Air Your Grievances


Gamer Life General Discussion

1,701 to 1,750 of 2,014 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Dragoncat wrote:

If I ever get the chance to run another Drow character, it'd be more as a deconstruction of drow culture in general--from their dress habits, to their faith in Lolth and their spider fetish. And she'd be a common-born gutter rat.

Also, an actual grievance: in every story about drow, the drow protagonists are always from noble houses. There's never any common-born drow characters that serve as viewpoint characters. Apparently, they're not nearly as interesting. :(

Actually, given that the whole culture is based on enslaving other races, I suspect that among drow, tbe truly base born are a minority, as opposed to minor members of noble houses.


The more base Drow would be slave drivers and slave hunters. The main PC concept would be Drow who rebelled against that culture and ran themselves. Right?


dunno, my D&D5 character is a Drow warlock who was enslaved for forsaking the worship of lolth (Pact and everything), and then started worshipping Elilstraee and ran in search of his own soul.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Drow are really just victims of their environment. What is there for them to eat, really? Well, ALL the places that adress this issue say the same: Fungus, rothe (that graze what, exactly???) and spiced wine (grapes grow underground now...?).

Now tell me you wouldn't be grumpy too if all you got to eat was glowy mushrooms, meat and everything you ever drank was gluhwein.


I don't know, sounds like a merry Christmas feast to me.


Sissyl wrote:
Now tell me you wouldn't be grumpy too if all you got to eat was glowy mushrooms, meat and everything you ever drank was gluhwein.

So all that demon worship and spider-themed brutality could have been avoided by just giving them a croque monsieur? That sounds about right... it certainly does the trick for me.

Scarab Sages

My grievance today: yesterday we had a session in which the party fought double our number of babau. It was set up with a cliffhanger at the conclusion of the previous session, two weeks ago. I spent the intervening weeks looking forward to it with much excitement.

But my wizard was taken out in the second round, and didn't regain consciousness until two rounds prior to the end of the session. She would have died if we hadn't been granted temporary regeneration by a magic item, which is good. But I would have liked to participate in the game more.

I can't fault the GM for not giving me something to do; he was already dealing with a dozen babau and the shaman's spirit animal. One of the other players lost his PC to unconsciousness in the first combat round. But he at least was able to take over running a character for an absent player. All I could do was remind the GM that my familiar was still active; the GM insisted on running her himself because the magic item had granted her some special super-secret bonuses.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm reaching burnout. This past weekend I ran a Mythic game with levels ranging from 14-16th with an average Mythic Tier of 6. I worked really hard to come up with a host of Mythic opponents and the final boss was the Divine Herald known as the Prince in Chains. I added the Broken Soul template to it and gave it 7 Mythic Tiers. After waltzing through every encounter and defeating the Prince in 4 rounds I realized that I had totally forgotten to use so many of the monsters' abilities it was sad. I promised the group we'd go all the way to level 20 before starting the next campaign, but I'm running out of juice.

No one wants to run anything else except for one shots maybe once every 3 or 4 months, and I love getting to be a player. But I'm getting GM burnout really badly and it's showing. Plus having pretty severe depression the last several weeks hasn't helped any. My players say they're having fun but want "bigger challenges". The encounters ranged from CR 15 to 20 and nothing even slowed them down. They're not power gamers and I've not over equipped them (I'm pretty stingy with magic items and treasure) so the problem is me.

Ok, grievance over.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What do YOU want to GM.


I'm perfectly happy GMing Pathfinder. I just need a break from trying to come up with story lines and critters to eat their heads. I'm already working on the campaign that will follow this one when it ends, starting at 1st level and going forward as far as we can. It'll be more of the classic murder hobo game with a guerrilla warfare angle to it. I'm pretty excited about it, and it occupies my mind more than the current game does. I have some new houserules I want to try out with it, so I'm really jazzed up for it.

