How many spells when Wizard Levels up?


Rules Questions


Hello :) I'm currently Playing a wizard and i ran into some kind of Problem on Level 3:

Movie plot spoiler:
Quote:

Starting Spells (See Spellbooks below): A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from his opposed schools, if any; see Arcane Schools) plus three 1st-level spells of his choice. The wizard also selects a number of additional 1st-level spells equal to his Intelligence modifier to add to the spellbook. At each new wizard level, he gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new wizard level) for his spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards' spellbooks to his own (see Magic).

Spells Gained at a New Level: Wizards perform a certain amount of spell research between adventures. Each time a character attains a new wizard level, he gains two spells of his choice to add to his spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels he can cast.

Which one of the 2 highlighted parts is correct? As far as i understood it the first one would mean i get 2 spells for every spell level i can cast, i.e. 2 1-Level and 2 2-Level spells.

Also:

Quote:
Each arcane school gives the wizard a number of school powers. In addition, specialist wizards receive an additional spell slot of each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up

Does that mean i can prepare an additional 1- & 2- Level Spell as long as it is in my School?

Thank you in advance!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

He gets two new spells, it can be 2 2nd level spells, a 2nd and a 1st, or two 1st.

Yes, a 3rd level necromancer gets two additional necromancy spells prepared, a 1st and a 2nd level.

Shadow Lodge

1st question, No, you get 2 new spells, those spells can be from any level you can cast. if it were the way you were suggesting it would read like this:

Not really the rule wrote:
At each new wizard level, he gains two new spells of every spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new wizard level) for his spellbook.

For your second question, you're exactly right, each spell level you get 1 free slot for spells of your specialty school.


Killua the Bard wrote:
As far as i understood it the first one would mean i get 2 spells for every spell level i can cast,

That's not what it says.

It doesn't say "every spell level". It actually says "any spell level". This is completely different.

You get two spells. Period. You can choose them for ANY spell level you can cast, but the number is still just two total spells.


Yes, you only get two free spells for leveling up.

But remember, you only need to buy a scroll (or borrow another wizards spell book) to then scribe the spell in your spell book so you can prepare it in the future.

Really, all the level up spells mean is that it saves you a little money. Buy a blessed book and save yourself even more.


Val'bryn2 wrote:

He gets two new spells, it can be 2 2nd level spells, a 2nd and a 1st, or two 1st.

Yes, a 3rd level necromancer gets two additional necromancy spells prepared, a 1st and a 2nd level.

So i could essential have

2 Glitter dust +1 Additional Summon monster 2

prepared..

But i can only cast 2 a day? (My intelligence is 20 :) )


As you level, you gain two new spells that you add to your spellbook.

They can be chosen from levels of spells you are able to cast, but must number no more than two in total.

Your spells per day are in no way related to this.

Consult the spells per day entry, modify by your INT score.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Killua the Bard wrote:

Hello :) I'm currently Playing a wizard and i ran into some kind of Problem on Level 3:

** spoiler omitted **

Which one of the 2 highlighted parts is correct? As far as i understood it the first one would mean i get 2 spells for every spell level i can cast, i.e. 2 1-Level and 2 2-Level spells.

Also:

Quote:
Each arcane school gives the wizard a number of school powers. In addition, specialist wizards receive an additional spell slot of each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up

Does that mean i can prepare an additional 1- & 2- Level Spell as long as it is in my School?

Thank you in advance!

They both say the same thing. You get two spells to add to your spelllbook at no cost. These MUST be spells that you can cast. If you just hit 9th level, they can be two 5th or lower level spells. The amount of spells you can prepare remains based on the spells per day casting table as modified by your intelligence bonus.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / How many spells when Wizard Levels up? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.