My top 10 products that need 'more'.


Product Discussion

1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I posted a new blog article today listing my top 10 3pp products that need 'more'. Yes these products are good but there's way too much potential to be 'gooder'.

So tell me what you think. What 3pp products made you go "YES!! This is just what I need!" but later had you wanting more? Doesn't matter if you actually need more or you're just greedy and want an expansion. Just that you want more.

And developers; Is there any more coming from any popular product you've had?

Short version of my list:

10. Culinary Magic
9. Book of Martial Action
8. Fantastic Technology
7. Feats of Runic Might
6. Way of Ki
5. Fighter Nuances
4. A Fistful of Denarii
3. ARMR stuff
2. Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters
1. Anachronistic Adventures


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Malwing, I am happy to tell you that Alex, captain and head Flaming Crab, has given the go ahead for a 20k word expansion of Culinary Magic called "The Culinary Magic Cookbook".

And I know there's a sequel to Fantastic Technology in the works.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I like this topic! Here are my 10.

10. New Paths
9. In the Company of X
8. Call to Arms
7. Bravery Feats
6. Bloodforge
5. Third Dawn
4. Everyman Unchained
3. Lords of the Night
2. Bloodforge
1. Akashic Mysteries

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Adam, I'm happy to report that there is indeed more coming in Kobold Press's New Paths line! In fact, I have a number of new classes written, playtested, developed and ready to go! I even approved cover art for one of those classes the other day - watch for it early in the new year!


Adam B. 135 wrote:

I like this topic! Here are my 10.

10. New Paths
9. In the Company of X
8. Call to Arms
7. Bravery Feats
6. Bloodforge
5. Third Dawn
4. Everyman Unchained
3. Lords of the Night
2. Bloodforge
1. Akashic Mysteries

Please tell me more about what you feel LotN was missing. This is the first time it's been mentioned like this and I am intensely curious.


I think he meant "more of this type" from DSP. More setting injections!


Yeah. The premise I'm posing isnt' nessesarily that a product is missing something and definitely not that something is wrong, but that we want more, whether the desire is founded or we just like the product and we're greedy.

New Paths Compendium was almost on my list because it filled in a lot of holes and gave some good ideas making me just want more. In the first installment we have an arcane Full BAB class, Factotum, a good aligned necromancer, a spontaneous Druid, a 20 level arcane archer and mystic theurge from 1st level. That's awesome and neatly fills in gaps in a way that really works. I want more of that. Maybe there will be an alchemist at different BABs. Maybe a more rogue-ish version of the magus. Maybe a spell-less Sorcerer, or a spell-less Paladin. What about an all alignment Paladin? Who knows but if it just sports simple and reaching designs it can be amazing. Not to mention the feats, scaling items, condensed feats, and more of the classes from the first New Paths Compendium. I love the book but I would love to have more of at least new archetypes for the classes.

Everyman Unchained wouldn't have made the list but I am interested in whether or not they will tackle the unchained action economy. After some tweaking it has been the best thing to happen in IRL games but online it seems to not get the time of day because it needs tweaking at all. would be nice for it to get some polish and expansion.


Speaking of spell less sorcerors. The Big Book of Bloodlines has a class (I think) that's all about blood line powers and stuff instead of spells.


More of good things! I don't have a list of ten, but I do have a list of two.

1. More Pact Magic from Radiance - which I know is coming soon.

2. More Covenant Magic - which I hope is popular enough to continue support.

In both cases, I'd love to see how they might be influenced/integrated with material from Occult Adventures.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All the Covenant Magic releases have covered their costs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am very happy to have done my part there. :)

I will take your response as an oblique indication my hopes are not in vain.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Great thread theme! Here's my list - although these are in no particular order.

