Praise thread!


RPG Superstar™ General Discussion

401 to 450 of 489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Hmmm, you are like my item from last season. You avoided my pitfalls and then improved upon the writing and the item's imagery. I can't help but hate you.

Here. Take this upvote.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka GM_Solspiral

JJ Jordan wrote:

Hmmm, you are like my item from last season. You avoided my pitfalls and then improved upon the writing and the item's imagery. I can't help but hate you.

Here. Take this upvote.

Yeah I got one of those hanging around this year too... Burns my arse but I still upvote it sometimes.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

GM_Solspiral wrote:
Yeah I got one of those hanging around this year too... Burns my arse but I still upvote it sometimes.

I got one pairing that had both items reminding me of your item from last season. One had a similarity in name and the other had a similar theme. They were both quite different mechanically if I remember right. The theme one was closer, but having a similar theme, that is somewhat expected.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka GM_Solspiral

Nickolas Floyd wrote:
GM_Solspiral wrote:
Yeah I got one of those hanging around this year too... Burns my arse but I still upvote it sometimes.
I got one pairing that had both items reminding me of your item from last season. One had a similarity in name and the other had a similar theme. They were both quite different mechanically if I remember right. The theme one was closer, but having a similar theme, that is somewhat expected.

The synergy with the ring's charge mechanic doing almost the same thing mine did... it's like they cribbed that line and modded it slightly. I'm not saying it's completely against the rules but it would make me upset if that ends up top 32 and mine doesn't.

I don't even object to the concept of item synergy another item does that in a delightful way. It's the same item same general theme re purposed to a different item.

To me playing off an item you saw last year and making it better after reading all the feedback on that item isn't in the spirit of the contest.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM_Solspiral wrote:

The synergy with the ring's charge mechanic doing almost the same thing mine did... it's like they cribbed that line and modded it slightly. I'm not saying it's completely against the rules but it would make me upset if that ends up top 32 and mine doesn't.

Yeah. I saw that one. Not sure it is the same one I mentioned in my post above, but it might have been. It probably was.

But this doesn't necessarily mean the designer ripped you off. He or she might have never seen your item and it could have just been a case of parallel design. I actually designed an item (a helmet) about three seasons ago that had a connection to that ring you also used in your last year's entry. I had put the helm aside already (partially because it was not legal last season, and partly because it was one of my least favorite of my designs), but totally scrapped it when I saw your somewhat parallel design last year. Mine wasn't a recharge, but it had a bigger effect as a set with the ring.

But, then they might have stolen your idea. Maybe you will be able to find out during the critiques. But hopefully you will be too busy to worry about it. :)

Dark Archive Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

GM_Solspiral wrote:
Nickolas Floyd wrote:
GM_Solspiral wrote:
Yeah I got one of those hanging around this year too... Burns my arse but I still upvote it sometimes.
I got one pairing that had both items reminding me of your item from last season. One had a similarity in name and the other had a similar theme. They were both quite different mechanically if I remember right. The theme one was closer, but having a similar theme, that is somewhat expected.

The synergy with the ring's charge mechanic doing almost the same thing mine did... it's like they cribbed that line and modded it slightly. I'm not saying it's completely against the rules but it would make me upset if that ends up top 32 and mine doesn't.

I don't even object to the concept of item synergy another item does that in a delightful way. It's the same item same general theme re purposed to a different item.

To me playing off an item you saw last year and making it better after reading all the feedback on that item isn't in the spirit of the contest.

I tend not to vote for items that build/synergize explicitly off of existing items since the concept is too reminiscent of the Regalias of the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium. They feel unoriginal.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

Dieben wrote:
I tend not to vote for items that build/synergize explicitly off of existing items since the concept is too reminiscent of the Regalias of the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium. They feel unoriginal.

Yeah, I would not recommend it. To be fair all items we are speaking vaguely of were not "explicitly" using another item. Just had a greater ability when paired with another item. As long as the item does not demand through sheer awesomeness that the other items is owned as well, it might work. You also run into the question as to why the core magic item is not somewhat better for owning the new item. How come they don't boost each other? This kind of connection is better off avoided. I agree.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

Cool item. Simple, but could have been simplified a lot and lost a bunch of words. But very nice.


In my case, I think it's parallel design and superior skill on the part of the contestant. Bravo to you. I don't think the idea itself is top 32 but at least this person gave it a chance. Last year I didn't make it past the 60% or so cull.

Dedicated Voter Season 9

Ooooh, I like how your mechanics tie to your theme. Nicely done.

Grand Lodge Marathon Voter Season 9

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just wanted to congratulate everyone who participated this year whether your item didn't make it through a single cull or is still alive and competing it takes a lot of guts to submit something for everyone to see. For those specifically remaining good luck and I can't wait to see your maps (and hopefully my own) in the next round.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Amanuensis

Alright, I have selected my personal Top 32.
Of these, 16 are solid keeps (2 armors, 4 weapons, 10 wondrous items). Well done! Hopefully, other voters agree with me.

