"Bad" movies you actually like


Movies

301 to 350 of 366 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Fromper wrote:
Superman Returns - I know some people thought they ruined the character, and were glad they ended the series after this one and started over with Man of Steel. But if you don't mind the weird family plot twist, it's a fun movie that harkens back to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, before those went downhill. And for the record, I hated Man of Steel.

Agree for the most part... I've seen a lot of complaints about that movie, but it had SOOOO much that they did RIGHT. Brandon Routhe made a great Superman and Clark Kent. Kate Bosworth made a semi-believable Lois (more later) and Kevin Spacey did a fantastic job as Lex Luthor. Outside of Smallville, I believe Spacey is my favorite Lex ever filmed. Even the 'A' plot was decent in it's own comic-book weird way and fit in with the first two. Special effects were top notch... Sometimes I put it in just to rewatch the plane crash scene again. All in all, while hard to beat the first two Reeve movies, this one tries REALLY hard.

Even the costume was good. I mean... at the TIME I thought it was way too dark and stylized... but after MoS, I'd LOVE for them to bring that one back. It looks almost day-glow compared to Snyder's suit...

The bad? Two things... 1) 5 year absence. 2) Superkid.

EVERYTHING involved with those two issues really ruins that show. Superman wouldn't have just bailed on a whim like that... and Lois was WAY too young to not only be such a celebrated writer... but to be so young AFTER a 5 year gap. Kate Bosworth was only 23 when she filmed it, putting her at only 18 when Superman left?!?

Compared to Margot Kidder who was 30 and Amy Adams at 39 when they started the role...It REALLY didn't work.

And the kid's existence only pushed to the front everything from date-rape kiss to dead-beat dads, to Superman breaking up a happy family to be with Lois... It was a horrendous 'B' plot that should have been cut and burned with fire.

I loved the cast, but really hated the plot they were dropped in.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Fromper wrote:

Too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, so not sure if my choices were mentioned before.

CatholicFan wrote:
See, if it's bad Arnold movies we're talking about, then I love Last Action Hero. It's awesome, and it manages to be both a typical action movie and a commentary on action movies, at the same time! I love it.

I always liked that one. When it first came out, I remember that it got panned. Apparently, people were expecting a straight action movie, and it's a parody of that, which isn't what audiences expected. But I thought it was great, even then. And the soundtrack album was awesome, too.

Water World - I know, I know. It was overpriced, oversold, and not worthy of all the hype that made it sound like the greatest epic ever made. But it wasn't nearly as bad as its critics make it out to be, either. It was a fun flick, but nothing special.

The Fifth Element - Another fun sci-fi flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not a great epic or anything, but a fun ride.

Superman Returns - I know some people thought they ruined the character, and were glad they ended the series after this one and started over with Man of Steel. But if you don't mind the weird family plot twist, it's a fun movie that harkens back to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, before those went downhill. And for the record, I hated Man of Steel.

Water World I get...it's not a great movie but it's not as bad as its reputation. I honestly think it's reputation has more to do with the amount the studio lost on the film than the actual tone of the movie.

Is Fifth Element genuinely considered bad? I guess a bit cheesy at times but everything I have seen online and discussed with friends suggest it is rather well regarded. Not sure I would consider it a bad movie.


Morgan Champion wrote:

Godzilla: Final Wars

The good: Godzilla fights most of his old enemies (plus he curbstomps Zilla), we have alien hybrids who fight the monsters using big guns and wuxia style martial arts plus wacky Japanese supersubs, Captain Gordon, evil cannibalistic aliens with matter transporters and human disguises, cosmic superbeings called Keizers, the Peanuts, Mothra fighting Gigan, plus Minya shrinking down to human size.
The bad: Godzilla is imprisoned in ice at the beginning of the film so its a good while before he is woken up, so his battles with his old foes are surprisingly brief (hell Hedorah gets less screentime than Zilla does, though I enjoyed Godzilla destroying both Zilla and the Sydney Opera House) the heroes are rather bland with the notable exception of Captain Gordon, especially when compared to the over-the-top evil Kaizer. Also Minya haters will still hate him.

It's honestly one of my favorite Godzilla movies. The brief-fights gave him a very force-of-nature feel while still leaving us with some great not-so-brief monster fights as well.

