Supergirl


Television

551 to 600 of 1,666 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Cat and JJJ are like House and Blackadder - fun to watch on TV and you enjoy their interactions with other people but they are horrible people you would detest in real life.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Thomas Seitz wrote:

I'm in favor of more Powergirl that's for sure.

Also I don't think they'll bring in Tom. I think he's enjoying retirement. ;)

He actually said he'd be willing to do it if they approached him. That was about 4 months ago.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
Cat and JJJ are like House and Blackadder - fun to watch on TV and you enjoy their interactions with other people but they are horrible people you would detest in real life.

Like everybody on Seinfeld.


Kara appeared on several smallville episodes, so I don't think those shows can exist in the same universe (and honestly I was never a huge fan of that actor's version of superman, so would prefer someone else).

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Look no further

Sovereign Court

Mark Thomas 66 wrote:
Look no further

Yeah he'd be a good Supes.


Hell yeah! I love Matt Boomer. His work on White Collar was awesome.

Scarab Sages

He's got the look, and he's about the correct age. I don't recall what his build is like, but that kind of thing can be taken care of with a good workout program.

Sovereign Court

Aberzombie wrote:
He's got the look, and he's about the correct age. I don't recall what his build is like, but that kind of thing can be taken care of with a good workout program.

He seems to be OK


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aberzombie wrote:
I saw this news a little while ago. It'll be interesting to see who they get. I doubt it would be Henry Cavill. Maybe Tom Welling.

Hasn't Welling basically said he doesn't ever want to put on the costume?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Norman Osborne wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
I saw this news a little while ago. It'll be interesting to see who they get. I doubt it would be Henry Cavill. Maybe Tom Welling.
Hasn't Welling basically said he doesn't ever want to put on the costume?

He wouldn't neccessarily have to... if they showed him as Clark Kent.

As to discrepancies between Smallville and Supergirl (e.g. different Kara's, Green Arrow existing in one verse but not the other, etc)... it would have to be a different Superman. Either an 'alternate Earth' kind of deal or just the same actor playing a completely different version of the character with no explanation provided.

Of course... then they'd need to do a scene with Benoist, Welling, Routh, and Vandervoort... just to make things really complicated. :]

Scarab Sages

Hama wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
He's got the look, and he's about the correct age. I don't recall what his build is like, but that kind of thing can be taken care of with a good workout program.
He seems to be OK

Meh. He looks a little scrawny in that pic for Superman. Wouldn't take much to bulk him up a bit, though.

Scarab Sages

Norman Osborne wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
I saw this news a little while ago. It'll be interesting to see who they get. I doubt it would be Henry Cavill. Maybe Tom Welling.
Hasn't Welling basically said he doesn't ever want to put on the costume?

F@+!ed if I know. Probably. If they offer him enough money, it might convince him to do it once or twice.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A-Zombie,

I think he can bulk up fine. Superman doesn't need to have like SUPER Hulk muscles.

Scarab Sages

Thomas Seitz wrote:

A-Zombie,

I think he can bulk up fine. Superman doesn't need to have like SUPER Hulk muscles.

Correct. My other concern with him would be height. Bomer comes in on IMDB as 5'1-1/2". He would stack up against Supergirl (Benoist is 5'8") just fine, but would look short against James (Brooks is about 6'4"). Might not come off well on screen.

Of course, that's just a bit of nitpicking on my part. The right actor doesn't necessarily need height or muscle to be able to stand out and appear heroic.


That and why does Superman need to be big and muscular anyway? All his power comes from solar energy and telekinesis.

Realistically speaking as strong as he is he should look pitifully frail...very few things in the universe are powerful enough to be considered even a light workout for him, so his muscles should be getting relatively little work.

Scarab Sages

Sundakan wrote:
That and why does Superman need to be big and muscular anyway?

The long established look of the character. Not doing that is like not giving Vader the Pervert-crank-caller breathing. Like giving the Joker a frown. Like showing Wonder Woman fully clothed with boobies that aren't the size of watermelons.

That way lies madness.....