***
***
***

01. Akashic Mysteries (Dreamscarred)
02. 101 Special Materials and Power Components (Rite)
03. 101 XXXXXXX Spells (Rite) ........... Subterranean, Darkness/Shadow, etc.
04. Path of Shadows (Ascension)
05. Covenant Magic (Purple Duck)
06. Feats of Runic Might (Rogue Genius)
07. Faerie Ring (Zombie Sky Press)
08. Antipodism (Interjection Games)
09. Sunken Empires (Kobold Press)
10. Pact Magic (Radiance House)

***

My group can't get enough of the above titles. Even though some of them are quite comprehensive and expanded in scope.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Malwing wrote:

I posted a new blog article today listing my top 10 3pp products that need 'more'. Yes these products are good but there's way too much potential to be 'gooder'.

So tell me what you think. What 3pp products made you go "YES!! This is just what I need!" but later had you wanting more? Doesn't matter if you actually need more or you're just greedy and want an expansion. Just that you want more.

And developers; Is there any more coming from any popular product you've had?

Short version of my list:

10. Culinary Magic
9. Book of Martial Action
8. Fantastic Technology
7. Feats of Runic Might
6. Way of Ki
5. Fighter Nuances
4. A Fistful of Denarii
3. ARMR stuff
2. Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters
1. Anachronistic Adventures

There is, in fact, an expansion to The Way of Ki that has been percolating on the back burner for far too long that will likely see the light of day early next year. Tentative title: The Way of the Blade.


I'm always down to see more Psionics stuff from DSP, especially because I have this odd urge to see if they ever do a redone version of the 3.5 Diamond Dragon prestige. Spheres of Power is definitely something I want more of. Havent gotten to play a character using it yet, but I know I want more toys to use with that system, especially the Destruction sphere. And while the Into the Breach series had had some minor issues before, I always found the archetypes interesting and wanted to really play at least one or two of them from each book (Shadow Caster summoner was a very fun character to play for me.)


I'm glad to hear about The Way of the Blade. Way of Ki is just all kinds of useful.


Prince of Knives wrote:
Adam B. 135 wrote:

I like this topic! Here are my 10.

10. New Paths
9. In the Company of X
8. Call to Arms
7. Bravery Feats
6. Bloodforge
5. Third Dawn
4. Everyman Unchained
3. Lords of the Night
2. Bloodforge
1. Akashic Mysteries

Please tell me more about what you feel LotN was missing. This is the first time it's been mentioned like this and I am intensely curious.

My apologies! I did not mean it that way. Lords of the Night feels quite complete. I put it on the list to say "I want more Lords of the X" material.

Marc Radle wrote:
Adam, I'm happy to report that there is indeed more coming in Kobold Press's New Paths line! In fact, I have a number of new classes written, playtested, developed and ready to go! I even approved cover art for one of those classes the other day - watch for it early in the new year!

Fantastic news! 2016 is going to be a great year. I just feel it.


Malwing wrote:


10. Culinary Magic
9. Book of Martial Action
8. Fantastic Technology
7. Feats of Runic Might
6. Way of Ki
5. Fighter Nuances
4. A Fistful of Denarii
3. ARMR stuff
2. Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters
1. Anachronistic Adventures

Have you had a look at the Monk Unfettered ?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't have anywhere near enough experience with 3pp that Malwing has. So I can't generate a top 10 list.

However something that did leave me wanting more was Dark Roads and Golden Hells from Kobold Press. I really enjoyed this book and was hoping there would be more treatment of the "main planes" versus the new ones.

I'd like to see Kobold Press tackle The Abyss, Elysium, etc.

Paizo Employee Design Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Man, really fills you up with warm fuzzies to pop into a thread and see your products being mentioned by multiple people (particularly more than one product!).

As the author of Akashic Mysteries, I'm happy to report that there will be a lot more material in that product line, as well as supporting materials in other DSP products like our upcoming Arcforge release, where I'll have a chapter on refluffing Akasha as cybernetics and a selection of tech-themed veils.

I also saw Bravery feats mentioned, and Owen at RGG and I have actually worked on an expansion, but I've had some trouble getting in touch with him lately and I'm not sure what's going on there, but I would definitely love to expand that, maybe even into a big release of Bravery, Tactical, and other Combat feats.


Ssalarn wrote:

Man, really fills you up with warm fuzzies to pop into a thread and see your products being mentioned by multiple people (particularly more than one product!).

