Price increase in Pathfinder tales


Product Discussion


Why the sudden 50% increase in the price of pathfinder tales starting from the June novel?


Check the news post.
TOR will take over publishing, using what appears to be trade paperback format, but add E books.


Cornielius wrote:

Check the news post.

TOR will take over publishing, using what appears to be trade paperback format, but add E books.

I have read it and I am not sure what switching to a trade paperback means.

Does it mean we will be getting larger books? I am not talking about the size of the physical book (which will be bigger) I am talking about the actual word count of the novels.
I also understand that there will be better quality of paper, am I correct?


I think they said it would be the same length of books, but also they're still only charging the current price for subscribers.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It means that Pathfinder Tales are going mainstream.


Rastrum wrote:
I think they said it would be the same length of books, but also they're still only charging the current price for subscribers.

That seems very good news, do you have a quote for that?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Here

James Sutter wrote:
The MSRP on these is going up to $14.99, but we'll be offering a 30% discount on paizo.com (for subscribers AND non-subscribers), so you'll keep paying essentially the same amount, just with trade paperbacks instead of mass markets!

30% off $14.99 is $10.49, so it's slightly more expensive. Also, they will probably not be able to continue offering the free digital copy.

James Sutter wrote:
We probably will *not* be able to continue doing a free ePub with print copies—you'll have to choose whether you want print or ebooks—but at long last we'll be on the Kindle!

Don't know if they'll throw in anything extra for subscribers, as without the free digital copy and with the discount applying to all orders, there doesn't seem to be much reason left to subscribe vs. just ordering what you want when it comes out.


Gotta' reach that kindle audience. Good move.


leo1925 wrote:

I have read it and I am not sure what switching to a trade paperback means.

Does it mean we will be getting larger books? I am not talking about the size of the physical book (which will be bigger) I am talking about the actual word count of the novels.
I also understand that there will be better quality of paper, am I correct?

Both are the same written length, however a trade paperback (TP) is physically larger (around the size of a hardcover) while a mass market paperback (MMP) is usually 6 3/4" tall and 4 1/4" wide. A TP is normally of higher quality paper (usually acid-free) while a MMP may begin to degrade or fall apart after being read a number of times. A TP may also have better binding whereas a MMP can have problems with staying in one piece.

The Pathfinder Tales have all been mass market paperback up until this point. I never really had any problems with the format, in fact I prefer it so it matches all my other books.


Ok things aren't as bad as i thought, the no getting the digital version might be an issue if it includes subscribers.


yeah...not having kindle had to be severely limiting their sales compared to comparable fantasy books

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Paizo Products / Product Discussion / Price increase in Pathfinder tales All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Product Discussion