2015 Dark Sun Conversion for Pathfinder


Conversions

401 to 450 of 472 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Thank you for the feat ideas, shadowkras! I will be sure to credit you for contributions to the Conversion Guide.


Quote:

Fully Armed (Thri-Kreen)

Your extra arms are stronger than normal.
Prerequisites: Thri-Kreen, Str 15, Dex 13, Developed Arms
Benefit: Your two extra limbs are even stronger and dexterous, allowing them to be fully used in combat, wielding a weapon in each hand. If attacking with the two extra arms, they suffer a -5 penalty to your attack bonus, but roll using your highest attack bonus.
Special: If your two extra arms have natural weapons, those can be used as secondary weapons with -5 penalty on your highest attack bonus.

I wanted to note that both penalties can be reduced with multiattack (for natural) and multi-weapon fighting (for armed), which im unsure if should be added under "Special".

The -5 penalty is less severe than the one from two-weapon fighting (-6 primary/-10 secondary), so multi-weapon fighting probably isnt a good idea. Or i could say that they work as two-weapon fighting, and that it can be reduced with the TWF feat (to -2/-2).


More feats:

Spoiler:

Cannibalistic Ritual
You can eat part of your fallen foes to obtain power from their strenght.
Prerequisites: Halfling, Wis 13.
Benefit: As a full-round action that causes attacks of opportunity, you can eat part of a dying creature (0 or less hit points) to obtain +1 caster level or +2 strenght for one hour. You must make an attack roll against the target aiming at a vital organ (such as the heart, lungs, or brain) and cause at least one point of damage. If the creature dies from this attack, the effect last for an aditional hour.

Cannibalistic Empowerment
You can eat or sacrifice a creature to obtain enhanced magical power.
Prerequisites: Halfling, Cannibalistic Ritual, caster level 5th, non-Good aligment.
Benefit: With a short ritual that takes one minute, you can remove and eat part of a vital organ (such as the heart, lungs, or brain) of a helpless creature. Alternativelly, you can offer this organ as a sacrifice that must be eaten by someone else. At the end of this ritual you obtain a +1 caster level profane bonus and a +2 profane bonus to any ability score. The creature must be dead at the end of the ritual, otherwise the bonuses are lost. The other creature who ate this organ also gain +2 strenght for the duration of this effect.
The bonuses granted by this effect lasts for 8 hours or until the next time you prepare spells or regain your daily allotment of spells.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Feats Preview: Feats of Athas

I'm working on more, but constructive feedback is welcome.


I see Mul Durability being conflicting with their racial ability called Endless Stamina.

Quote:


Endless Stamina: Athasian muls add a +4 racial bonus to Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments. Additionally, muls gain Endurance as a bonus feat at 1st level.
Quote:

Mul Durability

Much like your dwarven parent, you do not tire easily.
Prerequisites: Mul.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against effects that would make you fatigued or exhausted.

Is the intent to double the racial bonus against fatigue and exhaustion?

Not to mention that a few of those conditions also stack with Endurance, granting a +12 bonus to a lv1 character. Like on swim checks, continue running, forced march and hold your breath.


Awesome catch there, shadowkras! It's been correctified.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Version 1.0 is now live.


Dude, 136 pages, that could go into print already.

A few notes:

Your bestiary is top quality, i will verify the stats in time, but the presentation is pretty good. Some creatures deserved more text though, specially those that are used as beasts of burden or mounts. Like, i know how much a kank can carry, but how much does one cost?

That monster table is exactly what i needed on my dark sun table, i spent a lot of time browing through the bestiaries looking for monsters that are suitable or not to the desertic enviroment, or those that could adapt to athas, or even grabbing templates from the advanced bestiary so the monster could look more "athasian".

About kalidnay, we both know it's in the realm of shadows (ravenloft to be precise) now, right?
The athasian's city is only an empty ruin full of shadows and ghosts of those who died on the draconification ritual, that haunt travellers at night.

We lack a section on adventuring sites, dungeons, or a list with some ruins to adventure and die trying to steal their treasures.