Also they can always give Matt Boomer lifts in his boots.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Aberzombie wrote:
Like showing Wonder Woman fully clothed with boobies that aren't the size of watermelons.

Well....

Scarab Sages

Thomas Seitz wrote:
Also they can always give Matt Boomer lifts in his boots.

True. Or they could go medieval on him and use the rack to stretch him a few extra inches.


Nah. I think I'd prefer they do the less painful and probably safer option. Plus using the rack sometimes mean you end up with two halves of Matt Boomer. Not sure that's a good idea.

Scarab Sages

Bah! A true (Super)man scoffs at pain!!!


Tell that to the one that imploded...


Aberzombie wrote:
Sundakan wrote:
That and why does Superman need to be big and muscular anyway?

The long established look of the character. Not doing that is like not giving Vader the Pervert-crank-caller breathing. Like giving the Joker a frown. Like showing Wonder Woman fully clothed with boobies that aren't the size of watermelons.

That way lies madness.....

The long established look is debatable. I am personally NOT a fan of the HUGE superman. I prefer the one that can actually put on a suit and appear scrawny and weak.

Superman has two personas, and there are some artist (like Ed Mcguiness) that bulk up superman to ridiculous proportions.

For me, Superman has always been closer to the Christopher Reeve version. Cut. Muscular. Still able to pull off the clark kent persona.


This is for two episodes. I think it's safe to assume an actor isn't (and isn't expected to) bulk up for a year for two episodes. This isn't a movie with several years of preproduction.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
phantom1592 wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Sundakan wrote:
That and why does Superman need to be big and muscular anyway?

The long established look of the character. Not doing that is like not giving Vader the Pervert-crank-caller breathing. Like giving the Joker a frown. Like showing Wonder Woman fully clothed with boobies that aren't the size of watermelons.

That way lies madness.....

The long established look is debatable. I am personally NOT a fan of the HUGE superman. I prefer the one that can actually put on a suit and appear scrawny and weak.

Superman has two personas, and there are some artist (like Ed Mcguiness) that bulk up superman to ridiculous proportions.

For me, Superman has always been closer to the Christopher Reeve version. Cut. Muscular. Still able to pull off the clark kent persona.

True. And there certainly can be a "too bulky" Superman. Still, while I always did like Christopher Reeve, I kind of wish he had been a little more muscular. I'd argue it's not necessarily about being scrawny and weak, but appearing non-threatening and clumsy - something even a very muscular person can accomplish.

Height, on the other hand, I think is very important. One reason Reeve pulled off the part so well was his imposing height as Superman (standing straight to his full 6'4") but then slouching over when he was Clark.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

yep. I'm a fan of that middle ground. muscular in the spandex, but non threatening in a business suit.

I hate when Clark is depicted as this huge dude who legitimately couldn't hide that he's superman. If there was a guy in a bar looking to cause trouble and hit the biggest guy around... That Clark would be the first one singled out.

I like Clark to NOT be the one that everyone in the office asks to help move because he looks like he could lift the couch on his own. Or picked first for the company softball league because his arms look like tree trunks.

Also, as mentioned... Superman's strength isn't 'muscle' based. So I'm usually fine with him being the 'ideal' man. Like Divinci's paintings. That middle ground with 'perfectly in shape' but not WWE contestant.

I loved Bomer in White Collar. That show was amazing.. but yeah, height is a little trickier to fake. COULD be done as we've seen in the Hobbit/LotR movies... but probably not worth the trouble.

I don't think they need to cast a big name... something like this could be done with an open casting call.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Thomas 66 wrote:
Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
Cat and JJJ are like House and Blackadder - fun to watch on TV and you enjoy their interactions with other people but they are horrible people you would detest in real life.
Like everybody on Seinfeld.

Except that Blackadder, House, Cat and JJJ are fun to watch. Seinfeld was anything but.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My favorite depictions of Superman are the ones that make him look like a barrel chested farmer from Kansas. Alex Ross, in particular, does an excellent job of bringing that to page in my opinion while Reeves embodied that look tremendously on screen.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now I want to find and read Kingdom Come.


Aberzombie wrote:
Now I want to find and read Kingdom Come.

