Elven Magus, weapon finesse, and....


Rules Questions

1 to 50 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

By the rules the feat Weapon finesse doesn't enable the use dex for very much.

a Scimitar is not on that list...

a elven curve blade is a Two hander...

In pathfinder, mithril doesn't change a weapon's "Hand-weight" (light-one handed- two handed)

So, uh, what effective weapons are there that can be used with weapon finesse - aside from those the feat lists?

Personally, I would like to see Elves using mithril longswords with weapon finesse. How do I propose an Idea to Pathfinder society officials?

Grand Lodge

Dip one level of Swashbuckler or Daring Champion Cavalier.

Take the feat Slashing Grace.

You can now finesse a longsword and use your Dex modifier on damage rolls in addition.


If you're a saranite you can take the dervish dance fear, or dip dawnflower dervish bard for dex to damage with a scimitar.

Grand Lodge

WAIT! "Slashing grace" is from a third party product, how is that PFS legal?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
chad hale 637 wrote:

By the rules the feat Weapon finesse doesn't enable the use dex for very much.

a Scimitar is not on that list...

a elven curve blade is a Two hander...

In pathfinder, mithril doesn't change a weapon's "Hand-weight" (light-one handed- two handed)

So, uh, what effective weapons are there that can be used with weapon finesse - aside from those the feat lists?

Personally, I would like to see Elves using mithril longswords with weapon finesse. How do I propose an Idea to Pathfinder society officials?

The Elven Curve blade is a specific exception, in that it CAN be finessed, despite it's size and weight. It unfortunately remains an unsuitable weapon for a magus.

Silver Crusade Contributor

It is now a feat from the Advanced Class Guide. :)

Sczarni

Elven kensai can take the aldori sword (I did)

Liberty's Edge

chad hale 637 wrote:
WAIT! "Slashing grace" is from a third party product, how is that PFS legal?

Slashing Grace is from Advanced Class Guide. Not a 3PP, unless there is a 3PP version out there.


Rapier is also a good option, along with the Fencing Grace feat from Advanced Class Origins.

Grand Lodge

Partially out of context, is there any good way to create magus who wields a two-handed weapon?

Grand Lodge

The Elven Curved Blade works just fine with Spellstrike; it just doesn't work with Spell Combat.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Streamwalker wrote:
Partially out of context, is there any good way to create magus who wields a two-handed weapon?

Yes, in three easy steps:

Step 1: Build magus.
Step 2: Equip him with a 2H weapon.
Step 3: Don't select arcanas that require Spell Combat.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you want to use your Dex to hit and damage with a Magus you can:

1) Use a Scimitar with Dervish Dance but you can't qualify for that until 3rd Level unless you take a one level dip into Dawnflower Dervish.

2) Use a Dueling Sword or Whip with Slashing Grace but you can't qualify for that until 5th Level unless you are a Kensai.

3) Use a Rapier with Fencing Grace but you can't qualify for that until 5th Level unless you take a one level dip into Inspired Blade.

4) Use any One-Handed Slashing Weapon with Slashing Grace by taking a one level dip into Swashbuckler.

5) Use any Finessable weapon with the Agile enchantment but you won't have the Fame to acquire that until you are nearly 6th level at a minimum.

6) Use unarmed strike or a natural weapon with an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists, but you won't have the Fame to acquire that until you are at least 4th level.

If you don't care about Dex to damage, then a Whip can be cool for delivering Touch spells at a distance, though still requires you to wait until you are at least 3rd level to use it.

Grand Lodge

Slashing Grace From the ACG states one handed weapon so you dont get to select Elven Curved Blade

Although 3 lavels of unchained rogue could sort that but it will give 3 levels behind on caster checks for a magus So not worth the price

Unchained barbarian rogue might well work though

Grand Lodge

A Human Kensai can get Slashing Grace with a whip or dueling sword at first level. They are one of the few characters who can.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dex to damage should really not be a priority with a magus. For a magus the weapon is just a way to deliver and more frequently crit multiply his spell damage while augmenting it with weapon damage.

Grand Lodge

EvilTwinSkippy wrote:
A Human Kensai can get Slashing Grace with a whip or dueling sword at first level. They are one of the few characters who can.

Caught me in the middle of editing my post.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Staff magus with staff mastery is the best way to go for a two-handed magus actually. This feat was especially created for this archetype....

