I REALLY hate deeper darkness


Pathfinder Society

51 to 59 of 59 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Dorothy Lindman wrote:
Cao Phen wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Nonmagical sources of light, such as torches and lanterns, do not increase the light level in an area of darkness.
They still radiate light, but since Darkness prevents them from increasing the current light level, they do nothing until the magical darkness is counteracted.
Is that text also in Deeper Darkness? One of the causes of confusion is that the various darkness and light spells don't use the same wording, so it's really hard to determine intent.
Deeper Darkness wrote:
This spell functions as darkness, except ...

So yes, that includes all the shutdown nonmagical and equal level magic light sources language.

Silver Crusade

Dorothy Lindman wrote:
Cao Phen wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Nonmagical sources of light, such as torches and lanterns, do not increase the light level in an area of darkness.
They still radiate light, but since Darkness prevents them from increasing the current light level, they do nothing until the magical darkness is counteracted.
Is that text also in Deeper Darkness? One of the causes of confusion is that the various darkness and light spells don't use the same wording, so it's really hard to determine intent.

Deeper darkness incorporates the wording of Darkness:

"This spell functions as darkness, except that objects radiate darkness in a 60-foot radius and the light level is lowered by two steps. Bright light becomes dim light and normal light becomes darkness. Areas of dim light and darkness become supernaturally dark. This functions like darkness, but even creatures with darkvision cannot see within the spell's confines.

This spell does not stack with itself. Deeper darkness can be used to counter or dispel any light spell of equal or lower spell level."

Silver Crusade

I was going through my pdfs (since I'm recovering from surgery and can't do much else) and noticed another counter:

From Inner Sea World Guide: Shield of the Dawnflower. It's a fire shield with the light subtype that radiates light as continual flame but does not include energy resistance. Since it's level 4, it would suppress deeper darkness spells.

Available as a scroll for 2PP--too bad you wouldn't be able to read a scroll within the area of darkness.

School evocation [fire, good, light]; Level bard 4, cleric/oracle 4,
magus 4, paladin 4, ranger 4

Sovereign Court

Elder Basilisk wrote:
Cao Phen wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Nonmagical sources of light, such as torches and lanterns, do not increase the light level in an area of darkness.
They still radiate light, but since Darkness prevents them from increasing the current light level, they do nothing until the magical darkness is counteracted.

That is embarrassing.

Other ways to deal with it darkness. Pathfinder society field guide equipment trick. Sunrod, "like the sun" use a sunrise as an additional material component for a spell with the light descriptor-the spell is treated as one level higher for all purposes, including the calculation of saving throw dcs and it's ability to overcome sources of magical darkness. So, apply that to a casting of continual flame or daylight to eliminate the need for heighten spell.

Another option from the same source: dayfinder enhancement for a wayfinder. 10 pp and the wayfinder will replicate daylight for 1 minute once per day.

Other than those options, horn of fog and/or smokesticks to even the playing field seen like the best easily accessible counters.

Took me all the way to the end of Page 1 until someone posted my suggestion. My Oracle also hates it when we run into Deeper Darkness and nobody has a salve of daylight, which I hear is the cheapest method of battling it. I however, love random books and the Pathfinder Society Field Guide has a fun wayfinder enhancement for 10 prestige called a Dayfinder that lets you cast Daylight for 1 minute once per day. Sadly I've yet to use it now that I have it, but it's good to know I can just grab my wayfinder from around my neck and BAM, free daylight. :)


From somewhere around level 3-4 all of my characters always carry an oil of daylight.

At level 3 it is moderately painful to purchase. Later on, characters are so rich it is nearly negligible.

Grand Lodge 2/5 RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Elder Basilisk wrote:
Since it's level 4, it would suppress deeper darkness spells.

Or more precisely, it would fail to be suppressed by deeper darkness.

Shadow Lodge

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

There's always the Keen Scent feat for Half-Orcs.

Helps proof them against darkness or invisible enemies.

Grand Lodge 5/5

NewtonPulsifer wrote:
Joseph Kellogg wrote:
You can get vials of djezet from [REDACTED], which you can buy and give to a level 7+ cleric to get a 4th-level daylight.
Not PFS legal to buy, so [REDACTED] must mean it's a chronicle only purchase...

The redacted scenario has it on the chronicle.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

Elder Basilisk wrote:

I was going through my pdfs (since I'm recovering from surgery and can't do much else) and noticed another counter:

From Inner Sea World Guide: Shield of the Dawnflower. It's a fire shield with the light subtype that radiates light as continual flame but does not include energy resistance. Since it's level 4, it would suppress deeper darkness spells.

Available as a scroll for 2PP--too bad you wouldn't be able to read a scroll within the area of darkness.

School evocation [fire, good, light]; Level bard 4, cleric/oracle 4,
magus 4, paladin 4, ranger 4

I linked it earlier up thread.

51 to 59 of 59 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / I REALLY hate deeper darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.