But as far as running something else I'd love to run a Star Wars d20 game (never had the money for the SAGA version and no one has many of the old d6 version books left anymore), but all they want me to run is PF. 3 or 4 times a year one of the guys runs a Call of Cthulhu d20/Vampire: The Masquerade mashup and when that campaign ends he plans to run DC Heroes (which I'm VERY excited about playing again) but even then it'll still just be 3 or 4 times a year. So I'll keep running PF, which I don't mind, but I just need a break.


Two of my players got married. Shortly thereafter, they gave me one full week of notice that they were moving out of the country.

The whole campaign has now been on hiatus for 3.5 months. I'm not sure I can get it started again, TBH. *sigh*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Deleted my previous post. I realized it wasn't appropriate for these forums. I'd rather not bring such harsh themes here. I'm sorry if anyone read it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Kileanna wrote:
Deleted my previous post. I realized it wasn't appropriate for these forums. I'd rather not bring such harsh themes here. I'm sorry if anyone read it.

I didn't see it, but nicely done. Self moderation is something we need a little more of here.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ok, I've griped about this before, but now I have an addendum to the grievance.

One of my players runs a Bard (Investigator Archetype). He does a great job at buffing the party but he relies on his Ring of Shooting Stars, his Wand of Magic Missiles, and his Wand of Cure Light Wounds and only casts really low level spells. I've been after him for weeks to look over the higher level Bard spells for things more useful in combat. He's 15th level, Mythic Tier 4. I finally emailed him links to the Bard spell list and the Mythic versions of said spells. His response this weekend when he showed up for the game was, "Holy cow! There are offensive Bard spells!!!" He's only played this character for 3 years and been playing D&D for nearly 30. I probably did the largest, slowest facepalm in the history of facepalms. But at least he finally realizes he can do so much more.

Grievance over.


Steve Geddes wrote:
Kileanna wrote:
Deleted my previous post. I realized it wasn't appropriate for these forums. I'd rather not bring such harsh themes here. I'm sorry if anyone read it.
I didn't see it, but nicely done. Self moderation is something we need a little more of here.

I was upset and tired and didn't think a lot before posting.

I have to clarify that I wasn't offending or insulting anyone (I think), just speaking about some serious stuff and definitely not in the right tone.
We all come here to have a good time, so my topic was definitely not appropriate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
Kileanna wrote:
Deleted my previous post. I realized it wasn't appropriate for these forums. I'd rather not bring such harsh themes here. I'm sorry if anyone read it.
I didn't see it, but nicely done. Self moderation is something we need a little more of here.

I was upset and tired and didn't think a lot before posting.

I have to clarify that I wasn't offending or insulting anyone (I think), just speaking about some serious stuff and definitely not in the right tone.
We all come here to have a good time, so my topic was definitely not appropriate.

Having a rough dew days eh? you a positive person from what I can tell I bet you'll be feeling better again in no time. *Looks for poster of the little cat hanging on to the branch with the text below saying hang in there*


I already feel better. Tired because I got to bed late yesterday but better.
Some things at my job were just way too much for me yesterday: some because of the laziness of my coworkers and some because working in an hospital is sometimes hard. You see situations that you cannot change and where you cannot provide any help at all. Yesterday we talked about having too much empathy. I just cannot disconnect my ability to worry for other people, even people that I don't know. And I don't want to do it. Sometimes stop worrying means to stop caring. So I'd rather deal with feeling too much empathy than with feeling nothing at all.


My grievance today is that the boards were inaccessible to me for the whole day yesterday, and now the catching up is gonna be a doozy.


Most people couldn't access either, so it wasn't a lot of activity.
Mostly Cap Yesterday's aliases xD


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I had access and let me tell you you didn't miss much.

Silver Crusade

My grievance is that my insomnia issues have been kicking in hard the last month or so. After only getting about 5 hours sleep last night (again!), I woke up feeling sick, not just tired. I'm not that surprised - the ongoing lack of sleep issues tend to eventually do that to me.