When it comes to serious Godzilla movies, I think Shin Godzilla is my favorite, when it comes to monster bashes, Final Wars.

MMCJawa wrote:
Final Wars definitely falls in the same realm as Army of Darkness and Versus, in being driven completely by the rule of cool, which is able to compensate for shortcomings in any other area that the films might have.

"Versus" is also a great one for this thread.

I think it could use some trimming in the middle, but it's really fantastic. Fun fact: They shot it chronologically and the director killed off side characters in the order of which actors he thought did the best job (i.e. the better the performance the longer they lasted), and the main character gets better as he goes on too.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
ShinHakkaider wrote:


And as for your second point, if everyone made rational smart decisions in the face of complete horror and dire circumstance? That would be just as unbelievable and would completely yank me out of the movie as well. Not everyone is going to react like a well-oiled team of professional adventurers.

There were one or two decisions made in PROMETHEUS that were just plain DUMB and those were scientists who should have CLEARLY known better.

I'll note the space cargo haulers of 'Alien' were mostly pretty competent in their decision making, they just had Ash undermining them. And in Aliens, you had the newbie LT and the company man trying to run his plan, but the Marines, again, tended to be pretty good at making rational decisions.

Rational decisions didn't always end up being the *right* ones, but Aliens casts were traditionally surprisingly good at what they do.

Quote:
People aren't smart, rational animals in the most realistic of situations. IN one where some really weird stuff is going on all of a sudden and they have no idea what it is or what to do? I'm guessing the horrible decision making factor goes through the roof.

Believe it or not, while reaction in the heat sometimes make mistakes (running for an exit normally *is* the best call- and if you misplace the location of the threat, that's not a judgement in error but in information), studies and reports show that people band together and act surprisingly well in disaster scenarios.

I mean, think about it, if humans became that much more likely to die in disasters, we wouldn't have survived all the disasters to be around today! Horror movies tend to take a less-than-real-life view of people's competence in high stress situations.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ShinHakkaider wrote:
**spoiler omitted **

Nice try, but-

Spoiler:
1- Why would he use an Engineer ship when he has a big shiny human ship full of raw material to use? A perfectly human signal, after all, would work just fine if he wants to sucker in humans *or* the Engineers who, lest we forget, wanted to wipe humanity out.

2- Why in the name of sanity would a Engineer be piloting the ship full of eggs that ends up on LV-426?

3- To head off an inevitable attempt to handwave point 2, given the nature of David's interactions with the Engineers, why would they do anything but tear him apart and destroy his ship if they find him?

Quote:

And as for your second point, if everyone made rational smart decisions in the face of complete horror and dire circumstance? That would be just as unbelievable and would completely yank me out of the movie as well. Not everyone is going to react like a well-oiled team of professional adventurers.

There were one or two decisions made in PROMETHEUS that were just plain DUMB and those were scientists who should have CLEARLY known better.

And some of the actions by the Colonial Marine types in A:C were just plain DUMB.

It's still plot-mandated stupidity- and note that not all of it was created equal-

Spoiler:
Tennessee's questionable decisions made perfect sense- his wife's wild firing by the Explosive Barrels of Convenience in the ship she knows the most about? Not so much. And all the going off alone when they know that at least one of them got decapitated by doing so?


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Why It's Bad: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Why I Love It: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Enough said.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Hannibull Rektor wrote:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Why It's Bad: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Why I Love It: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Enough said.

The title not only describes the film but whether or not you're gonna like it. It's exactly what it says on the tin!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hannibull Rektor wrote:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Why It's Bad: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Why I Love It: It's super campy and has evil alien space clowns with ridiculous, clown-themed weaponry.

Enough said.

This movie single-handedly saved a nightmare evening- my roommate had a HUGE fight with her boyfriend, in tears...

So I plug in the Chiodo Brothers' greatest contribution to human civilization.

Boom. Within twenty minutes, my roomie is laughing her ass off.

I love everything about that cheeseball, wonderful, terrible, magnificent movie.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Cole Deschain wrote:
ShinHakkaider wrote:
**spoiler omitted **

Nice try, but-

** spoiler omitted **

Quote:

And as for your second point, if everyone made rational smart decisions in the face of complete horror and dire circumstance? That would be just as unbelievable and would completely yank me out of the movie as well. Not everyone is going to react like a well-oiled team of professional adventurers.