I enjoyed the "gith as characters" stats, but they are way under the average Race Points for athasian races.


The description for the Dark Lens repeats "Possession of the Dark Lens bestows a constant mind blank, protection from evil and protection from good effects upon its possessor." twice.


shadowkras wrote:
Dude, 136 pages, that could go into print already.

I do strive to provide the highest quality product that I can.

shadowkras wrote:

A few notes:

Your bestiary is top quality, i will verify the stats in time, but the presentation is pretty good. Some creatures deserved more text though, specially those that are used as beasts of burden or mounts. Like, i know how much a kank can carry, but how much does one cost?

Thank you. The bestiary is what took the longest, and it was by far and away the least fun for me. I'll have to add in a section in the material goods area about how much mounts and rentals should cost. Thank you for pointing that out!

shadowkras wrote:
That monster table is exactly what i needed on my dark sun table, i spent a lot of time browing through the bestiaries looking for monsters that are suitable or not to the desertic enviroment, or those that could adapt to athas, or even grabbing templates from the advanced bestiary so the monster could look more "athasian".

I felt that was probably more important than even having specifically Athasian monsters.

shadowkras wrote:

About kalidnay, we both know it's in the realm of shadows (ravenloft to be precise) now, right?

The athasian's city is only an empty ruin full of shadows and ghosts of those who died on the draconification ritual, that haunt travellers at night.

I didn't write things to be that way for two very important reasons. First, that would have meant either excluding the city and it's sorcerer-king altogether or adapting Ravenloft rules as well. All of the material is set to take place before the events of the Prism Pentad, and to exclude the idea that things have gone off to other demiplanes.

shadowkras wrote:
We lack a section on adventuring sites, dungeons, or a list with some ruins to adventure and die trying to steal their treasures.

That could potentially be the largest section of the book. I am not reprinting dungeons from old materials, because that's very time consuming and if you really wanted to, you can find those old materials online and use the conversion guide. If this was my own product that I was charging money for, I'd definitely provide you with lists of ruins and treasures. Still, it wasn't a bad point to raise.

shadowkras wrote:
I enjoyed the "gith as characters" stats, but they are way under the average Race Points for athasian races.

I forget how many points they were, but they're definitely below the average for Athasian races. They're probably a standard race value. I'll look into it.

Best wishes!


LordInsane wrote:
The description for the Dark Lens repeats "Possession of the Dark Lens bestows a constant mind blank, protection from evil and protection from good effects upon its possessor." twice.

I'll take care of that. Thank you!


Quote:
That could potentially be the largest section of the book. I am not reprinting dungeons from old materials, because that's very time consuming and if you really wanted to, you can find those old materials online and use the conversion guide. If this was my own product that I was charging money for, I'd definitely provide you with lists of ruins and treasures. Still, it wasn't a bad point to raise.

I meant it more as a quick reference about places. Something like what we see on the campaign setting books with a quick summary of the place could be done. Like, quick story of the dungeon, inhabitants, "boss", population if any, etc.

But you are correct in that we can find those on the old books and adventures.


Bod! 1.0 looks really nice. You did a wonderful job. I look forward to finishing my perusal.

If I may add an opinion on one subject:

You section on water (Page 66) cites the rarity of water and how exhaustion (per the CRB) will play a role. In my opinion this is an area that should be more fleshed out because of its importance relative to the setting. I know I haven't contributed much to this thread over the last year and a half but the "Water Find" rules I posted have worked very well in my home game.

The survival rules for finding water should not work on Athas as written in the CRB. The DC of 10 is way too easy. Your conversion has only a brief blurb on the subject of water, and in the absence of specific new rules, one might assume that the CRB survival rules should still apply.

The original Dark Sun boxed set had a "non-weapon proficiency" available to players called "water find", which is why I kept that as the verbiage for my chart of DCs. This NWP allowed players to find enough water for themselves by spending time (an hour, I think?). This is akin to the Pathfinder survival skill. Finding water should be more difficult than in a typical campaign and I believe having a go-to chart for DCs based on the landscape is helpful in defining a variable instead of ruling on the fly.