As the author of Akashic Mysteries, I'm happy to report that there will be a lot more material in that product line, as well as supporting materials in other DSP products like our upcoming Arcforge release, where I'll have a chapter on refluffing Akasha as cybernetics and a selection of tech-themed veils.

I also saw Bravery feats mentioned, and Owen at RGG and I have actually worked on an expansion, but I've had some trouble getting in touch with him lately and I'm not sure what's going on there, but I would definitely love to expand that, maybe even into a big release of Bravery, Tactical, and other Combat feats.

Woo-hoo on both Akashic and Bravery expansions!


LoreKeeper wrote:
Malwing wrote:


10. Culinary Magic
9. Book of Martial Action
8. Fantastic Technology
7. Feats of Runic Might
6. Way of Ki
5. Fighter Nuances
4. A Fistful of Denarii
3. ARMR stuff
2. Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters
1. Anachronistic Adventures
Have you had a look at the Monk Unfettered ?

I have Monk Unfettered but I havn't really gotten the chance to do more than skim it. As it stands my current base class vetted list includes Regular Monk, who's augmented by third party meditations and ki feats, Unchained Monk, and the Talented Monk. Monk Unfettered and Monk Reborn dropped off my radar despite having them because:

1) I have a lot of monk replacements and pseudo monks. At this point I consider the monk a 'fixed' class so I haven't been prioritizing looking at more monk replacements as opposed to new things to attach to one of the three monks I have already.

2) Monk Unfettered is one of those things that needs some playtesting and math crunching to judge because the issues with monk is complicated. I can give my impressions on it but I don't think I can give a review, if that makes sense.

3) I'm currently doing steampunk and scifi campaigns which is seeing way less Monk/ki play. Its kind of on the same stack and Dragon-Tiger-Ox in terms of things that were dependent on running a wuxia campaign before I look at them too deeply, especially since I have a specific wuxia campaign I'm outlining for the future.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

While I still 100% stand by my Top 10 entries that I posted earlier today ... I have to give special mention to a publisher who has successfully accomplished (over a long time) the overarching objective of Malwing's intent for this whole thread.

That being Legendary Games. I have been so in love with the entire line of Mythic Monster Plug-Ins ... that as soon as I bought & read a given title, I would sit there and think of how much I NEED MORE of this product (i.e. the title of this thread), but with a different race-or-theme of monsters. And time after time, Legendary Games delivered. But it sure was a tease. Because I've gone through this routine with 31 of their Mythic Monster titles ... and I just keep hoping that *ALL* of them will one day show up at the Paizo Superstore in a nice handy hardcover manual. Lol. And that's no disrespect to their partial accomplishment of that wish of mine - the awesome Mythic Monster Manual.

*******

And to Malwing, I kinda interpreted this intended thread of yours to be primarily about crunch and game-mechanic books ... not so much adventures, modules, campaign settings and GM aides. Because I could see a whole new roster of 10 titles filling that gaming niche right there.


Crai wrote:


And to Malwing, I kinda interpreted this intended thread of yours to be primarily about crunch and game-mechanic books ... not so much adventures, modules, campaign settings and GM aides. Because I could see a whole new roster of 10 titles filling that gaming niche right there.

That's because I don't own very many campaign setting books or adventures. Most of the time I tend to pick up things that I feel can adjust be setting neutral to adjust to whatever homebrew setting or adventure I had. Also I have a bunch of paizo modules and adventure paths to deal with so I rarely get a chance for other settings and adventures since I have to go through that and my own homebrews.

Also I haven't been playing as long as some people so I've had less time with the game to go through stuff.

I am checking out more 3pp adventures, but I don't have enough consistent groups to go through them at a good pace.


Malwing wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:
Malwing wrote:


6. Way of Ki
Have you had a look at the Monk Unfettered ?

I have Monk Unfettered but I havn't really gotten the chance to do more than skim it. As it stands my current base class vetted list includes Regular Monk, who's augmented by third party meditations and ki feats, Unchained Monk, and the Talented Monk. Monk Unfettered and Monk Reborn dropped off my radar despite having them because:

1) I have a lot of monk replacements and pseudo monks. At this point I consider the monk a 'fixed' class so I haven't been prioritizing looking at more monk replacements as opposed to new things to attach to one of the three monks I have already.

