>>Drink Tea with *thegreenteagamer* Here!<< (You can ask questions if you want, too.)


Off-Topic Discussions

201 to 250 of 1,140 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:

...

I actually wasn't talking only about retail. It was sort of inspired by the disturbing amount of traffic before 6am that I saw. I couldn't believe how many people had jobs that made them get up at such an ungodly hour.

...

It is amazing how much traffic will be moving 24/7 through any city of even moderate size.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

...

I actually wasn't talking only about retail. It was sort of inspired by the disturbing amount of traffic before 6am that I saw. I couldn't believe how many people had jobs that made them get up at such an ungodly hour.

...

It is amazing how much traffic will be moving 24/7 through any city of even moderate size.

Jacksonville is a pretty populated region. It's hard to remember sometimes because it's so spread out. It's the largest area landmass of any city in America, IIRC. That's actually one of the things I am not fond of here. It shouldn't take an hour to drive from one side of town to another.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Jacksonville is a city I try my damnedest never to pass through if I can humanly prevent it.

Every time I go there it takes me an hour to drive like 5 miles and then I somehow end up lost in the ghetto.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:
Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

...

I actually wasn't talking only about retail. It was sort of inspired by the disturbing amount of traffic before 6am that I saw. I couldn't believe how many people had jobs that made them get up at such an ungodly hour.

...

It is amazing how much traffic will be moving 24/7 through any city of even moderate size.
Jacksonville is a pretty populated region. It's hard to remember sometimes because it's so spread out. It's the largest area landmass of any city in America, IIRC. That's actually one of the things I am not fond of here. It shouldn't take an hour to drive from one side of town to another.

At least part of the reason for that is Jacksonville "cheated". They incorporated the entire county they were located in into the city. So the county effectively "disappeared" leaving only a large city there.


Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:
Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

...

I actually wasn't talking only about retail. It was sort of inspired by the disturbing amount of traffic before 6am that I saw. I couldn't believe how many people had jobs that made them get up at such an ungodly hour.

...

It is amazing how much traffic will be moving 24/7 through any city of even moderate size.
Jacksonville is a pretty populated region. It's hard to remember sometimes because it's so spread out. It's the largest area landmass of any city in America, IIRC. That's actually one of the things I am not fond of here. It shouldn't take an hour to drive from one side of town to another.
At least part of the reason for that is Jacksonville "cheated". They incorporated the entire county they were located in into the city. So the county effectively "disappeared" leaving only a large city there.

So did Miami (several times). It's worse than Jacksonville. Also (certain parts of) Orlando, to my driving experience.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:

Other Things That Start With T:

Terrible
Titanic (hope you like drowning)
Toad (hope you like warts)
Tadpole (hope you like looking forward to having warts)
Toilet (hope you like your drunk roommate getting confused and using the wrong pot)
Turbo (dumb movie)
Turtle (hope you like things falling on your head from the sky)
Terrorist (hope you like supporting the reds)
Table (as in, let's table this discussion and put a moratorium on tea-drinking)

You're not very good at this.

Triumphant
True
Treasured
Tent (to enjoy nature, but still be protected)
Toilet (man, these are so much better than not having them)
Turbo (fun dumb movie)
Turtle (NINJA!)
Tubular (man)
Table (as in, let's table top RPG, the perfect place for tea-drinking)

And, of course, Tacticslion. >:)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Don't forget Testicles, I wouldn't be the man I am today without a nice hardy set of testicles:-D

Your mileage may vary :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

T for teamwork!


Tacticslion wrote:
Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:
Ceaser Slaad wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

...

I actually wasn't talking only about retail. It was sort of inspired by the disturbing amount of traffic before 6am that I saw. I couldn't believe how many people had jobs that made them get up at such an ungodly hour.

...

It is amazing how much traffic will be moving 24/7 through any city of even moderate size.
Jacksonville is a pretty populated region. It's hard to remember sometimes because it's so spread out. It's the largest area landmass of any city in America, IIRC. That's actually one of the things I am not fond of here. It shouldn't take an hour to drive from one side of town to another.
At least part of the reason for that is Jacksonville "cheated". They incorporated the entire county they were located in into the city. So the county effectively "disappeared" leaving only a large city there.
So did Miami (several times). It's worse than Jacksonville. Also (certain parts of) Orlando, to my driving experience.