Here is a link to my last post on the subject, though the DCs could be honed to a finer perfection.

Furthermore, I might recommend a more punitive set of exhaustion rules relative to lack of water because of the focus on survival in the Dark Sun universe.

-Just some food (water? lol) for thought. I'm not expecting you to throw in my own house-rule into your conversion out of arrogance, but I wanted to share that I've found it helpful and a good way to add the harsh flavor of Athas into the existing Pathfinder ruleset, which I believe is the goal of your conversion.

Whether you think this is worth adding or not, I wanted to thank you for the hard work you've put in on this project. I love Dark Sun and I love Pathfinder, and your work will help me a lot in my next DS campaign.

----------

Edit - I just noticed a section on Skills that cites water as a variable DC but then makes no mention of what DCs/variables are in play. Possible oversight?


Zedth, please refer to page 61, Table 11.

Does this help explain things further?


I'm an idiot, you nailed it. I wasn't reading very closely apparently. (At work so im reading fast during break times). You rock.

If I have one thing that I don't love is your material cost table. I always loved that steel cost 100x the value of a bone/obsidian weapon. Your chart has steel at only 20x cost. To me, 20x isn't costly enough to thrust steel into that upper eschelon of awesomeness and rarity that it could be.

Just my thoughts. Otherwise I'm loving the guide Boz!


Zedth wrote:

I'm an idiot, you nailed it. I wasn't reading very closely apparently. (At work so im reading fast during break times). You rock.

If I have one thing that I don't love is your material cost table. I always loved that steel cost 100x the value of a bone/obsidian weapon. Your chart has steel at only 20x cost. To me, 20x isn't costly enough to thrust steel into that upper eschelon of awesomeness and rarity that it could be.

Just my thoughts. Otherwise I'm loving the guide Boz!

Thanks for the praise on the guide!

So here's why I only set steel at 20x cost.

Let's say that you have a steel dagger, which in normal Pathfinder costs 2 gp. On Athas, a normal steel dagger now costs 40gp (ceramic pieces, actually, but we're trying to do accurate comparisons). I felt that 200gp (again, ceramic pieces) for a steel dagger was excessive, considering the fact that your average merchant (say they're level 5; merchants don't need to be high level) will only make maybe 2.5 gold (ceramic) pieces a week, out of which, they'll have basic living expenses. I'd say that, conservatively, they could save a silver (ceramic bit) per week to save up for that dagger (bear in mind that a silver, or ceramic bit, that represents a lot of accumulated wealth for an NPC). That means that in regular Pathfinder, it would take them 20 weeks (or a little less than half a year) to save up for a steel dagger. On Athas, it would take them 400 weeks (or roughly 8 years) to save up for a steel dagger (if they could even manage to save up that amount and not have that "fortune" be stolen). In ye olde D&D Dark Sun times, it would have taken 38.4 years to save up for a steel dagger. That's greater than the average life expectancy of most Athasians.

As it stands now, a PC can get a steel dagger, but it represents a huge chunk of their starting "cash on hand". A steel longsword is so expensive that they couldn't buy it until 2nd level (38% of a PC's resources, 81% of an NPC's total resources at 3rd level; and you would not have much left over for anything else). If I went with ye olde D&D Dark Sun rules (100x cost for steel), that steel longsword wouldn't be able to be purchased until 3rd (91% of a PC's resources, 87% of an NPC's resources at 6th level; which isn't a huge difference for the PC). Bear in mind, ye old D&D Dark Sun rules didn't have character wealth by level, so you kind of had to "eyeball" it.

Basically, I didn't want to price steel so far out of the wealth a PC can accumulate that they can only get steel when they become ultra-high level. A suit of full plate armour would cost 15,000 ceramic pieces in ye olde Dark Sun rules, or 92% of a PC's resources by 11th level (or 86% of an NPC's resources at 15th level). As it stands now, it's going to cost 3,000 ceramic pieces, which is 87% of a 5th level PC's resources, or 100% of an 8th level NPC's resources.

