So looks like i am in trouble please give me advice so i do not die from this horrible situation


Advice

1 to 50 of 116 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

so in a recent game of pathfinder a new PC (player character) joined the game well several actually, however the issue is with this specific one. you see this guy was implemented into the game as part of the story and well he is a samurai...

a samurai that gets offended by well just about everything and then challenge people to duels to the death. and he really, i mean REALLY hates Mages, magic etc annything magical. stating that it is "dishonorable" this wouldn't be an issue with literally everybody else in the game however i happen to be the only magic user in the group a magus in fact witch in his eyes is probably even worse. thankfully through i have been able to avoid a bad situation through the power of the meta and the fact that i am to afraid to use magic in front of him.

but you see if he was the SAME level as me i might be able to get away with using magic however i am level 3 along with most of the group. and for some ungodly reason the gm allowed him to begin at level 5 with the ability to literally 1 hit ko everybody in the group. (and this guy has no issue with killing any of us either.)

so in other words if i use magic he will challenge me to a duel and kill me unless the stars align and i somehow manage to crit him on the first turn. and move first. also to give you an idea ho how stingy the samurai is i bowed in respect and he took offence and tried to kill me there literally 3s after i met him only staying alive thanks to the grace of the gm however that grace will likely not last.

but if i don't use magic then i will only be able to deal a small amount of damage literally a good 2/4 of my damage will be cut off of me. my character will literally be nerfed to all hell and it would be ridiculously easy for the npc chars to kill me.

regardless of what i do, the game could end up being ruined for me and i worked really hard creating a cool backstory for my character only to have this guy come in totally able to literally kill me for BOWING i mean come on.

also the entire party is to afraid of this guy to help me so that is off the table even though if the 5 other party members + me were to ally we could possibly kill him (possibly)

my character knows many spells like grease, and color spray, as well as ray of enfeeblement, mirror immage, and shield, and finally vanish.

i also have several damage spells like shocking grasp, frigid touch, and true strike
can trips are fairly self explanatory

once a day i can deal a maximum of 41 noncrit damage which would leave this guy with about 5 health if i rolled the highest possible dice. with no crit
my stats are as follows

str 18
dex 15
con 14
int 16
wis 13
cha 10

ac 16

i have the feats toughness, extra arcane pool, and intensify spell.

traits are magical linage, reactionary, and reckless.

i have the arcane accuracy trait

for equipment i have chain mail, a bastard sword and a longbow

ive been toying with the idea of using vanish or taking fly when i level up to escape if he does try to kill me but that would end up separating the party and as my gm always says
"you don't separate the party"

so if anyone knows some tricks that i could pull or something that i could try in order to survive this campaign and have a good time please tell me... please XD.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Put up a sporting fight then walk out whatever the outcome, level 5 Samurai guy is toxic, you can do better.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You're playing with a jerk, plain and simple. You need to talk to them out of game about this, because them limiting you from using magic is just garbage. That isn't their decision to make. Like with a Magus, you're not looking at a great time for a 1v1 duel with them, best advice I can give is to grease their weapon and hope for the best, but really this isn't an IC thing you can fix if you're playing with a team killer.

Worst case scenario, let them kill you and roll an Alchemist, they don't use magic, and an alchemist built correctly can SHRED any stupid samurai.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Talk to this guy out of character. If the other player is threatening to kill your character and ruining your fun he's just being a jerk. Don't try and fight his character, I recommend you talk to him and everyone else as a group about why this is making the game less fun for you.

