RPG line Hardcover books: What's next / left after Paizocon and Gencon announcements?


Product Discussion

101 to 150 of 197 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Steampunk Adventures
Techno Adventures
Monster Codex II+
Planar Adventures


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ultimate Kingdom


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ultimate Nobility / Noble Adventures


Class Compendium- book with every class to date plus alternate versions of those classes and maybe a few new ones. No feats, archetypes, spells, magic items, etc. just the classes.

Ultimate Equipment 2

Feat/Trait Compendium

Spell Compendium


Dragon78:
Agree completely about Class Compendium
So many classes , would be nice to have it all in one book

Same thoughts about Spell Compendium
So many spells, would be nice to have all organized in one book

Liberty's Edge

As much as I like monsters. I can live without more bestiaries. I'm looking for more interesting and uniques monsters. What's the difference between a cave, hill, mountain or ravine troll anyway.

My list:

A updated equivalent of manual of the planes for Golarion.

Another campaign setting preferably not fantasy.

Steampunk setting or at the very least a book detailing how to run and create such adventures.

A feat/spell compendium

Spell cards

A series of books on environments. The Wotc environment series of books remain some of my favourite.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Compendium books

a) become obsolete the next month
b) are associated with new editions of the game coming right next up.


Ultimate Bloodlines
Book focused on classes with sorcerer bloodlines such as sorcerer, bloodrager, and a new class. This new class would be a d8, 3/4 BA, 6th level caster, 4+Int skill point class that focuses on bloodline powers.

Ultimate Kineticist
Book focused on kineticist and kinetic based archetypes.

Archetype Compendium

Prestige Class Compendium


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:

Compendium books

a) become obsolete the next month
b) are associated with new editions of the game coming right next up.

There is ONE Way the could get away with it.

Player Compendium Vol. 1: 2008-2010
Player Compendium Vol. 2: 2010-2012
Player Compendium Vol. 3: 2012-2014

etc.

Basically, after the Player's Companions go out of print, reprint them in large books, with the caveat that they're planned to be in multiple "volumes".

---

Alternatively, group 'em together nicely:

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Lands of Golarion Vol. 1 (Osirion, Land of Pharaohs; Taldor, Echoes of Glory; Qadira, Gateway to the East; Cheliax, Empire of Devils; Andoran, Spirit of Liberty; Sargava, the Lost Colony; Varisia, Birthplace of Legends; Dragon Empires Primer; Inner Sea Primer)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Races of Golarion Vol. 1 (Elves of Golarion, Orcs of Golarion, Gnomes of Golarion, Goblins of Golarion, Halflings of Golarion, Humans of Golarion, Kobolds of Golarion, Bastards of Golarion)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Adventurers' Manuals Vol. 1 (Dungeoneer's Handbook, Dragon Slayer's Handbook, Demon Hunter's Handbook, Undead Slayer's Handbook, Giant Hunter's Handbook, Monster Summoner's Handbook, Weapon Master's Handbook, Ranged Tactics Toolbox, Melee Tactics Toolbox, Dirty Tactics Toolbox)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Peoples of Golarion Vol 1. (People of the North, People of the Stars, People of the River, People of the Sands, Pirates of the Inner Sea, Knights of the Inner Sea, Heroes of the Wild, Heroes of the Streets)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Adventurer's Options Vol. 1 (Adventurer's Armory, Animal Archive, Magical Marketplace, Alchemy Manual, Familiar Folio, Cohorts and Companions, Harrow handbook, Black Markets)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Champions of Faith Vol. 1 (Faiths & Philosophies, Faiths of Purity, Champions of Purity, Faiths of Balance, Champions of Balance, Faiths of Corruption, Champions of Corrpution, etc.)

Pathfinder Player Compendium: Scions of Golarion Vol. 1 (Blood of Angels, Blood of Fiends, Blood of the Night, Blood of Elementals, Blood of the Moon, etc.)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
chbgraphicarts wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:

Compendium books

a) become obsolete the next month
b) are associated with new editions of the game coming right next up.