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hayato Ken wrote:

Staff magus with staff mastery is the best way to go for a two-handed magus actually. This feat was especially created for this archetype....

The above poster neglects to fact that the reason that it works is because the Staff Magus gets a free bonus feat that turns the quarterstaff into a ONE-handed weapon. And before you ask, that feat is staff-specific.


Streamwalker wrote:
Partially out of context, is there any good way to create magus who wields a two-handed weapon?

Good as in buildable? Sure. Slap an estoc on him and spam Spellstrike.

Good as in as effective? Not really, compared to a baseline Magus. You're okay at best.

For your standard Dex Magus:

Rapier and Scimitar are your go-to weapons. Fencing Grace or Dervish Dance. If you're a Kensai you use either one, if you're any other Magus you use Dervish Dance, if you're dipping Inspired Blade you use Fencing Grace.

Whip is usable for builds that care more about control than damage. It's very viable, but a bit slower to get rolling due to the extra needed feats. Practically demands Kensai though.

Aldori Dueling Sword is a trap compared to the rapier/scimitar. If you really like it for flavor reasons, fine, but mechanically it is worse. That said, the Dueling Sword is basically a finessable longsword, so there's that.

If you're dropping the gold on an Effortless Lace (which is not PFS legal, mind), the katana, falcata, and bastard sword are additional options, in that order of viability.

Grand Lodge

Telessar Talimah wrote:
Elven kensai can take the aldori sword (I did)

What is the source for the Aldori Sword?

Title and the page number that shows it.
My Pathfinder Society D.M.s will not let me "Have" something unless I can physically show The referenced material to them.

So, I don't get to fudge. I have to use the rules as they are - not how I want them to be.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
chad hale 637 wrote:
Telessar Talimah wrote:
Elven kensai can take the aldori sword (I did)

What is the source for the Aldori Sword?

Title and the page number that shows it.
My Pathfinder Society D.M.s will not let me "Have" something unless I can physically show The referenced material to them.

So, I don't get to fudge. I have to use the rules as they are - not how I want them to be.

Which is proper PFS procedure as laid out in the Guide to Organized Play.

So you'll find the Aldori Dueling Sword on pages 290-291 of the Inner Sea World Guide.

Scarab Sages

The Estoc is like a finesseable bastard sword in mechanics. It allows you to two hand it as a martial weapon or one hand it if you've got the exotic proficiency. With the exotic proficiencies, I think it's probably the best finesse weapon out there for a magus. One-handed when you're using spell combat, two-handed when you aren't.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What about Weapon Finesse, Slashing Grace: Bastard Sword, and a Sun Blade?


B. A. Robards-Debardot wrote:
The Estoc is like a finesseable bastard sword in mechanics. It allows you to two hand it as a martial weapon or one hand it if you've got the exotic proficiency. With the exotic proficiencies, I think it's probably the best finesse weapon out there for a magus. One-handed when you're using spell combat, two-handed when you aren't.

It's the best weapon for a Strength-based Magus, but actually a rather terrible one for a Dex-based Magus. And the reason it's best for a Strength Magus has more to do with that P in the damage type than anything about two-handing.


kestral287 wrote:
B. A. Robards-Debardot wrote:
The Estoc is like a finesseable bastard sword in mechanics. It allows you to two hand it as a martial weapon or one hand it if you've got the exotic proficiency. With the exotic proficiencies, I think it's probably the best finesse weapon out there for a magus. One-handed when you're using spell combat, two-handed when you aren't.
It's the best weapon for a Strength-based Magus, but actually a rather terrible one for a Dex-based Magus. And the reason it's best for a Strength Magus has more to do with that P in the damage type than anything about two-handing.

Care to explain why Piercing damage is best for a Magus specifically?

Actually, wait, let me guess, it's for qualifying for Precise Strike, isn't it?

Answered my own question halfway through asking it, lol.

That said, why is it a bad weapon for a DEX magus? You're getting Weapon Finesse anyway, and it still has that highly valued 18-20/x2 crit range. Plus, it deals 2d4 weapon damage. I can't see any real faults to this weapon for either the DEX or STR side.

I suppose maybe the EWP feat tax for non-Kensai...?