Not...quite. There are many small independent cities in the Miami-Dade region and Ft. Lauderdale area that aren't part of metro Miami. If you look it up, Jacksonville actually beats the snot out of Miami both in population and especially area. However, Miami is way more crowded with a higher per square foot capita.

So, yeah, the driving sucks there, but I'll take Miami back over Jax any day, because...

Miami, like all of central and south Florida, doesn't have the dreaded southern culture that Tallahassee and Jacksonville have.

I grew up most of my life never watching people be super friendly to someone's face and then start trashing them the minute they walked away - you knew immediately where you stood with someone. Not the case here. Someone might hate you, but they grin real big when you show up, ask how you are, compliment your shirt...and then rip you apart to everyone else as soon as you go to the restroom or whatever.

Also new to me since coming to Jacksonville is seeing the rampant, ridiculous, out-in-the-open racism all over here.

Do you have any idea how many people just assume I, like them, am also a racist? I'm mega crazy damn-near-albino burn-in-the-sun-after-two-minutes white, and apparently that's code in the south for "I want to oppress minorities." It's been I don't even know their last name and they're telling me how they hate black people and dropping N bombs left and right out of nowhere. I'm not exaggerating - happens minimum once a month since moving here. When I grew up in South Florida that either wasn't nearly as common, or it just hidden better. I do have to say that the automatic assumption that because I share the same relative skin tone of someone that I too must be some ignorant clan member pile of filth like they are is not fun when it happens. It's not everyone, but it's at least 10× as frequent as in south FL.

I kind of want to walk around with my wedding photos on a t-shirt whenever I'm around strangers just to prevent that.

My wife is very much the opposite of myself, and not just in alignment on the L/C axis.

So in light of that, yeah, not a fan of southern culture. In DC nobody grumbled at us walking around holding hands and smiling, but they sure did in Jekyl Island and Brunswick, GA. In Miami I had neighborhoods where I grew up next door to people of all races, and in school, mi amigo primo es de Colombia, but here? Ugh. Just ugh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Cuban community was well entrenched in Palm Beach County, with some of the wealthier ones living in Palm Beach. Got along great with one of them who was on the debate squad with me in high school. He did well in debate, and when he won various awards he never complained about the presenter horribly mispronouncing his name.

He never really talked about his family though. So it wasn't until quite some time later that I figured out he was the son of Batista's right hand man. No wonder the family residence in Palm Beach could have doubled as a fort and they had a weapons collection that was awe inspiring.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

nummmy....must have Cuban sandwich...pickles, pork, yes please! And of course wash it down with iced black tea with lemon, and no gorram sugar!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Don't forget Testicles, I wouldn't be the man I am today without a nice hardy set of testicles:-D

Your mileage may vary :-)

I suspect that this is one of the questions to which I don't want to know the answer, but how does one calculate the mileage on one's testicles?

Spoiler:

Count the wrinkles?

Drinking sage tea (infusion). Had some Assam this morning.

I AM SO ON TOPIC.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
SweetTeaGamer wrote:

And, of course, Tacticslion. >:)

Counterpoint: Tacticslion.

>;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:

I AM SO ON TOPIC.

Topic? Oh yeah we have one of those!

Peppermint!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just finished off a blended Yunnan tea. Man I want another cup.


Non-alias for the srsnz.

thegreenteagamer wrote:
Southern Culture

See... that is so daggum weird.

In my "Southern Culture" you're polite, not to talk about people behind their back, but because you're polite.

Hypocrisy is one of the worst things, regardless of culture.

As far as racism goes: meh? I mean, it was in Miami that I first heard someone cursing another person out over their skin tone*, and in Brevard (where I went to Highschool - closer to the Orlando/Jacksonville sphere than Miami) I never heard bad words against any folk of any color (except for the very pasty-pale guy who put swastikas everywhere because "it's a sign for peace in the old religions!" ... >.> yeah, I'm sure).

