Praise thread!


RPG Superstar™ General Discussion

251 to 300 of 489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Star Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Googleshng wrote:

It's funny comparing the level of detail given in this thread and the snark one. Over there it's (and yes I am intentionally using a description here that does not apply to anything I have actually seen):

"Really? Pink elephants?" "No glaive-guisarme should cost that much." Etc.

Here, it's:

"Ooh! I really like you!"

Seems like the two should really work on the same standard, one way or the other.

I can't help but think that there is some damning testimony to be made about the entire state of the internet in the quoted post.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka dien

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Googleshng wrote:

It's funny comparing the level of detail given in this thread and the snark one. Over there it's (and yes I am intentionally using a description here that does not apply to anything I have actually seen):

"Really? Pink elephants?" "No glaive-guisarme should cost that much." Etc.

Here, it's:

"Ooh! I really like you!"

Seems like the two should really work on the same standard, one way or the other.

Well, some of the issue is that (at least based on what I've seen) many of the design errors are universal among bad items-- awful pricing, for instance, or misunderstanding game balance. You can snark about those without identifying an item.

However, it is much harder to praise an item without becoming dangerously specific. I mean, if you're coming to the praise thread, it is not because you read and item and went 'dang, that thing is perfectly formatted, that's great.' If something about that item grabbed you, it was likely the union of all the elements-- the theme, mechanics, and that indescribable something really just WORKED for you-- but how do you manage to relay that without getting too specific? It is tricky.

For myself, in praising an item I try and stick in enough clues that hopefully, the designer, if reading this thread, may see my praise and go 'ooh, that sounds like mine' and can get a little boost of happiness and hope-- but at the same time I have to leave it at just clues, and not explicit references. It's a tricky balance. And sometimes it's easier just to stick with safely vague, I suppose.

(For the record I do think that several comments in the snark thread have gotten too specific, but some of them always are. I chalk it up to frustration, and the desire to mutually share and commiserate over frustration, which in the heat of the moment can overcome specificity-judgment.)

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka dien

And speaking of..

Oh, that item's nice. At first I didn't think I'd like it, but on a careful read, it's a nice package of a simple but useful ability with a clear thematic connection. Almost makes me want to play a kobold [class redacted]. :P

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka surfbored

9 people marked this as a favorite.

The culls are working, as I now have 6 strong keeps, all of varying types.

Also, let's take a minute to praise Paizo IT. The contest is working great this year and they deserve a hardy pat on the back. Or perhaps one of the top 32 for their next adventure? ;)

Marathon Voter Season 9

Jerry Keyes wrote:

The culls are working, as I now have 6 strong keeps, all of varying types.

Also, let's take a minute to praise Paizo IT. The contest is working great this year and they deserve a hardy pat on the back. Or perhaps one of the top 32 for their next adventure? ;)

RPGSS Voting System, why can't I vote for you? You are a great wondrous... item.

Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

@Jerry Keyes:

I have two nits to pick:

1) The contest is working very well, but they did label the first season without a year season "1" (as in Star Voter 1; Dedicated Voter 1; Person Without Children or Really Any Particular Priorities This Week 1) when elsewhere on this site it's consistently season 9.

They'll fix that. Absolutely no big deal since there's no other season "1" with which to confuse it. I admit it's a nit.

but also,

2) when you say:

Quote:
"they deserve a hardy pat on the back. Or perhaps one of the top 32 for their next adventure? ;)"

I think that you're forgetting that without judges' special authority/power beyond commenting to influence votes, with IT being the ones that verify accounts as belonging to persons ineligible to compete, and with EVERYTHING determined by the vote-count data...

...I think that if Paizo IT really wants a shot at contributing, they have their ways to make sure that happens...

Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Oops.

Forgot sarcasm tags.

Above comment should not be read to question the ethics of anyone at Paizo IT, or otherwise disparage in the least way anyone with Tron USER powers.

Really.

I have nothing but respect and spare cash for Paizo IT.

Grand Lodge Marathon Voter Season 9

You are a silly item, and I would never buy you. If my party found you, however, we would lurv you forever. You are very cool, and incredibly well written.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Epic Meepo

CripDyke wrote:

I have two nits to pick:

1) The contest is working very well, but they did label the first season without a year season "1" ...

I thought the "1" meant you've earned that tag one time since they stopped counting by years, not that you earned that tag in Season 1.

Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

@Eric Morton

Quote:
I thought the "1" meant you've earned that tag one time since they stopped counting by years, not that you earned that tag in Season 1.

I actually sent a private message to ask. I didn't assume it was an error, but I did wonder if it was correct. Paizo said it's an error, so that's what I'm going with.

Dark Archive

I love it when an item is well written, short, to the point, and useful. (Sorry to be so vague, but I've seen a few of these today, and they all deserve praise!)

Scarab Sages

The remaining joke items are really sharp.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka GM_Solspiral

Okay neck slot item, I do not like the name and I think tht will edge you out of the top 32 as will your simple mechanics... But you picked a clever niche and made an item I feel should already be in the game and will certainly make my personal rop 32 and be an option in my home games.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka GM_Solspiral

I haven't said this yet but I will now, the over all middling to top tier is better this year then ever before. Cull-able un-formatted submissions will always happen as will OP items and joke items and every design sin imaginable but I have more top tier items to consider then I have in previous years.

