The progenitor campaigns for PFS


Pathfinder Society

Sovereign Court

I dig PFS, a lot. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it built on a lot of successful concepts from other campaigns before it. I was most familiar with Living Greyhawk, but I also played a lot of Living Kingdoms of Kalamar, Living Arcanis, and Living Force.

For those of you familiar with these previous campaigns, what parts of PFS do you think borrowed from them successfully? What things from them that PFS doesn't have would you like to see?


I played through a little of Living Greyhawk when it went from 3.0 to 3.5.

Grand Dutchery of Geoff. Anyone???

I enjoyed the most the way they handle downtime so crafting items, even magical, was manageable. I like to PFS have a way to allow crafting of magical items due to the fact that as Alchemist I losing part of my class power by not being able to brew potions, therefore unable to take discoveries that improve that ability. I will also point out that the Alchemist has an class ability that is useless in PFS under the current crafting rules, yet nothing been done to correct this power gap in over 4+ years.

I only have an Alchemist right now, so I don't know if other class run into similar issues.

Sovereign Court

jtaylor73003 wrote:

Grand Dutchery of Geoff. Anyone???

It's funny that you point out the regional aspects of that campaign, because that was something I thought was pretty neat - each real-life region was coterminous to an in-game region. That helped foster a sense of teamwork among the various regions, and really made each region stand out on its own. Not sure that sort of thing is possible after the fact, and especially with the geographical layout of Golarion.

I was actually from the next region south, Gran March.

Dark Archive

jtaylor73003 wrote:

I played through a little of Living Greyhawk when it went from 3.0 to 3.5.

Grand Dutchery of Geoff. Anyone???

I enjoyed the most the way they handle downtime so crafting items, even magical, was manageable. I like to PFS have a way to allow crafting of magical items due to the fact that as Alchemist I losing part of my class power by not being able to brew potions, therefore unable to take discoveries that improve that ability. I will also point out that the Alchemist has an class ability that is useless in PFS under the current crafting rules, yet nothing been done to correct this power gap in over 4+ years.

I only have an Alchemist right now, so I don't know if other class run into similar issues.

In the guide to organized play, they replace that ability with extra bombs as a bonus feat.


Daniel Wheeler wrote:
jtaylor73003 wrote:

Grand Dutchery of Geoff. Anyone???

It's funny that you point out the regional aspects of that campaign, because that was something I thought was pretty neat - each real-life region was coterminous to an in-game region. That helped foster a sense of teamwork among the various regions, and really made each region stand out on its own. Not sure that sort of thing is possible after the fact, and especially with the geographical layout of Golarion.

I was actually from the next region south, Gran March.

I remember the Duchery, because it was my first convention. My character was a member of the army of the Duchery, and I use to have a t-shirt from it for years. It was just overall a positive experience that I thought was cool.


JHiggs25 wrote:
jtaylor73003 wrote:

I played through a little of Living Greyhawk when it went from 3.0 to 3.5.

Grand Dutchery of Geoff. Anyone???

I enjoyed the most the way they handle downtime so crafting items, even magical, was manageable. I like to PFS have a way to allow crafting of magical items due to the fact that as Alchemist I losing part of my class power by not being able to brew potions, therefore unable to take discoveries that improve that ability. I will also point out that the Alchemist has an class ability that is useless in PFS under the current crafting rules, yet nothing been done to correct this power gap in over 4+ years.

I only have an Alchemist right now, so I don't know if other class run into similar issues.

In the guide to organized play, they replace that ability with extra bombs as a bonus feat.

Yes I am aware that Brew Potion is replaced with Extra Bombs, which isn't anywhere near an equal exchange of abilities. There are still other class features of the Alchemist that have never been addressed that have no effect in PFS. I don't know if other classes suffer from this, but this oversight seems to leave the class lacking in my opinion. I am not trying to turn this thread as a forum for my opinion on the Alchemist. I am trying to give a reason why I would like a more detail downtime to make magical items, even mundane items, like they in Living Greyhawk. Anything to give the Alchemist Class abilities more punch in the field that they were originally designed for.

Sovereign Court

I too wish there could be item crafting rules in PFS, or at least an easier way to get scrolls and potions and wands at a different caster level.

Grand Lodge

jtaylor73003 wrote:
Yes I am aware that Brew Potion is replaced with Extra Bombs, which isn't anywhere near an equal exchange of abilities. There are still other class features of the Alchemist that have never been addressed that have no effect in PFS. I don't know if other classes suffer from this, but this oversight seems to leave the class lacking in my opinion. I am not trying to turn this thread as a forum for my opinion on the Alchemist. I am trying to give a reason why I would like a more detail downtime to make magical items, even mundane items, like they in Living Greyhawk. Anything to give the Alchemist Class abilities more punch in the field that they were originally designed for.

Alchemist Derail:
I disagree, the Alchemist is widely regarded as one of the more powerful classes in game (even without brew potion) and due to archetypes one of the most versatile. Int to damage on dex attacks to touch generally, with discoveries a number of different damage options (including extra abilities like knock down or snakes) with decent scaling. Not to mention grafted wings, extra arms, etc. that give them more options, and some feat interactions that only work with this class. (In fact in 7-11 and seeker level play I've seen a local Alchemist 1 round more than 1 BBEG)
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / The progenitor campaigns for PFS All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.