There were one or two decisions made in PROMETHEUS that were just plain DUMB and those were scientists who should have CLEARLY known better.

And some of the actions by the Colonial Marine types in A:C were just plain DUMB.

It's still plot-mandated stupidity- and note that not all of it was created equal- ** spoiler omitted **

Okay, You win.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Army of Darkness is considered bad? BLASPHEMY I SAY! *straps on arm chainsaw*

Dark Archive

Hannibull Rektor wrote:
Army of Darkness is considered bad? BLASPHEMY I SAY! *straps on arm chainsaw*

"Good? Bad? <<Bang!>> I'm the one with the gun."

[I know, wrong movie. Let me have this.]


2 people marked this as a favorite.
pH unbalanced wrote:
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
My guilty pleasure is Howard the duck. Say what you will but it's just plain fun.

I paid to see this TWICE when it was in theaters. It is a perfectly serviceable super hero movie...probably about the same as Green Lantern.

Of other ones mentioned, I *adore* Sucker Punch, which most people missed the point of.

Not mentioned yet is Lady in the Water, which I thought was very sweet, and holds up really well, if you're willing to buy into its premise.

adds phunbalanced to Christmas card list solely for the joy of removing him


Fromper wrote:

Too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, so not sure if my choices were mentioned before.

CatholicFan wrote:
See, if it's bad Arnold movies we're talking about, then I love Last Action Hero. It's awesome, and it manages to be both a typical action movie and a commentary on action movies, at the same time! I love it.

I always liked that one. When it first came out, I remember that it got panned. Apparently, people were expecting a straight action movie, and it's a parody of that, which isn't what audiences expected. But I thought it was great, even then. And the soundtrack album was awesome, too.

Water World - I know, I know. It was overpriced, oversold, and not worthy of all the hype that made it sound like the greatest epic ever made. But it wasn't nearly as bad as its critics make it out to be, either. It was a fun flick, but nothing special.

The Fifth Element - Another fun sci-fi flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not a great epic or anything, but a fun ride.

Superman Returns - I know some people thought they ruined the character, and were glad they ended the series after this one and started over with Man of Steel. But if you don't mind the weird family plot twist, it's a fun movie that harkens back to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, before those went downhill. And for the record, I hated Man of Steel.

superman returns was the worst superman movie I have ever seen. Ever. Richard Pryor was better. I prefer man of steel in every sense.


Freehold DM wrote:
Fromper wrote:

Too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, so not sure if my choices were mentioned before.

CatholicFan wrote:
See, if it's bad Arnold movies we're talking about, then I love Last Action Hero. It's awesome, and it manages to be both a typical action movie and a commentary on action movies, at the same time! I love it.

I always liked that one. When it first came out, I remember that it got panned. Apparently, people were expecting a straight action movie, and it's a parody of that, which isn't what audiences expected. But I thought it was great, even then. And the soundtrack album was awesome, too.

Water World - I know, I know. It was overpriced, oversold, and not worthy of all the hype that made it sound like the greatest epic ever made. But it wasn't nearly as bad as its critics make it out to be, either. It was a fun flick, but nothing special.

The Fifth Element - Another fun sci-fi flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not a great epic or anything, but a fun ride.

Superman Returns - I know some people thought they ruined the character, and were glad they ended the series after this one and started over with Man of Steel. But if you don't mind the weird family plot twist, it's a fun movie that harkens back to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, before those went downhill. And for the record, I hated Man of Steel.

superman returns was the worst superman movie I have ever seen. Ever. Richard Pryor was better. I prefer man of steel in every sense.

I'm with you on Man of Steel vs Return, but not Superman 3 vs. Return (tobacco tar as kryptonite? No). Then again I would consign 3, 4, and Return to the abyss.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Fromper wrote:

Too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, so not sure if my choices were mentioned before.

CatholicFan wrote:
See, if it's bad Arnold movies we're talking about, then I love Last Action Hero. It's awesome, and it manages to be both a typical action movie and a commentary on action movies, at the same time! I love it.