Piercing for Precise Strike, yes. Magi (and Swashbucklers/Daring Champions) have this weird inverse thing where they're more flexible in terms of weapon choice by going for a Dexterity-based build, because you can use Slashing Grace, and between that and Effortless Lace you can open up pretty much whatever one-handed weapon you're likely to want.

For the estoc though? There's no way to get Dex-to-Damage with it through a feat. So, if you had the choice of dealing 2D4+Str or 1D6+Dex, and your Dex stat is a 16 while your Str stat is a 10... pretty clear choice, right? One does 2-8 damage, average 5, the other does 4-9 damage, average 6.5.

Now, this is solvable with the Agile property. But then you're spending a resource that scales upward (gold is always valuable, and Agile makes all the rest of your +X enchantments cost more) instead of one that scales downward (a single feat becomes generally less valuable since you get more and more of them, especially on a class without massive feat requirements like the Magus).


Oh yeah, the issue with piercing weapons not getting Dex to Damage. Had almost forgot about that.

Scarab Sages

It less painful for the magus (who hasn't chosen an archetype that trades away the basic arcane pool ability) to shell out for the Agile Enchantment than pretty much any other class.


Durngrun Stonebreaker wrote:
What about Weapon Finesse, Slashing Grace: Bastard Sword, and a Sun Blade?

Feasible but i think is rather costly getting one

Liberty's Edge

Jiggy wrote:
Streamwalker wrote:
Partially out of context, is there any good way to create magus who wields a two-handed weapon?

Yes, in three easy steps:

Step 1: Build magus.
Step 2: Equip him with a 2H weapon.
Step 3: Don't select arcanas that require Spell Combat.

You want to use spell combat to cast and make a full attack at the same time.

So you either spend a feat and use a bastard word with two hands when you aren't casting or, even simpler, you grip your weapon in 2 hands when you aren't casting.
It you wield a one handed weapon with two hands you get the same benefits as someone using a two handed weapon when applying your strength or using power attack.
Using a smaller damage dice isn't so relevant.


Diego Rossi wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
Streamwalker wrote:
Partially out of context, is there any good way to create magus who wields a two-handed weapon?

Yes, in three easy steps:

Step 1: Build magus.
Step 2: Equip him with a 2H weapon.
Step 3: Don't select arcanas that require Spell Combat.

You want to use spell combat to cast and make a full attack at the same time.

So you either spend a feat and use a bastard word with two hands when you aren't casting or, even simpler, you grip your weapon in 2 hands when you aren't casting.
It you wield a one handed weapon with two hands you get the same benefits as someone using a two handed weapon when applying your strength or using power attack.
Using a smaller damage dice isn't so relevant.

i think str magi is quite well of with a reach weapon like a bardiche and figthing for AoOs at the lower levels. But later on theyloose out to Spell combat and precise strike.


B. A. Robards-Debardot wrote:
It less painful for the magus (who hasn't chosen an archetype that trades away the basic arcane pool ability) to shell out for the Agile Enchantment than pretty much any other class.

Read as: still more painful than shelling out a single feat.

Your core Magus skeleton requires:

-Magical Lineage (trait)
-Intensify Spell (by level 5-7)
-Precise Strike (available at level 6, or level 3 if you use Extra Arcana)
-Dex-to-damage

Set it up without Dex to Damage and you have your level one feat open, your level 5 standard feat open, and if you want your level 3 feat open (though I suggest Extra Arcana here for those that can afford it). One of the things that makes the Magus great at Dex to Damage is how small their required setup is otherwise. So a feat is a very, very small cost to them. Agile frankly... is not. For a couple reasons.

The thing is, your baseline Magus is as accurate as a TWF Core Rogue. Remember how much those get made fun of? They patch that accuracy up, first and foremost, with their Arcane Pool.

So realistically? Until they have a natively +5 (including enchantments) weapon (+4 if they intend on picking up Bane Blade, of course), they'd actually like to gain +s at the same rate of every other class. Not doing that means hurting accuracy, keeping them at TWF Rogue levels-- if you're spending half as much money on your weapon as the guy next to you, banking on the arcane pool to cover the gaps, then you're spending as much as the TWF guy, after all.

That's a bad place to be. It leaves you heavily reliant on Arcane Accuracy to patch up your to-hit, which will drain your points rapidly. But not doing that means that, at least in the first half of the game, you're behind on your accuracy.

So, for the first half of the game, Agile is no cheaper for a Magus than anyone else.