Making +1 (steel) chainmail is going to cost you 750 ceramic pieces, plus 1,000 ceramic pieces if you can find someone to enchant it for you. +5 Steel chainmail will run you 750 ceramic pieces for the chainmail and 25,000 ceramic pieces for the enchantment. You can't even purchase that until 13th level as a PC or 17th as an NPC. Changing it to 4,750 for the +1 steel chainmail and 28,750 for the +5 steel chainmail isn't going to affect the rarity overmuch.

But that's just my two ceramic bits. (Inflation, man...)

Best wishes!


I moved the 20x price to bronze weapons/armor, and left steel as 100x.

Bronze is much easier to work than steel (which requires mixing alloys) and according to the books, easier to find in athas.

The only difference between the two are natural 1s, health and hardness.

Quote:
15,000 ceramic pieces in ye olde Dark Sun rules

Considering the volume of necessary steel to make a full plate, thats more than justified and an epic armor piece without any magical enhancement.

IMO, steel should be so rare that we won't see stuff made of steel being sold by merchants, specially because of the requirements to work on steel (mainly because of charcoal). If we look at the cementation process we will understand why steel should be so rare on most cities (to not say, nonexistant).

Remember, iron (which is used to mix steel) is nearly as rare and expensive as bronze on pathfinder rules (ultimate equip and ultimate combat i believe), and works exactly as bronze (natural 1 equals broken condition).


Point. I can make the change.


Bodhizen wrote:
As it stands now, a PC can get a steel dagger, but it represents a huge chunk of their starting "cash on hand". A steel longsword is so expensive that they couldn't buy it until 2nd level (38% of a PC's resources, 81% of an NPC's total resources at 3rd level;...

In my Dark Sun games, PC's don't even get near a steel weapon until at least 5th or 6th level, and that's usually because they looted one from a tough foe as opposed to purchasing one. 99% of commoner NPCs will never own a metal tool or weapon and the few that do are high level or wealthy.

I love the rich flavor of having to use obsidian, bone, and traditional wooden weapons for much of the heroes' careers. It adds a layer of danger and interest that you just can't get outside of Dark Sun. Another way to look at it - Dark Sun emphasizes the use of weapons/armor made out of alternate materials, and so making those rules nearly obsolete/irrelevant by level 2 seems counterproductive to keeping in theme.


Zedth wrote:
Bodhizen wrote:
As it stands now, a PC can get a steel dagger, but it represents a huge chunk of their starting "cash on hand". A steel longsword is so expensive that they couldn't buy it until 2nd level (38% of a PC's resources, 81% of an NPC's total resources at 3rd level;...

In my Dark Sun games, PC's don't even get near a steel weapon until at least 5th or 6th level, and that's usually because they looted one from a tough foe as opposed to purchasing one. 99% of commoner NPCs will never own a metal tool or weapon and the few that do are high level or wealthy.

I love the rich flavor of having to use obsidian, bone, and traditional wooden weapons for much of the heroes' careers. It adds a layer of danger and interest that you just can't get outside of Dark Sun. Another way to look at it - Dark Sun emphasizes the use of weapons/armor made out of alternate materials, and so making those rules nearly obsolete/irrelevant by level 2 seems counterproductive to keeping in theme.

Agreed. I'm making the changes now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Here are some rules and house rules im using on my campaign. Some tables are from either the core books or the ultimate campaign, others are custom made using 4rd ed material, or @Zedth's and @Bodhizen's material.

