Android Psychic


Advice


So, I'm going to be playing a pirate game here short and finally got the Occult book and my GMs approval for an Android. So, I do what I'm sure he predicted I'd do. But now, I need a little help on the matter. Our point buy is 30 points 1:1 ratio, max 18 before racial. With that I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to be stronk. What I'm looking for is best/coolest spells to deck out my arsenal as well as maybe some options or feats that would also be pretty spiffy (Any VMC that would be functional would be cool too) From a min/max perspective I'm pretty solid but I'm looking for the cooler stuff that's also decently strong at least and I'm a pretty bad spellcaster all things considered.

Any suggestions?

My Party so far is
1 Gunslinger (Musket Master)
1 Oracle (Flames I think)
1 Rogue (Probably)
1 Swashbuckler (Probably)
1 Druid (Probably)


Well as an android psychic with stats like that, I'd recommend taking self-perfection and putting 18's in Dex and Wis. Starting with 19 touch AC at lvl 1, with up to 23 with mage armor is kind of awesome.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think a dev posted this somewhere on the forums, but I can't remember who or where. But from what I remember in the post, an android is unable to provide the emotion components for a psychic spell because he lacks emotion. You would have to take the relevant feat before you could do so.


That's correct.


Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.


Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.


Before taking this word as law can we at least get a link instead of "i think someone maybe said this"


Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.

Then they are capable of having emotions because they only have a bonus against mind-effecting spells. So if they are not immune they should be able to produce emotions enough, just not be very emotional.


Dwarf in the Flask wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.
Then they are capable of having emotions because they only have a bonus against mind-effecting spells. So if they are not immune they should be able to produce emotions enough, just not be very emotional.

Uhm... are sure that's what you meant to type because it sounds a little... off.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah it makes no sense for them to be unable to provide emotion components for being an android. I mean there are full-on AI's in Iron Gods that are specifically called out as getting angry. There's an android in it that is called out as being grateful to the PC's, which is obviously an emotion.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I still find the idea of an Android Psychic problematic. Then again, I was completely disgusted with TNG's copout of giving Data an "emotion chip".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.
Then they are capable of having emotions because they only have a bonus against mind-effecting spells. So if they are not immune they should be able to produce emotions enough, just not be very emotional.
Uhm... are sure that's what you meant to type because it sounds a little... off.

The fear spell is a mind effect, fear is an emotion. If androids are not immune to mind effects then they can have emotions. They are just not overly emotional (don't display or factor emotion into their life actions).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nevan Oaks wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.
Then they are capable of having emotions because they only have a bonus against mind-effecting spells. So if they are not immune they should be able to produce emotions enough, just not be very emotional.
Uhm... are sure that's what you meant to type because it sounds a little... off.
The fear spell is a mind effect, fear is an emotion. If androids are not immune to mind effects then they can have emotions. They are just not overly emotional (don't display or factor emotion into their life actions).

Which is the exact reason I find Android Psychics problematic. Psychic phenomena tend to be themed around things such as "second sight" "intuitive hunches" and other non-logic based ways of thinking. Which is about as opposite from Android as you can get.

I'm sure that's why you want to do this, but at some point, you break the trope so much it breaks plausibility as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Johnny_Devo wrote:
I think a dev posted this somewhere on the forums, but I can't remember who or where. But from what I remember in the post, an android is unable to provide the emotion components for a psychic spell because he lacks emotion. You would have to take the relevant feat before you could do so.

We know, we also find it dumb, so we ignored it.

So, knowing we ignore the android being unable to psychic it up, may we get back to, like, my question?

Scarab Sages

Mark Seifter wrote:


Androids can either take the ability to gain emotions or take the Logical Spell feat and pay for metamagic like the NPC in Shattered Star Book 5 who has still spell on all her spells. You can't provide an emotion component if you are emotionless.

If you want to house rule it out fine. But the rules are that you can't provide an emotion component without the empathy feat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:


Androids can either take the ability to gain emotions or take the Logical Spell feat and pay for metamagic like the NPC in Shattered Star Book 5 who has still spell on all her spells. You can't provide an emotion component if you are emotionless.
If you want to house rule it out fine. But the rules are that you can't provide an emotion component without the empathy feat.

Yes, that's fine, we are house ruling, I would like thie trainwreck to find the rails again thanks.