2) Monk Unfettered is one of those things that needs some playtesting and math crunching to judge because the issues with monk is complicated. I can give my impressions on it but I don't think I can give a review, if that makes sense.

3) I'm currently doing steampunk and scifi campaigns which is seeing way less Monk/ki play. Its kind of on the same stack and Dragon-Tiger-Ox in terms of things that were dependent on running a wuxia campaign before I look at them too deeply, especially since I have a specific wuxia campaign I'm outlining for the future.

Ah... that explains. I do hope you get around to it then; I hope you'll find the unfettered monk is capable of filling character concepts that the official sources have trouble with.

That said; you can easily use the monk unfettered insights as new ki powers/feats without adopting the class chassis as well.


LoreKeeper wrote:
Malwing wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:
Malwing wrote:


6. Way of Ki
Have you had a look at the Monk Unfettered ?

I have Monk Unfettered but I havn't really gotten the chance to do more than skim it. As it stands my current base class vetted list includes Regular Monk, who's augmented by third party meditations and ki feats, Unchained Monk, and the Talented Monk. Monk Unfettered and Monk Reborn dropped off my radar despite having them because:

1) I have a lot of monk replacements and pseudo monks. At this point I consider the monk a 'fixed' class so I haven't been prioritizing looking at more monk replacements as opposed to new things to attach to one of the three monks I have already.

2) Monk Unfettered is one of those things that needs some playtesting and math crunching to judge because the issues with monk is complicated. I can give my impressions on it but I don't think I can give a review, if that makes sense.

3) I'm currently doing steampunk and scifi campaigns which is seeing way less Monk/ki play. Its kind of on the same stack and Dragon-Tiger-Ox in terms of things that were dependent on running a wuxia campaign before I look at them too deeply, especially since I have a specific wuxia campaign I'm outlining for the future.

Ah... that explains. I do hope you get around to it then; I hope you'll find the unfettered monk is capable of filling character concepts that the official sources have trouble with.

That said; you can easily use the monk unfettered insights as new ki powers/feats without adopting the class chassis as well.

Well I'm pretty much done with my request reviews. Aside from a general request to review more Rite Publishing books I have, so right now I'm reading the Martial Arts book. I can take a deeper look at Monk Unfettered and so how it fits in.


Malwing wrote:
Well I'm pretty much done with my request reviews. Aside from a general request to review more Rite Publishing books I have, so right now I'm reading the Martial Arts book. I can take a deeper look at Monk Unfettered and so how it fits in.

Holding thumbs for myself

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Crai wrote:

While I still 100% stand by my Top 10 entries that I posted earlier today ... I have to give special mention to a publisher who has successfully accomplished (over a long time) the overarching objective of Malwing's intent for this whole thread.

That being Legendary Games. I have been so in love with the entire line of Mythic Monster Plug-Ins ... that as soon as I bought & read a given title, I would sit there and think of how much I NEED MORE of this product (i.e. the title of this thread), but with a different race-or-theme of monsters. And time after time, Legendary Games delivered. But it sure was a tease. Because I've gone through this routine with 31 of their Mythic Monster titles ... and I just keep hoping that *ALL* of them will one day show up at the Paizo Superstore in a nice handy hardcover manual. Lol. And that's no disrespect to their partial accomplishment of that wish of mine - the awesome Mythic Monster Manual.

Thanks for the kind words, Crai, but don't stop now! We're up to 33 Mythic Monsters now! And Mythic Monsters: Egypt should be coming your way next week!


I don't know if I have a top ten but there are a number of 3pp products that merely whet my appetite for more of the same.

1. It Came From the Stars. I want more symbiot feats, more equipment, more monsters and more MORE.

2. Mythic Paths of the Lost Spheres. I want more. My major beef with the Mythic Paths provided is I more often had characters that fell outside the presented archetypes than in. Lost Spheres opened it up so that you could really play Mythic without having to have such a limited box of toys to choose from. Want more.

