Supergirl


Television

651 to 700 of 1,666 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

An interesting premier.....

Spoiler:
Lots of DCU name dropping. That's nice. It helps flesh things out. And I loved the inclusion of Flash in the opening title sequence.

Still not crazy about Clark being so close in age to Kara, even with the explanation. However, I thought he pulled off being both Clark and Superman fairly well.

Also not crazy about Kara becoming a reporter. Between that, and the introduction of a female Luthor to eventually be the villain (I mean, come on, she's still a Luthor even if not by blood), they're just turning her into a female Clark, instead of making Kara her own person.

Good thing though, now that Jimmy is out of the way, Winn has his chance!

Looking forward to Metallo, and whatever future hijinks Cadmus can come up with.

Last thought, I'd read there was speculation whether Cat Grant would remain a character, because of shooting location changes. I wonder if that's what they were setting up with her? That she'll sell off to someone else and retire to a life of not on the show anymore.


Aber,

It is true that Calista_Flockhart might be dropping out due to the fact they've change venues. (Apparently she loves LA and Vancouver is a deal breaker for her I guess.) But there's no sure thing about her being totally gone forever. Just perhaps she might only become a guest star.

I TRULY thought Tyler Hoechlin did an excellent job. He balanced the need for a hopeful Superman/non-Zack Snyder Superman with a modern and nuanced take on the character. It felt like...watching a young Dean Cain take his first steps but in a more...adult oriented/less comedic way. There were lighthearted moments, but also some very grounded character moments to his Superman. He's not quite the seasoned vet that I feel some times come across in others, but he's certainly grounded into his life and heroics to be the Superman we want and need.

As for Kara...it's kind of up down thing. Up side? She's got a job. Downside? I don't think being a reporter is where I'd have her go. Scientist? Probably. Research assistant? Certainly. Reporter? Yeah that's more her cousin's field.

Also I feel like you're right that Lena Luthor is playing with us. I keep thinking (and STILL think) she and her brother cooked up this scheme as way to not only influence public opinion about her, but also MAYBE get one over on Superman and his cousin. HELL if I were a betting man, I'd say this is Lex's play at dividing the two most powerful beings in DC comics lore. (I mean for aliens...)

In any case! I'm glad to see this has turned from being a kind of meh start off to more of a "Okay this feels a little more Flash Oriented now."

Plus the fact I do think Cadmus will be exposed as a ploy/being financed by Lex some how.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'm not sold on Lena being a villain yet. Lena's been a Supergirl supporting character almost since her inception, and always as an ally of Kara's. I like that they reversed Lena's origin and had her be adopted INTO the Luthor family instead of adopted out of it. In the comics her parents disowned Lex when he turned to a life of crime, and moved away, changing their last name to Thorul, before getting killed in a car accident leaving Lena an orphan.

Scarab Sages

Cori Marie wrote:
I'm not sold on Lena being a villain yet. Lena's been a Supergirl supporting character almost since her inception, and always as an ally of Kara's. I like that they reversed Lena's origin and had her be adopted INTO the Luthor family instead of adopted out of it. In the comics her parents disowned Lex when he turned to a life of crime, and moved away, changing their last name to Thorul, before getting killed in a car accident leaving Lena an orphan.

That would be a nice change of pace.


Thomas Seitz wrote:


As for Kara...it's kind of up down thing. Up side? She's got a job. Downside? I don't think being a reporter is where I'd have her go. Scientist? Probably. Research assistant? Certainly. Reporter? Yeah that's more her cousin's field.

That's not really an option though...I mean Grant offered her the option of choosing a position, but it's still an entertainment magazine company. "Reporter" is probably the most proactive job she could pick.

Also I am confused by Win...Is he still working at Catco? or is he entirely working for the DEO?

Also I think (and hope) that Lena will be an ally or at worse a grudging rival. I think Cadmus is going to be the big bad this year.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I was hoping shed quit and go work pr for LCorp. I think it will be a friendly relationship bt Kara and Lena, but a marginally antagonistic ally bt supergirl and LCorp. Think less evil Maxwell Lord from last season and more forced ally Lord from last season.

