Supergirl


Television

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,606 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

DeathQuaker wrote:

Okay so:

I am a firm, firm, firm believer that the protagonist needs to be the hero of their own show and when anyone with equivalent or higher power exists in the same world, they need to be handled in such a way that they don't upstage the protagonist. They need to show up when appropriate and have good reason to not be around when they aren't. I believe, particularly, that a show called "Supergirl" should be mainly about Supergirl.

So all of this said: WHERE THE F+** IS SUPERMAN?

Honestly I can accept that he was busy with other stuff and missed the 'world killer' stuff. They seem to come and go so quick that it's plausible that he didn't get the message in time... sure, why not... or the terraforming set up a volcano range and he's dealing with that...

But seriously... what about the 'goodbye party'?? What part of "I found a part of Krypton and I'm leaving to go home and may or may not actually come back because my family and culture is STILL ALIVE" DIDN"T seem like Clark should be mentioned?!?

Even a text or something that said "Sorry Cuz, Brainiac is back... can't make the party. Don't leave till you send me the cooridinates! I want to see this for myself! CK"

I mean... SOMETHING... I can dig superheroes handling thier own problems... the whole first season was about renegade kryptonians, but the family aspect getting ignored just annoys me.


Use of time travel to resolve ethical dilemma: lame.

Sending Winn to a place where his knowledge of existing tech is 1000 years out of date, so he can save entities far smarter than he is: dumb.

Not realizing Lena was going to keep samples of anything she synthesized: almost criminally naive.


Actually there was a bit where James was getting folks out of Catco where the TV was talking about Superman doing something. Didn't quite catch what but I did hear James say "go get'em Clark" in response to it.

and I should have realized that stuff was Black Kryptonite before that end of season cliffhanger.


All of these things are valid and good, but how are none of you talking about the clear outcome of this season's finale...

And of course, I'm talking about BRANIAC FIVE FINALLY GETTING A CHANCE TO BE WITH HIS ONE TRUE LOVE.

Brainy/Kara 2018.

Make it happen, CW. We never got it in the LOSH books, you can't let us down AGAIN.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I feel like they were trying to fold the plot of every Superman movie into this storyline/finale. Supergirl fights three evil Kryptonians (Superman I), Supergirl reverses time to fix things when the people she loves get killed (Superman II), someone is synthesizing Kryptonite (Superman III), someone is trying to use Krypton stuff to terraform Earth/alter Earth's geography (Superman Returns and Man of Steel), Supergirl is faced with the dilemma of killing someone (Man of Steel, but then uses the Superman II solution to avoid the consequences). Oh yeah, and shenanigans with the power source of Argo City (the Supergirl Movie). On top of that, folding in a whole bunch of actual Supergirl and Superman comic references on top of things (Supergirl and the Legion, Reign herself, etc. etc. etc.). There's also the splitting of Kryptonians into a good and evil half, which is Black Kryptonite in the comics (and this show) and the synthetic Kryptonite in Superman III.

And I think that's why the quality of the show has been dropping--the writers seem more interested in making the show a string of references to the Super-fam's past, than writing new, good, interesting stories.

Mind--I will still watch because I enjoy the performances and the goofyness, and I especially enjoy the sisterhood between Alex and Kara, which is one of the few things they haven't f%#$ed up yet.

I actually like that Winn is going to help the Legion, and honestly, I won't miss him. I definitely won't miss Mon-El. I just wish they took James with them too.

I look forward to Kara, Brainy, and Alex taking on the world, and to watching Lena's continued grey area/mad science.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.


Well it's not like Brainiac hasn't been out done by smaller intelligences before.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think you have those movie references backward a bit, Quaker.

Clark goes back in time to save Lois in Superman 1, and fights 3 evil Kryptonians in Superman 2.

And I'm not sure if it's a Black Kryptonite Split Kara, or a Time Displaced Kara, honestly.

Reckless wrote:
A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.

SHE IS HIS ONE TRUE LOVE. In, like, every incarnation of Braniac 5. Even the one where he was lusting after Andromeda, because she was the closest thing to Supergirl around.


jemstone wrote:

I think you have those movie references backward a bit, Quaker.

Clark goes back in time to save Lois in Superman 1, and fights 3 evil Kryptonians in Superman 2.