It was a good series I thought. Not sure about some of the sequels it spawned.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

If you can get your hands on the audio recording of it, it's magnificent.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There's an audio recording?! Really!? I didn't not know that. Thanks Mark!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Here you go

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Now I want to find and read Kingdom Come.
It was a good series I thought. Not sure about some of the sequels it spawned.

And, even better, all my copies are signed by Mark Waid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cool. I'm very happy for you A-zombie.

Mark, Thanks again!

Scarab Sages

I lucked out big time. He was signing stuff at the comic book store I had frequented since being a young lad, and almost no one realized it. I got a crap ton of stuff signed, including a bunch of the Flash issues he did.

Liberty's Edge

Well, for the Superman casting, considering that they're doing away with Supergirl being on another Earth (I guess she's currently Earth-4) and Barry just kicked off Flashpoint, maybe they're going to look to cast someone scrawny.


Kren,

There's nothing to suggest Supergirl WON'T be on another Earth. Also no indication what Barry did is Flashpoint material.


Well, they pretty much indicated it was Flashpoint material when A) Saving the mother was entire plotpoint of Flashpoint... and B) They've talked repeatedly about dangers of changing the past. and C)That last scene with Iris where Barry KNEW everything would be different...

That said, there is no guarantee that they will combine the earths in any reasonable way. I HOPE they do... but I can't help but think that might be too much of a shakeup for each of the shows.


Exactly, Phantom.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Kren,

There's nothing to suggest Supergirl WON'T be on another Earth.

Other then that Berlanti and company aren't drooling idiots? Or that the CW talked about four way crossovers during their upfronts? Or that Jay Garrick is going to be on LoT? Or that Berlanti teased that Wentworth Miller's new contract let's him show up as a regular on any of the four shows?


Krensky wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Kren,

There's nothing to suggest Supergirl WON'T be on another Earth.

Other then that Berlanti and company aren't drooling idiots? Or that the CW talked about four way crossovers during their upfronts?

Nothing about 4 way crossovers insist that she lives on the same earth anymore then she lived on the same earth with the Flash Crossover...

Again, I REALLY want that to happen... but I'm trying to manage expectations. I'm curious HOW they would do it... If they'd bring Superman, Martian Manhunter, All the other Kryptonians... All of National City over?

On a second point.. I would really REALLY love if this 'always' happened and was just another blip on the timeline. After all.. Rip DID reference Batman and Superman in Legends of tomorrow... So either they were destined to be part of the timeline... or he's been bouncing to other earths too...

Might explain the Justice Society with Jay established on Earth 3....

Liberty's Edge

Remember that part of the point of Flashpoint was to combine DC, Vertigo, and Wildstorm.

I'm sure they're going to mix it up, but everything indicates that when Barry broke and decided to commit suicide to save his Mom, he's breaking the world.

Remember, Miller's contact let's him be a regular on all of the shows. There's very, very little reason to do something that expensive without actually using it, so that suggests something way more complicated then someone just heading into a rift to visit Supergirl.

Oh, and Katie Cassidy is apparently returning, so reseting stuff over in Arrow land may be in the offing to.

Scarab Sages

If they do Flashpoint, hopefully they won't keep it up all season. That'd be one definite way to get me to stop watching.

Liberty's Edge

The show runners and and execs said that they'd be doing fourway crossovers sooner rather than later.

I assuming a flashpoint like think (just like season one teased a crisis thing with the red skies and all that) if they do flashpoint it'll be one or two weeks and will likely diverge in places.

Remember that Flashpoint Paradox did everything other then Booster gold and the space war part in and hour and a half and change, so four to eight hours should be plenty.


Krensky,

Still not convinced this will be a Flashpoint event. Maybe for Arrow and Flash, but not the other shows.

Also WTF?!!! They kill BC and then bring her back?!! Damn you!!!

Liberty's Edge

They already brought her back on Flash.


Kren,

Yes but that was a different version. If they're bringing back the REAL version I'll be VERY upset.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

No one stays dead, except for Deadman.

551 to 600 of 1,666 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Supergirl All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.