Still reporter is kinda meh. Maybe she'll work on a joys of ice cream blog or some such within greater catco.


Lena to me as an ally doesn't play well since while Cadmus does appear to be the big bad, I don't think ALL the players involved are accounted for. Especially now with the notion (in my head) that Luthor is out there...some where (even in jail.)

I can see how it would work in the context of comics, but lately it feels a little more...forced. But again I could be wrong.

As for Winn, I think he either got fired or left CatCo for DEO. So now he'll be full time DEO analyst WHICH I actually like. It makes him less 'the boyfriend in the office" and more "the analyst whom is close to Kara" Plus he has that not so off putting Cisco vibe.

In any case I tend to admit to finding links were none exist. But who would thought Oliver Queen would be Ra's Al Ghul for like...all of 10 minutes?


Well, it looks to me like I won't be watching it this season. The CW website has always replayed its shows the next day if you miss an episode. Supergirl is not available unless you pay $1.99 to Youtube to watch it. And The CW pulled its shows from Hulu, so that's out. If they do this with the Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow it's going to be a dull winter. These and Star Wars: Rebels and Agents of SHIELD are the only shows I watch. I don't have cable because I can't afford it. Nor can I afford to buy a Roku. For some unknown reason even a digital antenna won't pick up anything in my house; not even the PBS station 5 blocks from me.

Crap.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry to hear that D-Cal.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

Well, it looks to me like I won't be watching it this season. The CW website has always replayed its shows the next day if you miss an episode. Supergirl is not available unless you pay $1.99 to Youtube to watch it. And The CW pulled its shows from Hulu, so that's out. If they do this with the Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow it's going to be a dull winter. These and Star Wars: Rebels and Agents of SHIELD are the only shows I watch. I don't have cable because I can't afford it. Nor can I afford to buy a Roku. For some unknown reason even a digital antenna won't pick up anything in my house; not even the PBS station 5 blocks from me.

Crap.

It played for me on the CW website late last night :-/

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Cori Marie wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

Well, it looks to me like I won't be watching it this season. The CW website has always replayed its shows the next day if you miss an episode. Supergirl is not available unless you pay $1.99 to Youtube to watch it. And The CW pulled its shows from Hulu, so that's out. If they do this with the Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow it's going to be a dull winter. These and Star Wars: Rebels and Agents of SHIELD are the only shows I watch. I don't have cable because I can't afford it. Nor can I afford to buy a Roku. For some unknown reason even a digital antenna won't pick up anything in my house; not even the PBS station 5 blocks from me.

Crap.

It played for me on the CW website late last night :-/

Supergirl Show Site


DungeonmasterCal wrote:
And The CW pulled its shows from Hulu, so that's out.

Did they really? I may need to cancel my Hulu subscription then.


Sun,

They might since Hulu might be in competition with CBS shows or something...


Cori Marie wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

Well, it looks to me like I won't be watching it this season. The CW website has always replayed its shows the next day if you miss an episode. Supergirl is not available unless you pay $1.99 to Youtube to watch it. And The CW pulled its shows from Hulu, so that's out. If they do this with the Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow it's going to be a dull winter. These and Star Wars: Rebels and Agents of SHIELD are the only shows I watch. I don't have cable because I can't afford it. Nor can I afford to buy a Roku. For some unknown reason even a digital antenna won't pick up anything in my house; not even the PBS station 5 blocks from me.

Crap.

It played for me on the CW website late last night :-/

Thanks, Cori. When I looked it wasn't there. But I'll look again later today.


I missed the new episode because the cable was out do the storm. If I have to pay to watch it then I might have better things to do.


You might have to download the CW app on the computer, but I believe you can still watch episodes for free


I watch for free On Demand.