I always liked that one. When it first came out, I remember that it got panned. Apparently, people were expecting a straight action movie, and it's a parody of that, which isn't what audiences expected. But I thought it was great, even then. And the soundtrack album was awesome, too.

Water World - I know, I know. It was overpriced, oversold, and not worthy of all the hype that made it sound like the greatest epic ever made. But it wasn't nearly as bad as its critics make it out to be, either. It was a fun flick, but nothing special.

The Fifth Element - Another fun sci-fi flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not a great epic or anything, but a fun ride.

Superman Returns - I know some people thought they ruined the character, and were glad they ended the series after this one and started over with Man of Steel. But if you don't mind the weird family plot twist, it's a fun movie that harkens back to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, before those went downhill. And for the record, I hated Man of Steel.

superman returns was the worst superman movie I have ever seen. Ever. Richard Pryor was better. I prefer man of steel in every sense.

I would comment but Superman Returns is so forgettable I have trouble even comparing it to anything

I did like Brandon Routh as Superman, more so than Henry Cavill. At least we got a good joke out of that in the CWverse shows.


MMC,

Yeah that was a great joke moment. But also correct that Brandon Routh's Superman is better in my mind than Henry's.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm just shocked that anyone liked Man of Steel. To me, it's a perfect example of what's wrong with a lot of modern sci-fi/action movies: Tons of CGI action, half of which flies by on the screen too fast to keep up with, and absolutely no personality. I hated it for the same reason I hated the first Transformers movie (and never bothered seeing the sequels).


Fromper wrote:
I'm just shocked that anyone liked Man of Steel. To me, it's a perfect example of what's wrong with a lot of modern sci-fi/action movies: Tons of CGI action, half of which flies by on the screen too fast to keep up with, and absolutely no personality. I hated it for the same reason I hated the first Transformers movie (and never bothered seeing the sequels).

I do think Man of Steel had problems. The fate of his father was pointless angst, the Jesus allegory was heavy handed, and it raised questions it didn't answer (Not in the sequel hook sense, but in the setting and character building sense.) Also, like most Snyder films it focused more on visual spectacle than any other aspect.

Still, it presents a few things that are often missing from Superman stories. The oft-complained about devastation to the surroundings that results from super battles is an example of "show, don't tell" working as intended. It conveys to the viewer just how much power is involved in those battles in a way that is impossible to ignore. The reaction of the military with suspicion is far more believable than open acceptance when presented with a dangerously powerful alien being. Even the fate of Zod makes sense within the world of the film.

Spoiler:
The terraforming was literally his first big save the world crisis. He wasn't an experienced hero, or as Zod points out even an experienced fighter. The longer the battle went, the less chance Superman would be able to win. Also, there weren't really many options. This Superman didn't have a handy projector to open portals to the Phantom Zone. His only way to do that was a one-use trick that had already been consumed. Where could he have put Zod? No earth prison could hold him. Kryptonite was unknown at that point. It's unlikely Superman knew about the red sun effect either (if that's even a thing in this movie setting). Superman had to sacrifice his info link to Krypton in order to trap the others in the Phantom Zone. Fighting to a stalemate or withdrawing and hoping for a chance to research wasn't going to be productive.

I can respect that people don't like the idea of Superman doing that. I can also say that barring a deus ex machina solution, there wasn't much else that made sense.

It's not the best Superman film, but it's far from the worst.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Your spoiler has nothing to do with why I hated Man of Steel. I was actually fine with that one. In fact...

Man of Steel and Superman 2:
Many people forget that MoS wasn't the first movie in which Superman kills Zod. The Christopher Reeve version killed him in Superman 2. And it was actually COMPLETELY pointless in that one, since Zod had already been stripped of his superpowers, so he could have just been sent to a human jail. That was still a MUCH better movie, despite that and a couple of other minor problems.

Again, my complaint with Man of Steel is that it was all action and no personality. Zod was the only character who showed enough personality to be interesting, but he wasn't enough to carry the film.

And the action wasn't even good action - just a bunch of crap CGI, especially the destruction of Metropolis. Again, comparing to Superman 2 (IMHO, the best Superman movie so far), the battles were much better there, despite the much worse fx. When pieces were knocked off a building in Metropolis by the Kryptonian villains, they looked like actual stone, not texture-less CGI from a video game. And Superman rushed to catch them before they landed on anyone.

