Silken Ceremonial Armor Maximum Dex Bonus


Rules Questions


2 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

What is the maximum dex bonus of Silken Ceremonial Armor? Different sources have it as either no maximum bonus or a maximum of 8.

Scarab Sages

Just to gather information sources from the last thread:

Physical copy of Ultimate Combat says "-"

PDF of Ultimate Equipment says "-"

Pathfinder SRD says "-"

Pathfinder PRD says "-"

Archive of Nethys says "8"

No errata have been issued.

On examination, this might not need a FAQ, as it appears that all official Paizo sources are consistent (unless someone can find otherwise of course), and the only place it's listed as "+8" is Archive of Nethys.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have only ever seen it as having no max, same with Haramaki. What sources say it maxes at 8?

Edit: Ninja'd with answers. Interestingly nethys has Haramaki still at no max.

PRD for ultimate combat also has it with no max dex, not sure if it showed up in any other source books.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why is this even a question? All Paizo sources say "-", and some third party site says something different. It isn't that hard to figure out.

The only time it has something other than a "-" is in the Piecemeal Armor variant rules, where it has a +10 max dex (no armor has a max dex of - in those rules).


Agreed. I can't find an official source that gives it a number cap. - it is.


Summon Karui Kage!

Archive of nethys
archiveofnethys
archiveofnethys.com


An official FAQ might be a hair overkill, but I feel as if the question is simple enough to get a quick response without much issue.

I know that d20 also had it as 8 a few weeks ago because I made a gestalt ranger/wizard who used that armor.

I'm perfectly fine with agreeing that it should be -. However, there are a great deal of people who use Archive of Nethys as their only source of info, so at the very least somebody should let the folks over there know about the error.


CampinCarl9127 wrote:

An official FAQ might be a hair overkill, but I feel as if the question is simple enough to get a quick response without much issue.

I know that d20 also had it as 8 a few weeks ago because I made a gestalt ranger/wizard who used that armor.

I'm perfectly fine with agreeing that it should be -. However, there are a great deal of people who use Archive of Nethys as their only source of info, so at the very least somebody should let the folks over there know about the error.

For me, I never noticed as I would never take the Silken Ceremonial Armor when the Haramaki exists. Why pay 10 times as much and carry 3 more pounds of armor when you don't have to? As such, it's max dex was fairly irrelevant.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Because it looks infinitely cooler.


graystone wrote:
CampinCarl9127 wrote:

An official FAQ might be a hair overkill, but I feel as if the question is simple enough to get a quick response without much issue.

I know that d20 also had it as 8 a few weeks ago because I made a gestalt ranger/wizard who used that armor.

I'm perfectly fine with agreeing that it should be -. However, there are a great deal of people who use Archive of Nethys as their only source of info, so at the very least somebody should let the folks over there know about the error.

For me, I never noticed as I would never take the Silken Ceremonial Armor when the Haramaki exists. Why pay 10 times as much and carry 3 more pounds of armor when you don't have to? As such, it's max dex was fairly irrelevant.

Cause I like silken ceremonial robes, and my GMs tend to like the extra cost and weight for something that benefits arcane casters so much.

Also not metal which is nice too.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
graystone wrote:
For me, I never noticed as I would never take the Silken Ceremonial Armor when the Haramaki exists. Why pay 10 times as much and carry 3 more pounds of armor when you don't have to? As such, it's max dex was fairly irrelevant.

Or pay even more to have it made of darkleaf cloth :)


And it looks better.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

LOL I'm cheap I guess. I'll wear a mundane, and free, Scholar's outfit if I want to wear a robe. As far as metal, I don't see that as a big factor [some minuses but you have the option for special metals].

As a "simple silken sash", the Haramaki should fit the exact same look as the robes if that's what you want, either over or under a mundane robe. From the description, it's more like a modern Haramaki than the traditional armor version.

Abraham spalding: If the DM limits you to only one of the options for some reason, then you don't have the issue. Note I said, "I would never take the Silken Ceremonial Armor when the Haramaki exists".


CampinCarl9127 wrote:
Because it looks infinitely cooler.

We have very different aesthetics. I much prefer the look of the haramaki to that of silken armor. It's nice that the game offers people options that are mechanically similar, but visually distinctive.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Since all Paizo sources agree, somebody should let the maintainer of the Archives of Nethys know that he has an error for Silken Ceremonial Armor.

The only place in Paizo sources in which I recall seeing a maximum Dex bonus for either the Haramaki or Silken Ceremonial Armor is in the Piecemeal Armor rules in Ultimate Combat (reproduced at d20pfsrd). In the Piecemeal Armor rules, both of these armor types have a Max Dex of +10.

I am not sure why anyone with a Dex bonus that high would be wearing either of those items as piecemeal armor, since all other pieces of piecemeal armor have lower Max Dex ratings and thus should be discarded before Dex mod gets to +10 or higher anyway.


David knott 242 wrote:
Since all Paizo sources agree, somebody should let the maintainer of the Archives of Nethys know that he has an error for Silken Ceremonial Armor.

I sent an e-mail tonight.


Thanks Gisher!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Silken Ceremonial Armor Maximum Dex Bonus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.