Kudos to the field

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Epic Meepo

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Okay, item, half-way through your description, I was convinced you were biting off more you could chew. But then you busted out that monster in the second half of your description to make it all work. Very clever.

Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

5 people marked this as a favorite.

OK, I saw your name on the list of items when the voting first started, and I was hoping you'd be good. I finally saw you for the first time today...

...and you are excellent. You not only live up to your name, you also managed to surprise me with what you do, which perfectly fits your theme. I think I managed to cobble together a decent solid item this year, but you are better, easily so, and I dread a head-to-head vote off... because my item will lose. If you are not in the Top 32, then the spambots must have voted you down.

Sovereign Court Marathon Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

OK, I saw your name on the list of items when the voting first started, and I was hoping you'd be good. I finally saw you for the first time today...

...and you are excellent. You not only live up to your name, you also managed to surprise me with what you do, which perfectly fits your theme. I think I managed to cobble together a decent solid item this year, but you are better, easily so, and I dread a head-to-head vote off... because my item will lose. If you are not in the Top 32, then the spambots must have voted you down.

PM me? ^_^

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka Tothric

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I saw an item today: it went up against my item.

This item was so good, I had a pause. I had to really think about my vote, because it was the first time I saw my item, and I REALLY wanted to vote for my item.

But that other item... it just deserved it.

Good luck in the next round designer. (Not saying my item is top 32 worthy, just saying that if you make me stop, and feel bad about voting for my item because yours is so good; it is very likely in my opinion that you will make it to the top 32.)

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka dien

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

OK, I saw your name on the list of items when the voting first started, and I was hoping you'd be good. I finally saw you for the first time today...

...and you are excellent. You not only live up to your name, you also managed to surprise me with what you do, which perfectly fits your theme. I think I managed to cobble together a decent solid item this year, but you are better, easily so, and I dread a head-to-head vote off... because my item will lose. If you are not in the Top 32, then the spambots must have voted you down.

Gonna ape Kalindlara-- mind a PM?

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka dien

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tothric wrote:

I saw an item today: it went up against my item.

This item was so good, I had a pause. I had to really think about my vote, because it was the first time I saw my item, and I REALLY wanted to vote for my item.

But that other item... it just deserved it.

Good luck in the next round designer. (Not saying my item is top 32 worthy, just saying that if you make me stop, and feel bad about voting for my item because yours is so good; it is very likely in my opinion that you will make it to the top 32.)

It takes integrity to do that, sir. *salute* But sometimes the karma gods reward that!

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka Tothric

dana huber wrote:
Tothric wrote:

I saw an item today: it went up against my item.

This item was so good, I had a pause. I had to really think about my vote, because it was the first time I saw my item, and I REALLY wanted to vote for my item.

But that other item... it just deserved it.

Good luck in the next round designer. (Not saying my item is top 32 worthy, just saying that if you make me stop, and feel bad about voting for my item because yours is so good; it is very likely in my opinion that you will make it to the top 32.)

It takes integrity to do that, sir. *salute* But sometimes the karma gods reward that!

Dana, I don't think it's Integrity if the other item was just that good, that it outclassed my own. To you designer, I must say, GOOD JOB.

The nature of self-interest does not generate a better game. A better designer generates a better game.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Since the second cull, the items have become really excellent. There's some great stuff in general here.

Star Voter Season 9

dana huber wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

OK, I saw your name on the list of items when the voting first started, and I was hoping you'd be good. I finally saw you for the first time today...

...and you are excellent. You not only live up to your name, you also managed to surprise me with what you do, which perfectly fits your theme. I think I managed to cobble together a decent solid item this year, but you are better, easily so, and I dread a head-to-head vote off... because my item will lose. If you are not in the Top 32, then the spambots must have voted you down.

Gonna ape Kalindlara-- mind a PM?

Third'd. Would love a PM on that item.

Dedicated Voter Season 9

Now that is a really cool, useful, and surprisingly simple ability for an armor to possess. The small, random element might not be the best choice, but I love the item as a whole.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Jester David wrote:
Since the second cull, the items have become really excellent. There's some great stuff in general here.

Apparently I have been tasked with the housecleaning of the leftovers ;-)

Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Eric Morton wrote:
Okay, item, half-way through your description, I was convinced you were biting off more you could chew. But then you busted out that monster in the second half of your description to make it all work. Very clever.

I am convinced I just saw this item, and I have to agree - easily one of my favorites for this year.

Shadow Lodge Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
RonarsCorruption wrote:
Eric Morton wrote:
Okay, item, half-way through your description, I was convinced you were biting off more you could chew. But then you busted out that monster in the second half of your description to make it all work. Very clever.
I am convinced I just saw this item, and I have to agree - easily one of my favorites for this year.

Oh. Yeah.

If that's the one I think it is, then yes, it's on my short keep list as well.

Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm really impressed with the quality, especially the last few days. I think I have upvoted every kind of weapon, armor, shield, and wondrous item at some point. There are quality items of every kind.