3. Deep Magic. Good book. Big Book. But a big book with lots of concepts only slightly explored. I want more Ooze Magic. I want more Clockwork Magic. I want more of all the awesome presented within. And I'd also like some of the missing spells.

4. Divine Channeler. A favorite of my group. I'd love to see options for the subdomains so we can get even more play out of this class.


Craig Bonham 141 wrote:

I don't know if I have a top ten but there are a number of 3pp products that merely whet my appetite for more of the same.

1. It Came From the Stars. I want more symbiot feats, more equipment, more monsters and more MORE.

2. Mythic Paths of the Lost Spheres. I want more. My major beef with the Mythic Paths provided is I more often had characters that fell outside the presented archetypes than in. Lost Spheres opened it up so that you could really play Mythic without having to have such a limited box of toys to choose from. Want more.

3. Deep Magic. Good book. Big Book. But a big book with lots of concepts only slightly explored. I want more Ooze Magic. I want more Clockwork Magic. I want more of all the awesome presented within. And I'd also like some of the missing spells.

4. Divine Channeler. A favorite of my group. I'd love to see options for the subdomains so we can get even more play out of this class.

It Came From the Stars almost made the list but at this point, aside from easy and functional spaceship/mecha/vehicle rules, I have basically all I need to run Planetfinder, plus there are a few things that are coming out that fill in more niches in that genre. At this point it's just a waiting game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Craig Bonham 141 wrote:

...

3. Deep Magic. Good book. Big Book. But a big book with lots of concepts only slightly explored. I want more Ooze Magic. I want more Clockwork Magic. I want more of all the awesome presented within. And I'd also like some of the missing spells.

Deep Magic holds such a unique position in my beloved PF 3PP library. Such a breathtakingly diverse, innovative and visionary book of magic spells in concept and flavor thematics. But, boy howdy ... we are *still fixing* a huge chunk of the mechanics of these spells to get them properly balanced.

I too, would love to see Deep Magic #2 be published. With the caveat that way more attention be paid to playtesting and comparative game-mechanic analysis.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adam B. 135 wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:
Adam, I'm happy to report that there is indeed more coming in Kobold Press's New Paths line! In fact, I have a number of new classes written, playtested, developed and ready to go! I even approved cover art for one of those classes the other day - watch for it early in the new year!
Fantastic news! 2016 is going to be a great year. I just feel it.

Awesome!

There will be plenty for fans of the New Paths line to be happy about in the new year.

In fact, if everything falls into place, fans of the New Paths Compendium specifically might have reason to rejoice :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

More Spheres of Power (Drop Dead Studios)! I can't recommend it enough for those that are tired of Vancian magic, and I do hope to see it expanded and improved.

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Adam B. 135 wrote:
4. Everyman Unchained

Thanks for the shoutout!

Freelancer Carl Cremer and I have teamed up and are currently working on Everyman Unchained: Eidolons and Everyman Unchained: Summoner Archetypes. :D

Contributor

Malwing wrote:

Everyman Unchained wouldn't have made the list but I am interested in whether or not they will tackle the unchained action economy. After some tweaking it has been the best thing to happen in IRL games but online it seems to not get the time of day because it needs tweaking at all. would be nice for it to get some polish and expansion.

It wasn't on my list, but now you have me curious: what do you think the unchained action economy system is missing that would warrant me tackling it in a product?


Alexander Augunas wrote:
Adam B. 135 wrote:
4. Everyman Unchained

Thanks for the shoutout!

Freelancer Carl Cremer and I have teamed up and are currently working on Everyman Unchained: Eidolons and Everyman Unchained: Summoner Archetypes. :D

I have a friend who's gonna be super interested in this! Score!


Alexander Augunas wrote:
Malwing wrote:

Everyman Unchained wouldn't have made the list but I am interested in whether or not they will tackle the unchained action economy. After some tweaking it has been the best thing to happen in IRL games but online it seems to not get the time of day because it needs tweaking at all. would be nice for it to get some polish and expansion.

It wasn't on my list, but now you have me curious: what do you think the unchained action economy system is missing that would warrant me tackling it in a product?