Keep playing your character how you want. If he challenges your character just refuse and if he causes an issue about it then talk to everyone about why that isn't fun for you.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Sounds like a dysfunctional situation. Talk to the other players and the GM. If that doesn't resolve the problem out of game, gang up on him in-game, butch him, and disinvite him from the game.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Speak to the players and the DM prior to your next game. If the issue cannot be resolved to your satisfaction via discussion and compromise, find another group.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Leave. This guy being a jerk isn't the real problem. The GM allowing this situation is.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Hmm. I'd probably try to enjoy the chance to roleplay an unusual situation. "Heck yes, it's dishonorable. I'm a dishonorable guy. In a fair fight, you would kill me, and we both know it. So why should I follow your honor? Are you going to bring me back from the dead if I die fighting for your honor? I don't see you bringing up 'honor' when your wounds need healing. Just because you're stronger and can afford 'honor' in a fight doesn't mean that somebody like me is going to get themselves killed over that honor."

Grand Lodge

QuidEst wrote:
Hmm. I'd probably try to enjoy the chance to roleplay an unusual situation. "Heck yes, it's dishonorable. I'm a dishonorable guy. In a fair fight, you would kill me, and we both know it. So why should I follow your honor? Are you going to bring me back from the dead if I die fighting for your honor? I don't see you bringing up 'honor' when your wounds need healing. Just because you're stronger and can afford 'honor' in a fight doesn't mean that somebody like me is going to get themselves killed over that honor."

that might just work if he doesnt kill me while i am talkin but yeah if all else fails il have to deffinitely try that good idea

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It is the responsibility of every player to create a character that does not ruin the fun for other players. Clearly, his character violates that basic tenant of courtesy. Why a DM would allow somebody to play an asshat like that is beyond me. I would be very clear up front that you have no desire to deal with his BS attempts to dominate the flavor of the game.


Owen Hutchinson wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Hmm. I'd probably try to enjoy the chance to roleplay an unusual situation. "Heck yes, it's dishonorable. I'm a dishonorable guy. In a fair fight, you would kill me, and we both know it. So why should I follow your honor? Are you going to bring me back from the dead if I die fighting for your honor? I don't see you bringing up 'honor' when your wounds need healing. Just because you're stronger and can afford 'honor' in a fight doesn't mean that somebody like me is going to get themselves killed over that honor."
that might just work if he doesnt kill me while i am talkin but yeah if all else fails il have to deffinitely try that good idea

Well, my view is that it's worth leaving over anyway- might as well try this. If he kills an unarmed man, then call the player out on the "honor" point.

Grand Lodge

also i should point out that the gm is actually a good guy and Incorporated my characters backstory seamlessly into the campaign (a story about how my characters best friend diapered and i went searching for her). hes also a good friend to me and never actually knew that the samurai guy was going to be a samurai he was supposed to be a necromancer. in fact the gm was caught completely off guard so its not his fault.

we cant kick samurai guy out either because he has been in the group for awhile and also because were Canadian. why he made such a toxic character i have no clue. i will say he usually does make some fairly toxic characters i just haven't seen any like this one. e.g. like the thief who was neutral good and stole from a paladin because it was "instinctive" anyways i am getting off topic.

and i cant leave because well there are no other roll play groups in the area that i know of so i am kind of stuck with these guys. not to mention im good friends with lots of them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just drop your weapon. Then go full defensive.

If he attacks you while you're not resisting the rest of the group will meat grind him.

Then you tell him you're keeping his gear.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Have you spoken with the GM about this? This is always step one. ALWAYS.

If another player is detracting from your fun at the table, you shouldn't feel obligated to sit in silence or even sit at the table. It is the GM's responsibility in a home game to keep a table in relative order, which seems to have already been disrupted by the level imbalance. Failing a correction here, the GM should address your concerns about PvP.

If the GM is not willing to take action to correct this, you should leave the table.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I should add as a Canadian we had no problem asking the ass hat playing the "samurai" in our game to leave.

Because lordy. Yikes. He was not a samurai.


This is the type of situation that has to be resolved out of character. If you're not having any fun, you let the other guy know. If he doesn't relent, then one of you are gonna have to go. Your group usually decides which.