I have also had to break some of my tiebreakers- if two items are fairly equal generally I'll lean towards more interesting name, more original concept or execution, or simply more concise or better formatted. But sometimes re-reading items makes me upvote an overly wordy or not perfectly formatted item if the abilities work together nicely. Those items may not make the top 32 (ideally nice ability synergy is made clear on the first read through) but some are nicely done.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Hodge Podge

Dear pretty shield. I love your ease of use and lack of abstraction. Your mechanic shows the elegance that comes along with not using numbers all willy-nilly.

Shield, you complete me. :)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Epic Meepo

Ha! This item is a great way for a bard with a high Bluff score to "accidentally" injure a rival. "Oh, sorry friend. You know these things aren't 100% reliable. I'm sure it'll work right next time."

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bullrushing a ghost? Well that's just...
Really well done!

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

2 nice items. But one was better and well-formatted too :-) In fact I am Keeping it

It feels similar to my own item BTW. Hope that it's a good omen :-P

Dedicated Voter Season 9

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh you beautiful joke item. As this is my 1st RPGSS, I didn't now I was ALLOWED to love you until you survived a few of the Culls. Marry me, Joke item. Our kids will be beautiful.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Gross name and woefully underpriced considering its potential applications but right on the theme with well-thought abilities. Keep it is.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

This item started quite strongly (excellent visuals BTW) but the abilities feel too mismatched for this to be a keep. Good potential though. Upvoted

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Whoo. I like you. Golarion flavor spot-on, effects that are both funny and thematic, as well as opening some new tactics in battle. You are a Keep :-)

Dark Archive Star Voter Season 9

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Clearly a joke item, but also clearly awesome thematically and mechanically. Would use in a heartbeat.

Star Voter Season 9

3 people marked this as a favorite.

A moment of praise on my part for those individuals who have survived not one, not two, but three culls!

The quality is very much improved and its become quite difficult to pick out the superior item. At this point, I'm looking as much at rules mechanics, play and cost balancing as flavor!

Fun, fun!

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka Tothric

Hypothetical Ethical Question for the Contestants who vote.

Item A) Pretty good solid item.
vs
Item B) Your item. About equal stands with other item.

Is this an acceptable (Nay I say, only real ethical time) to hit the bad shame-don't-do equally good or bad item?

I mean, voter bias is a thing here... And clearly one would be more inclined to vote for one's own item? Could we potentially use that button as a "My item is one of the two, so I don't feel comfortable voting." Button?

didn't want to start up another forum, I figured this would be the next best place?

Shadow Lodge Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

There are no circumstances in which I will vote against my item.

Oh wait...am I not supposed to say that out loud?

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

It is entirely up to you. Unless my item is clearly outclassed, I will vote for it. Against an equal or lesser, I will vote for my item.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9 aka Darkjoy

I will always vote for my item and you will always vote for your item.

This is the most basic truth of RPG superstar.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Vote for the better item...

...but...

...no reason to feel bad about voting for your item even if the other item is better. There are many enough voters for it to not really matter, just a single drop in a sea of votes.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Epic Meepo

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Tothric wrote:

Hypothetical Ethical Question for the Contestants who vote.

Item A) Pretty good solid item.
vs
Item B) Your item. About equal stands with other item.

Is this an acceptable (Nay I say, only real ethical time) to hit the bad shame-don't-do equally good or bad item?

I always up-vote my own item without remorse because I'm voting for the designer who made the item, not the item itself. I have 100% confidence in my own design skills and significantly less confidence in the design skills of an anonymous, randomly-selected stranger.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I think I will be able to see which seems the best item, even the best designer.

If the other is really good, I will upvote it because I would want to see what its designer can give to our community.

If it is on par with mine, I would likely downvote it because I wish to see more of this contest : I am already dreaming up a map and a monster :-)

Lantern Lodge Dedicated Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Jayson MF Kip

I just assume I won't see my own item. The chances are pretty slim.

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Mikko Kallio wrote:
Vote for the better item....

Vote for the better designer.

If you think you will bomb maps, monsters, or the professional module, go for the other. If nothing in the other tells you this person will rock the maps, monsters, or the professional module, vote for yours.

Unless the other item is mine. Vote for me ;)

Dedicated Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T200b1EquG0

There is a version of this. I love it, I want it.

Grand Lodge Marathon Voter Season 9

There are two items I've been following that still haven't been seen I hope you both made it through the stealth cull but if not I'll understand, and while that makes my own item more likely to move forward I'll mourn your loss.

Star Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

I don't think anyone should feel bad about voting for their item, even if the other one is better.
Cause first of all, as Mikko said, it's a single drop in a sea of votes- it probably won't effect the outcome much.
Secondly, I look at it as a confidence booster. There's nothing wrong with a little self-affirmation and to believe that you're good enough to advance. Even if you turn out to be leagues behind the competition, it's important that you have the will to keep going- to know that your hard work will pay off, maybe not now, but eventually. A vote for your item is a vote of confidence in yourself and that, I think, is invaluable as a content creator.

251 to 300 of 489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / General Discussion / Praise thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.