I called in sick to work, to try and catch up on sleep and recover, but I really can't afford the time off right now.


I have periodic bouts of insomnia. I'm no longer able to work, but I still end up feeling tired and sometimes ill, so I understand where you're coming from.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My wife comes to bed at 3 AM, falls quicky asleep, and snores like a locomotive. Refuses to have herself tested for sleep apnia. This morning at 3:30, I nearly cut lose with a pillow trying to get her to stop snoring.

I want sleep.


If it's more of a constant "sawing logs" kind of snore, it's probably not sleep apnea. Apnea snoring is more quiet moments interspersed with snoring explosions.

Does she work a late shift and that's why she's in bed at 3am? I know that personally, I snore more if I go to bed late. If it's not a question of shift work (in which case, I'd assume she's waking later and still getting around 6-8 hours sleep a night), I'd see what can be done to help her get to sleep earlier. That might help prevent snoring.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Realized that "Jim" whose work I admired, is a pathological liar and all his amazing work can be found online, by OTHER artists.

Looking through my portfolio, to remove any work with content that "Jim" made and I used and credited "Jim" for.


Alni wrote:

Realized that "Jim" whose work I admired, is a pathological liar and all his amazing work can be found online, by OTHER artists.

Looking through my portfolio, to remove any work with content that "Jim" made and I used and credited "Jim" for.

That sucks. I have had a lot of similar experiences. If you look at my huge collection of favourites on my Deviantart you'll realize that I really like art.

I have known a lot of very talented people who kept plagiarizing or copying other artwork and claiming it as theirs. It bothers me a lot.
I have even had my own art stolen and I think it doesn't make sense at all as it is not even good.
Even if I am not a good artist I put an effort on what I do, so stealing my art is disrespectful to the effort I put on it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know, it's fairly common to see arts students haunting museums to copy pictures there, plagiarism and copying are part of the learning process and mastering the techniques... of course, there's a whole world of difference between copuying the Mona Lisa to get a grasp of Sfumato, and claiming the copy to be your own original work...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
Alni wrote:

Realized that "Jim" whose work I admired, is a pathological liar and all his amazing work can be found online, by OTHER artists.

Looking through my portfolio, to remove any work with content that "Jim" made and I used and credited "Jim" for.

That sucks. I have had a lot of similar experiences. If you look at my huge collection of favourites on my Deviantart you'll realize that I really like art.

I have known a lot of very talented people who kept plagiarizing or copying other artwork and claiming it as theirs. It bothers me a lot.
I have even had my own art stolen and I think it doesn't make sense at all as it is not even good.
Even if I am not a good artist I put an effort on what I do, so stealing my art is disrespectful to the effort I put on it.

It's annoying. But I'm not the one to google search your work if you claim its yours. I did now and...

On another note. You like Dragon Age and Dragonlance! Niiice!

Klorox wrote:
You know, it's fairly common to see arts students haunting museums to copy pictures there, plagiarism and copying are part of the learning process and mastering the techniques... of course, there's a whole world of difference between copuying the Mona Lisa to get a grasp of Sfumato, and claiming the copy to be your own original work...

That's true. I have copied a lot of works for practice, but I don't display them as my own. This guy is more along the lines of showing you the Mona Lisa and claiming it's a portrait of his auntie he did over the weekend... with lesser known artists.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As I am fully self taught I skipped the lesson on plagiarizing. Also the lesson of having some real skill, but that's a different matter.
If I have used some references I like to mention or link them in my pictures as I did with this one even if it's better described as fan art rather than copying.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alni wrote:
On another note. You like Dragon Age and Dragonlance! Niiice!

Of course. It has Dragon in the name? I'm probably liking it!

I actually play/GM most of my Pathfinder games in a highly houseruled and homebrewed Dragonlance setting.

Shadow Lodge

Wrong John Silver wrote:

If it's more of a constant "sawing logs" kind of snore, it's probably not sleep apnea. Apnea snoring is more quiet moments interspersed with snoring explosions.