Kick the samurai out. By your own words this is not his first toxic PC and its on the GM and the other players to curb his behavior. If he won't change then he needs to go.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, that's a common situation. It sucks, but he's probably going to gank your character. I mean if you want, I'd say go full 'dishonor', wait until he challenges you to the duel, make sure you set up places where you have plenty of cover, pick up vanish and go guerrilla tactics.

You're 3rd level, invest in some tanglefoot bags (entangles even on a successful save so he's slowed down, glues to the spot if he fails, and with a DC 15 reflex save, it's a decent chance.) Hell, step it up to tangleburn bags if you're feeling extra mean.

Never give him charging lanes, always grease his weapon when you can, wait until you get him stuck and start pelting him with arrows/spells, hell tangelshot arrows (while only a DC 12) are another fine solution, snag some raining arrows, drain the holy water, put acid in them, easy damage from long range.

If he's going to call you dishonorable, OWN IT! You're at the level where alchemical items are still viable, which includes thing like ghast retch flask to auto sick on touch with a DC 12 for nauseated which would destroy him, fungal stun vial for a DC 20 will save (he's not making that) for either stun or confusion for a round or two (again something to help keep him off your back and stun means he drops his weapon.) As long as you can make it to a place where you're out of his melee range (up a tree), you can keep tossing out alchemical items without a care in the world, make him try and bring the pain to you.

Hell, if you want to go super dishonorable, use vanish to sneak into his room at night and use alchemical glue to glue his sword to the sheathe, then use magic in front of him to screw with him.

I mean he's going to be a jerk, so why don't you be one too?


I still think just not fighting and showing that this super honour guy will attack an unarmed man would be enough to have your group mulch him. Full defense and live long enough to have them do it for you.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Actually I'd just use vanish to sneak into his room at night, kill him in his sleep with a scythe/hooked lance. With power attack on, that Fort save should be something he cannot make. Even without power attack, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the CDG. 2d4+24...yowch.

Grand Lodge

N. Jolly wrote:

Yeah, that's a common situation. It sucks, but he's probably going to gank your character. I mean if you want, I'd say go full 'dishonor', wait until he challenges you to the duel, make sure you set up places where you have plenty of cover, pick up vanish and go guerrilla tactics.

You're 3rd level, invest in some tanglefoot bags (entangles even on a successful save so he's slowed down, glues to the spot if he fails, and with a DC 15 reflex save, it's a decent chance.) Hell, step it up to tangleburn bags if you're feeling extra mean.

Never give him charging lanes, always grease his weapon when you can, wait until you get him stuck and start pelting him with arrows/spells, hell tangelshot arrows (while only a DC 12) are another fine solution, snag some raining arrows, drain the holy water, put acid in them, easy damage from long range.

If he's going to call you dishonorable, OWN IT! You're at the level where alchemical items are still viable, which includes thing like ghast retch flask to auto sick on touch with a DC 12 for nauseated which would destroy him, fungal stun vial for a DC 20 will save (he's not making that) for either stun or confusion for a round or two (again something to help keep him off your back and stun means he drops his weapon.) As long as you can make it to a place where you're out of his melee range (up a tree), you can keep tossing out alchemical items without a care in the world, make him try and bring the pain to you.

Hell, if you want to go super dishonorable, use vanish to sneak into his room at night and use alchemical glue to glue his sword to the sheathe, then use magic in front of him to screw with him.

I mean he's going to be a jerk, so why don't you be one too?

lol reading this made me laugh i am definitely going to try some of the ideas you listed here.


Just a Mort wrote:
Actually I'd just use vanish to sneak into his room at night, kill him in his sleep with a scythe/hooked lance. With power attack on, that Fort save should be something he cannot make. Even without power attack, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the CDG. 2d4+24...yowch.

I'm afraid of player conflict so I better kill him in his sleep so there's no conflict!

GOOD ANSWER.

The Exchange

The odds are already stacked against the OP. The Samurai might get the hint and roll a more reasonable character. I doubt an unreasoning hate of magic, even from allies is particularly reasonable, so I also doubt that the samurai even has any "honor" to speak off, and would not hesitate to slaughter an unarmed combatant.