Man of Steel had some decent ideas. Like you said, the reaction of the military, the fate of Zod, even the fact that the battle was bigger in scale, so Superman saving everyone just wasn't an option like in the past movies. But the most of the characters were just plain boring. And Jonathan Kent's god-awful pointless death scene was absolutely the worst thing ever in a Superman film.


S2:
There was actually a cut scene where a powerless trio and Lex were arrested. Dunno why that was cut

Silver Crusade

MannyGoblin wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Superman 2:
I thought the powerless trio were dead, and they were just arresting Luthor. I've seen that deleted scene, but don't remember all of it.

As for why it was cut, the obvious answer is that it meant Superman inviting the cops into the Fortress of Solitude. It makes more sense for him to fly his captives back to civilization himself, without giving away the fortress's location. So I agree with cutting that one.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Suckerpunch is a brilliant movie. It is probably one of the most consistently misunderstood movies around. And yet, it really isn't very difficult. It also had the worst cutting job I have seen in a very long time.


Scythia wrote:
Fromper wrote:
I'm just shocked that anyone liked Man of Steel. To me, it's a perfect example of what's wrong with a lot of modern sci-fi/action movies: Tons of CGI action, half of which flies by on the screen too fast to keep up with, and absolutely no personality. I hated it for the same reason I hated the first Transformers movie (and never bothered seeing the sequels).

I do think Man of Steel had problems. The fate of his father was pointless angst, the Jesus allegory was heavy handed, and it raised questions it didn't answer (Not in the sequel hook sense, but in the setting and character building sense.) Also, like most Snyder films it focused more on visual spectacle than any other aspect.

Still, it presents a few things that are often missing from Superman stories. The oft-complained about devastation to the surroundings that results from super battles is an example of "show, don't tell" working as intended. It conveys to the viewer just how much power is involved in those battles in a way that is impossible to ignore. The reaction of the military with suspicion is far more believable than open acceptance when presented with a dangerously powerful alien being. Even the fate of Zod makes sense within the world of the film.
** spoiler omitted **...

Spoiler:
I don't mind the Zod killing, but I feel they could've shown his learning process more in the film- like, first he doesn't realize something and it causes lots of damage, second time he blocks and takes the hit instead. Earlier in the film he brought a fight into Smallville- yikes! Major fight, he should've tried to extract Zod from the city repeatedly, only for Zod to stop him and *that* to force the kill.

One of the big problems of the two recent Superman films is action-wise, he's a rookie and that makes sense in his indecision, doesn't-particularly-protect-things combat style, and so on. But they treat him as an icon heavy on jesus allegory! (which Superman *does not need*, he's Superman, not Jesus, and has a different theme)

Playing up the rookie angle and have him learn and it'd work smoother IMO


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Sissyl wrote:
Suckerpunch is a brilliant movie. It is probably one of the most consistently misunderstood movies around. And yet, it really isn't very difficult. It also had the worst cutting job I have seen in a very long time.

I can never forgive that movie for managing to make attractive women kicking the crud out of steam-powered German Zombies in World War I trenches (this is basically a list of three things that interest me intensely strung together in a seemingly-harmonious whole) boring.

It wasn't hard for me to follow, but... it didn't deliver the goods for me.

Oh, here's another I love in the teeth of popular opinion:

Waxwork.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E

It got some pretty bad reviews, but I liked it. It was clever, funny, and had some excellent 60s style. I think of the actor as Napoleon rather than Superman. I also love the banter between Ilya and Napoleon.


Another it's awful but I love it "classic", 1977's Snowbeast.

On the surface it's a cheesy film done in the post-Jaws period when everyone had to do a 'Killer Whatever' movie. We got killer dogs, killer bees, killer bears, killer demonically-possessed cars, so why not a killer Bigfoot film?

On the downside, it's a made for TV Killer Bigfoot movie with some of the stock character actors of the time. And we almost never get to see the monster! We just get some camera shots supposedly from its POV, and one shot of it peeking through a window at some women right before it eats one of them.

