face things that a level 20 character could... a One Tier level 16 character may actually be more capable than a level 17 character. In some ways.


So , mephisto Will get his stats done in Bestiary 6? Well my party Will need to wait if they want to kill him


Esquizo wrote:
So , mephisto Will get his stats done in Bestiary 6? Well my party Will need to wait if they want to kill him

Yes, all the Archdevils (save Asmodeus, as he is an actual god) will be stated up in B6.


mmmm ANY ideas for a post mythic campaing to kill the crimson Son of Asmodeus


Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Has anyone done this yet? I have an understanding of the Mythic rules but have never played or GM'd for a game with them yet. I'd like to give players the option of selecting 17th level or a Mythic tier as they enter the final chapter, but with no Mythic experience, it's hard for me to judge how the adventure should be modified to accommodate this new power.

* How did you modify the challenges as PCs made their way through the tower?
* How did you adjust Barzillai in particular?
* What should I be aware of about the Mythic rules that would come into play during this final stretch of Hell's Rebels? It looks straight forward, but again, zero actual experience here.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My table is getting close to it. The big question that comes up, though, is if you actually have the types of characters that benefit from mythic tiers. Example trade-offs:

  • Wizards/Clerics/Druids/Shaman/Witches won't get 9th level spells, but will be able to cast any spell off their list up to 5/day if they were capable of casting it.
  • Playing a summon-focused caster? Virtually no mythic support.
  • Martial characters who go Champion will get the option of move + full attack up to 5/day.
  • Mythic spells are available and some of them are extremely good - Disintegrate, Blade Barrier, Baleful Polymorph, and Flesh to Stone all come to mind

Realistically, there are plenty of characters out there that, not knowing that mythic could happen, will not be built in such a way as to utilize it well. Even built well for mythic, a lot of characters will find more utility by hitting 17. That said, it's sort of a no-brainer for spontaneous 9th level casters (sorc, oracle, etc.) and most full-BAB martials, particularly melee ones.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Hell's Rebels / Mythic Rebels? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Hell's Rebels
Starting AP at 3rd Level