Hell, there's no difference for a monk being unarmed or not, and little for a wizard, so what's stopping the samurai from killing someone who has dropped his weapons.

N Jolly: I bow to your superior alchemical goodies abuse talent ;)

Silver Crusade

Owen Hutchinson wrote:
lol reading this made me laugh i am definitely going to try some of the ideas you listed here.

Honestly this guy just wants a scrap, that's what he needs here. And he thinks since he's more powerful than you (you need to hit 4th level before it's a proper scrap), he can push you around. So what you need to do is change the rules of the game. He knows he can beat you 1v1, a magus is barely a magus at that level in my opinion, so don't play like a magus, that's what he expects. Play like a bastard. Nothing there's a fort save, his best save, everything you're using targets his weak points, and that's where you need to be aiming.

He probably just wants some fun in a fight he think he can win, so show him he can't. He might try to retaliate, but you always have "Hey Samurai, remember when I didn't use a single class feature to beat you?" waiting to mock him with.

I still stand by my first idea of talking things out, but if that won't work, don't show mercy. Nets are cheap, set up the battlefield with hidden bear traps (12 gp, do 2d6+3 damage, and if nailed down can restrict movement), he'll probably have no problem with you deciding where the duel takes place, he's overconfident, use that to just Shikamaru the crap out of him. He'll think twice before messing with you again.


Step 1) Do magic in front of him

Step 2) He challenges you to a duel

Step 3) Set the terms of the duel to a swordfight at dawn

Step 4) Kill him in his sleep. If you dont think you can kill him with a single Coup de Grace, remember that sleeping characters are considered willing for any spells so use your best save or die/save or suck.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Owen Hutchinson wrote:
also i should point out that the gm is actually a good guy and Incorporated my characters backstory seamlessly into the campaign (a story about how my characters best friend diapered and i went searching for her). hes also a good friend to me and never actually knew that the samurai guy was going to be a samurai he was supposed to be a necromancer. in fact the gm was caught completely off guard so its not his fault.

Yes, it is his fault. The GM is the absolute authority regarding what is allowed in the game. He could have said "you told me you were making a necromancer so your samurai isn't allowed." He could have said "all the characters in this game are 3rd level so you need to downgrade your character to 3rd level." He could have said "there will be no player vs. player nonsense in this game." He didn't. He is the problem.

Owen Hutchinson wrote:
we cant kick samurai guy out either because he has been in the group for awhile and also because were Canadian.

"We can't" and "we choose not to" aren't the same thing.

Owen Hutchinson wrote:

why he made such a toxic character i have no clue. i will say he usually does make some fairly toxic characters i just haven't seen any like this one. e.g. like the thief who was neutral good and stole from a paladin because it was "instinctive" anyways i am getting off topic.

and i cant leave because well there are no other roll play groups in the area that i know of so i am kind of stuck with these guys. not to mention im good friends with lots of them.

If you want to stay then I see two options.

(1) Keep playing politely and just accept that this guy is going to steal your stuff or kill your characters off any time he feels like it.

(2) Out-toxic this jerk. Your GM has established that if you show up with a character then he will let you play it even if it isn't the one that you agreed to and isn't even balanced with the other characters. So let the samurai kill your wizard, tell everyone that you are going to make a 3rd level barbarian to replace it, but show up with a 10th level wizard who has taken an oath to kill any samurai who has ever killed a wizard.


Also, this sounds a whole lot like a certain Counter Monkey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zTrMf4eH4


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you lose, you can always roll up a Paladin and out-honor him.

Grand Lodge

Do you know what his order is?

Maybe you can use his edicts to protect you. For example, if he is Order of the Warrior, make friends with his liege and get his liege to extend his protection to you. Now the samurai cannot "honorably" challenge you.

Grand Lodge

N. Jolly wrote:
Owen Hutchinson wrote:
lol reading this made me laugh i am definitely going to try some of the ideas you listed here.