Travel Time (one hex)
Party Speed | Plains | Other
15 ft | 11 hours | 16 hours
20 ft | 8 hours | 12 hours
30 ft | 5 hours | 8 hours
40 ft | 4 hours | 6 hours
50 ft | 3 hours | 5 hours

Exploration Time (one hex, 100 xp per hex)
Party Speed | Plains/Hills | Other | Mountains
15 ft | 3 days | 4 days | 5 days
20 ft | 2 days | 3 days | 4 days
30 ft | 1 day | 2 days | 3 days
40 ft | 1 day | 1 days | 2 days
50 ft | 1 day | 1 days | 1 days

Random Encounters (once per hex or per day, 25 extra XP per hex)
d% - Result
01-50 - Nothing
51-80 - Hazard
81-100 - Monster

Terrain Features (Hex Generation)
d20 - Terrain Feature
1-3 - Feature
4-10 - Hunting Grounds
11-12 - Resource (Oasis)
13-14 - Secret
15-19 - Standard (Nothing special)
20 - Village or Tribe (10 - 100 people, uncharted)

Each terrain type is a desert somehow, with a few exception on the verdant areas, so the sandy flats follow the desert features of the ultimate campaign. Scrub Lands, Mud Flats, Savannah and Verdant Plains are plains on the UCam. Boulder Fields, Story Barrens and Rocky Badlands are hills on the UCam. Marshes and Salt Marshes are marshes on UCam. The Verdant Belt and areas with strong vegetation (such as the areas around gulg) are forests on UCam.
I will post more on this later.

Desert Types (or Terrain Types) and their standard characteristics:

Boulder Fields: Movement one slower.
Dust Sinks: Swim DC + 5.
Mountains:
Mudflats: Movement two slower, monster encounters at 01-10 on the random encounter table (this reflects a 10% extra encounter chance).
Rocky Badlands: Climb DC + 2, movement one slower.
Salt Flats: Monster encounters at 95-100 on the random encounter table (nothing otherwise).
Salt Marshers: Movement one slower.
Sandy Wastes: +2 on Survival to avoid getting lost if it has any special feature, but a +10 on the check DC otherwise if they are looking for something on the hex. Ignore the penalty if they are simply travelling through the hex.
Scrub Plains: Monster encounters at 01-10.
Stony Barrens: Party can either move one category slower or take 1 point of lethal damage per hour travelling.
Verdant Belt: Falling Trees with 5% chance per hour travelling.
Obsidian Plains:
Sea of Silt: Swim DC + 5, movement one slower.

Survival Checks to obtain Food or Water (base DC is 10 plus the modifiers on the table)
Desert Types (or Terrain Types) | Survival Modifier | Water
Boulder Fields* | + 15 | No
Dust Sinks* | + 15 | No
Mountains | + 5 | Yes
Mud Flats | + 5 | Yes
Rocky Badlands | + 10 | Yes
Salt Flats* | + 20 | No
Salt Marshes | + 10 | Yes (salt)
Sandy Wastes | + 5 | No
Scrub Plains | + 10 | Yes
Stony Barrens* | + 15 | No
Verdant Belt | + 0 | Yes
Obsidian Plains | + 25 | No
Sea of Silt | + 20 | No
Savannah | + 5 | Yes
Swamp | + 5 | Yes
Verdant Plains | + 5 | Yes
Ocean | + 0 (+10 on get lost DC) | Yes (salt)

One additional food or water portion per + 2 above the Survival DC.
Terrains marked with an * are barrens, and have no natural vegetation or wildlife, players might find something if the hex has a resource feature, such as an oasis, or cacti that they can extract water from.

Random Weather
d100 | Result | Heat Level
01-70 | Hot, calm (moderate winds) | 2
71-80 | Hot, windy (Strong winds) | 3
81-90 | Duststorm (severe winds) | 3
91-99 | Siltstorm (as windstorm) | 3
100 | Firestorm (heat deals lethal damage) | 4

Heat level follows the rules for severe heat and characters must make a Fortitude check after a certain period, with a base DC 15.
Heat Level | Damage | Check Period
1 | 1 | one day
2 | 2 | twece hours
3 | 1d6 | six hours
4 | 1d6 (lethal) | one hour
5 | 1d6 (lethal) | one minute

Heat level 5 is rare, and should be used for the fire elemental plane or the surface of a volcano and similar enviroments, where there is no direct contact, but the heat is so strong that will cook characters in a few minutes if they don't find protection or magical resistances.