And I'm not sure if it's a Black Kryptonite Split Kara, or a Time Displaced Kara, honestly.

Reckless wrote:
A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.
SHE IS HIS ONE TRUE LOVE. In, like, every incarnation of Braniac 5. Even the one where he was lusting after Andromeda, because she was the closest thing to Supergirl around.

I am hoping the writers are stealing a page from The Flash. We saw too many time copies for major villains there.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

jemstone wrote:

I think you have those movie references backward a bit, Quaker.

Clark goes back in time to save Lois in Superman 1, and fights 3 evil Kryptonians in Superman 2.

Sorry, I haven't seen the first two since I was a kid. Point was all of the movies seem to be referenced. Well, maybe not IV, but I think I've intentionally forgotten most of the events of that movie, and I'm not sure if we're supposed to count that one anyway.

Thank god we didn't have to sit through Mon El singing "Can you read my mind?"

Quote:


And I'm not sure if it's a Black Kryptonite Split Kara, or a Time Displaced Kara, honestly.

I thought the latter originally, myself, but when people brought up Black Kryptonite, it made sense, especially since that's already how it worked for Sam/Reign.

Quote:

A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.

SHE IS HIS ONE TRUE LOVE. In, like, every incarnation of Braniac 5. Even the one where he was lusting after Andromeda, because she was the closest thing to Supergirl around.

This is honestly the last forum where I thought I'd see shipwars being fought. :)


DeathQuaker wrote:


Sorry, I haven't seen the first two since I was a kid. Point was all of the movies seem to be referenced. Well, maybe not IV, but I think I've intentionally forgotten most of the events of that movie, and I'm not sure if we're supposed to count that one anyway.

4?

I have every Superman movie ever made, and there's no 4.

It goes Superman, Superman 2, Superman Returns, that Man Of Steel fan film, and then there's that Justice League thing where they use a clone... ;)

DeathQuaker wrote:
This is honestly the last forum where I thought I'd see shipwars being fought. :)

See, it's not a war, because I'm objectively correct. Brainiac 5 + Supergirl = Success.

Dark Archive

I'm pretty sure her most important romance in the comics was with Comet the Superhorse.


Shadow Kosh wrote:
I'm pretty sure her most important romance in the comics was with Comet the Superhorse.

That wasn't the real Kara, you heathen. ;)


Reckless wrote:
A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.

Yeah... that's like having trouble with our advanced AI... so why don't we draft Benjamin Franklin... he was a genius of his time right?? Should be the same thing right???

21st century genius is an idiot in the 31st. Nothing he brings to the table won't have been taught in grade school to ANYONE in that time period.

But regardless of THAT fact... How about this one. "You're inventions laid a foundation for the future.... Why don't we pluck you out of the timeline now and stop that from happening?" Which... is pretty much par for course with CW.

I can't believe that we actually found a WORSE time traveler than Rip Hunter!! And they pick the smartest smart guy in existence!?! Just... wow...


Ah so it wasn't just me that immediately thought that.


DeathQuaker wrote:
jemstone wrote:

I think you have those movie references backward a bit, Quaker.

Clark goes back in time to save Lois in Superman 1, and fights 3 evil Kryptonians in Superman 2.

Sorry, I haven't seen the first two since I was a kid. Point was all of the movies seem to be referenced. Well, maybe not IV, but I think I've intentionally forgotten most of the events of that movie, and I'm not sure if we're supposed to count that one anyway.

Thank god we didn't have to sit through Mon El singing "Can you read my mind?"

Quote:


And I'm not sure if it's a Black Kryptonite Split Kara, or a Time Displaced Kara, honestly.

I thought the latter originally, myself, but when people brought up Black Kryptonite, it made sense, especially since that's already how it worked for Sam/Reign.

Yeah... I'll even give you IV with Reign. The whole superior kryptonian thing isn't far off from nuclear Man clone... and I'm calling the black kryptonite split, whose very existance in smallville was a callback to the 'tar' Kryptonite from II.

You did however forget that the Supergirl movie also brought in an evil Witch for Supergirl to fight as the big bad... so yeah, every movie ever!!