In the back half? They run into another, unrelated problem. There are a lot of really good enchantments that the Magus can't put on with the Arcane Pool. Spell Storing is the ur-example. Heartseeker is another one: since Precise Strike is precision damage and thus negated by concealment, a Magus would really like to not have to deal with concealment*. That cuts into the room for Agile significantly in the late game, where a Magus really can bump up against that +10 ceiling.

This doesn't mean Agile is unusable. But it does make it significantly harder to justify using, when "switch to a scimitar and take a feat" eases their burdens significantly. Keep in mind the difference between the Agile Estoc and the Scimitar backed by Dervish Dance: 2-8 damage average 5 and 1-6 damage average 3.5. That's a tiny difference when the costs are so much higher for taking Agile than for taking Dervish Dance.

*Admittedly, I'm a bit shaky on the official ruling for this one, but it makes sense in my mind. Negate the miss chance, you should still be able to deal the precision damage.

Liberty's Edge

I am currently playing a two-handed weapon Strength Magus in a low-level campaign.
With a simple 'enlarge person' selfcast he rocks the battleground.
Add 'Shield' and his Protective familiar to the party and he'll stroll around with a decent AC.
Being an Aasimar and having Combat Reflexes to make use of the size and Hammer's reach nets you way more offensive strength then you could get through spamming an empowered Shocking Grasp.

I loved the Magus' concept of spellstrike+SpellCombat until I realized you'll almost always have to fight defensively if you wanna use SpellCombat. In total, that's -6 to his accuracy and requires a concentration check which is easy lategame but a true gamble early on.


Why would you have to fight defensively to use Spell Combat?

I've never even considered that, let alone done it.

At low levels you abuse the 5' dance to get your spells off if your Concentration numbers aren't pretty. Simple as that.

... Heck, Spell Combating as often as possible, last time I ran a Magus at those levels I don't think I made a Concentration check through all of first level and most of second.

Liberty's Edge

I accidentally mixed up Fighting Defensively and Defensive casting and thought they were different sides of the same coin.
Upon closer inspection I've learned they are two separate and different things that share nothing but a similarity to their names.

Perhaps he'll pick up a schimitar after all.


TorresGlitch wrote:

I accidentally mixed up Fighting Defensively and Defensive casting and thought they were different sides of the same coin.

Upon closer inspection I've learned they are two separate and different things that share nothing but a similarity to their names.

Ayup. And the 5' dance obviates the need for that.

What I did at the lowest levels:

Declare Spell Combat when the enemy is directly in front of me. Deliver attack. 5' step back, out of his reach. I'm no longer threatened so I can cast without making the Cast Defensively check.

Next round, he either moves up or doesn't. If he does, I repeat. If not, I declare Spell Combat, cast my spell, then 5' step forward and attack.

Going forward your Concentration checks will be outpaced by your Concentration bonus, so it becomes less and less of an issue. I pretty much stopped by level 4.


With Slashing Grace, things get very silly. Try a Dwarven Magus finessing a Double Waraxe, or a Tengu with a Katana, or a Half-Orc with a Whip. Or try something really silly, like a Terbutje, Sibat or Urumi.

Or go Kensai, and pick any of them.

Liberty's Edge

The problem of the 5ft dance is that it sometimes doesn't allow you to benefit from AoOs caused by trips and specific abilities, and it is not always that beneficial against large or larger creatures.

But SpellCombat can be powerful if the enemies ever gets passed the reach.
Aside from weapon cord is there a way to easily and cheaply draw a weapon as a swift or free action?

A small list:
Items:
Weapon Cord
Spells:
Call Weapon
Feats:
Quick draw


TorresGlitch wrote:
The problem of the 5ft dance is that it sometimes doesn't allow you to benefit from AoOs caused by trips and specific abilities, and it is not always that beneficial against large or larger creatures.

Aye, which is part of why I largely stopped using it (and partly it was just laziness, honestly)-- but at levels one and two, those aren't exactly common things to run into. You can actually bring it back against things with reach later on by taking Lunge, should you really feel the urge.

TorresGlitch wrote:

But SpellCombat can be powerful if the enemies ever gets passed the reach.

Aside from weapon cord is there a way to easily and cheaply draw a weapon as a swift or free action? (feats are too precious)

Quick Draw. A Magus usually has feat room by the midgame.

