Obscure or Complicated Character Mechanics


Advice

Grand Lodge

Hey Folks,

I've been focusing on creating characters that give me the opportunity to play with some of the more obscure or lesser known character mechanics, but I'm running out of ideas. I play a lot of casters and have labored to absorb all of the animal companion rules. I've scratched the more difficult classes from the Advanced Class Guide and have advanced a couple of the Occult Adventures classes. I'm even eyeing a serpent-fire adept from Occult Origins to play around with Chakras. What character mechanics do you think are particularly challenging to master?

Scarab Sages

xebeche wrote:

Hey Folks,

I've been focusing on creating characters that give me the opportunity to play with some of the more obscure or lesser known character mechanics, but I'm running out of ideas. I play a lot of casters and have labored to absorb all of the animal companion rules.

Druids log for the animal companion rules (some of which will still give you a headache if you look at them too hard)

The druid in general: you need to cross reference the druid, the bestiaries,the beast shape/elemental body spells and especially the polymorph subschool description in the magic chapter, AND the polymorph subschool in the magic chapter , and the polymorph subschool description in the magic chapter... but if you do its amazing. Its got a counter for everything an adventure can throw at you.

Flutter here was an exercise in playing with the wild empathy mechanics. (Normally a useless ability. But if you find yourself attacked by the absolom zoo...)

I'm not quite grocking what the occultist is supposed to do exactly (yet)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Dirty Tricks.

Illusions.

Shadow Lodge

A Skulking Slayer who great cleaves with dirty tricks can get really complex.

There's a boatload of TWF Feint and TWF Disarm feats and somebody should do something nasty with them.

Darkness effects.


Do you have Occult Origins? There are some interesting archetypes that grant merge various class features.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Illusions, and specifically, Shadow magic.

Strong, but complex.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Charge, Trample, Overrun. Together they force mounted-combat-focused PCs into early retirement.

Alchemists.

Anything involving "hands".

Improvised Weapons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Use magic device. Potentially the most powerful skill in the game.


Mounted archery

Someone who trips/disarms as their primary

Shadow Lodge

I see UMD in just about every table I attend. It's just that powerful.

Now mounted archery, that might be interesting to see. Too bad the samurai, who get a feature actually called that, can't challenge enemies with ranged weapons. I'd be all over a halfling or wayang samurai riding a wolf in o-yoroi barding.


Muser wrote:

I see UMD in just about every table I attend. It's just that powerful.

Now mounted archery, that might be interesting to see. Too bad the samurai, who get a feature actually called that, can't challenge enemies with ranged weapons. I'd be all over a halfling or wayang samurai riding a wolf in o-yoroi barding.

Add a Cavalier dip to help with that? (I'm not 100% up on Cavalier, so I may be wrong...)

Shadow Lodge

It's one of those corner cases, as usual. Can't multiclass an alternate class with its parent class. A plain cavalier could be fun though.


Muser wrote:
It's one of those corner cases, as usual. Can't multiclass an alternate class with its parent class. A plain cavalier could be fun though.

Look at Luring Cavalier. They get a challenge they can use at range - In fact, it's the only safe way for them to do so.


Muser wrote:
It's one of those corner cases, as usual. Can't multiclass an alternate class with its parent class. A plain cavalier could be fun though.

You can/.They took that prohibition out after the playtest.

Dark Archive

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Muser wrote:
It's one of those corner cases, as usual. Can't multiclass an alternate class with its parent class. A plain cavalier could be fun though.
You can/.They took that prohibition out after the playtest.

They took that out for Advanced Class Guide classes, not for Samurai or Ninja, which are considered functionally archetypes of Cavalier and Rogue, respectively.


D oh. Thank you. Need more coffeee

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
DrParty06 wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Muser wrote:
It's one of those corner cases, as usual. Can't multiclass an alternate class with its parent class. A plain cavalier could be fun though.
You can/.They took that prohibition out after the playtest.
They took that out for Advanced Class Guide classes, not for Samurai or Ninja, which are considered functionally archetypes of Cavalier and Rogue, respectively.

Also, these are different things. ACG classes are Hybrid classes, while Samurai/Ninja are Alternate classes. As you stated, Hybrid classes can be multi-classed with their parent classes, but not Alternate classes.

Scarab Sages

I've got an Order of the Flame samurai built around Foolhardy Rush. That tends to make initiative interesting.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Obscure or Complicated Character Mechanics All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.