On the plus side, it's a competent made for TV Killer Bigfoot movie. When we do see the suit, it's well done for this sort of movie. And who wouldn't want to watch Bo Svenson, Yvette Mimieux, and Clint Walker defeat a snowbunny-munching Yeti?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Why its bad?
Misdirection of a buffet of small role cable TV actors lead by Charlie Hunnam. Enough CGI and fast pace action sequences to make your head explode.

Why I liked it?
Guy Ritchie back to his old habits. It was refreshing to get another take on King Arthur even if it was like Guy Ritchie meets Uwe Bol. I make no apologies :)


Fromper wrote:
MannyGoblin wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Regardless... in true Comic book fashion the 'deaths' were vague at best. They fell down a chasm, With no idea of how deep they were or what was down there. In a land full of snow...

I'm not saying they DID die... I'm not saying they DIDN'T die... but if they showed up in part V, it would be so easily explained...

The point of that show was more about neutralizing the threat, not about what happened afterward. Once their powers were taken, He could have them stored in his super-zoo for all we know. We really only see the 'Action playset' part of the Fortress as it is.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Cole Deschain wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
Suckerpunch is a brilliant movie. It is probably one of the most consistently misunderstood movies around. And yet, it really isn't very difficult. It also had the worst cutting job I have seen in a very long time.

I can never forgive that movie for managing to make attractive women kicking the crud out of steam-powered German Zombies in World War I trenches (this is basically a list of three things that interest me intensely strung together in a seemingly-harmonious whole) boring.

It wasn't hard for me to follow, but... it didn't deliver the goods for me.

Oh, here's another I love in the teeth of popular opinion:

Waxwork.

Waxwork is great, and the sequel is pretty awesome too.

I only just the other day realized that the main actress in Suckerpunch also plays the main lead's wife on American Gods. I hated her in the former where she just seemed like a completely vapid actress, but she does a solid Job in American Gods, so I guess I can just lay that on Snyder's bad direction.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

As a huge Superman fan since I was a very young child, who fondly remembers watching reruns of the 1950s TV series The Adventures of Superman on the local UHF TV channel back in the '70s, and who subscribed to Action Comics until the early '80s...

I absolutely hated Man of Steel.

Zack Snyder did not know, understand, or care about what makes Superman such a memorable character. Or, for that matter, that superhero movies are supposed to be fun.

I liked Superman Returns WAY more than I liked Man of Steel.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Haladir wrote:

As a huge Superman fan since I was a very young child, who fondly remembers watching reruns of the 1950s TV series The Adventures of Superman on the local UHF TV channel back in the '70s, and who subscribed to Action Comics until the early '80s...

I absolutely hated Man of Steel.

Zack Snyder did not know, understand, or care about what makes Superman such a memorable character. Or, for that matter, that superhero movies are supposed to be fun.

I liked Superman Returns WAY more than I liked Man of Steel.

Older folks enjoy movies that put them to sleep...

Spoiler:
j/k


Pan wrote:

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Why its bad?
Misdirection of a buffet of small role cable TV actors lead by Charlie Hunnam. Enough CGI and fast pace action sequences to make your head explode.

Why I liked it?
Guy Ritchie back to his old habits. It was refreshing to get another take on King Arthur even if it was like Guy Ritchie meets Uwe Bol. I make no apologies :)

We are probably the only two members of the audience that liked it :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Haladir wrote:

As a huge Superman fan since I was a very young child, who fondly remembers watching reruns of the 1950s TV series The Adventures of Superman on the local UHF TV channel back in the '70s, and who subscribed to Action Comics until the early '80s...

I absolutely hated Man of Steel.

Zack Snyder did not know, understand, or care about what makes Superman such a memorable character. Or, for that matter, that superhero movies are supposed to be fun.

I liked Superman Returns WAY more than I liked Man of Steel.

Older folks enjoy movies that put them to sleep...

** spoiler omitted **

Get off my lawn, you damn kids!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In all fairness, I can say one good thing for Superman Returns: Kevin Spacey's oddly hammy Luthor was better than Jesse Eisenberg's unhinged neurotic Luthor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Scythia,

I'm not sure that's much of a comfort for those of us that loved Michael Rosenbaum's Luthor...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Kevin Spacey did a great job of playing Luthor the same way Gene Hackman played him in the original movies. Just like Brandon Routh did a great job of playing Christopher Reeve (playing Superman and Clark Kent).