I ran into far worse racism in Maine, Tennessee (though that's "south"), Philadelphia, and New York than I ever did in Georgia, the Carolinas, or Florida.

As for Jacksonville itself? I dunno, maybe? That's sad if it's that bad. But I'd totally wear the shirt if I were you. That'd be rad!

(Also, it'd be an awesome way to recognize you if we ever met in real life!)

* Or ever heard of anyone getting actually assaulted, as in physically punched just for being homosexual. It was so bizarre and outside of my field of experience that I couldn't believe it at first - I seriously thought that there had to be some other reason, because, "Why would anyone do that?" as, clearly, that's just... not normal. To me.


Kobold Cleaver wrote:
SweetTeaGamer wrote:

And, of course, Tacticslion. >:)

Counterpoint: Tacticslion.

>;)

Fair 'nough.

Further evidence of greatness:

Tangents
Topics
Triforce!
Tribbles
Two
Three
Triune Godhead
Thrill
Thespian
Tractor (and ~ "beams", so: Star Wars!)
Toes
Trachea
Tinsel (though, in fairness, as a counterpoint: tinsel)
Tin (so versatile!)
Thread (what you're in now! Run awaaaayyy~!)

Positive for me, but YMMV: tuna!
(To go with the Velveeta Mac-n-Cheese! Mmm!)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

T.h.c. starts with a T


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@TL - I know the reasoning behind Southern politeness, but I also am painfully aware of the reality behind the actions. If it helps, I prefer the south to my experience in Texas. I would sooner spend a month working without pay than vacationing in Texas. I have family there, and one cousin keeps saying I need to visit, and I flat out told him if he doesn't leave that state I will go to my grave without looking him in the eye again, because if I'm in Texas I've been kidnapped or otherwise dragged against my will. I actually enjoyed some parts of the south. Blue Ridge Georgia was awesome, for example...although they really don't have anything for herbivores to eat. We found one restaurant that made a veggie burger and ate there like four times, and it had more butter per square inch than it had veggies.

Thegreenrangergamer wrote:
T.h.c. starts with a T

I'm not that kind of a green gamer anymore, but there was a time...oh boy was there a time.

I don't condemn (darn you autocorrect! Condemn, not condone) others doing that at all, especially in a world where far worse things for your body, like alcohol and tobacco, are commonplace. For me, though, it made me complacent with laziness and inaction, and also pretty stupid. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I think complacency to the extreme it affected me was quite negative. I just didn't give a crap that I wasn't going anywhere with my life, and that's not a good thing.


I'm afraid I haven't followed the last train of the conversation, or which side that is. Buuuuu~uuut I don't watch tv, sooooo...?


The last train was the one to Ganja Town, STG.

...and captain, as for the recently deleted reply, I suppose it's a good thing I said it was my personal experience, and not how it affects all, isn't it? :-P


Indeed.


>.>

<.<

I... I don't follow...

EDIT: ???; EDIT 2: Ah. Got it. #toostraightlacedtoknow


2 people marked this as a favorite.

...

...

That's adorable! I didn't touch anything until I was at least 21, but I'm pretty sure I knew what THC was when I was like eleven.

But then I've since learned that health classes vary widely from location to location, and there's a reason we have teenagers who have no ooea how basic biology in regard to reproduction works, and the details and effects of drugs, etc. Especially in rural areas, apparently they think of teenagers know about the legitimate consequences of random sexual exploits that they might be more likely to think about it, or that knowing how drugs work might make you want to take them, as if teenagers otherwise aren't always thinking about sex (ha!) or willing to experiment with the unknown in the form of drugs (ha!)

I believe this technique is known as the "bury your head deep enough in the sand and you might just get lucky" approach to education.


Eh, I was pretty up on sexual things - I wasn't kept in the dark at all. I just had zero interest in the other stuff, so anything I ever heard probably just went right out the other ear. (That and I did a report on the affects of "drug abuse" - most expressly crack, but also cocaine, heroin, LSD - and back in early middle school, so I went, "NOPE" from then on to anything remotely resembling "drugs". Except caffeine.) :)


Oddly enough, it was my paper on cannabis in college that actually got me to try it.