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

phantom1592 wrote:
Reckless wrote:
A level 12 intellect with a level 2 intellect? That'll end well.

Yeah... that's like having trouble with our advanced AI... so why don't we draft Benjamin Franklin... he was a genius of his time right?? Should be the same thing right???

21st century genius is an idiot in the 31st. Nothing he brings to the table won't have been taught in grade school to ANYONE in that time period.

But regardless of THAT fact... How about this one. "You're inventions laid a foundation for the future.... Why don't we pluck you out of the timeline now and stop that from happening?" Which... is pretty much par for course with CW.

Honestly, their explanation made sense to me. Winn specifically came up with the specific core of the "engine," so to speak, that became the seed of how most of their technology worked. But he discarded the plans, and it didn't help anyone until they found his design. He has already invented it, so taking him away will not alter that timeline. And it even reinforces why they didn't rediscover his discovery until much later--because he wasn't around for awhile to develop it. No timeline shenanigans whatsoever.

He, not them, had the ingenuity to come up with that design to begin with--they just riffed off his idea. So they want to consult with him specifically as the founder of that tech. Moreover believe that his presence as a hero of the past will bolster morale. Makes complete sense to me.

(As an aside, personally I think our current time could use some insight from Ben Franklin--maybe not technologically (although seeing what he could imagine up with the resources we have would be fascinating), but philosophically and politically certainly. Besides, he was a bawdy dude who was fun to be around, so why not have him visit the future?)

Really, Winn leaving with the Legion was one of the least problematic results of this season, IMO. Although I admit I could also just be glad to see the back of him.


Look all I know is Winn has a better chance of defeating Brainiac than what we saw on Krypton. I mean their best plan was freaking DOOMSDAY.

Dark Archive

Ugh, Winn is gone and James is still around. It's like the writers specifically hate me.


Everyone on the show treated Winn's departure like it was necessarily a long term thing. When he's done saving AI's in the future, nothing prevents the Legion from returning him to a point in 2018 shortly after he left. Minutes, even. I wonder what, if any, excuse will be offered for not doing so.


Set wrote:
Ugh, Winn is gone and James is still around. It's like the writers specifically hate me.

Agreed. I was quite the fan of Winn in the first two seasons, I think he wasn't used very well once he joined DEO. I'll miss him, but he wasn't doing much as it was.

Jimmy on the other hand... I've hated him since his first appearance here. Trying to turn him into a Guardian with Supergirl around... just lampshades how useless he is.

Mon-El... I also hated him a LOT his first season... but since he came back with a full costume, some maturity, and a little dash of heroism... I actually am going to miss him a LOT.

Damon Griffin wrote:
Everyone on the show treated Winn's departure like it was necessarily a long term thing. When he's done saving AI's in the future, nothing prevents the Legion from returning him to a point in 2018 shortly after he left. Minutes, even. I wonder what, if any, excuse will be offered for not doing so.

LOL Yeah, I thought the same thing. Have a huge 'goodbye party' and the next scene he comes walking through the door with twice the muscle and full beard ready to regale them with his 6 months of adventures in the future.

Seriously... time travel people!! My only assumption is that they know they're sending him off to die in a world he has no business being in and reacting accordingly.


phantom1592 wrote:
Damon Griffin wrote:
Everyone on the show treated Winn's departure like it was necessarily a long term thing. When he's done saving AI's in the future, nothing prevents the Legion from returning him to a point in 2018 shortly after he left. Minutes, even. I wonder what, if any, excuse will be offered for not doing so.

LOL Yeah, I thought the same thing. Have a huge 'goodbye party' and the next scene he comes walking through the door with twice the muscle and full beard ready to regale them with his 6 months of adventures in the future.

Seriously... time travel people!! My only assumption is that they know they're sending him off to die in a world he has no business being in and reacting accordingly.

Well, Legion time travel has pretty much always involved time progressing the same on both ends - for reasons. Or at least the same comic book time.

I don't remember an in-world reason, but essentially so that crossovers would keep taking place in comics coming out at the same time.


Regardless of the actual mechanics involved, I'm pretty sure when Winn returns, it will be when a) Brainiac comes from the Future...or b) when he's done and he wants to come back home but still have felt like a year had gone by.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Okay, first episode of the new season I felt was fairly solid. They're not exactly running around in new territory or anything, but the characters felt like they were where they should be and it seems like regulars are reflecting growth from previous seasons, which for a CW show is above average performance.