There is ONE Way the could get away with it.

Player Compendium Vol. 1: 2008-2010
Player Compendium Vol. 2: 2010-2012
Player Compendium Vol. 3: 2012-2014

etc.

Basically, after the Player's Companions go out of print, reprint them in large books, with the caveat that they're planned to be in multiple "volumes".

And then people would stop bothering to buy the Player's Companion books, and wait on the compendiums. So they would never go out of print, and the compendiums would never come.


I agree with Kthulhu on straight up compendiums of companions/campaign setting material being bad for business

Instead of that route they are doing stuff like Races of the Inner Sea and Inner Sea Gods, which reprints and updates some material while adding a bunch of new options.

A hardcover book focused on bloodlines or kineticist would be awful...niche. I don't think Paizo would do a book with that narrow a focus


Kthulhu wrote:
And then people would stop bothering to buy the Player's Companion books, and wait on the compendiums. So they would never go out of print, and the compendiums would never come.

Not really.

Would it make a small impact? Sure. But there'll always be people who want it ASAP, rather than wait for years for the collected volume.

It's like Issues vs Trades in comics - some people wait solely for the Trades to come out and never by an Issue; obviously, though, there's more than enough sales of Issues to justify still printing them.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey, it's the exact same reasoning that Paizo doesn't make AP compilations. I'm just echoing what they have said.

I agree with it, but that doesn't chance the fact that I'm just echoing it.

Besides, this thread is supposed to be about the RPG line, ie setting-neutral. Player Companion books are setting specific.

Dark Archive

Could still do a tech/scifi book since they have a good start for it with all the stuff in the technoligy guide and iron gods ap.


Dragon78 wrote:

Ultimate Bloodlines

Book focused on classes with sorcerer bloodlines such as sorcerer, bloodrager, and a new class. This new class would be a d8, 3/4 BA, 6th level caster, 4+Int skill point class that focuses on bloodline powers.

You're thinking of The Big Book of Bloodlines. The backer-only previews look really good. I'm not sure when precisely the whole thing is coming out.

Unfortunately, it was run at the same time as the Pact Magic Unbound kickstarter, and the bloodline book had inferior advertisement and quite possibly a narrower appeal.


Monster toolbox type book with templates, feats, alternate racial/monster traits and many more options for monsters of all types.


I could go for an all out animals book. Huge sections of collected familiars and companions. New monster feats. Sections for playing awakened animals. And possibly playing an animal campaign in general.

Many people just min/max a Dino but GMs like mine think animals should be appropriate to the campaign setting.

I also think that beyond level 7ish growth the animal companion starts to fall behind.

It would be a splendid chance for me teamwork feats.

Although an Ultimate Party book devoted on how to get characters to work together. Crating, spells, feats, combat maneuvers etc.


Advanced Options Guide-
A book that can cover the mechanical niches left behind by the ACG and APG.

  • Spontaneous Druid/Shaman/Witch
  • prepared 4/9 full BAB arcane caster
  • spontaneous 4/9 full BAB divine rager casters
  • 6/9 witch/shaman
  • grit class based off INT
It goes on and on.
It could include a VMC list for every class, and have more multiclass options and even could include prestige classes specifically designed to let you hybridize classes in your own way.

Advanced Arms Guide-
A book that can include even more armor and weapons (especially racial), as well as rules for creating your own. Would also be nice to see more of the AP magic items reprinted.
I can also see this including a fighter remake and a boat load of new feats to go along with it.
EDIT: If it includes a single class, it's more likely to be an Ultimate line, something like Ultimate Armory, or Ultimate Weapons

Epic Adventures-
Book covers mechanics for level 21+ adventures, with guidelines on how to progress classes past 20th level and epic spellcasting.

