Black Marketeer really worth it?


Advice


Pretty much what the title says. Black Marketeer gives you a resource pool worth 100 GP that you can spend on the black market, but the lack of long term effects seems like it would be pretty useless except thematically.


That is correct


Eeeeyup.

That may just be a candidate for worst Feat ever.

There is a Trait (meant to be HALF a Feat, mind you) that gives THREE TIMES this benefit.

Silver Crusade

While the starting amount of 100GP is quite low, this feat does give you access to all sorts of resources you'd normally be hard pressed to get, and there's no reason you can't add your own money to the pool.

It could be quite useful if you routinely need to buy poisons, dead bodies, drugs, or other such things, or even if you'd want to buy more normal items in countries with odd laws.

And that's not even taking into account the ability to buy secrets, in exchange for secrets of equal value. In an adventurer's career, one usually comes across loads of secrets that would be perfect to trade for plot points or vital background information.


Daniel Yeatman wrote:

While the starting amount of 100GP is quite low, this feat does give you access to all sorts of resources you'd normally be hard pressed to get, and there's no reason you can't add your own money to the pool.

It could be quite useful if you routinely need to buy poisons, dead bodies, drugs, or other such things, or even if you'd want to buy more normal items in countries with odd laws.

And that's not even taking into account the ability to buy secrets, in exchange for secrets of equal value. In an adventurer's career, one usually comes across loads of secrets that would be perfect to trade for plot points or vital background information.

Except it doesn't give you access to any of those things.

It gives you a pool of money that can only be spent on those things.

Black market connections are a roleplay thing, not a mechanics things. They're not described anywhere, and there's no set in stone mechanical way of forming them.

This is just another example of a terrible Feat published in a weird campaign setting book written by people who aren't actual Paizo designers.


Well, any feasts you would suggest for a person who sells drugs ont he black market.


it feels like some information is missing in this feat. Otherwise it is only good for npc's, giving them some poison or the like to use in an ambush.

I rather feel it should be a pool that replenishes somehow and maybe able to increase the value.


Artifix wrote:
Well, any feasts you would suggest for a person who sells drugs ont he black market.

I'd recommend duck. It's a good food for any occasion, whether you're celebrating a successful drug sale or trying to wine and dine the fences on the black market.


I think investing in appropriate skills will do more than feats in this case.

Diplomacy for information gathering

Knowledge local to identify hidden organisations and local players

Heal, for some basic knowledge about the effects of drugs

Bluff/Sense motive/intimidate for tricky negotiations

sleight of hand for some required street magic to conjure up samples and concealed weapons when needed.

craft alchemy if you want knowledge about its ingredients

appraise to estimate the value of a batch of drugs


If you want to play the ultimate black market style character, try a negotiator bard and use the rogue talents to pick up things like black market connections.


For the most part, this seems like a feat that might only see use in evil campaigns.

This seems like a quick way to get slaves and/or dead bodies really. Everything else can be made with appropriate craft checks.

So this is mostly for those that have to feed something nasty to keep it happy. That is the only use I can see in this.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Black Marketeer doesn't explain how the resource pool works, leaving you to assume that it simply gives you 100 bucks and nothing more.

I think the author intended it worked similar to the Cost of Living rules where you can automatically procure cheap illicit items, but that's not what's written on paper.


Cyrad wrote:

Black Marketeer doesn't explain how the resource pool works, leaving you to assume that it simply gives you 100 bucks and nothing more.

I think the author intended it worked similar to the Cost of Living rules where you can automatically procure cheap illicit items, but that's not what's written on paper.

That's my guess as well.


CampinCarl9127 wrote:
If you want to play the ultimate black market style character, try a negotiator bard and use the rogue talents to pick up things like black market connections.

I am using a Alchemist of the Homoculist archtype as that lets me get a familiar that I can use to emulate a dream spider. And I can use the web from the dream spider to make shiver.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Black Marketeer really worth it? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.