Well there are some things that become obsolete and either need to be removed from the game or rewritten.

There's a lot of bellyaching about not being able to full attack and get your swift action buffs but since most of them last more than one in play it doesn't actually effect much in my opinion. However there are some one turn swift action buffs that definitely work badly in the revised action economy, the most obvious of which is Arcane Strike.

Some feats are just way worse or useless. Vital Strike goes from okay to terrible since the main benefit (moving and striking effectively) is out the window. Spring Attack and it's sister feats are basically useless so them and any related feat would need to be rewritten.

Level 1-3 is exceptionally lethal since three attacks are online from the get-go making full BAB characters extra busted at early levels.

There's a current debate I saw over how to handle Haste effects with the argument of whether or not the extra attack is at no penalty or at a -15 penalty.

Now personally it takes little effort to handle these problems so I don't think there needs to be an entire book about it. Just a few rewritten abilities and some clarification about timing scaling and conversion. But its a system of resolving combat that gets rid of a lot of complications and breaks up the full attack paradigm, one of the single most complained about things in 3.X, but online its generally disliked so I'm guessing there's more problems than what I've run into.

Personally I'm more into expanded Stamina-based rules. As I mentioned in the article I've been using Book of Martial Action because stamina seems like a perfect means of inserting Path of War style combat actions or even out of combat actions in the main game. Although frankly between Martial Actions, Bravery Feats, Fighter Nuances, The Weapon Master's Handbook, and Stamina I'm sure Figthers will pretty much be unstoppable battle beasts if they get too much more support.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Umbral Reaver wrote:
More Spheres of Power (Drop Dead Studios)! I can't recommend it enough for those that are tired of Vancian magic, and I do hope to see it expanded and improved.

If you haven't heard, Spheres of Power is currently getting expanded. Meyers started up a Patreon to help him fund a series of smaller handbooks (one for each sphere) that adds more material in each theme. Two books have already been released: The Geomancer's Handbook for the Nature Sphere and the Telekinetic's Handbook. The plan is to release one each month until there are no more spheres or ideas left.

Just for full disclosure, Meyers brought on some additional writers to help him with the workload, and I'm one of them (the Telekinetic Handbook is largely my work). I don't want to toot my own horn but [VUVUZELA NOISES.]


2 people marked this as a favorite.

At some point I hope those Spheres of Power expansions get compiled into a print book. I'm not thrilled with a bunch of 30 page print books but I'm totally into a big fat expansion book for table use purposes.


Malwing wrote:
At some point I hope those Spheres of Power expansions get compiled into a print book. I'm not thrilled with a bunch of 30 page print books but I'm totally into a big fat expansion book for table use purposes.

I could get behind it, and a quick inquiry does indicate that its a possibility, though it'll take a while before all the content is done.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Malwing wrote:
I'm not thrilled with a bunch of 30 page print books but I'm totally into a big fat expansion book for table use purposes.

Sometimes releasing smaller books in a series is the only way to make a big book possible. Outside of kickstarters big books can be both very costly and risky.

Monsters of Porphyra 2 is currently costing me $4600 with probably another $1000 to finish it.

Lands of Porphyra took $3500 out of my budget but I spread its costs over a couple of years.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Purple Duck Games wrote:
Malwing wrote:
I'm not thrilled with a bunch of 30 page print books but I'm totally into a big fat expansion book for table use purposes.

Sometimes releasing smaller books in a series is the only way to make a big book possible. Outside of kickstarters big books can be both very costly and risky.

Monsters of Porphyra 2 is currently costing me $4600 with probably another $1000 to finish it.

Lands of Porphyra took $3500 out of my budget but I spread its costs over a couple of years.

The truth is, 3pp publishing can be a bit of a nightmare cost-wise. The books are expected to be near the same quality as those put out by larger publishers in terms of content, layout, and art but they don't sell nearly as many copies. Writing, art, and layout all need to be accounted for in the budget. Even those publishers that do layout themselves have to spend money on it. The software needed for professional layout work costs more than many books will ever make in profit. Some writers will take back-end pay (a percentage of sales) but that only eats into the profits that the publisher has to invest in future books. Artists almost never take a percentage of sales and usually need to be commissioned by the piece. Even black and white artwork can be quite pricey in today's market. Maps are even more expensive due to how time intensive they can be.