Honestly this guy just wants a scrap, that's what he needs here. And he thinks since he's more powerful than you (you need to hit 4th level before it's a proper scrap), he can push you around. So what you need to do is change the rules of the game. He knows he can beat you 1v1, a magus is barely a magus at that level in my opinion, so don't play like a magus, that's what he expects. Play like a bastard. Nothing there's a fort save, his best save, everything you're using targets his weak points, and that's where you need to be aiming.

He probably just wants some fun in a fight he think he can win, so show him he can't. He might try to retaliate, but you always have "Hey Samurai, remember when I didn't use a single class feature to beat you?" waiting to mock him with.

I still stand by my first idea of talking things out, but if that won't work, don't show mercy. Nets are cheap, set up the battlefield with hidden bear traps (12 gp, do 2d6+3 damage, and if nailed down can restrict movement), he'll probably have no problem with you deciding where the duel takes place, he's overconfident, use that to just Shikamaru the crap out of him. He'll think twice before messing with you again.

Shikimaru eh lol my character is far more intelligent than his is that just might work well from a roll playing point of view


Cavall wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Actually I'd just use vanish to sneak into his room at night, kill him in his sleep with a scythe/hooked lance. With power attack on, that Fort save should be something he cannot make. Even without power attack, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the CDG. 2d4+24...yowch.

I'm afraid of player conflict so I better kill him in his sleep so there's no conflict!

GOOD ANSWER.

It is a good answer. The guy continuously makes characters who just want to antagonize the party. In return, they should make a party whos tired of being antagonized and will take appropriate counters. Wouldnt kill the rogue, but might beat him up for being a thief. Would certainly kill a Samurai who terrorizes innocents and is willing to kill without good reason. If he was an NPC a villager would probably be hiring you to do it.

Make it clear to this guy that if his characters are going to be asses, your groups going to treat him the way they treat all scum: with a swift sword to the gut.

Grand Lodge

FLite wrote:

Do you know what his order is?

Maybe you can use his edicts to protect you. For example, if he is Order of the Warrior, make friends with his liege and get his liege to extend his protection to you. Now the samurai cannot "honorably" challenge you.

i wish i could do stuff like that but his liege is "in another castle" or in this case a continent away

Silver Crusade

For everyone saying just kill the guy in his sleep, that won't settle things, at least it wouldn't for me. It'd be too anticlimactic. This guy wants to show off, pure and simple. There's no reason he'd make a samurai who had such a specific tenant without wanting to smash a party member.

Again, talk things out if you can, but if you can't, shatter his pride. Hell, style on him harder, make sure you prepare Vanish the day before, then before the duel hand him your spellbook, tell him it's so you can't recover spells, give HIM a handicap against you. You only need Vanish for this anyways (grease helps, but meh), and maybe you can get a handicap out of him. His attack is good enough so where he's probably going to hit you regardless of your armor, so take that off too, nothing but a bow and some arrows on your back.

To be fair, I just love styling on people, so the idea of a duel made entirely of shaming an opponent amuses me deeply. Maybe set up traps you can set off with your arrows so you're not even aiming at him, a rope above him that contains a few alchemist fires to drop onto his head, do some splash damage before disappearing. A duel favors a samurai, you need to turn that on its head.

All of these things have the potential to go wrong if he makes certain saves, but really, even if he does, he has to live with that he killed an armorless mage without spells, can't wait to tell that one around the campfire. And the rest of your party knows it, so make sure your new character ask about it so they all talk about it in front of him.

Grand Lodge

Owen Hutchinson wrote:
FLite wrote:

Do you know what his order is?