Liberty's Edge

kestral287 wrote:

Heartseeker is another one: since Precise Strike is precision damage and thus negated by concealment, a Magus would really like to not have to deal with concealment*.

...
*Admittedly, I'm a bit shaky on the official ruling for this one, but it makes sense in my mind. Negate the miss chance, you should still be able to deal the precision damage.
PRD wrote:


Heartseeker

Price +1 bonus; Aura moderate necromancy; CL 7th; Weight —

This special ability can only be placed on melee weapons. A heartseeker weapon is drawn unerringly toward beating hearts. A heartseeker weapon ignores the miss chance for concealment against most living targets, though the attack must still target the proper square. This special ability does not apply against aberrations, oozes, plants, outsiders with the elemental subtype, or any creature specifically noted to lack a heart.

PRD wrote:
Precise Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, while she has at least 1 panache point, a swashbuckler gains the ability to strike precisely with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon (though not natural weapon attacks), adding her swashbuckler level to the damage dealt. To use this deed, a swashbuckler cannot attack with a weapon in her other hand or use a shield other than a buckler. She can even use this ability with thrown light or one-handed piercing melee weapons, so long as the target is within 30 feet of her. Any creature that is immune to sneak attacks is immune to the additional damage granted by precise strike, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits also protects a creature from the additional damage of a precise strike. This additional damage is precision damage, and isn't multiplied on a critical hit.
DAQ wrote:

Concealment and Precision Damage: Does concealment (the 20% kind, not total concealment) negate all kinds of precision damage? There is some confusion from the multiple places where precision damage appears.

Yes, in general concealment does negate all kinds of precision damage, unless you have a special ability that particularly says otherwise like the Shadow Strike feat or the Unchained rogue’s sneak attack.

The FAQ don't speak of miss chance, it speak of concealment. Heartseeker don't remove concealment. I doubt it will allow you to sue precision damage.

To give a reason for that: to deal precision damage you need to aim to a weak spot, so you need to see or perceive it. With Heartseeker instead it is the weapon that guide your hand where the weapon want to strike.
Sneak attack specify that "The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot." and I think that applies to all precision damage.


thunderbeard wrote:

With Slashing Grace, things get very silly. Try a Dwarven Magus finessing a Double Waraxe, or a Tengu with a Katana, or a Half-Orc with a Whip. Or try something really silly, like a Terbutje, Sibat or Urumi.

Or go Kensai, and pick any of them.

You need a swash dip to do most of this stuff. Exept the whip that is.


Cap. Darling wrote:
thunderbeard wrote:

With Slashing Grace, things get very silly. Try a Dwarven Magus finessing a Double Waraxe, or a Tengu with a Katana, or a Half-Orc with a Whip. Or try something really silly, like a Terbutje, Sibat or Urumi.

Or go Kensai, and pick any of them.

You need a swash dip to do most of this stuff. Exept the whip that is.

Or Effortless Lace~

Which doesn't work in PFS. Ah well.


if you want to wield an Elven Curve Blade in one hand you could always take a 2 level dip into Titan mauler


EvilTwinSkippy wrote:
The Elven Curved Blade works just fine with Spellstrike; it just doesn't work with Spell Combat.

the elven curve blade is a bastard... i mean, in pf doesnt say nothing about, but the weapon was maded for elves in eberron and was treated like bastardsword, so, your gm could do the math and allow that thing

Silver Crusade Contributor

Juda de Kerioth wrote:
EvilTwinSkippy wrote:
The Elven Curved Blade works just fine with Spellstrike; it just doesn't work with Spell Combat.
the elven curve blade is a bastard... i mean, in pf doesnt say nothing about, but the weapon was maded for elves in eberron and was treated like bastardsword, so, your gm could do the math and allow that thing

I'm not sure which weapon you're talking about, and I can't find any reference to it in the Eberron Campaign Setting. I thought Eberron's elves used the Valenar double scimitar.

The elven curve blade in Pathfinder is 95% identical to the elven courtblade from 3.5's Races of the Wild, though. I liked that name better. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Two handed magi can still be fun and effective. Part of the trick is to use multi-touch spells instead of single-touch ones. This allows for more spellstrikes without using spell combat.

At low levels, this allows more mobility. Since you won't have multiple attacks until level 8, you'll only ever be using standard attack actions, so you've got your moves available.