I hope they don't make Lena Luthor a villain. It would be nice not to have every woman not part of Supergirl's inner circle be evil.


No need to download any apps or anything. If you've got a desktop you can watch for free at CW's website. That's where I catch all their shows now that they're off Hulu. On the plus side, it's only a one-day delay from broadcast date to when they're available there, rather than the week long delay on Hulu.

Prepare for ads though!


Hulu was always only a day off too. Blocking ads for those shows specifically was basically the only reason I had a Hulu subscription. =/


Yeah, I never paid for a Hulu subscription, so it was a week long delay for me as I recall. The spoilers I'd run into for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD as a result were quite disappointing =P


John,

You must be watching a different show than I am. Her sister, not evil, her boss, not evil, her mother, not evil. Admittedly her lack of female friends might be upsetting to some, but maybe she prefers it that way. Honestly? I think Lena Luthor as the primary antagonist would be an excellent thing, in my mind.


John was saying that every woman who is not in her inner circle (her sister, mom, boss), has turned out to be evil in some stripe. Not that every woman other than Kara is evil.


Dal,

Ah. I misunderstood. Still I don't see what's wrong with non-inner circle being evil. I mean I think there are few evil barristas out there.


Yeah, I agree. Not every barista needs to be an archvillain-in-waiting, but it is nice to see Kara pitted against ladies who are swinging at her level. Regardless, now that she's being brought into the DCTV verse and can bump into all the ladies on Arrow, Flash, and LoT, I think Supergirl's world can be a little more rounded like John is hoping too.


Thomas, anytime a female character is featured that is not in the inner circle turns out to be evil...just kinda strikes me as sexist and becomes boringly predictable . I mean female super villian should be part of show, but there should be the occasional female super hero also.

I mean even Lois Lane's sister was a antagonist for a little bit.


But not for a long stretch, John. I figured she'd stop 'hating' on Supergirl mostly because her sister trust Superman and the whole family thing matters.

I do get what you're saying...I just don't see in the case of Lena is all.

If there would be more female Super heroes, I'd rather see someone like Vixen maybe or hell Jesse Quick show up. Maybe even Wonder Girl/Cassie.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Umm...guys...for some reason I can now see the CW shows. But last night I guess the site wasn't loading correctly..or something. I got to see Supergirl and am watching The Flash right now. So thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Carry on.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Miley Cyrus sez Supergirl is a bad role model

Seemingly oblivious to the irony.

Sovereign Court

CBDunkerson wrote:

Miley Cyrus sez Supergirl is a bad role model

Seemingly oblivious to the irony.

That girl shouldn't really speak in public. She only embarrases herself.


John Kretzer wrote:

Thomas, anytime a female character is featured that is not in the inner circle turns out to be evil...just kinda strikes me as sexist and becomes boringly predictable . I mean female super villian should be part of show, but there should be the occasional female super hero also.

I mean even Lois Lane's sister was a antagonist for a little bit.

If I recall Lois Lane's sister is the murderous Superwoman, who's still a villain, and her father, General Lane, is a good deal worse.


John Kretzer wrote:

Thomas, anytime a female character is featured that is not in the inner circle turns out to be evil...just kinda strikes me as sexist and becomes boringly predictable . I mean female super villian should be part of show, but there should be the occasional female super hero also.

I mean even Lois Lane's sister was a antagonist for a little bit.

Honestly, there are enough female characters IN her inner circle, that she doesn't really NEED any other heroes. Especially in season one where they're trying to establish her as her own character and show. I really feel that was one of the flaws of Arrow was that he became a sidekick in his own Arrow-cave.

Flash was a fun crossover... but I really think Supergirl should be able to handle most of her problems on her own... with maybe just a LITTLE help from J'onn once in a while.

So yeah, I hope nearly every new character they introduce will become a villain in some way or form... they need a solid rotation of villains that A) aren't kryptonian and B) don't eventually join the team.


Firstly Miley is entitled to her opinion, but I disagree with it venomously. Just not brutally to spamming the hell out of her. That's just...unnecessary.