When peer reviewed journals are citing multiple sources of evidence that say it doesn't hurt you physically and the mental effects go away after a month of abstinence, and there's zero addictive qualities...and all the rest...well I have a scientific approach to stuff, so that was enough to convince me to give it a shot.

But, as I said, I stopped a few years later due to a few personal problems associated with it (and a few I didn't mention). I still will vote for legalization every time it comes up, though. It's f***ing ridiculous that alcohol is legal and that's not.


I can't say that I disagree, given the effects of alcohol I've seen on many. But that's more because I'm anti-boozahol (due to a wide array of reasons) than I am pro-anything. Buuuu~uuut, that's just me. :)


Ha! I derailed it on weed :-)

Big surprise I first tried it in high school, the summer before junior year, man that was an awesome summer (so I'm told...) Anyway I had a very good excuse, I was an a*@!@*! before then, one of those little high energy perpetual chip on the shoulders and ready to jam it in your face type a##!$%&s, it calmed me down, allowed me to learn to let s#$& go, I don't think I'd be the same relaxed happy go lucky guy I am today if I hadn't, I've never had a problem with motivation or laziness with it.

Of course I don't really get to partake much anymore with kids and one and half income, but I don't have any issues with it and also don't understand its stigma, especially in relation to alcohol, by the way check out Hard Root Beer, amazing stuff!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Substance Derail, Spoiled for Derail:
For more seriousness: I've had more alcohol-related deaths, near-deaths (usually accompanying something excessively expensive and painful), and other issues (medical or otherwise) of friends, family, and similar than I'd be comfortable sharing here. (Because it would be both a needless tonal shift and derail besides.)

Beyond that, and more selfishly, I've always been exceptionally sensitive to the smells of most "strong" things, whether alcohol, smoke (including incense at churches), or chemicals, and this has only increased as I've aged (to the point that I cannot attend services with incense - not won't, can't, because I cannot breathe until I step outside).

So: not gonna happen. So long as you're responsible, though, and harm none? Go for it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

on booze:
My father was an alcoholic, so, yeah, I'm not a fan.

Also, I don't know how that crap runs in families. I mean, I know it does, but why? Yes, you're more likely to get addicted, but why start if you know you're genetically prone? Who in their right mind watches a parent abuse themself as they're growing up and destroy their life and then, when offered the same opportunity, says, "yeah, sure, I'll give that a try"?

Apparently every male in my family for as many generations back as I've learned. I'm half Irish, can you guess which parent? Way to break the mold, bloody stereotypes.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems"


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Green Tea Original Lemon from Pickwick, cooled down overnight and served in a glass of ice cubes.

(I am nowhere near my sencha, so flavoured green tea is a thing again)

Wait... I could pour tea in an ice cube mold and have tea ice cubes that won't dilute my tea as it melts...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

On booze:
Because most people who grow up watching an alcoholic parent destroy their life with alcohol aren't really in their right mind when they start. Often they start drinking young to help cope with the trauma from the alcoholic parent. The tendency towards addiction is passed genetically, but the behavior is learned. And while self-medication is usually disastrous in the long run, in the short run it helps you cope when you don't have other alternatives.

As someone without any family history of alcoholism, I enjoy a drink occasionally, but rarely to the point of drunkenness. Haven't smoked pot in a long time though. Mostly I don't like the actual smoking part of it. Brownies, on the other hand...
Wrestling this back on topic, pot tea is a thing. Apparently works better steeped in milk, since THC is more soluble in fat than in water. If my state ever gets around to legalizing it for recreational use, I'll probably try that.

Currently making myself a nice hot cup of a Ceylon Green OP1.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
thesenchagamer wrote:

Green Tea Original Lemon from Pickwick, cooled down overnight and served in a glass of ice cubes.

(I am nowhere near my sencha, so flavoured green tea is a thing again)

Wait... I could pour tea in an ice cube mold and have tea ice cubes that won't dilute my tea as it melts...

