Star Wars Rogue One


Movies

251 to 300 of 969 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Krensky wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Krensky wrote:

See, that's just as delusional as the Imps, Freehold.

The Y-Wing was a piece of bantha poodoo during the Clone Wars, and it did not improve with age.

Still, it was better than a TIE.

drunken lies not substantiated by the fiction, Krensky. Bombers are the bane of warships.

It was clearly not bantha poodoo, as shown on the introductory clone wars episode.

Y wing 4 life! Fighters make movies bombers make history!

And yet they aren't used by any force with access to pretty much anything else in their place.

Funny that.

that was explained in fiction as the x wing becoming nonsensically popular due to Yavin 4 as both a snub fighter and a "stick it to the Empire!" point of pride in anti-empire military forces. They got so popular the distributor could not keep up with demand and flawed x wings started being produced, rife with factory flaws.

Y wing remained more dependable, with a host of easily acquired parts, not to mention heavily modifiable. Y wing would shrug off damage that would kill an x wing.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Krensky wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Krensky wrote:

See, that's just as delusional as the Imps, Freehold.

The Y-Wing was a piece of bantha poodoo during the Clone Wars, and it did not improve with age.

Still, it was better than a TIE.

drunken lies not substantiated by the fiction, Krensky. Bombers are the bane of warships.

It was clearly not bantha poodoo, as shown on the introductory clone wars episode.

Y wing 4 life! Fighters make movies bombers make history!

And yet they aren't used by any force with access to pretty much anything else in their place.

Funny that.

that was explained in fiction as the x wing becoming nonsensically popular due to Yavin 4 as both a snub fighter and a "stick it to the Empire!" point of pride in anti-empire military forces. They got so popular the distributor could not keep up with demand and flawed x wings started being produced, rife with factory flaws.

Y wing remained more dependable, with a host of easily acquired parts, not to mention heavily modifiable. Y wing would shrug off damage that would kill an x wing.

* Laughs

Ok, so we can now add "Causes delusional thinking in its pilots" to the Y-Wing's extensive list of flaws.

The only people who used Y-Wings after yhe Cline Wars were those who couldn't get access to X-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wing, E-Wing, pretty much anything else, really.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Y-wings were the workhorse of the alliance.

I think almost every battle of note up to the Battle of Yavin had Y-wings in it.

Personally, I'm an X-wing guy, with a preference to the A-Wing when I'm not in an X-Wing, but Y-wings definitely have their mission and abilities.

You always need the bombers.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Krensky wrote:


The only people who used Y-Wings after yhe Cline Wars were those who couldn't get access to X-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wing, E-Wing, pretty much anything else, really.

Not true. The Y-wing was superior to the X-wing for bombing, with a much heavier warhead load. The B-wing and E-wing cost a a fortune being the newest ships, and the A-Wing has an entirely different role.

And while the Y-wing is old, it is a solid design, outperforming several other designs of the era, such as z-95s, cloakshape fighters, r-41s, and so on.

Let's not even compare it to the uglies that some groups were forced to use, cobbled together out of spare parts from other ships.


I like the xtie(sometimes called deathseeds), but that's about it. There have been some aesthetically interesting ones, but I don't know how they handle.

Scarab Sages

Freehold DM wrote:
I like the xtie(sometimes called deathseeds), but that's about it. There have been some aesthetically interesting ones, but I don't know how they handle.

Yeah. I loved the deathseeds too. It was a shame about what happened to Tal'Dira.

Edit: Speaking of decent uglies, the "clutches" favored by the Invid pirates working for Admiral Tavira were decent too, almost equal to a Tie Defender.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

{googles Clutches, X-Ties/deathseeds, and E-Wings... is sucked passed the event horizon and falls down the Wookieepedia hole}


Yes!

gets ticket punched

Another soul closer to my goal of a real life functioning Y-Wing....

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Y wings are cool. The workhorse of the alliance.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I had a dream once where a neighbor had a Y-wing they had put together and were giving rides to the neighborhood.....

They were having a Barbeque at the same time. Pretty fun dream.

Thought after that, it might not be too hard to at least make a Y-wing frame that can fly low level...

Probably be more expensive than worth it though.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Y wings apparently have trouble flying in atmosphere...


Kalshane wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:

I saw (not heard) the trailer yesterday as someone was watching via phone on the bus and thought to myself, "Oh look, Katniss Everdeen is starring in another movie".

You could also watch 90% of the action movies or TV shows out there and say "Look, it's another brown-haired white guy with a square jaw and permanent beard scruff who never smiles."

I honestly don't care who they cast in the lead as long as they play their part well and the movie is good.

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

Sovereign Court

You do understand that such costuming first happened in Star Wars anyway?


Hama wrote:
You do understand that such costuming first happened in Star Wars anyway?

O_o

I must have missed that movie. If it was something-something-JarJar I definitely missed it.