Interesting to see Mercy Graves! I've always liked the various iterations of her in the cartoons and comics, and it's cool to see her operating independently. (And great to see her not be a throwaway death in a Zack Snyder film.) Not sure who the guy at the very end is supposed to be.

President Marsden, if you'd just deflected those bullets with the bracelets I know you should have...

I didn't even miss Winn or have it occur to me/remember he was gone until Brainy did his Winn impression. I really like Brainy being on the DEO team.

The one thing I am just kind of done with is the job stuff at CatCo. I don't know if by--what are we on, season four?--we need the real world tie in stuff. The DEO action is really good and where it's at and at this point I'd just rather see that as Kara's workplace. I don't need her mentoring a reporter (especially is, speaking as a former reporter, Kara was never a good reporter). They can have her show up at CatCo at times to grimace at Lena but otherwise it drags the show down at this point. (I LIKED the CatCo stuff the first two seasons and I liked Cat's mentorship of Kara, but we've moved on from that.)

I was also done with James season 1 and everytime he shows up on the screen it feels like time slows down. He's just so... vanilla. He has zero personality and I've never been able to connect to him.

I thought J'onn was kind of going to be gone so it was interesting to see how active he was in this episode--much to my delight. I really like him and I love the actor so I'm glad he's still got stories left to show.

The writers are still not remembering all the powers Kara has or how she should use them. When they boloed her feet, she should have frost-breathed or heatvisioned them (and she still should have been able to fly into them before they activated the gravity thing). Several of her reactions were slower than Alex's (e.g. Supergirl failed to catch the EMP, but Alex managed to contain a bomb that was about to go off in her hand), when she is supposed to have super speed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It bothers me (and my wife) that it doesn't seem to bother Supergirl, Alex, etc. in the least that a literal illegal alien was elected to the US Presidency under a false identity and in defiance of the Constitutional requirement that the President must be a natural born citizen of the US. (I think we may safely assume that she is at least 35 years old and has been in the US for at least 14 years, satisfying the other requirements.)

Superman could never be President for the same reasons, but at least he's open about his Kryptonian identity. By getting the Alien Amnesty Act passed, would "Olivia Marsden" effectively be pardoning herself for and crimes she may have committed in the process of becoming President? It's not something Presidents should be able to do, though I guess that's still being debated by legal scholars.

Yeah, the writers are really bad about Supergirl's use of powers. She and Barry Allen both suffer from writers not understanding that with super speed must come super reflexes and reaction time. 99% of the time both characters spend normal human reaction time (or worse) processing a Thing That Just Happened, then move fast after what should have been for them an interminable delay. (Somehow not fast enough to catch up to motorcycles racing through a forest, though.)

"Not sure who the guy at the very end is supposed to be."

What I remember from the end is Supergirl's "Red Daughter" doppleganger punching a tunnel through a mountain in Kasnia.

Oh, you mean

Spoiler:
Agent Liberty.
Looks like he'll have different motivations than he did in the comics.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

Removed posts and their replies.

Be aware of the tone you take when voicing your opinions. Disagreement is acceptable without disparaging the groups of people who you may disagree with.


Whenever posts get removed, I know it was something I didn't need to see. But I always wonder what it was (if only for a couple of minutes.)

Thanks for keeping the forums friendly, Sam.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I agree with you Damon on discomfort with President Marsden's illegal qualifications for President -- unless she was the daughter of extraterrestrials but born in the United States. Then she is in fact a natural born citizen!

But otherwise several members of the DEO should at least have had misgivings if not outright protested supporting a Constitutionally-ineligible Presidency, no matter the benefits of having the president be who she was. It would be interesting to see Alex and Kara have a disagreement over it (though maybe we'll see that in days to come).

The debate between J'onn and Kara was interesting. He was trying to protect his alien friends and for good reason (it was horrifying to watch that scientist be treated like a rhino among poachers; of course J'onn was freaked out, especially because he could probably get a psychic read off the doc when asking him what happened)--but I thought it was weird to have the shapeshifter accuse Kara of "passing." (The fact he otherwise sticks to impersonating in looks, if not anymore in name, another real person is actually a problem they sort of sweep under the carpet, much like the President's fraudulent claim to her position.)