Fromper,

I won't disagree that Brandon did a pretty passable job pulling some Reeve into his Superman/Clark Kent.


Fromper wrote:
Kevin Spacey did a great job of playing Luthor the same way Gene Hackman played him in the original movies. Just like Brandon Routh did a great job of playing Christopher Reeve (playing Superman and Clark Kent).

Meanwhile, Eisenburg did a passable job of playing Luthor the same way Ledger played the joker in The Dark Knight.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Scythia wrote:
Fromper wrote:
Kevin Spacey did a great job of playing Luthor the same way Gene Hackman played him in the original movies. Just like Brandon Routh did a great job of playing Christopher Reeve (playing Superman and Clark Kent).
Meanwhile, Eisenburg did a passable job of playing Luthor the same way Ledger played the joker in The Dark Knight.

Exactly. It's like the folks behind the movie went "MAN PEOPLE LOVE HEATH LEDGER'S JOKER...LETS MAKE LEX JUST LIKE HIM"

Rather than you know...using Heath Ledger's take...on the actual DCEU Joker.


Yeah I prefer we didn't have a Lex Luthor that's like Heath Ledger's Joker.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

It really feels like they should have cast Eisenberg as the Joker, and let him channel what he did for Lex for Suicide Squad.

I still remember the early rumors/fantasies about Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor. What a missed opportunity.


MMC,

I wouldn't have minded that. I think Bryan could have brought some real menace and intelligence to the role. I mean look what he did with just a high school chem teacher! ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scythia wrote:
Fromper wrote:
Kevin Spacey did a great job of playing Luthor the same way Gene Hackman played him in the original movies. Just like Brandon Routh did a great job of playing Christopher Reeve (playing Superman and Clark Kent).
Meanwhile, Eisenburg did a passable job of playing Luthor the same way Ledger played the joker in The Dark Knight.

I just have a problem with a Lex Luthor that sounds like the "Camille" voice from a Prince album.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the dream we all dream, man of steel vs. the bat of Gotham..."

Liberty's Edge

Starfinder Superscriber

Dungeons & Dragons (2010)

Why it's bad: Because there is literally nothing good about it. It's terrible in every way possible.

Why I am listing it as something I liked: Because I had fun watching it. I watched it several years after it came out. Indeed, I watched it pretty close to when I watched Star Trek: Nemesis, and I found I enjoyed the D&D movie more than Nemesis, even though by any measure Nemesis is a way better movie.

Why? Because I went into the D&D movie knowing it was really horrible, having heard about it. And I wasn't completely bored, it was kind of fun to watch. I will never watch it again. But I expected it to be bad, really bad, like Jupiter Ascending bad (sorry, guys, I know some f you like it, but in my opinion that movie is worse than... well, worse than something really really bad.). And, it turned out better than I expected. It was still a gigantic stinker, but since I had less than zero expectations, I was pleasantly surprised.

(Nemesis, on the other hand, was an even-numbered Star Trek movie, following up the excellent First Contact and the "this is a solid episode of the TV series but a meh movie" Insurrection. I was expecting to like it. I was expecting it to be good. And it left me lukewarm. A few individual things pissed me off (e.g. that "clone" of Picard didn't look anything like him -- there's more to Patrick Steward than baldness!). But overall, the movie was just very blah, and spelled the end of TNG Star Trek.)

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber

Dragonheart (1996)

Why it's bad: It's very corny.

Why it's good: The dragon is a kitty.

Liberty's Edge

Starfinder Superscriber

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Why it's bad: Because it ruined Star Wars. It would have been bad without Jar-Jar. Then there was Jar-Jar.

Why it's good: John Williams.

Sovereign Court

rknop wrote:

Dungeons & Dragons (2010)

Was that the book of vile darkness D&D film? It was bad in just about every way except the story. I love the Paladin in wolf's clothing plot and it felt like watching every bad campaign id ever been in. Suppose most folks see that as bad, but its still damn entertaining!


Pan,

No that was the third one. The first one was with one of the Wayans and the beholder that apparently gets fooled by loud noises...

Sovereign Court

I thought the first was 1999? Does he mean the second one which was a sci-fi Saturday night flick?

301 to 350 of 366 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / "Bad" movies you actually like All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.