Starvation: A character can go 3 days without food, but has make a Fortitude check DC 10 + 1 per day without food or takes 1d6 non-lethal damage that can only be healed once he has eaten at least one portion of food.
Thirst: A character can one one day without water, plus their constitution hours. After that time they must make a Fortitude check DC 10 + 1 per hour or take 1d6 non-lethal damage that can only be healed once he has taken at least one portion of water.

Portions of food/water: Enough food or water to keep one small or medium creature sustained. Large characters must take twice this amount to remain healthy. Characters can ration their food and water, taking one portion every two days (actually eating and drinking less), but will remain Fatigued (-2 strength and dexterity) for a full day while doing so. If they become Fatigued due to another condition, they become Exhausted instead.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Version 1.1 is now live.


First, this is pretty incredible - thanks for putting in all of the work.

In other news, it looks like it's just that the file hasn't been renamed (steel is showing as x100 cost) but the filename says "...V.1.0".

I'm planning on running a game using these rules and the story from Shattered Lands - I'll let you know how it goes once I get around to sorting out the slave pens/arena.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thank you for the praise.

I know the file didn't rename, but that's okay. I'm just hoping that people are enjoying using it at their tables.

Dark Archive

A fairly big error, but where it is supposed to show the archetypes available to a Witch... it actually shows Summoner archetypes.
-----------------------

Also, why is it that the Augur is not an available archetype for the Skald?

From what I can tell there's nothing in the archetype that is anything out of the ordinary, and when it comes to divination both the Faded Champion and Visionary are available elsewhere. The former to the Skald and the latter to the Shaman... that, and I can see the class ability Monster Insight be extremely helpful as well approprite, as who would not what to identify the abilities and weaknesses of creatures?

At most, the archetype would just need to have a change of fluff.


Good to see the free finalized Dark-Sun PF adaptation format at long last. ;)


Any chance for a monster supplement? Thanks


7 people marked this as a favorite.
LordNull wrote:
Any chance for a monster supplement? Thanks

What do you mean?

Here4daFreeSwag wrote:
Good to see the free finalized Dark-Sun PF adaptation format at long last. ;)

Thank you.

JonathonWilder wrote:

A fairly big error, but where it is supposed to show the archetypes available to a Witch... it actually shows Summoner archetypes.

-----------------------

Also, why is it that the Augur is not an available archetype for the Skald?

From what I can tell there's nothing in the archetype that is anything out of the ordinary, and when it comes to divination both the Faded Champion and Visionary are available elsewhere. The former to the Skald and the latter to the Shaman... that, and I can see the class ability Monster Insight be extremely helpful as well approprite, as who would not what to identify the abilities and weaknesses of creatures?

At most, the archetype would just need to have a change of fluff.

One of the reasons is that I'm not changing the enrichment text. That, and the archetypes are suggested due to their mechanics and enrichment text, but none of them are explicitly forbidden.

Regardless, Version 1.2 is live.


Monsters from Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix II Terrors Beyond Tyr. And MC12 Dark Sun Appendix Terrors of the Desert, such as Drake, Athasian.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordNull wrote:
Monsters from Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix II Terrors Beyond Tyr. And MC12 Dark Sun Appendix Terrors of the Desert, such as Drake, Athasian.

Considering the amount of time and effort that went into converting the monsters in the existing bestiary for this conversion... I'm going to have to go with, "I'm not going to do it, but if someone else wants to convert all of those monsters, I'd be willing to consider putting them in."


I know I haven't posted here in a while, but the book looks great. <thumbs up>

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hmm, given how Skald's get to keep spellcasting, I do believe I will have my own character concept be this instead of Bard as the lose of spells was a disappointment. The Skald does also allow for a few additional choices in how to build my character I feel most true to his concept. At the very least, I can still have him be a skilled illusionist in addition to a storyteller, scholar, and traveler.


I was going to keep the Pathfinder bard or at least make the archivist the standard. Since I always wanted a poisoner based class the bard might be that class.

Dark Archive

wraithstrike wrote:
I was going to keep the Pathfinder bard or at least make the archivist the standard. Since I always wanted a poisoner based class the bard might be that class.