I really appreciated Kara's expressing her POV of denial of the hate crimes against aliens as wanting to hold onto hope related to what had been accomplished so far. It was a good parallel I think to a lot of folks who have seen good improvements happen and want to hold onto those victories---but then allow those victories to serve as blinders of injustices still occurring (indeed, I know I've done that sometimes). In many situations, we have to both be able to acknowledge things that have changed for the better AND recognize improvements still need to be made--and that people can still be, and do get, hurt for many reasons.

Don't get me wrong, the writing can be clunky and anvilicious addressing various issues (as is common on many CW shows these days), but I appreciate their digging into how people can really want justice for people while also being blind injustices they claim to fight. That shows slightly more nuance than they're usually capable of.

I also appreciate that they are willing to make characters flawed and stubborn, including the main character--but also be able to grow and admit they're wrong (which this show does better than some of the other CW shows).

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

In other news about Supergirl, it seems Lex will be in season 4.

Sovereign Court

JoelF847 wrote:
In other news about Supergirl, it seems Lex will be in season 4.

Oooh, now that might be good. As long as the actor does a good Lex


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
I agree with you Damon on discomfort with President Marsden's illegal qualifications for President -- unless she was the daughter of extraterrestrials but born in the United States. Then she is in fact a natural born citizen!

True. So far no evidence of that, though. Perhaps it will be revealed as a consequence of her being outed as an alien. Though getting the job under an assumed identity is still problematic.

DeathQuaker wrote:
I thought it was weird to have the shapeshifter accuse Kara of "passing." (The fact he otherwise sticks to impersonating in looks, if not anymore in name, another real person is actually a problem they sort of sweep under the carpet, much like the President's fraudulent claim to her position.)

Well, Kara passes by doing nothing at all. He may subconsciously resent her a tiny bit for that. While J'onn doesn't need an image inducer, he does have to be other than himself in order to blend in.

DeathQuaker wrote:

I really appreciated Kara's expressing her POV of denial of the hate crimes against aliens as wanting to hold onto hope related to what had been accomplished so far. It was a good parallel I think to a lot of folks who have seen good improvements happen and want to hold onto those victories---but then allow those victories to serve as blinders of injustices still occurring (indeed, I know I've done that sometimes). In many situations, we have to both be able to acknowledge things that have changed for the better AND recognize improvements still need to be made--and that people can still be, and do get, hurt for many reasons.

Don't get me wrong, the writing can be clunky and anvilicious addressing various issues (as is common on many CW shows these days), but I appreciate their digging into how people can really want...

I appreciated the idea of the writers doing this, or trying to, but for some reason I can't quite articulate I didn't feel they (or perhaps Melissa?) pulled it off very well. Kara's denial struck me as being almost...willful? Kind of a mild case of "la-la-la, I can't hear you?"

But that's okay. I have issues with all the CW hero shows and I still watch them all. (Here's one: Oliver Queen is Buffy Summers. Over the course of several seasons, both mission burdened characters constantly vacillated between "It's too dangerous for you guys, I have to do this alone" and "I can't do this without you, we're a team." Really tiresome.)

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Fair points all.


Daman, I agree with all of your points except one. I disagree with J'onn having to do nothing. He had to shape change into a human instead of walking around as a green Martian.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

While I doubt that the writers have given too much thought to it, I could understand J'ohn resenting Kara's luck, if nothing else. Both are 'last' survivors of doomed worlds, but Kara has Kal, here on Earth, grew up with a loving human family (that she's still got around-ish, pretty close, in the case of her adoptive sister), and occasionally runs into other Kryptonians, including an entire city more or less run by her birth mother.

J'ohn has a similar 'last survivor of my race' backstory, but does not appear to have been taken in by any human family, doesn't have any living family on Earth or Mars, and when he *did* seem to have fellow Green Martian survivors, one turned out to be a White Martian fake-out, the other died soon after being discovered to have survived for hundreds of years in vastly worse conditions than the one's into which he was 'rescued.'