Ultimate Heritage-
A book that covers taking the core (and featured) races and expands on different racial variants and heritages that can give us things like high/wood elves, and tinker/rock gnomes. Those racial weapons could show up here too.
It would also be nice to see them go back over the Racial Heritage mess and finally put into print rules about humans not being able to grow tails by taking a feat.


Advanced Campaign: Downtime stuff
Advanced NPC Codex: NPC codex but with the new classes
Animal Codex: Collection of all the animals in the game + additional animals + animals with templates on them + more animal companions.
Dragon Codex: Collection of various dragon statistics for each type of true dragon.
Planar Adventures: Expanded rules and options for planar campaigns
Technological Adventures: Reworked technology guide
Ultimate Wilds: Wilderness options for all characters
Unleashed: Effectively unchained 2

Lantern Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4

master_marshmallow wrote:

Advanced Options Guide-

A book that can cover the mechanical niches left behind by the ACG and APG.
  • Spontaneous Druid/Shaman/Witch
  • prepared 4/9 full BAB arcane caster
  • spontaneous 4/9 full BAB divine rager casters
  • 6/9 witch/shaman
  • grit class based off INT
It goes on and on.
It could include a VMC list for every class, and have more multiclass options and even could include prestige classes specifically designed to let you hybridize classes in your own way.

Advanced Arms Guide-
A book that can include even more armor and weapons (especially racial), as well as rules for creating your own. Would also be nice to see more of the AP magic items reprinted.
I can also see this including a fighter remake and a boat load of new feats to go along with it.
EDIT: If it includes a single class, it's more likely to be an Ultimate line, something like Ultimate Armory, or Ultimate Weapons

Epic Adventures-
Book covers mechanics for level 21+ adventures, with guidelines on how to progress classes past 20th level and epic spellcasting.

Ultimate Heritage-
A book that covers taking the core (and featured) races and expands on different racial variants and heritages that can give us things like high/wood elves, and tinker/rock gnomes. Those racial weapons could show up here too.
It would also be nice to see them go back over the Racial Heritage mess and finally put into print rules about humans not being able to grow tails by taking a feat.

The ley-line guardian witch archetype from Occult Adventures makes witch a spontaneous caster.


Robert Brookes wrote:
master_marshmallow wrote:

Advanced Options Guide-

A book that can cover the mechanical niches left behind by the ACG and APG.
  • Spontaneous Druid/Shaman/Witch
  • prepared 4/9 full BAB arcane caster
  • spontaneous 4/9 full BAB divine rager casters
  • 6/9 witch/shaman
  • grit class based off INT
It goes on and on.
It could include a VMC list for every class, and have more multiclass options and even could include prestige classes specifically designed to let you hybridize classes in your own way.

Advanced Arms Guide-
A book that can include even more armor and weapons (especially racial), as well as rules for creating your own. Would also be nice to see more of the AP magic items reprinted.
I can also see this including a fighter remake and a boat load of new feats to go along with it.
EDIT: If it includes a single class, it's more likely to be an Ultimate line, something like Ultimate Armory, or Ultimate Weapons

Epic Adventures-
Book covers mechanics for level 21+ adventures, with guidelines on how to progress classes past 20th level and epic spellcasting.

Ultimate Heritage-
A book that covers taking the core (and featured) races and expands on different racial variants and heritages that can give us things like high/wood elves, and tinker/rock gnomes. Those racial weapons could show up here too.
It would also be nice to see them go back over the Racial Heritage mess and finally put into print rules about humans not being able to grow tails by taking a feat.

The ley-line guardian witch archetype from Occult Adventures makes witch a spontaneous caster.

The Brawler and Skald were also archetypes before the ACG.


We're also due for three more strategy guides, for the APG, ACG, and OA releases.


And prestige classes are slim ing general especially for newer/hybrid classes. A whole book on prestige/ways of combining them and designing them would be great. Currently there are only one or two that support animal companions let alone focus on them.

My dream would be prestige options that would allow you to specialize in any of the major(or minor?) aspects of your class while bringing on the others more slowly.

