Restoration Dust and Breath of Life


Rules Questions


If i use Restoration Dust on a body and right at the same time or just after using the dust on the body. get someone to use Breath of Life on the body, would it work?

i going by the wording saying "effectively restarting the day count that limits raise dead"

by that the count would be 0 days, one could take that as 0 seconds from when you put it on the body and as there 6 seconds to a round, that being within the time for breath of life to work.

Restoration Dust link.

Breath of Life link.

Silver Crusade

I would imagine this would work however the obvious note being that you still have the one condition that Breath of Life places. But it should work.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Restarting the day count back to 0 is not the same as fulfilling the ' 'died within 1 round' requirement of Breath of Life. This would not work by the rules.


I agree with Talon Stormwarden on this one, and I'd add that I seriously doubt that it was ever intended to work like OP suggests. It would cheapen dying even more than it already is.

Silver Crusade

Talon Stormwarden wrote:
Restarting the day count back to 0 is not the same as fulfilling the ' 'died within 1 round' requirement of Breath of Life. This would not work by the rules.

Actually the dust very specifically states that it allows the corpse to "be identified or raised as if it were killed recently". So by the rules then it COULD work. Of course I imagine it would be subject to a GM ruling.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Gabriel Cantrell wrote:
Talon Stormwarden wrote:
Restarting the day count back to 0 is not the same as fulfilling the ' 'died within 1 round' requirement of Breath of Life. This would not work by the rules.
Actually the dust very specifically states that it allows the corpse to "be identified or raised as if it were killed recently". So by the rules then it COULD work. Of course I imagine it would be subject to a GM ruling.

There is a gulf between "killed recently" and "killed in the last 6 seconds".

Silver Crusade

Diego Rossi wrote:
Gabriel Cantrell wrote:
Talon Stormwarden wrote:
Restarting the day count back to 0 is not the same as fulfilling the ' 'died within 1 round' requirement of Breath of Life. This would not work by the rules.
Actually the dust very specifically states that it allows the corpse to "be identified or raised as if it were killed recently". So by the rules then it COULD work. Of course I imagine it would be subject to a GM ruling.

There is a gulf between "killed recently" and "killed in the last 6 seconds".

This is true but it does still open the possibility. As I said I would imagine that it would be up to the GM to decide just how 'recent' is recent.

Personally I would say no. It would make them dead for less than a day but not THAT freshly dead. But that is me.


Theoretically there is no RAW proof that the dust WOULDN'T work, for what OP suggests, but neither is there anything that proves that it DOES work.
Which means it is left up to the GM.
Personally speaking, it would be another way to cheapen dying more than it already is, so I'd say no.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

Does it say "as if it were killed this round?" If it doesn't, it's because that's not what it does. I understand that "recently" can include "this round", but it doesn't need to. Just as all crows are birds, not all birds are crows.

So yeah, sorry, RAW tells you what the dust does, and the writers didn't use the specific wording that would allow breath of life to work.


1- Does "as if it were killed recently (effectively restarting the day count that limits raise dead)" count as "If cast upon a creature that has died within 1 round"? Mayne, but this has already been discussed.

2- BOL raises the dead by healing hp damage. How many hp's does a Restored "partially decomposed corpse" have, or rather, how many negative hps does it have?

Silver Crusade

Valandil Ancalime wrote:


1- Does "as if it were killed recently (effectively restarting the day count that limits raise dead)" count as "If cast upon a creature that has died within 1 round"? Mayne, but this has already been discussed.

2- BOL raises the dead by healing hp damage. How many hp's does a Restored "partially decomposed corpse" have, or rather, how many negative hps does it have?

1- Agreed. Any more talk is beating the dead horse as it were.

2- That is actually a good point. I would think, personally, that since it restores the corpse to a 'like new' (haha) status then it would mean it has just as many negative hp as it did when it died. But again this is a VERY gray area of rules.


1) It sais: "allowing the corpse to be identified or raised as if it were killed recently". This allows two things to work: identifying, and the Raise Dead spell. While Breath of Life has the "recently" word, it is further clarified to be within 1 round. I would treat "recently" as within an hour or two, maybe even a couple of hours. I would not equate it as the last round.

2) Dead is defined as negative con. That would be your target number.

My ruling: this does not work.

/cevah


I'd personally disallow it on the sole basis of being cheesy/unfair rather than because it says "day count". Resurrecting someone for 1 000 gp (or 2000 gp) and a level 5 spell is extremely overpowered compared to typical resurrection in the game.

In my opinion stating that it's outright against RAW is just barely the case, if even the case at all. It is absolutely going against RAI though, that's for sure, and that's what matters.


Cevah wrote:
2) Dead is defined as negative con. That would be your target number.

Negative HP do not automatically stop at -Con.

Death Attacks wrote:
In case it matters, a dead character, no matter how he died, has hit points equal to or less than his negative Constitution score.

"Dead" merely defines the minimum conditions necessary to be considered dead...

Dead wrote:
The character's hit points are reduced to a negative amount equal to his Constitution score, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect.

it's unclear whether further damage to the body (which is now an object) should continue to apply directly to the creature as well.

However, it's easiest to assume a dead creature only has hp == -Con.


Breath of life has two requirements to bring the dead back to life. The first is that it has to be recently killed. The second is that the creature has to have died within 1 round. This may seem like it is one requirement, but it is not. All creatures that have died within one round have been recently killed, but not all recently killed creatures have died within one round. Restoration Dust fulfills the first requirement, but not the second.

Restoration Dust also specifies it resets the day count for raise dead. Notice it does not state raise dead or similar effects. That mean RAW it does not change the limit for any other spells, or abilities.

A GM may of course decide to let it work, but at that point it is a house rule.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

Seems using restoration dust followed by breath of life can bring a dead thread back to life. <Grin>


To be fair, the thread was necroed by now deleted spam.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Restoration Dust and Breath of Life All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.