Secondly, Drah, Lois Lane's sister isn't Superwoman in Nu52. She's not even been introduced that I recall. Lana Lang and NuLois were.

Thirdly, I like phantom's point that her circle should be more about her than who she hangs out with.

Also agree that a hero is only as good as the villains he/she inspires.
The Dark Knight movie proved that.


Thomas Seitz wrote:

But not for a long stretch, John. I figured she'd stop 'hating' on Supergirl mostly because her sister trust Superman and the whole family thing matters.

I do get what you're saying...I just don't see in the case of Lena is all.

If there would be more female Super heroes, I'd rather see someone like Vixen maybe or hell Jesse Quick show up. Maybe even Wonder Girl/Cassie.

I got your point...but it is getting boringly predictable.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooh, one of my pet peeves in this episode. Someone buys a weapon from someone, and then kills them with it. How do these arms dealers survive their first transaction, if it never occurs to them that the people they are dealing with are generally not nice people who will honor a deal, and shouldn't be given a golden opportunity to not pay for the merchandise? Yeesh. Just once I want to see an arms dealer with a brain.

"Yeah, here's a drone what shoots people."
"Where's the targeting system?"
"Button on the right."
<Click, ZAP!>
"But if you target *me* with the drone that *I* programmed, the chair you're in electrocutes you. Which is why you're dead..."

Scarab Sages

Well, this just makes no f*%!ing sense whatsoever....

Despite Flashpoint, Supergirl will stay in a separate reality from the Arrow-verse


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Probably because Superman being active for the last what...10 years? is a bit too much of a change.

After all, where was Superman when:

Slade took over a city

Damien Dark tried to nuke the world

Zoom tried to merge universes

I'd prefer Supergirl getting merged with the CW-verse more directly, but the Supers are pretty damn powerful. Maybe with Flashpoint however a young Superman could start being active in the CWverse.


MMCJawa wrote:

Probably because Superman being active for the last what...10 years? is a bit too much of a change.

After all, where was Superman when:

Slade took over a city

Damien Dark tried to nuke the world

Zoom tried to merge universes

I'd prefer Supergirl getting merged with the CW-verse more directly, but the Supers are pretty damn powerful. Maybe with Flashpoint however a young Superman could start being active in the CWverse.

Or Power Girl shows up in the CWverse^^


Aberzombie wrote:

Well, this just makes no f+~&ing sense whatsoever....

Despite Flashpoint, Supergirl will stay in a separate reality from the Arrow-verse

I think it's a bad idea, since they're supposed to do crossovers with the Dominators on all 4 series.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I hope they eventually merge them all together. Especially since I was so dang impressed with Tyler Hoechlin's portrayal of Clark.

Bringing him on as a cross-series regular for all the CW shows is a pie-in-the-sky dream, but man do I think that'd be phenomenal.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

Well, this just makes no f+~&ing sense whatsoever....

Despite Flashpoint, Supergirl will stay in a separate reality from the Arrow-verse

I think it's a bad idea, since they're supposed to do crossovers with the Dominators on all 4 series.

Olie "We're getting our asses kicked by these dominators. We need help!"

Barry "I got this." Runs off.
Rip: "Where did he go?"
*Dominator ship explodes* Kara J'onn and Kal-El land.
Barry runs back "I got help."

Easy peasy.


Matthew,

You've never seen the fights with Superman and the Dominators have you huh? I mean it's not THAT easy but yeah it would be easier than having Team Arrow fight them.

As for the merger, I think that's probably going to come when Flash does Crisis the first time. Right now we've not had that. Down the line? Probably.

As for Arrowverse Kryptonians, I think it's safe to say few if any alien life exists in Arrowverse. Which is also probably why there's not a preponderance of more powers thanks to less Alien influence.

Plus you know once you add Superman, people start asking "Where's Batman?!" and/or "Where Wonder Woman?!"


