Flanking Bonuses stack right?


Rules Questions


Are flanking bonuses untyped and, therefore, stack or are they considered the same type such as "flanking bonus"?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can you be a bit more specific? Especially on how you would get more than one flanking bonus?

The general rule is that bonuses of the same type do not stack. The only exceptions are dodge and untyped bonuses. Since flanking IS a type of bonus, multiple instances, however you're managing them, do not stack. You take the highest.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

You either have a flanking bonus or you do not. I'm not sure how you could get a second one.


The only way I know to somehow get more than one flanking bonus would be Pack Flanking with your AnC/Familiar and then have tradition flanking positioning with another person. I do not believe that flanking bonuses would stack; however, I do not know any specific rule that states otherwise.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Faelyn wrote:
The only way I know to somehow get more than one flanking bonus would be Pack Flanking with your AnC/Familiar and then have tradition flanking positioning with another person. I do not believe that flanking bonuses would stack; however, I do not know any specific rule that states otherwise.

The approach is simple. You have the general rule on stacking bonuses. if the mechanic you use does not SPECIFICALLY call out an exception, the general rule applies. Which in this case means No, they do not stack.


"When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by another enemy character or creature on its opposite border or opposite corner."
I suppose (for larger opponents) you could interpret this as +2 for each flanker supporting you. But in that case, a 'flanking' bonus looks like a typed bonus so they don't stack.


LazarX wrote:
Faelyn wrote:
The only way I know to somehow get more than one flanking bonus would be Pack Flanking with your AnC/Familiar and then have tradition flanking positioning with another person. I do not believe that flanking bonuses would stack; however, I do not know any specific rule that states otherwise.
The approach is simple. You have the general rule on stacking bonuses. if the mechanic you use does not SPECIFICALLY call out an exception, the general rule applies. Which in this case means No, they do not stack.

Agreed, Laz, but unfortunately there seems to have been a rash of people that demand to have written proof that disputes their claim. Even if their claim comes from a misreading of rules and adding things where there wasn't anything before.


You cannot flank an opponent multiples times. You either are, or aren't flanking them.

Some feats change the positional requirements for flanking. Some feats enhance the bonus to attack rolls you get for flanking. But it's always just flanking, and you can only do it once per creature.


I mean if you get something that increases your flanking bonus and you also have another ability that increases the bonus and end up meeting both requirements for them to activate would it stack?


I assume you mean something like:menacing stacking with
outflank.

Yes they stack.

However if, for example, you had 2 different abilities worded similarly to outflank they wouldn't stack as they would both set your bonus to a fixed number.
If you had 2 different abilities worded like menacing they would stack as they are untyped bonuses.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Barachiel Shina wrote:
I mean if you get something that increases your flanking bonus and you also have another ability that increases the bonus and end up meeting both requirements for them to activate would it stack?

Can you give us an example of what you are looking at that is causing your confusion? I mean are you referencing something like a feat or ability?


Generally speaking it is good to be as specific as possible when asking your question because we may not understand what you're actually asking.

Please give us the specific abilities/items/etc that you're looking at and we can determine how they would interact.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Flanking Bonuses stack right? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.