Another big hole is that classes that get spells more slowly are blocked out of almost all prestige classes. Ones that focus on combat give up a lot of the spell improvements you would have had, and ones that increase spell casting are way underpowered compared to true spell classes.


If we're making wish lists then I'd like to see more _____ Adventures covering more themes that don't have crunch. Given the activity in the third party crowd I'd say that the Technology Guide and Iron Gods was enough of a hit to warrant a hardcover on the subject. With Ultimate Intrigue out of the way I think the only step for that line is a book on physical prowess, a subject I think is a huge hole in the game. Maybe a new class based on physical perfection or some kind of muscle wizard can show up in that. Pathfinder Unchained could use an eventual sequel as a side-loaded Pathfinder 2.0.

What will realistically happen; I think another NPC and Monster Codex are due. I don't think more strategy guides help anyone as anybody that's going past the core rulebook doesn't really need the kind of help that the Strategy Guide covers. I know it's pretty much useless to me other than handing it to newer players. At this point its hard to make heavy crunch books that matter without running out of ideas or unloading way too many classes on the game, so we may go into a repeat cycle of Ultimate Combat/Magic 2 or start going out of genre.

Dark Archive

Planar/Multiverse Adventures
Sci-Fi Adventures / Ultimate Tech
Slockwork/Steampunk/Dieselpunk/Gaslight Fantasy/Etc Adventures
Bestiary 6+
Ultimate Strongholds / Ultimate Kingdom
Primitive Adventures / Adventures Through Time


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Planar/Multiverse Adventures

You mean Dark Roads and Golden Hells?

Quote:
Ultimate Strongholds / Ultimate Kingdom

You mean Ultimate Rulership?

Quote:
Primitive Adventures / Adventures Through Time

You mean Anachronistic Adventures?

Liberty's Edge

Those are third party products. This discussion is specifically about Paizo's RPG line.


Legendary Mythic Maniac wrote:
You mean Dark Roads and Golden Hells?

That adds tonnes of planes, but doesn't add new rules for planes. If that makes sense. Also, most people don't play in Midgard. Also third-party.

Quote:


You mean Ultimate Rulership?

Ridiculously tiny (IMO legendary should put all those Ultimate Ruleship/Battle/War/Relationships in a compilation). Also third-party.

Quote:

You mean Anachronistic Adventures?

Still third party.


The only book I would probably buy is either a Tome of Battle reharsh or a Prestige Class Compendium with 50 new PrC.

Naturally, only after the third printing has been released.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Dekalinder wrote:
The only book I would probably buy is either a Tome of Battle rehash...

Tome of Battle is like Psionics. Paizo won't be using that system at all due to a lack of interest on the part of the designers. (Last I recall, most of them had never even read the book.)

Also like Psionics, Dreamscarred Press has already done an update of maneuver-based combat called Path of War.


Kvantum wrote:
Dekalinder wrote:
The only book I would probably buy is either a Tome of Battle rehash...
Tome of Battle is like Psionics. Paizo won't be using that system at all due to a lack of interest on the part of the designers. (Last I recall, most of them had never even read the book.)

I don't know about that, but among those who have read it, their response here on the forums has been primarily negative. They weren't fond of it.

Granted, these are typically also the same people who have stated their opinion/experience is that caster/martial imbalance is not as bad as many people on the forums believe, so it makes sense from that perspective that a product like Bo9S wouldn't appeal. Those who disagree, however, would likely disagree on both counts.

But +1 to Path of War, highly recommended. Heck, if it has Dreamscarred's name on it, I recommend it.


Thinking about it, other than the stuff I listed on the first page, there are probably enough "pet" classes that you could get an entire new hardcover called "Ultimate Companion" or whatever that just provided new companion/eidolon/phantom/familiar options, equipment, expanded rules for mounted combat, special equipment, and archetypes that give equivalent options to non "pet" classes. Plus stuff with leadership and cohorts.