Which is fine, and yes a more poison focused bard is true to the setting of Dark Sun.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

First off, fantastic job. As someone who did a conversion of Dark Sun (AD&D to Hackmaster), I know exactly how you feel. I only wish mine was as pretty :)

That aside, thought I'd point a few things out.

1. Thri-kreen should have a 40 movement. I know it's a powerful race as it is, but they've always been fast in every edition. I know pathfinder frowns on putting penalties, the thri-kreen have a few. Thri-Kreens of Athas had lots of good weakness. Top ones I used was their inability to swim due to weight and this breathing hole they can't close. I know it's Athas, but hey there's some water. Also, they can't eat vegetables without getting sick. Here's from my conversion "Almost totally carnivorous. Mere taste of a plant usually makes them sicken. Only a few herbs, spices, and fruits with magical effects (potions) can be safely eaten."

Guess I'm just used to bug butt thrikreens too :) So heavy they break things.

2. There are technically two monk orders in Nibenay. The Exalted Order and Serene Bliss (first male, second female). Though they mention psionics, they also call them monks.

3. You're missing Aarakocra and Pterran from the list of PC races. Any plans to add?

4. Wild Talents - I might suggest expanding that section to allow a larger selection of powers and using psionic/psychic points instead of 2/day. Wild Talents could be anything back in the AD&D Dark Sun days with the ability to at least cast it once a day. Just a suggest. This post has a good example. I'm sure it can be setup for Psychic too.

5. I noticed no mention of the other Psionic Classes, such as Aegis, Cryptic, Dread, Soulknife, Tactician, Vitalist. It's not like they couldn't be used without an entry. Some may not fit as well as others, but really gives you that ability for pure psionic class groups with these other classes.

Overall, I love the work you put in. Plan to use it..


Good to see some free HackMastery adaptation of Dark Sun out there too. ;)


Wanted to chime in and say that this looks pretty cool, keep up the good work!


Wow this is awesome!!!


I have a fan made (not by me) dark sun pathfinder book too! Its at 244 pages. But I have no idea how to send it around on this forum. I have a google account but don't use google. I tend to use Sribd as my source for fan ebook stuff. If someone could tell me how you can post pdf's here I would post my dark sun pathfinder copy I have.... I love your one though. It's pretty boss!


Klay Fireheart wrote:
I have a fan made (not by me) dark sun pathfinder book too! Its at 244 pages. But I have no idea how to send it around on this forum. I have a google account but don't use google. I tend to use Sribd as my source for fan ebook stuff. If someone could tell me how you can post pdf's here I would post my dark sun pathfinder copy I have.... I love your one though. It's pretty boss!

You can include a link to the site by proper formatting. To see how, click the hide button down at the bottom.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just checking in. I hope everyone is enjoying the free pdf! So, paying work has been taking up my time (Feel free to check out Starjammer!), but I will be addressing some of the questions here (Just not tonight; it's late for me).

Best wishes, all!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DarkLCD wrote:

First off, fantastic job. As someone who did a conversion of Dark Sun (AD&D to Hackmaster), I know exactly how you feel. I only wish mine was as pretty :)

That aside, thought I'd point a few things out.

1. Thri-kreen should have a 40 movement. I know it's a powerful race as it is, but they've always been fast in every edition. I know pathfinder frowns on putting penalties, the thri-kreen have a few. Thri-Kreens of Athas had lots of good weakness. Top ones I used was their inability to swim due to weight and this breathing hole they can't close. I know it's Athas, but hey there's some water. Also, they can't eat vegetables without getting sick. Here's from my conversion "Almost totally carnivorous. Mere taste of a plant usually makes them sicken. Only a few herbs, spices, and fruits with magical effects (potions) can be safely eaten."

Guess I'm just used to bug butt thrikreens too :) So heavy they break things.

2. There are technically two monk orders in Nibenay. The Exalted Order and Serene Bliss (first male, second female). Though they mention psionics, they also call them monks.