Maybe you can use his edicts to protect you. For example, if he is Order of the Warrior, make friends with his liege and get his liege to extend his protection to you. Now the samurai cannot "honorably" challenge you.

i wish i could do stuff like that but his liege is "in another castle" or in this case a continent away

So what is he doing here? If he is on a mission from his liege, (which is pretty much the only reason a path of the warrior should be away from his duty guarding his land and his liege) just point out that without you, the mission could fail, and he would be forsworn. But, if he doesn't *want* your help, you have other things to do and would be happy to walk off and let him fail... :)

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Sounds like a bully. Don't give him any attention.

Grand Lodge

FLite wrote:
Owen Hutchinson wrote:
FLite wrote:

Do you know what his order is?

Maybe you can use his edicts to protect you. For example, if he is Order of the Warrior, make friends with his liege and get his liege to extend his protection to you. Now the samurai cannot "honorably" challenge you.

i wish i could do stuff like that but his liege is "in another castle" or in this case a continent away

So what is he doing here? If he is on a mission from his liege, (which is pretty much the only reason a path of the warrior should be away from his duty guarding his land and his liege) just point out that without you, the mission could fail, and he would be forsworn. But, if he doesn't *want* your help, you have other things to do and would be happy to walk off and let him fail... :)

he is on a mission for his liege but a house rule we have is that we don't break up the party. i did that once when i first started playing because i never knew about the house rule and well to this day people still razz me about it.

also his mission is to be an envoy to a sleazy npc lord who about half the party my character included has a big grudge against. the last time we tried to enter this guys castle we were pursued by about 50 guards and just barely got away. my character dislikes this guy because he kidnapped my characters best friend and is holding her until her father gives him a major mitheral mine as ransom. as a result my character went to save her. so in other words our goals clash our personalities clash and our classes clash come to think of it this game is a recipe for disaster. between the two of us maby he made his character that way intentionally to mess with me knowing that i almost always play the magus because it is my favorite class, honestly i don't know.

Liberty's Edge

You appear to be putting yourself into a situation where you are being bullied and abused. The choice to leave the group is always open- even if no other group appears to be immediately available. The options of playing via computer group or at a convention are additional possibilities. Or, either you or your DM might want to start a second group which would not be open to the bully.


Beyond what people have said:

Let him get himself killed.

When a decently difficult battle happens, have everyone but him (sounds like a front-liner) hang back. Grease the ground beneath his feet, making sure to let the monsters be outside the area of effect. Add a save or suck, or a few arrows, to taste. When he gets outraged, and screams about dishonor, calmly tell him that "Yes, you told me I was dishonorable. I know no greater authority on that word than you, so I decided it must be true."

If he still manages to kill you off, tell the GM to allow you to make a level 14 barbarian, since having a character out of the level range of the others seems to be okay.


I might be a little controversial for saying this, but I think you need to engineer this character's death for the good of the table. Why the GM has allowed this is beyond me if you think he is actually a good guy.

I would recommend reaching out to the other players (and not the GM) to float this idea and see what their take on his is. Chances are I bet they might feel the same thing. At the very least, try to get them to commit on pressuring the GM to boot this guy (if the GM has all the rest of the party saying they want this guy gone, or his character removed at the least, he's gunna have to take SOME action).


I agree talk to the other players and gmm first... If that don't work set him up to die, talk to the other members of the group and next big fight let him charge while the rest hang back, of he wins he will be a lot weaker, then you can challenge him with an advantage, allow him to beat his self, imagine his face when he has about 10 hps left and you look at him and say..."now about that duel?"

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cavall wrote:

I should add as a Canadian we had no problem asking the ass hat playing the "samurai" in our game to leave.

Because lordy. Yikes. He was not a samurai.

Actually he is... unlike what people seem to believe, samurai generally had the license to be total asshats to people below their station, provided he did not offend someone important while doing so.


You were not in my game, and therefore did not watch a samurai randomly destroy magic items because they wouldn't benefit him so why share, and directly disobey the orders of his commander, which his order forbade. He also was to protect someone and failed to do that based solely on his own amusement.