Give that woman a Nobel Prize.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

But what to use? The same flavor that you are now locked into until the tray is gone? Or do you brave the mixing? Some flavors don't go well together.

Sovereign Court

GM_Beernorg wrote:
nummmy....must have Cuban sandwich...pickles, pork, yes please! And of course wash it down with iced black tea with lemon, and no gorram sugar!

This! The cuban sammie is the best sammie and tea shouldn't need so damn much sugar.

As a craftsmen of fine spirits I find the sudden thread shift to teetotalism depressing.....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thearnoldpalmergamer wrote:
But what to use? The same flavor that you are now locked into until the tray is gone? Or do you brave the mixing? Some flavors don't go well together.

If your glass is big enough for one tray of ice cubes (as is the case with the glass I used yesterday), then being flavour locked won't be a problem. Having more ice cube trays with different flavours could also help alleviate the problem.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Don't be sad Pan I enjoy a drink now and then, usually Hard Root Beer, truly outstanding stuff, perfect for summer :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah Pan, don't worry. They probably just got teetotalism and tea totalitarianism—the one true topic of this thread—mixed up. The words do sound similar, after all.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

It's just a cover to mask how drunk they really are:-)

The other possibility is they're trying to work teet into the mix and see what happens....


So, following up on the teetotalism derail: Good mixed drinks with tea?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thesenchagamer wrote:

Green Tea Original Lemon from Pickwick, cooled down overnight and served in a glass of ice cubes.

(I am nowhere near my sencha, so flavoured green tea is a thing again)

Wait... I could pour tea in an ice cube mold and have tea ice cubes that won't dilute my tea as it melts...

Growing up we used to do it with water that we boiled mint in. Went fantastic in lemonade and the cheap iced tea we had then.


thejeff wrote:

So, following up on the teetotalism derail: Good mixed drinks with tea?

A shot of Baileys in a dark tea can replace cream.

An orange flavored vodka or spirit will mix with a lot, especially spiced teas that often already have orange peel. Various other fruit spirits can go with herbal or berry flavored teas. You just gave me the idea to add creme de yvette to a black current tea I have.
Similarly, some spice blends could fit with tea. I can see Galliano, Benedictine, or Absinthe, or Domaine de Canton complimenting a lot of teas.
Goldschlagger (cinnamon) or Rumplemintz (peppermint) could be good additions
Creme de Menthe or Cacao for a sweeter tea with mint or chocolate

God, I may have to start trying some of these when I get home. Too bad it isn't the time of year to experiment with it.


I prefer my nerdy little 'Risan Sunset', an AP with Earl Grey, a splash of light red wine (Klingon Blood Wine) and some Rum(ulan Ale). I don't drink often though, maybe once a month.


I don't even drink alcohol, but if I did, it'd be kombucha.


This guy can't seem to tell the difference...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I stopped taking that serious the minute I read geisha.

...and how the heck do you give stat blocks to your aliases? Do you have any idea how much silliness I need to put background info to? My parody alias alone! Admiral The-Day-Before-Yesterday, Mythic CN John Wilkes Booth, Goblin Cleaver, and StrategyTiger all need to reference their silliness forebears.


Well, how about a bit of early morning Gunfire?


thegreenteagamer wrote:
I stopped taking that serious the minute I read geisha.

You, sir, have not read the premise of the campaign. :)

(Also, I figured it was exactly the only time I would be able to get to use said archetype, ever.)

thegreenteagamer wrote:
...and how the heck do you give stat blocks to your aliases? Do you have any idea how much silliness I need to put background info to? My parody alias alone! Admiral The-Day-Before-Yesterday, Mythic CN John Wilkes Booth, Goblin Cleaver, and StrategyTiger all need to reference their silliness forebears.

I... what? What's the question?

I mean, you just... Edit your Profile...?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I don't put any thought into my aliases, I'm more of an improvisational alias creator, for example......


Are you my Mother?

201 to 250 of 1,140 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Drink Tea with *thegreenteagamer* Here!<< (You can ask questions if you want, too.) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.