Quarkblast, surely you aren't saying you think that the first Star Wars movie was the Phantom Menace right? Right? Please don't destroy my faith in humanity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If it helps crush your faith in humanity. My favorite Star Wars movies are the Family Guy Star Wars. :-)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

At least it wasn't the Holiday Special....


I honestly don't really watch much Family Guy anymore. Tho I still occasionally pop an episode on after the kids go to bed. :-)

Scarab Sages

Quark Blast wrote:
Hama wrote:
You do understand that such costuming first happened in Star Wars anyway?

O_o

I must have missed that movie. If it was something-something-JarJar I definitely missed it.

My guess would be that Hama is talking about the design of the various imperial uniforms that were heavily influenced by the design of German uniforms during WW2, especially the Uniforms of the Waffen SS (and a bit of the art-deco design of the late 20's) which also influenced several uniforms / costumes in the Hunger Games movies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quark Blast wrote:

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

When? Granted, I'm not super-familiar with the Hunger Games, but I can't recall a point in the trailer when the costuming seemed to evoke them.


feytharn wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:
Hama wrote:
You do understand that such costuming first happened in Star Wars anyway?

O_o

I must have missed that movie. If it was something-something-JarJar I definitely missed it.

My guess would be that Hama is talking about the design of the various imperial uniforms that were heavily influenced by the design of German uniforms during WW2, especially the Uniforms of the Waffen SS (and a bit of the art-deco design of the late 20's) which also influenced several uniforms / costumes in the Hunger Games movies.

Yes, the capital is all about nuevo-art-deco.


Kalshane wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

When? Granted, I'm not super-familiar with the Hunger Games, but I can't recall a point in the trailer when the costuming seemed to evoke them.

I cringe that you ask that as it seems like baiting but...

In general, since I wasn't hearing the sound at all, I was going from just the imagery/visual presentation.

In particular for the Rogue One Teaser, it was at 1:28 - 1:30. That is soooo Hunger Games: Mockingjay in look that, if I hadn't known better, I would have sworn it was a trailer for Part 3.


GM Niles wrote:
Quarkblast, surely you aren't saying you think that the first Star Wars movie was the Phantom Menace right? Right? Please don't destroy my faith in humanity.

Ah, missed this on my first look back at this thread.

The answer depends on what you mean by "first Star Wars movie".


captain yesterday wrote:
If it helps crush your faith in humanity. My favorite Star Wars movies are the Family Guy Star Wars. :-)

Agreed!

hence my "something-something" allusion ;)

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Quark Blast wrote:
Kalshane wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

When? Granted, I'm not super-familiar with the Hunger Games, but I can't recall a point in the trailer when the costuming seemed to evoke them.

I cringe that you ask that as it seems like baiting but...

In general, since I wasn't hearing the sound at all, I was going from just the imagery/visual presentation.

In particular for the Rogue One Teaser, it was at 1:28 - 1:30. That is soooo Hunger Games: Mockingjay in look that, if I hadn't known better, I would have sworn it was a trailer for Part 3.

I'm pretty sure she's wearing a TIE pilot uniform, like those seen in A New Hope.

I suppose that is similar to the costume Katniss wears in the latest Hunger Games, in that both are black, and include an armored chest-piece, but I'd hardly consider those traits uniquely Hunger-Games-ian.


Benchak the Nightstalker wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:
Kalshane wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

When? Granted, I'm not super-familiar with the Hunger Games, but I can't recall a point in the trailer when the costuming seemed to evoke them.

I cringe that you ask that as it seems like baiting but...

In general, since I wasn't hearing the sound at all, I was going from just the imagery/visual presentation.

In particular for the Rogue One Teaser, it was at 1:28 - 1:30. That is soooo Hunger Games: Mockingjay in look that, if I hadn't known better, I would have sworn it was a trailer for Part 3.

I'm pretty sure she's wearing a TIE pilot uniform, like those seen in A New Hope.

I suppose that is similar to the costume Katniss wears in the latest Hunger Games, in that both are black, and include an armored chest-piece, but I'd hardly consider those traits uniquely Hunger-Games-ian.

This. My first thought was "Tie Fighter Pilot", not Katniss. Which is why I was confused by the comparison.


Kalshane wrote:
This. My first thought was "Tie Fighter Pilot", not Katniss. Which is why I was confused by the comparison.

My thought was the outfit she was wearing in most of the trailer not the armor bit that was shown for 3 seconds. So I was very confused.


Swear to god, I found myself pouring over google image search for pictures of Katniss in a leather jacket with a scarf.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Who?

I must be getting too old.


Krensky wrote:

Who?

I must be getting too old.

{points:} HA-HA! [/Nelson Muntz]

Ooooooo look, I'm also standing on your lawn!

Dark Archive

Elite Stormtrooper Fire Team/Squad, will be Canon after it's release.

#TheEmpireISForever


baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Elite Stormtrooper Fire Team/Squad, will be Canon after it's release.

#TheEmpireISForever

you mean the novatroopers?