Grand Lodge Marathon Voter Season 9

Oh item that won't ever be useful in my campaigns, I hadn't seen you in a week. You're still here and I still love you.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

Cool armor designer. I like. You get my vote against another item this is pretty good but kinda damages a sacred cow. Close vote, but that one pseudo-mistake gave you the edge.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I remember seeing you at the beginning. I still think you are not superstar, but your visual is enticing and your ability nice. Keep it is ;-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Just remember, people, your item isn't necessarily bad just because it was taken out in a cull. I'm having to revise my personal Top 32 list because items I thought were worthy to advance were culled. Public opinion can be fickle.

Utilize the Critique Your Item thread, and those who are willing to give you honest feedback. Learn from your mistakes, learn from the mistakes of others, and pay attention to what people think makes a winner. Come back stronger next year.

Star Voter Season 9

@Jeff Lee,

Agreed! There was an item that didn't make it past the first cull but I've already written it into our weekly campaign. It broke my heart when I saw that it didn't make it through.

I can't wait until we can speak openly and tell the designer how much I loved it. I'm sure it will be small consolation to them but they should now someone loved it.


You are a really cool weapon, even if I do hate your name.

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

I want to add praise for the cull system this year.
Wow!
My last ditch tie-breaker (after boring, after formatting, after cost, after breakability) is the dice.

At the beginning I let the dice decide a half dozen times, because I didn't think either would go very far. Then for a long time, it was an easy choice and no dice needed. Now I am getting back into the equally good/bad territory, but at the other end: two good items. I'm not using dice at this time, but it would be easier.

And I think it heightens the dramatic tension. :)

Well done cull schedule! (& the Paizo folks who run it of course :)

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Curaigh wrote:

I want to add praise for the cull system this year.

Wow!

I concur. Much better doing a series of small culls as opposed to one. Of course I got culled last season and I'm still in it this time. It has kept more people voting I think. I still haven't seen my own item, but the doc says I'm there.

Shadow Lodge Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Nickolas Floyd wrote:
Curaigh wrote:

I want to add praise for the cull system this year.

Wow!
I concur. Much better doing a series of small culls as opposed to one. Of course I got culled last season and I'm still in it this time. It has kept more people voting I think. I still haven't seen my own item, but the doc says I'm there.

I agree as well, even though I was never culled in previous years, but have been culled this year.

The quality has noticeably improved with each cull.

Sovereign Court Marathon Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
pH unbalanced wrote:
I agree as well, even though I was never culled in previous years, but have been culled this year.

:O

:(

(I'm curious which item was yours, though... PM please?)

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

New item. Very cool, but I could have done without the negative side effects. Kind of a plot item, or too much RP for a Pathfinder magic item. But I like.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka michaeljpatrick

Saw another new item. Not bad.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

WOW! That's one hell-of-a-cool low-cost item! Keep keep keep!

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Boots vs boots, and I like both pairs! However, the SAK boots on the left, although built around a consistent theme, will not prevail against the might of the focused and tightly designed boots on the right.


My favorite items are still in the hunt. You can do this, guys.

Star Voter Season 9

Finally! A cloak I like!

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

I have added a pair of gloves, a pair of gauntlets, & a shield to my keep list. Your persistence has given me the time to appreciate what this could be with minor tweaks. Diamonds in the rough, all three :)

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16 , Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka burrahobbit

10 people marked this as a favorite.

As voting comes to a close, just wanted to praise everyone who participated. I've seen amazingly high-quality, well-designed items, some that perfectly fill a niche, some managing to evoke that elusive sense of wonder, and some conjuring up characters, images, and stories worthy of the best of fantasy gaming and literature in <300 words.

Contra some of the snark, I was especially happy to see items that appear to have been from first-time or less experienced designers/players. Even when there were errors of balance or formatting, there were some worthwhile ideas shining through. Items that were called out for having been done before or cribbing from other IPs may not make it to the Top 32, but they can be a great way of feeling out the contours of design, figuring out where the possibilities are in the system, and learning how to bring together form and function. So, if this was the first time you've submitted an item, good on you!

Even the dopiest joke items show that people are having fun playing, which is, after all, what games are for.

It's a leap of courage to submit creative work to public scrutiny, so congrats to everyone.

And the best few items I've seen this year rank up there with the best items I've come across in any publication since 1974 brought us the Staff of Wizardry with its webs and whirlwinds. So well done, again, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Top 32 have to offer!

Sovereign Court Star Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.

One word: Cloaks

Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Congrats everyone for making it this far. Imma make a joke item for you all (not because me and my friends were doing that nonsense the whole weekend anyway :P)

Spray of Kromm

Aura moderate enchantment; CL 7th
Slot -; Price 100 gp; Weight 1 lbs.
Description
This spray of shining liquid has gained widespread popularity after the infamous Warboys cult used it to great effect. As a full round action which provokes attacks of opportunity its user may uncork the spray and yell "Witness me!" before spraying the liquid over his mouth.

