A problem with wishes.


Advice


Hello all! First let me start off with the fact that I am in a homebrew campaign and we are trying out mythic. So my character is 8 levels of sorcerer and 2 of paladin. We are now traveling in space chasing after a big bad guy who could destroy our relm. Well as we entered space the God's of this relm stopped us and had us draw ftom the deck of many things. I drew 2 cards (never scared) and drew the sun card,which moved me to level 8 sorc,and the item I got from that was a ring of 3 wishes with all 3 left on it! Next card I drew was the moon card granting me with 2 more wishes! Only problem is I have no idea what to wish for and the 2 from the moon card have to be used when we next play. Any advice on how to use them?

Dark Archive

what about to traping the bad guy and a space ship or something


That was my first thought, but my DM told me for story reasons I was not allowed to mess with the bad guys getting away. :(

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So a lot of this depends on how your GM runs wishes. I suggest asking him. You need to know if he's going to screw you over or not - some GMs will cackle gleefully and mess with you over the most banal, normal uses of wish, whereas some will be more reasonable as long as you're not trying to derail the whole campaign.

The safest thing to do is probably to wish for inherent ability bonuses - you've got five wishes, so that could be a +5 Cha right there which helps both your sorcerer and paladin stuff.


Yeah the +5 to Cha does seem like the safest way to go about this. I know my DM would rip my wish apart looking for loopholes.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I myself never trust using wishes unless the DM you have is honorable. A dishonorable one will corrupt it so your wish either becomes a detriment, or becomes another plot hook that makes more trouble than what it was worth. I've found the best use was as earlier stated, for inherent bonuses, or some ability not normally part of your race. Examples might be, wings, gills, true sight, things of that nature. The interesting part being that due to the nature of the wish making it a part of the character and not a magical bonus, it means all offspring you have will also have said ability. Technically, you could make an entire race based on that premise and still be human with all the bonuses humans get.


Saving a few for resurrections might be a good idea, stats is another. Do you melee? Maybe you could get away with a holy avenger, though I doubt.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Seems like that game is all over the place. "I'm a god, so I'm going to have you draw from this artifact deck because...reasons" ...and it has nothing to do with your current quest.

As a player, that would strike me as a rather severe disruption to the ongoing storyline for literally no discernible reason at all.


No I don't do melee I just use spells, mainly scorching ray. There are reasons as to why the God's pulled us aside, but it would take way to long to explain. I could give a short version if you really wanted. And the bonuses that other races give is a rather cool idea I may have to play around with that a bit to see what would work.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Getting Inherent bonuses is very nice, but if you want to reach above your level a little bit, you could make some very nice spells Permanent. Arcane Sight and See Invisible are both helpful.

For a little bit of cheese, you could get a Permanent Symbol of Insanity/Laughter/Slowing applied to the inner surface of a buckler or amulet and set it to activate upon being read. Make sure to designate your party as being on the 'nice list' then you're good to go. Abuse it too frequently and your GM will find a way to destroy it, but if you use it sparingly, it conjures images of Lovecraftian power, seemingly appropriate for your campaign.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

Seems like that game is all over the place. "I'm a god, so I'm going to have you draw from this artifact deck because...reasons" ...and it has nothing to do with your current quest.

As a player, that would strike me as a rather severe disruption to the ongoing storyline for literally no discernible reason at all.

If a GM is going to put enforced draws of a Deck of Many Things in the way of his PCs, he really doesn't have a storyline he's that concerned about.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

When a mystical source of unknown morality and power (aka, the DM) grants you the boon of a wish, you should do the only sensible thing and wish for a single copper piece, preferably tarnished.


BigDTBone wrote:
When a mystical source of unknown morality and power (aka, the DM) grants you the boon of a wish, you should do the only sensible thing and wish for a single copper piece, preferably tarnished.

and that copper piece is cursed and immediately no save kills anyone who touches it


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Koshimo wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
When a mystical source of unknown morality and power (aka, the DM) grants you the boon of a wish, you should do the only sensible thing and wish for a single copper piece, preferably tarnished.
and that copper piece is cursed and immediately no save kills anyone who touches it

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!


BigDTBone wrote:
Koshimo wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
When a mystical source of unknown morality and power (aka, the DM) grants you the boon of a wish, you should do the only sensible thing and wish for a single copper piece, preferably tarnished.
and that copper piece is cursed and immediately no save kills anyone who touches it
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

with my group we just found a bottle with a Djinn in it granting everyone in the party 3 wishes.

the person who wished for a sandwich and 2 milkshakes is the one who died from the wishes because he became addicted to them

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

-Inherent bonuses are honestly one of the most effective ways to do wishes.
-If you want to get corny: "I wish that I made the best wish possible!"
-If you want to be a dick, for example, you know that you are going to be facing a Lich BBEG : "I wish that he didn't have immunity to Sleep." and your witch can use Slumber on the Lich to put him to sleep.

Saving up the ring of wishes for spells that you need on the go, is frankly not a bad idea or emergency, I mean after all being able to do one casting and heal everybody in your party is a lifesaver or even bring back somebody to life. "This is the tomb of Sir Phil the Holy Knight who stopped the raid of the Lich King..." "going to use a wish to bring him back to life! so we can fight the lich king together!"

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Its a sad development of the player meta that no one trusts wishes anymore.

Either they turn into Brian Van Hoose contract lawyers, or they (like me) run for the bloody hills when wishes, decks of many things, or the like make their appearance.

My wish strategies are in general predicated on the 'jerkass genie' archetype and include such things as

'My wish is that the wishes made by my companions in the ten minutes before me, are counted as never occurring.'

And the oldie but goodie of

'I wish that you will not grant this wish.' (I love this one)

My suggestion. Don't make wishes. If you think you're DM is the type, make a single wish that basically indicates that 'I wish that no wishes will be made without dedicated intentional forethought regarding the invocation of the wishes power.' to avoid nonsense like you saying 'I wish' as a figure of speech and having it come true.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just use the safe table. I recommend a simulacrum of the BBEG. Do it. Or if you wanted even more wishes a Solar/Efreet.


LazarX wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

Seems like that game is all over the place. "I'm a god, so I'm going to have you draw from this artifact deck because...reasons" ...and it has nothing to do with your current quest.

As a player, that would strike me as a rather severe disruption to the ongoing storyline for literally no discernible reason at all.

If a GM is going to put enforced draws of a Deck of Many Things in the way of his PCs, he really doesn't have a storyline he's that concerned about.

FTFY.

Check with your GM that he is playing wish as written and stuff like inherent bonuses aren't subject to corruption.

If they aren't, go with that.

If they are, save your wishes for a rainy day, when you are out of good ideas and only have really bad ones.

I would stay away from permanency. I suspect your GM would start sticking in creatures with dispel SLAs to nuke your permanencied spells. He can't do **** about inherent bonuses barring blatant GM fiat BS.

The Exchange

Aladdin: 'Provisos'? You mean limitations? On wishes? (snicker)

(Quiet, you!)

I'd save that ring, and ideally only use it when it's crystal clear what you need. As for the Moon wishes, let's go with:

"I wish to always know [name of villain]'s destination - its appearance, relative position to my current location, and, where applicable, name." (Congratulations, you no longer have to chase the villain - you can just ambush him, over and over.)

Or possibly

"I wish for [name of least effective party warrior]'s weapon to acquire the bane quality for [creature type of villain] whenever it's within 100 feet of [name of villain]."

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / A problem with wishes. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.