Kalshane wrote:
Benchak the Nightstalker wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:
Kalshane wrote:
Quark Blast wrote:

Yeah Hollywood 'types' their leads - male and female.

Totally misses my point!

Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) is costumed up in a way that evokes Katniss Everdeen so strongly she could've been the stand-in for the Mockingjay.

When? Granted, I'm not super-familiar with the Hunger Games, but I can't recall a point in the trailer when the costuming seemed to evoke them.

I cringe that you ask that as it seems like baiting but...

In general, since I wasn't hearing the sound at all, I was going from just the imagery/visual presentation.

In particular for the Rogue One Teaser, it was at 1:28 - 1:30. That is soooo Hunger Games: Mockingjay in look that, if I hadn't known better, I would have sworn it was a trailer for Part 3.

I'm pretty sure she's wearing a TIE pilot uniform, like those seen in A New Hope.

I suppose that is similar to the costume Katniss wears in the latest Hunger Games, in that both are black, and include an armored chest-piece, but I'd hardly consider those traits uniquely Hunger-Games-ian.

This. My first thought was "Tie Fighter Pilot", not Katniss. Which is why I was confused by the comparison.

Because I saw it with no sound, catching it somewhere in the middle, over someone's shoulder, not knowing initially that it was for Rogue One.

As for Kalshane/Benchak the Nightstalker's point.

I don't see the Tie Pilot Uniform from SW:ANH in Felicity's get-up any more than anyone dressed in a black onesie. Don't believe me? Just Google "black onesie" and see for yourself. And remember the "breast plate" for Felicity's get-up isn't so obvious while viewing an iPhone screen from four feet away.

But that still misses my point.

See it again and focus at the time I cited < 1:28 - 1:30 > and you'll see what I mean.

That is a Katniss-doing-a-propo® pose like it was no accident.

Scarab Sages

Sorry, but it doesn't miss your point, it disagrees with your point.

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I've looked at the shot you're talking about. Several times.

And don't get me wrong, I see the similarities.

I just don't see what's uniquely Hunger Games about it. Katniss did not invent the female action hero. She was not the first to wear a black outfit, or turn toward the camera.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Benchak the Nightstalker wrote:

I've looked at the shot you're talking about. Several times.

And don't get me wrong, I see the similarities.

I just don't see what's uniquely Hunger Games about it. Katniss did not invent the female action hero. She was not the first to wear a black outfit, or turn toward the camera.

This. She is in a tie fighter pilot uniform. That's it.

Dark Archive

Snoke the Pretender is NOT in Rogue One in any shape, way or form.

Excellent.

Scarab Sages

That could be a misdirect. After all, was Anakin Skywalker in A New Hope?

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
After all, was Anakin Skywalker in A New Hope?

From a certain point of view.


Imbicatus wrote:
That could be a misdirect. After all, was Anakin Skywalker in A New Hope?

Was it announced before A New Hope came out that Anakin Skywalker wouldn't be in it?

(Of course not, no one had ever heard of Anakin then, but the parallel just doesn't exist.)

More like announcing that the Emperor wouldn't be in The Phantom Menace, which is again technically true, but such a blatant piece of misdirection they wouldn't do it.


Something that has always bothered me is how much Hollywood likes to make characters be related to each other. Characters being descendants of other characters and all that. It has always made the world the stories are set in feel very small to me. It's ok to have characters that aren't part of the bloodlines of other characters from previous stories. It's ok to have characters that don't fall in love with each other. It's ok for characters to not appear in other stories set in the same world that don't involve them. I get that audiences enjoy those kinds of connections, but to me it begins to be too much. I will be happy if no one in Rogue One is connected to anyone else, and I still hope that Rey's parentage will not be any name we know in the Star Wars universe. So I am glad to hear Snoke is not in Rogue One.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
After all, was Anakin Skywalker in A New Hope?
From a certain point of view.

(Sorry.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm with the guy two posts up. Not every single thing has to be connected, this is Star Wars not the MCU.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Mads Mikkelsen is playing the dad of Felicity Jones who plays Jyn Erso in Rogue One.

He is also the "father" of the Super Laser technology on the Death Star.

There you have it, Jyn Erso is the Death Star's sister.

Scarab Sages

Well, at least it looks like Qwi Xux is not going to be re-canonized.


baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Mads Mikkelsen is playing the dad of Felicity Jones who plays Jyn Erso in Rogue One.

He is also the "father" of the Super Laser technology on the Death Star.

There you have it, Jyn Erso is the Death Star's sister.

No...no. That's not true. That's impossible!

Dark Archive

May the Fourth Be With You!


MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Liberty's Edge

Here I figured that the bad Baron would be more into the Revenge of the Fifth.

It's OK, I'll show myself out.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Krensky wrote:
Here I figured that the bad Baron would be more into the Revenge of the Fifth.

Those who have their fifth drink on the Fourth, shall have trouble going fourth on the Fifth.

- Olde Sith Proverb

I'll join Krensky on his way out.

251 to 300 of 969 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Star Wars Rogue One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.