Kara (and Kal, for that matter), have it pretty good compared to the misery porn that sometimes seems to follow around other 'last survivors' like J'ohn (or Jan Arrah, of Trom, in the comics).

But from a meta-textual standpoint, I assume that J'ohn has been sidelined a bit so that the focus can more plausibly remain on Kara, the star of the show, and not on the guy who can do everything she can do, *and* is also a telepathic shapechanger that can walk through walls (and breaks plots almost as fast as they are written!). :)

I love me some Martian Manhunter (more than Supergirl, as a character, actually), but he's a terrible choice for a backup dancer, 'cause his powerset (and power levels) are totally 'lead singer' material.

I feel like the nature of the show requires Kara to be the 'big gun' on this show.

There *could* be a neat storyline to be told about Kara on a team with someone more powerful (or experienced, or beloved) than her, and her kind of having to deal with that, and be just a tad more humble and 'scene-sharing,' but I don't really think the WB is the venue to explore that sort of thing. This show, to me, feels like unapologetic power-fantasy, and I'm totally good with them sticking to their strong suits, writing-wise and not trying to get 'too clever.'


Saint Bernard wrote:
Daman, I agree with all of your points except one. I disagree with J'onn having to do nothing. He had to shape change into a human instead of walking around as a green Martian.

I think you might have misread me, Saint B. I said Kara has to do nothing, while J'onn has to be other than himself (that is, shapeshift) in order to pass.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I was the one who said it was weird for J'onn to be complaining, but Damon is right, he still can't be "himself" as it were--and it's been formally established that Kara only chooses to have her "human" life as a reporter because she wants to, not because she feels she has to hide (though of course she spent much of her life trying to fit in and not use her powers before the show began).

Set, I'd argue J'onn did have human allies from the get go, like Dad Danvers, but bad things happened to them at first, and of course he was spending time as Hank. I'd say Alex especially counts as "human family" for him. But yes, it is not the same, and you have a good point of his REALLY at this point being the last of his kind, whereas Kara and Kal keep getting happy surprises in the form of each other and in Argo City.


All I know is I'm REALLY dissappointed in humans but at least Lena proves she's better than Lex at times.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm disappointed in humans most of the time, though I like to believe we can be better.

On this show, I'm notably disappointed that Alex decides to only assign ONE operative to watching the cells, and that ONE operative is the one she knows is being problematic. Even if he wasn't why would you only assign ONE person to watch over someone capable of hacking LuthorCorp?

Lena was GREAT in this episode (I wish they actually had strung the gauntlet fight out a little longer), but if she hasn't figured out Kara is Supergirl by now, this show is reaaaaally suspending disbelief a bit much, given what a genius and social manipulator she is.

Chick who is playing Mercy is choosing a really weird delivery for her lines this episode. Really scenery chewy. It's like she's chosen to be in the old Helen Slater movie. Or maybe the director's making her do it, I don't know.

Gal who plays Nia is a really good actress, and I really liked her scene with Jimmy. This is the FIRST episode of Supergirl ever where I also liked Jimmy and felt like he had a personality and an admirable story arc. He seemed... IDK... more sincere and yet also more conflicted.

I hope we'll still see a little more of Olivia Marsden, and not just 'cuz I like seeing Lynda Carter on my screen. She's bulletproof, they could use her help! She can stop a bullet cold! Make the Axis fold! Change their minds and change the world!

I liked Brainy's subplot.


DeathQuaker wrote:
On this show, I'm notably disappointed that Alex decides to only assign ONE operative to watching the cells, and that ONE operative is the one she knows is being problematic. Even if he wasn't why would you only assign ONE person to watch over someone capable of hacking LuthorCorp?

Agreed. In a completely meaningless coincidence, I'm watching Babylon 5 again (it's currently rerunning on Comet TV) and tonight's episode has Security Chief Garibaldi being shot by one of his own men. Guess who's the one guard assigned to stand watch over the Chief while he's unconscious and recovering after a touch-and-go surgery in MedLab?

DeathQuaker wrote:
Lena was GREAT in this episode (I wish they actually had strung the gauntlet fight out a little longer), but if she hasn't figured out Kara is Supergirl by now, this show is reaaaaally suspending disbelief a bit much, given what a genius and social manipulator she is.