And that's all without printing or shipping costs factored in for physical books.

Mind you, publishers want to put out the best books possible. First, those usually review and sell better. Second, 3pp publishers are gamers who do this for their love of the hobby. They want to put out products they would be proud to have at their table. That isn't easy, even before you figure in how much it costs in terms of time and money,

So, back to the point. Smaller books are cost effective. They require fewer words, less art, less time in beta and editing and layout, can be produced more quickly and releases more often. They are often more profitable than the big ones and allow publishers to test subjects that might be too niche to sell well. Flaming Crab Games, for example, specifically uses their Letters from the Flaming Crab line to test the waters and see if a strange but interesting concept such as culinary magic or tiny dragons or winged cavalry can generate enough interest to support a larger book down the road. Fat Goblin Games does the same thing with their Sidebars line.


Still favor collected books. They're easy to navigate at the table so I'm perfectly willing to use Print on demand or print it myself. In fact its less expensive for me to print a large book over a lot of small books. The exceptions are books that have a lot of GM or prep work information. I rather keep those on my computer because that's where I plan campaigns. Especially monster books since I print individual monsters when I need them rather than lug around five books for the less than a dozen monsters that the will appear in the session.


Collected books are, indeed, awesome. And because much of the art and writing is paid for already, and the layout and editing mostly done, fairly cheap to put together. Printing becomes an issue but only if the book isn't PoD.

We intend to collect Letters from the Flaming Crab into a single volume down the road. I believe at 10 volumes. Or maybe 12.


JGray wrote:

Collected books are, indeed, awesome. And because much of the art and writing is paid for already, and the layout and editing mostly done, fairly cheap to put together. Printing becomes an issue but only if the book isn't PoD.

We intend to collect Letters from the Flaming Crab into a single volume down the road. I believe at 10 volumes. Or maybe 12.

To me, or at lest based on what I've seen, Letters from the Flaming Crab is one of those things that doesn't really need it if it's printer friendly. The series has haunts, a very GM oriented subject, and two other books that are very different in subject. Plus they're short enough where I can just print them out on my home printer and staple them together if I really need it at the table. I don't know how much demand there is from anyone else for them to be collected but between the subject matter and brevity of the books I personally am not clamoring for a collection on that front.


whelp since i am going to be putting off nuanced fighter till i have more time to playtest it, nuances part 2(stamina) shouldn't take significantly longer to put out. working 2 full time jobs and trying to plan for a wedding has admittedly gotten in the way of me finishing but the slow season should be coming up after the holidays which should free up some time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes, sorry to be tardy as well - been keeping tabs on the thread, but like Christos, real life is keeping me from...stuff.

Thanks for the considered shout-out Malwing!

The good news is that I'm getting close to finally pushing Yggdrasil out the door, and Warpriest: Nuances (working title) is 98% complete. Just have one chart to finish and it's ready.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

Malwing wrote:
Stamina-based rules.

You should be very interested in Legendary Fighters, which is on the docket for early next year.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

A Few Denarii More was supposed to come out in 2012. But it didn't. Sorry about that. But I haven't forgotten!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jason Nelson wrote:
Malwing wrote:
Stamina-based rules.
You should be very interested in Legendary Fighters, which is on the docket for early next year.

Stop, stop! If I get any more excited I'll pass our.

@RJGrady: despite the Aethera kickstarter I'm more concerned about conquest of the universe. I have a space campaign next month and since I missed the kickstarter I have to wait til it's actually out for content. Although AFoD support is nice too.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Just want to pop in and say @JGray was spot on with his post. Small publisher means small budget for things like editing, layout, art, etc. Please forgive a few grammar mistakes, black and white art pieces, and whatnot on 3pp products. We are working with shoestring budgets most of the time (even on KS projects).

1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / My top 10 products that need 'more'. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.