Dark Archive

For spells I would check out the various guides for insight into what spells tend to be strong. For VMC I would point you towards the battle oracle VMC taking skill at arms as your revelation at 3rd to get heavy armour and good weapons to use when you run out of psychic spells. For the Curse I would probably go with wolf-scarred face as it has no downsides for you, gives you magic fang/greater magic fang as spells known and gives you an always on melee attack so your hands can be used for shields or ranged weapons. I apologize for the thread derail(I was the one who brought the whole android with psychic spells issue up in the playtest)


Nevan Oaks wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:
Knitifine wrote:
Dwarf in the Flask wrote:

Thought that was flavor text given their mechanic of them not getting morale bonuses.

If its mechanics based it then Androids should be immune to mind-effects and other effects like that. But they only have a +4 Race bonus to it. So I would argue that they can.

Mind-affecting =/= emotions.
Then they are capable of having emotions because they only have a bonus against mind-effecting spells. So if they are not immune they should be able to produce emotions enough, just not be very emotional.
Uhm... are sure that's what you meant to type because it sounds a little... off.
The fear spell is a mind effect, fear is an emotion. If androids are not immune to mind effects then they can have emotions. They are just not overly emotional (don't display or factor emotion into their life actions).

Actually they could not normally have emotions, but be forced to by the spell.

Kind of like, you don't fly as a human, but you can be levitated or fly with a spell cast on you.

Your logic is flawed.

An undead lich could (and has been noted on several occasions through RPG history) be enraged by actions and act accordingly. They have emotions but are immune to mind effecting. It doesn't mean what you are trying to say it means. It isn't an all or nothing, nor is it inclusive/exclusive like you are trying to state.

Mechanically by the writer and apparently dev team admission, they don't have emotions. The bonus is due to this. However a spell can enforce emotional states on them something that is not possible on their own unless they take the trait/feat.


Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

The overpowering mind phrenic amp. makes all your will save spells better. Starting with color spray at level 1. Undercast surge makes a bunch of their class-specific spells better. Telekinesis is a spell they get early.

As always when answering questions like this, what level range are you looking at?


avr wrote:

Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

You only need to do that if you want your regained phrenic pool to also accomplish something useful. Otherwise just complete a minimum DC jump for fun, get a point back. It's essentially free/at will restoration of your pool, and the only discipline that does that.


Slithery D wrote:
avr wrote:

Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

You only need to do that if you want your regained phrenic pool to also accomplish something useful. Otherwise just complete a minimum DC jump for fun, get a point back. It's essentially free/at will restoration of your pool, and the only discipline that does that.

I half expect that to get "clarified" to not work.


avr wrote:

Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

The overpowering mind phrenic amp. makes all your will save spells better. Starting with color spray at level 1. Undercast surge makes a bunch of their class-specific spells better. Telekinesis is a spell they get early.

As always when answering questions like this, what level range are you looking at?

We're starting at first and have no clue when we'll be ending


Skylancer4 wrote:
Slithery D wrote:
avr wrote:

Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

You only need to do that if you want your regained phrenic pool to also accomplish something useful. Otherwise just complete a minimum DC jump for fun, get a point back. It's essentially free/at will restoration of your pool, and the only discipline that does that.
I half expect that to get "clarified" to not work.

Doesn't need one, as you can only use Physical Push a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier, not at will.


Pissing off the GM by long jumping 5' to regain a pool point seems like a bad idea in general. Also, personally I'd prefer to make some use of the bonus to the skill if I were you too; tumbling away from or past the enemy sounds good, given that casting defensively isn't going to work often.

Low level stuff then. If you're going to be casting color spray a lot - you should, it's your best attack spell out of spell levels 1-2 - then you're going to be attacked occasionally due to being too close for comfort. Getting improved unarmed strike followed by snake style may then be worthwhile for you, given that you'll have some wisdom and sense motive as a class skill.

If you don't like the idea of getting that close then you may want to expand your spell list instead. VMC witch gives you a patron; you don't care about the hexes or other secondary abilities as much as you do the patron spells.


Anzyr wrote:
Skylancer4 wrote:
Slithery D wrote:
avr wrote:

Self-perfection seems like the most appropriate psychic discipline, and it should work reasonably well for you. Make sure you're good at some physical skill (e.g. acrobatics) and make it come up fairly often.

You only need to do that if you want your regained phrenic pool to also accomplish something useful. Otherwise just complete a minimum DC jump for fun, get a point back. It's essentially free/at will restoration of your pool, and the only discipline that does that.
I half expect that to get "clarified" to not work.
Doesn't need one, as you can only use Physical Push a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier, not at will.

You can use it at will in the sense of "whenever you want, subject to the limit on times per day." Every other discipline either requires an outside occurrence beyond your control (Rapport) or the inconvenient expenditure of your own resources (Lore) at a time that might not be conducive to regaining phrenic pool. Self Perfection you can always do, and the resource you're expending isn't that important.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Android Psychic All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.