Edit: would also be a great opportunity for the needed expansion of the unchained summoner eidolon lists.


I know Path of War, I was just stating what i would personally buy. None of those two are actually realistically coming up before a new edition.
Besides, the only reason for a Paizo Tome of Battle would be to have the official Paizo logo printed on top, because ToB could be used straight up like it is in a Pathfinder game and it would be perfectly funtional and also quite well balanced.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'd personally love to see a steam punk book.

Featuring engineers as an actual class along with Artificer, more options for gunslingers and alchemists.

The engineer class would be more mundane mechanics such as machines and robotics and can use specialized guns.

The artificer class would be more magic mixing with machinery.


Thread Reanimation

There has been any news about Horror Adventures? How about a playtest?

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

edduardco wrote:
There has been any news about Horror Adventures? How about a playtest?

I doubt we'll hear anything about HA until PaizoCon. Also there aren't any new classes in there so no need for a playtest.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm less interested in more rule books and more interested in seeing an expanding campaign setting line. The Inner Sea has been covered nicely now let's start seeing the rest of the world.


Thank you Eryx_UK, I have been saying that for a while now.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Galt
Nex
Geb
Razmiran
Druma
Isger
Jalmeray
Realm of Mammooth Lords
Mana Wastes
Molthune
Nidal
Nirmathas
Rahadoum
Sodden Lands
Hermea
Thuvia

The Inner Sea region is far from "nicely covered".

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The toothy bag has the right of it. Golarion is huge and they haven't even begun to properly cover it.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

And I'm not even touching the fact that some nations have only 32pg books to their name.

Silver Crusade Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
And I'm not even touching the fact that some nations have only 32pg books to their name.

coughtaldorcough

...

Sorry, I meant to say Taldor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Galt!!!!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

32 pages for a nation is a lot better then a few pages for an entire continent or a planet.


I understand that Gorbacz and I agree with you. But I'd at least like to see a hard cover setting book, similar to the Inner Sea one, for Arcadia, Tian Xia, southern Garund and all lands east between the Inner Sea and Tian. I'd like to see those before we see anymore rule book additions.


I would like to see those before we get a Pathfinder 2nd edition in the year 2020.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That's a stupid thing to attach a date to.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The thing is, books like the Inner Sea World Guide and other hardcover books are Campaign Setting books, and thus have nothing to do with Pathfinder RPG books, which are primarily made by completely different sets of people. So more hardcovers like Occult Adventures and Horror Adventures doesn't impact whether or not we get a Tian Xia World Guide or a Garund World Guide...

Silver Crusade Contributor

Luthorne wrote:
The thing is, books like the Inner Sea World Guide and other hardcover books are Campaign Setting books, and thus have nothing to do with Pathfinder RPG books, which are primarily made by completely different sets of people. So more hardcovers like Occult Adventures and Horror Adventures doesn't impact whether or not we get a Tian Xia World Guide or a Garund World Guide...

They still generally only release so many hardcovers in a year. Plus, some of the people (such as editors) probably do work on both types.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
Luthorne wrote:
The thing is, books like the Inner Sea World Guide and other hardcover books are Campaign Setting books, and thus have nothing to do with Pathfinder RPG books, which are primarily made by completely different sets of people. So more hardcovers like Occult Adventures and Horror Adventures doesn't impact whether or not we get a Tian Xia World Guide or a Garund World Guide...
They still generally only release so many hardcovers in a year. Plus, some of the people (such as editors) probably do work on both types.

Yeah, that's why I said primarily, there is some degree of overlap, just not a lot. I haven't noticed there being fewer Pathfinder RPG books with the rise of hardcover Campaign Setting books, though, but I'll admit that's just an impression, I haven't looked at the year-by-year numbers.

101 to 150 of 197 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Paizo Products / Product Discussion / RPG line Hardcover books: What's next / left after Paizocon and Gencon announcements? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.