Lex never figured out Clark, either. (In Elliot S. Maggin's novel Miracle Monday, Maggin posited that Lex assumed that Superman would maintain any number of disguises rather than limit himself to a single civilian identity, so he never looked into it.)

DeathQuaker wrote:
Chick who is playing Mercy is choosing a really weird delivery for her lines this episode. Really scenery chewy. It's like she's chosen to be in the old Helen Slater movie. Or maybe the director's making her do it, I don't know.

Rhona Mitra. She's English, her parents a mix of English, Bengali and Irish and she struck me as a little bit "alien" in some of the things I've seen her in before: The Gates (to be fair, she was playing a vampire there), The Last Ship and The Strain. Then again, I've seen her in other things where I don't remember her standing out as "other."

DeathQuaker wrote:
Gal who plays Nia is a really good actress...

Nicole Maines. All the more impressive since this is only her second acting role, and the first one appears to have been a single episode of Royal Pains.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Damon Griffin wrote:
Lex never figured out Clark, either. (In Elliot S. Maggin's novel Miracle Monday, Maggin posited that Lex assumed that Superman would maintain any number of disguises rather than limit himself to a single civilian identity, so he never looked into it.)

My issue here is circumstantial to the events of the episode--Kara miraculously surviving/being close to various things, wanting to keep getting away, and then seconds after Kara does get away Supergirl shows up. Lena even comments on how it was highly unlikely even Supergirl could have gotten there on time given the lockdown (even with her considerable prowess, she'd have to do some work to get past the defenses), and Supergirl's response is basically, "yeah, please headwave."

Rhona Mitra I had heard of... ironically for *leaving* the Last Ship, because one of my favorite actresses, Bridget Regan, was going to come aboard as the new female lead on that show. (I have really tried to watch that show, if only to watch Regan kick ass, and sadly have not been able to stick with it. I'm either bored or can't deal with the writing--and I watch CW shows!) I had seen Mitra praised so I was expecting a good performance. And Mercy can be fun to watch, it's just the line delivery sometimes... she is drawing out certain lines like she's a villain on a cartoon. But maybe it was the direction for this episode because she didn't seem like that in the prior episode.

I looked up Nicole Maines after watching the episode and I hope she has a long career ahead of her. Her character could be very annoyingly sugary or very over-the-top-righteous and she is getting the balance just right.


DeathQuaker wrote:
My issue here is circumstantial to the events of the episode--Kara miraculously surviving/being close to various things, wanting to keep getting away, and then seconds after Kara does get away Supergirl shows up.

If it helps at all, you do know that sort of thing is how Black Lightning got unmasked on his own CW show last week.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Yes, but are we expecting Supergirl to have the same quality of writing as Black Lightning?


Rhona Mitra was pretty cool in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

But yeah it's been weird watching her do some of her dialogue delivery, especially in the cell.


DeathQuaker wrote:
Yes, but are we expecting Supergirl to have the same quality of writing as Black Lightning?

Hey, a viewer can dream! (After all, the new character's superhero name is Dreamer, right?)


I like Nia, but honestly the draw so far for me is just waiting for the other shoe to drop along with maybe the appearance of Brainiac.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Okay, I am finally, finally okay with Jimmy and Guardian. He is finally going in a direction and developing enough personality I want to see what happens.

Does the lady who is obviously a love child of Amanda Waller and Thunderbolt Ross (I don't care if I'm mixing companies) have to be soooo generically the Evil By the Book Military Commander? Booooooorring.

At least give us Spy Smasher or something.

(I'd rather have Amanda Waller, but I think she's not available to the CW TV shows anymore because of reasons related to the Suicide Squad movie that I do not understand.)

Plot background's a bit heavy handed but I'm liking other developments. Am especially liking Alex's character direction here. Plus that haircut makes her look hot. Kara used her powers intelligently sort of for once! They need that writer to stay on.


I think mostly the reason we don't get Amanda Waller is because she and her group is supposed to be EXTREMELY classified and unknown to most. Especially on an Earth that has Superman.

Kara's power usage hasn't been much of an issue here for me this season. Mostly because she's not been punching at or below her weight class thanks to Kryptonite poisoning and now Parasite sucking powers.

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,606 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Supergirl All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.