All creatures able to see the spray being used this way and can understand its user's language will have to make a DC 18 Will save. Failing this they will drop any item held in their hands to cross their fingers together yelling "Witness!" as an immediate action or only yell the same if they lack the necessary appendages.

The user of the spray will be under the effects of heroism as the spell of the same name for the next round and if his hit points drop to 0 or below by the end of his next round, all his allies which witnessed the act will be under the effects of heroism for the next 10 minutes.

The Spray of Kromm can only be used once before needing to be replaced. A version which gives greater heroism instead of heroism also exists.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wonderous Item, Dazzling Display, Heroism, Enthrall, creator must be able to cast arcane spells; Cost 50 gp

Season 9 items. You have all been witnessed.

Scarab Sages Star Voter Season 9

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The best compliment you could pay a designer I give to all of you: if I saw a massive hoard at the feet of an ancient red dragon (WITH caster levels and an army of half-dragon/half demon spawn) I would totally snatch your item first after casting expeditious retreat and hightailing it out of there :)

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka mamaursula

Rolling in here at the last minute, I can say that the culls and voters have done their work, these final items are pretty good. I'm excited to see what Season 9 has in store for us.

Champion Voter Season 6, Champion Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Champion Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Yay! I get to vote for my favorite item at least one more time before THE END!

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka mamaursula

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Yup! I just hit Star with 7 minutes to spare. O.O

Champion Voter Season 6, Champion Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Champion Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I was worried you wouldn't get a voter tag this season with all the writing. Good job! :D

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aaand done. :) The overall quality was better this year (thanks to the culls, I presume). My thanks to everyone who entered, it was a pleasure to read your magic items. I think I saw about a dozen items I really liked, and another dozen that definitely had some Superstar mojo.

Good luck, and don't forget to be awesome in round 2 and beyond!

Sovereign Court Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikko Kallio wrote:

Aaand done. :) The overall quality was better this year (thanks to the culls, I presume). My thanks to everyone who entered, it was a pleasure to read your magic items. I think I saw about a dozen items I really liked, and another dozen that definitely had some Superstar mojo.

Good luck, and don't forget to be awesome in round 2 and beyond!

*Puffs out Chest* *Boasts* I intend to! hahah!

*Hunches down* *peeps* IF I make it of course...
<.<
>.>
*Runs*

Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Mikko Kallio wrote:

Aaand done. :) The overall quality was better this year (thanks to the culls, I presume). My thanks to everyone who entered, it was a pleasure to read your magic items. I think I saw about a dozen items I really liked, and another dozen that definitely had some Superstar mojo.

Good luck, and don't forget to be awesome in round 2 and beyond!

Thanks, Mikko. Here's hoping I make it--I'm really going to bring the mojo next round. (As I feel I did this round.)

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Zahir ibn Mahmoud ibn Jothan

Hey, since many of you have a top 32 list you've maintained, and by doing som, that means you thought they were great items, and thus "praise"-able.

Anyone willing to share? PM me your lists, I'd love to see them.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Phloid

Tripp Elliott wrote:

Hey, since many of you have a top 32 list you've maintained, and by doing som, that means you thought they were great items, and thus "praise"-able.

Anyone willing to share? PM me your lists, I'd love to see them.

Me too, Me too!


Nickolas Floyd wrote:
Tripp Elliott wrote:

Hey, since many of you have a top 32 list you've maintained, and by doing som, that means you thought they were great items, and thus "praise"-able.

Anyone willing to share? PM me your lists, I'd love to see them.

Me too, Me too!

Me too, also!

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Petty Alchemy

I'm also willing to trade my Keep List. I've already sent it out to people that have asked. PM me yours if you want to see mine.

Dedicated Voter Season 9

I havent been keeping track of a keep list (first year doing this), but I'd like to see anyone's list who's willing to share.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka Tothric

If people are throwing around keep lists.
I would definitely like a peek, to tide me over until tomorrow. If not, that's A-ok. I'll find something else to do.

I guess I have my video-game stream tonight, that Should occupy some time.

Lantern Lodge Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Jayson MF Kip

I think I came up with a Top Two Tiers list that had something like 28-35 entries in it. Some made it to the end, some didn't, but if anyone's interested, send me a PM and I'll get it to you sometime.

Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

I would also be curious to see people's ''keep'' lists. I didn't make one myself but also seeing how people make them might convince me to take the time and make one myself next time around.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka theheadkase

I didn't keep a list this time, but anyone willing to share with me I would be more than happy to send back my favorites I saw that are still in my head.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 9

I didn't make one but I was really hopefully on those sock puppets! Lol

401 to 450 of 489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / General Discussion / Praise thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.