MAGUS 3 WITH GREATSWORD
Round 1 - FIGHT!
Free Action: shift grip on sword to single hand (not wielding, just holding)
Standard Action: cast Frostbite
Free Action: shift grip to wielding sword in both hands
Move Action: move up to first victim
Free Action: Deliver one touch of the spell via spellstrike with greatsword.

Round 2 - FIGHT!
Standard Action: Attack (delivering touch 2 via spellstrike, felling foe)
Move Action: Move to flank of the battlefield.

Round 3 - FIGHT!
Full-Round Action: Charge at next enemy (delivering 3rd and final frostbite touch via spellstrike).


CraziFuzzy wrote:

Two handed magi can still be fun and effective. Part of the trick is to use multi-touch spells instead of single-touch ones. This allows for more spellstrikes without using spell combat.

At low levels, this allows more mobility. Since you won't have multiple attacks until level 8, you'll only ever be using standard attack actions, so you've got your moves available.

MAGUS 3 WITH GREATSWORD
Round 1 - FIGHT!
Free Action: shift grip on sword to single hand (not wielding, just holding)
Standard Action: cast Frostbite
Free Action: shift grip to wielding sword in both hands
Move Action: move up to first victim
Free Action: Deliver one touch of the spell via spellstrike with greatsword.

Round 2 - FIGHT!
Standard Action: Attack (delivering touch 2 via spellstrike, felling foe)
Move Action: Move to flank of the battlefield.

Round 3 - FIGHT!
Full-Round Action: Charge at next enemy (delivering 3rd and final frostbite touch via spellstrike).

i suggest this just with a reach weapon for low level str magi.


Cap. Darling wrote:
CraziFuzzy wrote:

Two handed magi can still be fun and effective. Part of the trick is to use multi-touch spells instead of single-touch ones. This allows for more spellstrikes without using spell combat.

At low levels, this allows more mobility. Since you won't have multiple attacks until level 8, you'll only ever be using standard attack actions, so you've got your moves available.

MAGUS 3 WITH GREATSWORD
Round 1 - FIGHT!
Free Action: shift grip on sword to single hand (not wielding, just holding)
Standard Action: cast Frostbite
Free Action: shift grip to wielding sword in both hands
Move Action: move up to first victim
Free Action: Deliver one touch of the spell via spellstrike with greatsword.

Round 2 - FIGHT!
Standard Action: Attack (delivering touch 2 via spellstrike, felling foe)
Move Action: Move to flank of the battlefield.

Round 3 - FIGHT!
Full-Round Action: Charge at next enemy (delivering 3rd and final frostbite touch via spellstrike).

i suggest this just with a reach weapon for low level str magi.

spell combat specifically calls for a one handed or light weapon, so that dosn't work.

also, since with spell combat is techically two weapon fighting, I wouldn't allow the spell hand to be used for the GreatSword, and I would be surprised if other GMs would.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Diminuendo wrote:
Cap. Darling wrote:
CraziFuzzy wrote:

Two handed magi can still be fun and effective. Part of the trick is to use multi-touch spells instead of single-touch ones. This allows for more spellstrikes without using spell combat.

At low levels, this allows more mobility. Since you won't have multiple attacks until level 8, you'll only ever be using standard attack actions, so you've got your moves available.

MAGUS 3 WITH GREATSWORD
Round 1 - FIGHT!
Free Action: shift grip on sword to single hand (not wielding, just holding)
Standard Action: cast Frostbite
Free Action: shift grip to wielding sword in both hands
Move Action: move up to first victim
Free Action: Deliver one touch of the spell via spellstrike with greatsword.

Round 2 - FIGHT!
Standard Action: Attack (delivering touch 2 via spellstrike, felling foe)
Move Action: Move to flank of the battlefield.

Round 3 - FIGHT!
Full-Round Action: Charge at next enemy (delivering 3rd and final frostbite touch via spellstrike).

i suggest this just with a reach weapon for low level str magi.

spell combat specifically calls for a one handed or light weapon, so that dosn't work.

also, since with spell combat is techically two weapon fighting, I wouldn't allow the spell hand to be used for the GreatSword, and I would be surprised if other GMs would.

There is a difference between spell combat and spell strike. The post you quoted doesn't mention spell combat.

1 to 50 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Elven Magus, weapon finesse, and.... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.