Does she work a late shift and that's why she's in bed at 3am? I know that personally, I snore more if I go to bed late. If it's not a question of shift work (in which case, I'd assume she's waking later and still getting around 6-8 hours sleep a night), I'd see what can be done to help her get to sleep earlier. That might help prevent snoring.

It changes in tone and tempo every few minutes, and she wakes her self up when she can't breath. Pretty sure it's Apnia.

No she doesn't work night shift. She just likes to sit and read while watching all the late night talk shows; gets sucked into a book, then realizes its 3 AM. She works part time afternoons and evenings though, so she doesn't have to be up at 5 AM, like I do.

Silver Crusade

My petty grievance today is that people keep typing my username as "Lucky7" instead of "lucky7." I completely understand that they're trying to be respectful/use proper punctuation, and I appreciate that, but, to quote the Ting Tings, "That's not my name."


3 people marked this as a favorite.

What do you mean, Lucky Seven?

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
What do you mean, Lucky Seven?

That is both hilarious and rage...filling...y.


What if it's the first word of the sentence?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I thought it was Iucky 7.

Silver Crusade

Hoga the half orc wrote:
What if it's the first word of the sentence?

It still doesn't have a capital. It's bad punctuation, I know, but I'm standing by my decision, gosh darn it!


I support lucky7 and his independent stance on capitalization!


It's always the same....


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My grievance is i'm now super confused on how to say Lucky7? lucky7? lucky seven?'s name.


I'll stick to just luck as I am not able not to abbreviate people's names.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I support lucky7 and his independent stance on capitalization!

so do I, I'm generally contemptuous of capitalisation...


Kileanna wrote:
I'll stick to just luck as I am not able not to abbreviate people's names.

You can shorten me to Rox because I ROX


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I Rox, as in, I-Rox-Z? Cool.


The Usual Suspect wrote:
Wrong John Silver wrote:

If it's more of a constant "sawing logs" kind of snore, it's probably not sleep apnea. Apnea snoring is more quiet moments interspersed with snoring explosions.

Does she work a late shift and that's why she's in bed at 3am? I know that personally, I snore more if I go to bed late. If it's not a question of shift work (in which case, I'd assume she's waking later and still getting around 6-8 hours sleep a night), I'd see what can be done to help her get to sleep earlier. That might help prevent snoring.

It changes in tone and tempo every few minutes, and she wakes her self up when she can't breath. Pretty sure it's Apnia.

No she doesn't work night shift. She just likes to sit and read while watching all the late night talk shows; gets sucked into a book, then realizes its 3 AM. She works part time afternoons and evenings though, so she doesn't have to be up at 5 AM, like I do.

Yup, sounds like apnea. Although I do still recommend an earlier bedtime. As a fellow night owl, I know it sucks, but hey, health is health.

Shadow Lodge

Wrong John Silver wrote:
The Usual Suspect wrote:
Wrong John Silver wrote:
Yup, sounds like apnea. Although I do still recommend an earlier bedtime. As a fellow night owl, I know it sucks, but hey, health is health.

She spent years in the military working mid shifts. There's no way I'm going to change her habits now. Wouldn't even try. I just want her to get the apnea checked out for her sake; and a good night's sleep.


I have severe sleep apnea and have used a CPAP machine for years. Last night about 2:30 part of the mask broke and I couldn't wear it, so I tried to sleep without it. I woke every few minutes gasping for air like a drowning man. Finally this morning I found an old mask that will do until a new one arrives.

She really needs to have a sleep study done. My breathing was stopping over 70 times an hour.

Shadow Lodge

My brother-in-law uses one too. He swears by it.


I can't sleep without it now. Not even naps.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I can't sleep without it now. Not even naps.

Wow. Glad you have it.

1,701 to 1,750 of 2,014 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Air Your Grievances All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.