Aberzombie wrote:

Well, this just makes no f&*+ing sense whatsoever....

Despite Flashpoint, Supergirl will stay in a separate reality from the Arrow-verse

To be fair... Barry runs back in time and stops his mom from getting killed.... Means that there is now a superman and Supergirl and entire new city full of supporting cast doesn't make any sense either...

They need something bigger then Flashpoint in order to make the merge.


MMCJawa wrote:

Probably because Superman being active for the last what...10 years? is a bit too much of a change.

After all, where was Superman when:

Slade took over a city

Damien Dark tried to nuke the world

Zoom tried to merge universes

I'd prefer Supergirl getting merged with the CW-verse more directly, but the Supers are pretty damn powerful. Maybe with Flashpoint however a young Superman could start being active in the CWverse.

He was dealing with Lex at the time.

One of the things that tends to strain believability for me is this idea that Superman would be around for Everything... He's a busy guy. Bad things happen quick.

When have we ever seen a news report that would have given Superman the time to fix the problems he does? I've never seen a news footage of Plane crashing or a Space shuttle about to explode.

I've seen planes that are being searched for because they missed their check in call or dropped off the radar... I've seen shuttles explode... But I've never the advance notice that superman seems to get ALL the time.

Most of the Arrowverse threats have been pretty contained. Slade was hardly a Super-threat. Zoom's plan was only known about by a handful of people. Darkes' plan was pretty epic, but who's to say Superman WASN'T dealing with a missle while Arrow was dealing with Dark?

Comics have been based for decades on the idea of 'this is a problem only "I" can deal with.... despite there being a Superman or Thor running around who can solve all the crime ever....'


Well, Superman can hear planes crashing halfway around the world and fly there in seconds, so it's possible. Or pick out a single scream in the city and rescue them.

Only when it's dramatically appropriate, of course. Never to show up to help other heroes deal with a problem.

Astro City did something interesting with that in one of the earliest issues - Samaritan counting the seconds of enjoyable flight he can fit in between disasters and missions.

Scarab Sages

phantom1592 wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

Well, this just makes no f&*+ing sense whatsoever....

Despite Flashpoint, Supergirl will stay in a separate reality from the Arrow-verse

To be fair... Barry runs back in time and stops his mom from getting killed.... Means that there is now a superman and Supergirl and entire new city full of supporting cast doesn't make any sense either...

They need something bigger then Flashpoint in order to make the merge.

True. However, that's something which is most likely beyond the budget of CW shows, even all of them combined. This would have been the easy way to do it.


lowfyr01 wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:

Probably because Superman being active for the last what...10 years? is a bit too much of a change.

After all, where was Superman when:

Slade took over a city

Damien Dark tried to nuke the world

Zoom tried to merge universes

I'd prefer Supergirl getting merged with the CW-verse more directly, but the Supers are pretty damn powerful. Maybe with Flashpoint however a young Superman could start being active in the CWverse.

Or Power Girl shows up in the CWverse^^

That's who I THOUGHT was going to be in the latest Kryptonian capsule to land on Earth.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Drah,

No we got the Daxamite instead.

Also if Superman had been around in Arrowverse, I'd say he could have disabled MOST of those missiles. Or at least stopped more than 50% of them.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I will say I did like all the 70's Superman movie references. Miss Tessmacher, Lex causing an Earthquake...

I almost felt like they were saying "This is the happy cheerful universe. Zack Snyder was never born on this earth."

Pet Peeve is that M'gann's actress is as old as me. I like M'gann being younger. Kara's age or younger.


Wait? They introduced Miss Martian and the TV show didn't show it?!!

Also I liked that too but it would have made me squee to hear John William's score as Clark changed.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

I really do think trying to explain Superman is the issue. When Superman is in your universe it also ups the level of a cross over event. It's the challenge every Justice League writer runs into face first.

It has to be beyond the scope of "This looks like a job for Superman"

651 to 700 of 1,666 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Supergirl All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.