So no. He was not a samurai. The character wasnt the asshat. The player was. Thank you for your insight into my game. I hope I have given some back.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Tell the GM to stop giving his best friend a reach around first off, everyone should be starting at the same level.

Second, if he says "I challenge you to a duel"...simply decline.

If he attacks you anyway, say "No you don't" and get on with the game. There is literally nothing he can do to your character that you do not allow him to do. Ignore him.

If the GM says "He kills you" tell him he's a t~!$ (because he is) and find a better group. Take the other players with you, if they're willing to go, and you can leave the GM and his bestie to jerking each other off like they clearly want to be doing.


Petty Alchemy wrote:
Sounds like a bully. Don't give him any attention.

This a potentially viable solution. When he starts going all "I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!" just say "No you don't", and go back to whatever you were doing.

This is a game, not reality - he can't harm you unless you acknowledge it.

(And I see Rynjin done ninjaed me. How appropriate.)


I love playing samurai and cavalier, and I'll have to admit that it's because the challenge makes you feel like the star of the fight when you challenge and beat down the toughest enemy. But if he can't hit you, then he can't win. Make a pit, and let the guy fume as you pelt him with spells. Wizard/Arcanist wins any duel on "even" terms.


I agree that this guy is clearly toxic. The smart answer is to obviously solve this out of character, but in character is certainly funner. Don't forget your "good guy" DM allowed this guy to be 2 levels higher than the rest of the party. That's not a good guy DM. If anything, he was planning from the beginning to have this guy become a BBEG or antagonist of some kind.

Also lets be frank, a Magus without his magic may as well be a rogue: dead weight. Your character is gimped if this guy is in the party. I say go full dishonor and just kill him in the most anti-climactic way possible. Don't give him an inch of his "glory". Let him die a sad boring death. Wait until he's weak after a fight, and finish him off. Your characters fear him in game, you may get an alignment shift, but it's for the greater good of the parties goals to sever the toxic limb.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

How's your Bluff? You could always implicate him for certain crimes about town and have him hauled off by the city guard.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Serisan wrote:
How's your Bluff? You could always implicate him for certain crimes about town and have him hauled off by the city guard.

Honestly he might not even need bluff.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

Prestidigitation a wet spot to appear on his pants whenever he's in front of people shooting his mouth off


Even if you use good tactics, the GM will almost certainly f*&$ you over anyways. They're clearly biased in Samurai Guy's favor.

"Yeah, tanglefoot bag rules are way OP. I think you can probably cut yourself free as a Swift action."

"Okay, I think him getting into position to coup de grace you...that sounds like it would be pretty noisy. I'll give you a Perception check at +10 to hear that."

"Guys, I agree with Samurai Guy, it's not cool that you're all ganging up on him. Let these two handle it themselves." / "As you all prepare to gang up on Samurai Guy, the town guard rushes in with arrest warrants for everyone but Magus and Samurai Guy!"

"The city guard would never believe such heinous crimes of a samurai. -20 to Bluff them."

"Samurai, you're losing to the monsters thanks to your traitorous teammates...but wait! There, on the horizon, a rider clad in white! Gandalf! And he's got the whole of the Rohirrim with him! And there are unicorns and flying elephants all charging down the hill towards you all!"

These are all things I could see the GM saying. They're the sort of things we hear on the Advice boards all the time.

The only way this could be acceptable would be if the GM was actually setting this PC up as the bad guy. Over time, you begin to realize that you're all prisoners of the party, held hostage by the psychopathic samurai leader. And then a voice crackles out from the speakers: I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY A GAME.

EDIT/FORGOT TO HAVE A POINT: But that is not the case. It may be that the GM is a 'good guy' and just being very lazy. But you can't let Samurai Guy keep bullying the table. Suggest (politely) that he give you the sheet so you can downlevel the character down to normal levels. That way, he can't claim he doesn't want to have to do the work—he has to admit that this is all about control for him.

1 to 50 of 116 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / So looks like i am in trouble please give me advice so i do not die from this horrible situation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.