3. You're missing Aarakocra and Pterran from the list of PC races. Any plans to add?

4. Wild Talents - I might suggest expanding that section to allow a larger selection of powers and using psionic/psychic points instead of 2/day. Wild Talents could be anything back in the AD&D Dark Sun days with the ability to at least cast it once a day. Just a suggest. This post has a good example. I'm sure it can be setup for Psychic too.

5. I noticed no mention of the other Psionic Classes, such as Aegis, Cryptic, Dread, Soulknife, Tactician, Vitalist. It's not like they couldn't be used without an entry. Some may not fit as well as others, but really gives you that ability for pure psionic class groups with these other classes.

Overall, I love the work you put in. Plan to use it.

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback! Now that I have a moment, I'll address your comments.

1. I was attempting to keep Thri-Kreen (and other races) true to their thematic representations of their original iterations, but also somewhat balanced. As my "interpretation" of Thri-Kreen are already pretty buff, I felt that a speed of 40' was overkill. However, if you feel strongly about it, I'd recommend replacing Jumper with Fast, which would drop the total RP to 24.

2. I'm not sure what you're trying to say by addressing this point. Can you clarify, please?

3. I left out the aarakocra and pterran on purpose for a couple of different reasons. First, they were not included in the original box setting; they were added later. Second, I felt that things were a little race-heavy as-is, and I didn't feel like putting two more races into the document. They never saw much in the way of inclusion in the material. No huge, notable pterran or aarakocra NPCs or storylines. At present, there aren't any plans to add them in, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

4. I'd thought about it, but I didn't want to go too far with the Wild Talents. I realize just about everyone gets them, but that's no specific justification for making them uber-awesome (and subject to power creep).

5. The other psionic classes were left out because they don't really fit the setting all that well. Sure, they could be used, but only the psion, psychic warrior and wilder really fit the original setting.

Best wishes, and thanks for the input!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

If someone can get me a list of all of the 2nd Ed sources for Dark Sun specific monsters (other then ones like the gith pirates that are technically IP forbidden) I can convert them, since I can easily get the sources legally, but I don't remember them all right off hand. I'm working on an amalgam campaign world that uses Dark Sun, Dragonmech, the Lone Wolf adventure book settings by Joe Dever converted over from the 3.5 iteration, and three other homebrew settings as separate continents on one world. I would love to add in the monster sets.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You can find a lot of them here if you do a search for Athas. You won't find everything that way, but there's a lot.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Many books had monsters in the setting books and adventures (Black spine even had stats for kobolds, orcs and such...), but there were two DS monstrous compendiums (Terrors of the desert and Terrors beyond Tyr). Those and the base set will probably give you enough to start.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A lot of them have also flopped over into the 3.5 Monster Manuals as well, like the psurlon,etc. That makes things even easier. I'll get started this wekk.

The Exchange

Sorry, someone's using this system for a game I'm applying for. I'm curious about Tigones(for animal companion). They have rake, but no pounce nor grab. Is it intentional? Also as they are psions, with like 14 int, do they speak a language/do they have telepathy?


This is freaking cool, especially that Bestiary...wow!
I personally wish you'd have just went with Ultimate Psionics and scrapped the Occult crap, but at least you gave people the option of which system to use. And with your framework as a guide, I can always just remove the Occult classes and add in the rest of the psionic ones with little difficulty.


So, with the x100 cost for steel weapons, and looking at the Armed with Steel trait, you can get...Brass Knuckles? I mean, even a Dagger is more than 100 Ceramic Pieces, right? Or am I missing something? Just curious how the trait is supposed to work.


ignuspyre wrote:
So, with the x100 cost for steel weapons, and looking at the Armed with Steel trait, you can get...Brass Knuckles? I mean, even a Dagger is more than 100 Ceramic Pieces, right? Or am I missing something? Just curious how the trait is supposed to work.

The trait is meant to offer you a rare treat (steel!) but not to give you something game-breaking at level 1. It essentially limits you to a free short spear, light hammer, or handful of arrows/bolts made of steel.

401 to 450 of 472 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Conversions / 2015 Dark Sun Conversion for Pathfinder All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.